Start by marking “Specter” as Want to Read:
Specter

Specter

"Would I recommend this book? Abso-bloody-lutely." Bookish Beyond, 5 stars

Stranger Things with a ghostly twist! This gripping, genre-bending debut will keep you holding your breath till the very last page.

Horror aficionado Lanie Adams should be thrilled when two eighties-era ghosts materialize in her bedroom. Yet after a fainting incident unbecoming of a horror nerd, she w
Published July 7th 2019 by Hidden Bower Press

To ask other readers questions about Specter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specter

Start your review of Specter
Sumit RK
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Specter is a YA mystery with a paranormal twist. Having not read any book from the YA genre lately, it was a short fun read with lots of mystery and paranormal elements.

The book follows Lanie, a teenager with a penchant for horror. While sick with a fever she sees two ghosts and is horrified. While researching her ghosts she meets Ryan, who offers to help her. Together they start to investigate the hauntings, working out who the ghosts are and when Lanie can see them. Soon they discover that th
Kelsey Quick
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

*Advanced copy exchanged for an honest review*

Specter was an impressive and refreshing read for me! Contemporary usually isn’t my style, but I felt extremely drawn in by the voice of our relatable horror-aficionado, Lanie. Unlike a couple of recent reads, Specter clung to the Young Adult audience with extreme precision, even at difficult and suspenseful times.

What I thoroughly enjoyed is that this book had wonderful pacing. Just when the hauntings would dry up, we would get a good dose of teena
Jenna “Meadow”  | The Book of Meadow
Katie Jane Gallagher is a new author who did a fantastic job of creating a unique storyline and fantastical world mostly seeped in reality. I enjoyed the twist of how the main character, Lanie, can see ghosts and what it truly means as we learn later in the book. I also liked Ryan’s character and some of the quirky moments between him and Lanie as they get to know each other and try to solve the mystery of Lanie’s abilities.

These were the great things about this book and since Gallagher is a ne
Julie Embleton
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When horror-movie lover Lanie is disturbed by a ghostly apparition in her bedroom, she soon discovers the terrifying visitor needs her help. Joining forces with her emerging love interest, Ryan, the teenagers investigate, but find themselves on the radar of a powerful chemical company while being stalked by an aggressive ghost.

From the first paragraph of Specter, I was hooked. With an opening of ‘It turned out all the books and movies had gotten ghosts dead wrong’, how could it not? Lanie, the
Tamara Morning
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Title: Specter
Author: Katie Jane Gallagher
Genre: YA, paranormal
Rating: 4 out of 5

Lanie loves horror movies, so the appearance of two ghosts in her room—from the 80s, clearly—should be something she enjoys. Except it’s not. Because the third ghost that appears isn’t quite so friendly…or so human. So Lanie does her best to avoid the ghosts—and the questions she has from forgotten memories of her childhood.

When she meets stoner Ryan in the library, she soon finds herself telling him all about the g
Ellie Mitchell
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hey guys, a very good evening from what looks to be a stormy Eastern England.
Today’s review is for Specter, a young adult paranormal fantasy, which follows sixteen year old Lanie Adams, self described ‘loner extraordinaire’ as she searches for answers to a ghostly problem.

~Storyline~

From the very first sentence- ‘It turned out, all the books and movies had gotten ghosts dead wrong,’ I was hooked. The author dives right into the core issue of the story as a ghostly apparition appears in Lanie’s b
Anastasia
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
As a fan of classic horror, you’d think that the introverted teenager (and shining star of this debut) Lanie Adams would be well-prepared for her first encounter with a real-life ghost, right?
WRONG. After-all, she is a teenager. And yet, just like most teens in our modern world, she is a curious one. Specter shares her adventure into mystery, murder, and maybe a healthy (or at least realistic) bit of teenage rebellion.
With the help of a *totally* cute boy from her school, Lanie uses every reso
Merlin’s Cove
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
mary lewis
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to the author for providing me with an advance review copy!

