Start by marking “Come the Eventide” as Want to Read:
Come the Eventide

Come the Eventide

A century has passed since the fall of humanity changed the natural landscape. The oceans are poison, and a fraction of Earth’s magnificent creatures remain. The only surviving humans squabble over limited resources as they cling to a fragile peace. Yet in this bleak landscape hope lives on in Earth’s other intelligent life. It all begins when Septielle, a seven-armed octo ...more
Published June 6th 2019 by Lanier Press (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Come the Eventide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come the Eventide

Start your review of Come the Eventide
Sherry Fundin
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An original and unique novel of life after the destruction caused by human. Humans, dolphins, and octopodes work together for survival. Told from all characters POV, whether human, dolphin or…

I love any books that relate to water and ecology and the creatures that live there.

Man’s inhumanity to man and everything else on the planet is nothing new. Nothing they won’t do to get what they want and the critters do hold grudges…so beware.

I was entranced, enthralled, disgusted and horrified, tense and
Barbikat60
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where is the world heading to?

The dolphins and octopod know.
Chris Riker’s book deftly describes the corruption of the planet Earth because of man’s pollution. Man’s arrogance was costly and two intelligent aquatic species try to reverse the damage.

The story is at once beautiful and terrifying. It’s a cautionary tale that has ribbons of truth. Our planet Earth is heading toward destruction if we humans continue to pollute the planet and we may not be able to save Earth.

This book is an excellent w
Amy
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Come the Eventide is the first book Chris Riker has released. I found this book to be interesting. It is set many years in the future, when humans have made a devastating impact on Earth. All living beings on the planet are finding ways to survive. The main characters of the book includes humans, octopods, and dolphins. They have to work together to help restore peace and humanity for the planet before it is too late. They find themselves in some danger when they go against pirates. Can all crea ...more
Abbie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is both a flight of fancy and a stern reminder (without knocking you over the head with it) of our responsibility to our planet. There is a vision for our current trajectory but also hope.
The book reads like a YA book (which I happen to enjoy) but the message is for everyone on this, our one planet.
Carla
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Come the Eventide is an interesting book set in the future – where mankind has destroyed our home (plant Earth) and are struggling to survive in a landscape that is hard to imagine. This is a topic that hits home especially now as we see our planet suffer from our actions. All of the ways that humans destroyed our planet are still alive and present after the catastrophic events – greed, jealousy and inequity, as it seems we tend not to learn from our past mistakes. The story is told from two vie ...more
Sarah Z
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This wasn’t my favourite and I struggled to get through it. I’ve been trying to figure out why because people really liked it. The writing itself is great, the story is somewhat interesting, the characters were ok...I think what it comes down to is that I just couldn’t suspend my belief to the extent this book required. The characters kept changing all the time making it difficult to keep track of or dev
Ruth Hill
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

First of all, for the most part the book is clean. Readers will find no sex nor gratuitous violence. There is some minimal profanity, but this is rare rather than the norm.

This is an unusual book that may be enjoyed by those who enjoy fantasy and even those who don't typically read fantasy. I fall into the latter camp. I was concerned this may be a treatise on
Amber Hawke
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Come the Eventide by Chris Riker was a well written book that takes place after the fall of humanity, yet the book is not depressing like the Walking Dead and other end of the world media that drags on with no end in sight. Rather, this book is filled with hope that stays true even in the face of the ruling class and cannibalistic pirates. I loved how the role the ocean creatures and humans played in this book!

Stacie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed are my own.

Well. That was not what I expected.

I'm not sure how I got "mermaids" out of the initial description, but that's what I was expecting. And that's on me. I also don't particular enjoy the preachy "save the world!" novels, even though I know they make a very valid point. But this was just a little too out-there for me.
Misty
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Come the Eventide by Chris Riker was a brilliant read that combined many different genre elements into a beautiful and entertaining story. At first I was worried I would get confused will all the different plot elements, but they all fit together perfectly like a puzzle with no loose strings left behind. Overall I loved this book and I really liked the character Anadare.
NormaCenva
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is very strange (in a good way), well-written story. I needed a distraction the day I downloaded it, and it was definitely a success! But it is also very calming in its writing style. Voicework is done well in the audiobook version and adds an extra zing to the story overall.
Chris Riker
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Joy
Dec 19, 2019
Marc Mielke
Sep 12, 2020
Climate Change 1 1 Aug 19, 2019 08:35AM

• The Root of Murder (Lovers in Crime Mystery Book 4)
  • Retrospect
  • Jeannie's Crab Lake Christmas
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • I Can't Believe I Lived the Whole Thing: A Memoir from the Golden Age of Advertising
  • Dragons in the Clouds
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Last Thing She Said (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 3)
  • The Nutcracker Conspiracy (Thorny Rose #4)
  • Farewell My Life: Buona Notte Vita Mia
  • Shakespeare Burning
  • A Familiar Magic (Son of a Succubus #1)
  • Santa is a Vampire
  • The Art of Healthcare Innovation: Interviews and Industry Insights from 35 Game-Changing Pioneers
  • Willa's Grove
  • Bulwark
1 follower
I am a writer, father, and dreamer.
I have been a journalist for ____ years. (Fine. A lot of them.) Mostly, it's involved TV, bringing people important information about their world, and also car wrecks, bad weather, and shootings. Lots of shootings. I am the author of a book that looks at the worst humans can do yet seeks to hold onto hope. That's 'Come the Eventide.' You can get more info at Come