Start by marking “Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!” as Want to Read:
Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!

Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!

In this epistolary middle grade novel, Vivy Cohen won't let autism stop her from playing baseball--not when she has a major-league pitcher as her pen pal.

Vivy Cohen wants to play baseball. Ever since her hero, Major League star pitcher VJ Capello, taught her how to throw a knuckleball at a family fun day for kids with autism, she's been perfecting her pitch. And now s
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!

Start your review of Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen!
Scott
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. I helped coach my own autistic son's team the year he played until A Very Bad Thing happened and left him (understandably) afraid to keep playing.

Kapit perfectly captures the voice of a girl with a dream that almost nobody else wants her to have.

Like all the best baseball books, this one is about so much more than baseball. It's about dreams, relationships (good and bad), hero worship, family, and a very driven young girl determined to make her own choices.
Arianne Costner
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh yessss. I got to read an early version of this book and it was SO charming. Vivy is a lovable protagonist with lots of passion/drive. There are enough sports in the book that it will interest kids who like sports, but not enough to discourage those who don't. A good balance. And the ownvoices aspect is really cool and needed in kidlit
Gina Loveless
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cbmb-ba
I had a chance to read an ARC of this book and WOW. It delivers in every possible way. You want to get behind Vivy, let me tell you! Covers so many great topics for MGers to read about: team dynamics, bullying, autism, acceptance, verbalization. Sarah makes all of these topics accessible for the younger audience. Highly, highly recommend!
Rajani LaRocca
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an Advance Reader Copy of this book. GET A GRIP, VIVY COHEN is about a young autistic girl who can throw a mean knuckleball...and all she wants it to be able to play baseball. She writes to a Major League knuckleball pitcher, and to her surprise, he writes her back. This book is perfect MG combination of funny and heartfelt, and it made me tear up for the best reasons. I LOVE this book, and so will so many kids!
Kit
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, disabled-rep
I've read through a pretty early version and later excerpts and it was delightfully written. I'm thrilled to have a well-written autistic protagonist hit the shelves, too! I especially enjoyed the strong voice of the character Vivy, and the struggle to prove oneself as disabled person is all too real.
rachelwrites007
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I beta read this during Pitch Wars 2017 and loved it. Middle school me would’ve appreciated seeing a girl with the same issues as me on page & #ownvoices! and would’ve loved the letter writing that Vivy does. (The whole book is written like that!) I can’t wait to read the final version
Julie Christensen
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I let my kids read this book before I got to it, and they loved it. They are 12 and 10, girl and boy. I'm posting their reviews here:

The 12-year old girl:
"I think that, first of all, the book was absolutely fantastic!! It was a very good and unique idea to write through the eyes of someone with autism. It was nice to have a different perspective. When I read the book, parts of it were sad, and since the book was so realistic, I was sad, too. The same sort of thing happened when parts of t
Katie Reilley
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grateful to the author and Penguin Kids for sharing an ARC with MG Book Village!

While attending a baseball game through the Autism Foundation, Vivy meets pitcher VJ Capello, who talks with her about how to throw a knuckleball. Vivy works on her pitch daily (for three years!) and really grows in her skill.

When a coach sees Vivy practicing her knuckleball with her older brother and asks her to join his team, she’s thrilled. But trying to convince her mom to let her play baseball is tough. Mom is
Lisa
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vivy is a girl and she is autistic, but she knows how to throw a knuckleball and is not going to let anything stop her from playing the sport she loves. The entire story is written in letters between Vivy and a major league pitcher she admires, VJ Capello. Vivy has a lot of personality and learns to use her voice to speak up for herself. Readers will root for Vivy as she strives to overcome obstacles that threaten to get in the way of her baseball pitching.
Stacy Hackney
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this wonderful story about an autistic girl who wants to play baseball. It was so heartwarming and funny. The epistolary style really works here and Vivy's voice is spot-on. This will appeal to any MG reader. Highly recommend!
Emily Pripas
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I loved the idea, but I've never been all that into baseball. This book made me care about baseball! Vivy is a great character, and it made me happy to read.
Diana Johnson
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great story told from the point of view of an autistic girl full of heartwarming and laugh-out-loud moments. Vivy positively leaps off the page into the readers heart. I loved seeing the world of baseball and life a s a middle-schooler through Vivy’s eyes. Thank you Sarah Kapit for an important story. I’m sure many kids and families need this book and will love it as much as I did.
Rachel

• The Chalk Giraffe
  • For Black Girls Like Me
  • Weird Little Robots
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents