Start by marking “River of Souls” as Want to Read:
River of Souls

River of Souls

Undeath is a manageable condition.

That's what the media says, anyway: with the help of the miracle life-extension drug, Lazarus, the Undead can retain their humanity and live normal, happy lives. Without it, they become violent, mindless walking corpses.

Davin Montoya was eager to believe all of that. Forced to drop out of college to take care of his teenage sister, Zoe,
Published August 23rd 2019 by Trepidatio Publishing

To ask other readers questions about River of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Souls

Start your review of River of Souls
Bark
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I, probably like many of you, have ODd on zombies a little. Not so much in fiction, for me, but in movies and tv and Id be lying if I said I wasnt a little wary of them. Sure, Ill stick with The Walking Dead as it stumbles to its slow, cruel death because I am a glutton for punishment but I dont seek out zombie novels to read in my spare time unless theyre funny or super disturbing or promise to bring me some new twist.

This one offers the new twist. So I read it. But I read it not really
Emily
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"They don't feel pain, either, or get tired, and bodies that no longer have the limitation of pain are capable of doing amazing, terrible things."

I've been exhausted by zombie stories for a while now, but River of Souls interested me from the beginning. This book has an interesting take, and it stands out from other zombie story options.

I thought the story was creative, and it kept my attention throughout the entire book. However, the thing that frustrated me was that monsters were positioned
Alex findingmontauk1
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, lohf, owned
I am extremely picky when it comes to reading any sort of book about zombies because between movies, TV, and books, we are definitely in a saturated world. For decades. So when I chose to read this one, it was because I saw in it something special and unique. And I was not wrong! T.L. Bodine has crafted a world where being infected/being undead has been "somewhat cured" by a drug called Lazarus. But you have to keep taking your meds or you might go off the deep end. There are also "home" and ...more
Tracy Robinson
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review up after this week!
Alison
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A.F. Swinford
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Aside from having a quintessentially New Mexico flavor that I--as a New Mexico resident--found absolutely charming, this book made zombies interesting again. Instead of mindless shufflers or a metaphor for capitalism or a symbol for "science gone too far," the zombies are actually characters. Characters with relatable histories, thoughts, fears, worries and hopes.

There's more here than simply zombies dealing with "what comes after." Found family and blood relatives, guilt and anger, hope and
Horror DNA
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tony-jones
Like many other reviewers, I suffered serious zombie-fatigue with the sheer number of novels published in recent years featuring our undead friends and have given them the swerve unless it was a friends hot tip. However, Im pleased T.L. Bodines River of Souls managed to lure me out of early zombie-review-retirement with her refreshing and alternative take on a familiar story. Do not expect much flesh-munching, high-powered action sequences or Walking Dead-inspired story lines, it is not that ...more
Brennan LaFaro
Forget everything you know about zombie stories...okay, good work. Well, maybe not everything. Can you get some of that back? Look, a lot of people are sick of zombies. Brian Keene did something with The Rising almost twenty years ago and the Walking Dead captures audiences when it premiered but it's been all downhill since. Sure there have been some bright spots in all the darkness, but overall - pass.Enter T.L. Bodine with River of Souls. The novel promises a fresh spin on zombie tropes and lo ...more
Kristin Jacques
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to find a fresh spin on zombies, but T. L. Bodine nails it with the River of Souls which features complicated family relationships. Davin is a guy who is just trying to get by and keep his small family afloat. Without spoiling anything, I love how this novel treats Undeath as both an inconvenience and anti-climatic. We learn in the first few chapters how the dead are reviving, and what an absolute hassle it is, particularly as Davin attempts to juggle his undead father and rebellious ...more
Sharon
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading anything by this author and Im impressed with the plot she has come up with. Adds a little extra to the normal zombie storyline. This story caught my attention with the blurb and then the book drew me in within the first few pages. Its a really well written thought out book and Im looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.

Pat Eroh
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story that has so many different facets to it that make it so original and so compelling. I loved the characters David and Zoe and my heart broke for what was going on in this story. I love the way this author builds the suspense and keeps the pages turning even into the next chapter. This author is new to me but I am a fan now.

Elizabeth McDaniel
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story about a family in a very difficult place in time. It gives their view through a very up close and personal different approach to the rebirth of the dead ergo zombies, the governments approach and the day to day hassle of living with them. Very detailed and imaginative and different.

Angie Rivera
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldnt put it down!!! More more more!!! ...more
Elford Alley
Nov 02, 2019
Amy
Sep 02, 2019
T.L. Bodine
Jun 07, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Annie B

• Locke & Key, Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 5: Clockworks
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
T.L. Bodine writes dark fantasy and horror. She's interested in uncanny, fantastic things, and the way real people with real problems interact with them.

You can also read up-and-coming stories on Wattpad, or check out her Tumblr for writing advice, creepypasta, and more.

When not writing, she can usually be found watching horror movies, playing story-heavy video games, or experimenting in the