Omg I devoured this book, can’t remember the last time I read a book so fast! I can totally see why it's being pitched as similar to Stranger Things, since it's very suspenseful with ghosts, demons, and an 80's element (even though it's not set in the 80's). And this book will keep surprising you, it is definitely not a simple ghost story! Lots of twists and turns. Also I loooooved Lanie, she is such a badass character and
Ramona Plant
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Specter is an entertaining book written by Katie Jane Gallagher. The author came up with an interesting plot that had me glued to the pages. This book is definitely not your average ghost story book and had some interesting twists that I did not see coming. The pace was just right, never dragging out nor did the author ever rush you through the story.

Lanie was a very interesting main character who was given quite the dilemma and had a difficult road ahead of herself. It didn't help that she ten
Renee Hendrick
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Young adults love horror, mystery, and science-fiction, and Specter delivers, expecting its intended audience to sift through the elements it presents without any hand holding. The bond between Lanie and a potential romantic interest evolves organically, allowing them to come to their own understanding of the forces at work in their town, and the adults that may or may not be reliable in their lives. The characters in Specter were strong in a way that didn't feel forced, and the ghosts were refr ...more
M.L. Tishner
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I thought: What a great story! I am a huge fan of Stranger Things and the blurb was right! From the getgo - Gallagher's prose had me hooked. Lanie is your normal teen with a healthy obsession of horror. She is a strong character whose journey to not only solve this mystery, but making her way into adulthood was a pleasure. She is definitely a character who stuck with me long after the book finished. I look forward to reading more of Gallagher's work!

The Quote: Nothing notable is supposed to
Mary Dean
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such an awesome book! It had me hooked from the description. A young adult paranormal mystery, heck yes I'm in. This book was way better than I had thought it would be. The description said it was for stranger things fans and I couldn't get into that show (I know, shocker). This book was a great paranormal mystery while also being a wonderfully done coming of age tale with tame teenage romance. I couldn't put it down. The mystery had me guessing and I felt like I was trying to solve thi ...more
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a ride this book was.

It started off a simple, yet fascinating small-town ghost story. But then it nose-dived into something even more sinister.

I really grew fond of Lanie as a character through this book. Relatable indeed, she was. Ryan was a terrific support and love interest that helped the movement of the story.

I even loved the personalities of the ghosts. Each one had a distinct characteristic.

I am avoiding spoilers, so I'll just leave it here for now. I see some people quoting Stanger
Katelyn Bellingham
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
X-Files meets Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks. Specter is YA Sci Fi at its finest and a little coming of age romance is definitely not missing from the plot. I absolutely love the dynamic of the characters as they delve into the mysteries surrounding their lives and their quiet little New England town. I'm from Connecticut and it was so fun to have a book based in my state too! From start to finish the story moves perfectly and builds on itself. I had a blast reading--I couldn't put it down! Wi ...more
Kaili (Entertainingly Nerdy)
I love a good book about ghosts and specter doesn't disappoint. I'm glad that I was able to relate to the main character since I'm introverted and I love horror movies. The books is fast paced and I didn't really want to put the book down!
Brooke
Erica Henry
Aug 15, 2019
Jaine
Aug 15, 2019

• Doom and Broom (Spellbound #2)
  • Spartan Promise (Mythos Academy: Colorado, #2)
  • The Eyes of Tamburah (Archives of the Invisible Sword, #1)
  • Rebel Without a Claus (Movie Club Mysteries #5)
  • A Juicy Murder (A Stoneybrook Mystery, #5)
  • Claws for Concern (Cat in the Stacks, #9)
  • Spell's Bells (Spellbound #3)
  • Scared Witchless (Bless Your Witch, #1)
  • Witch Undercover in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau Cosy Mystery Book 3)
  • Arrivals and Arrests (Isle of Man Ghostly #1)
  • Booked for Death (Booklovers B&B Mysteries, #1)
  • Thread and Dead: The Apron Shop Series
  • Cutie Pies and Deadly Lies (Murder in the Mix, #1)
  • The Grace Year
  • Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • A Rolling Scone (Great Witches Baking Show #3)
Instagram: @katiejanegallagher

Katie Jane Gallagher is the author of Specter and The Gold in the Dark. Her stories feature relatable, realistic characters who get swept up in extraordinary events. An avid reader of YA and genre fiction, she has a self-proclaimed affinity for the best sorts of trash.

Born and raised in Illinois, Katie currently lives in Connecticut with her stupendous, half-human hal