Start by marking “Specter” as Want to Read:
Specter

Specter

"Would I recommend this book? Abso-bloody-lutely." Bookish Beyond, 5 stars

Stranger Things with a ghostly twist! This gripping, genre-bending debut will keep you holding your breath till the very last page.

Horror aficionado Lanie Adams should be thrilled when two eighties-era ghosts materialize in her bedroom. Yet after a fainting incident unbecoming of a horror nerd, she w
Published July 7th 2019 by Hidden Bower Press

To ask other readers questions about Specter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specter

Jenna “Meadow”  | The Book of Meadow
Katie Jane Gallagher is a new author who did a fantastic job of creating a unique storyline and fantastical world mostly seeped in reality. I enjoyed the twist of how the main character, Lanie, can see ghosts and what it truly means as we learn later in the book. I also liked Ryan’s character and some of the quirky moments between him and Lanie as they get to know each other and try to solve the mystery of Lanie’s abilities.

These were the great things about this book and since Gallagher is a ne
Tamara Morning
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Title: Specter
Author: Katie Jane Gallagher
Genre: YA, paranormal
Rating: 4 out of 5

Lanie loves horror movies, so the appearance of two ghosts in her room—from the 80s, clearly—should be something she enjoys. Except it’s not. Because the third ghost that appears isn’t quite so friendly…or so human. So Lanie does her best to avoid the ghosts—and the questions she has from forgotten memories of her childhood.

When she meets stoner Ryan in the library, she soon finds herself telling him all about the g
Dax Munro
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hey guys, a very good evening from what looks to be a stormy Eastern England.
Today’s review is for Specter, a young adult paranormal fantasy, which follows sixteen year old Lanie Adams, self described ‘loner extraordinaire’ as she searches for answers to a ghostly problem.

~Storyline~

From the very first sentence- ‘It turned out, all the books and movies had gotten ghosts dead wrong,’ I was hooked. The author dives right into the core issue of the story as a ghostly apparition appears in Lanie’s b
Anastasia
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
As a fan of classic horror, you’d think that the introverted teenager (and shining star of this debut) Lanie Adams would be well-prepared for her first encounter with a real-life ghost, right?
WRONG. After-all, she is a teenager. And yet, just like most teens in our modern world, she is a curious one. Specter shares her adventure into mystery, murder, and maybe a healthy (or at least realistic) bit of teenage rebellion.
With the help of a *totally* cute boy from her school, Lanie uses every reso
Kelsey Quick
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Advanced copy exchanged for an honest review*

Specter was an impressive and refreshing read for me! Contemporary usually isn’t my style, but I felt extremely drawn in by the voice of our relatable horror-aficionado, Lanie. Unlike a couple of recent reads, Specter clung to the Young Adult audience with extreme precision, even at difficult and suspenseful times.

What I thoroughly enjoyed is that this book had wonderful pacing. Just when the hauntings would dry up, we would get a good dose of teena
mary lewis
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to the author for providing me with an advance review copy!

Omg I devoured this book, can’t remember the last time I read a book so fast! I can totally see why it's being pitched as similar to Stranger Things, since it's very suspenseful with ghosts, demons, and an 80's element (even though it's not set in the 80's). And this book will keep surprising you, it is definitely not a simple ghost story! Lots of twists and turns. Also I loooooved Lanie, she is such a badass character and
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a ride this book was.

It started off a simple, yet fascinating small-town ghost story. But then it nose-dived into something even more sinister.

I really grew fond of Lanie as a character through this book. Relatable indeed, she was. Ryan was a terrific support and love interest that helped the movement of the story.

I even loved the personalities of the ghosts. Each one had a distinct characteristic.

I am avoiding spoilers, so I'll just leave it here for now. I see some people quoting Stanger
Katelyn Bellingham
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
X-Files meets Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks. Specter is YA Sci Fi at its finest and a little coming of age romance is definitely not missing from the plot. I absolutely love the dynamic of the characters as they delve into the mysteries surrounding their lives and their quiet little New England town. I'm from Connecticut and it was so fun to have a book based in my state too! From start to finish the story moves perfectly and builds on itself. I had a blast reading--I couldn't put it down! Wi ...more
Kaili Taghon  (Entertainingly Nerdy)
I love a good book about ghosts and specter doesn't disappoint. I'm glad that I was able to relate to the main character since I'm introverted and I love horror movies. The books is fast paced and I didn't really want to put the book down!
Sam
Aug 15, 2019
LostKnight
Aug 16, 2019
Instagram: @katiejanegallagher

Katie Jane Gallagher is the author of Specter and the serialized YA fantasy The Gold in the Dark. She is a life-long writer, and her stories feature relatable, realistic characters who get swept up in extraordinary events. An avid reader of YA and genre fiction, she has a self-proclaimed affinity for the best sorts of trash.

Born and raised in Illinois, Katie currently