Start by marking “Something She's Not Telling Us” as Want to Read:
Something She's Not Telling Us

Something She's Not Telling Us

Charlotte has everything in life that she ever could have hoped for: a doting, artistic husband, a small-but-thriving flower shop, and her sweet, smart five-year-old daughter, Daisy. Her relationship with her mother might be strained, but the distance between them helps. And her younger brother Rocco may have horrible taste in women, but when he introduces his new girlfrie ...more
Published April 7th 2020 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Something She's Not Telling Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something She's Not Telling Us

Start your review of Something She's Not Telling Us
Chelsea Humphrey
Something She's Not Telling Us is a lightning fast read, and if you enjoy salacious family dramas then this book might be for you. As per the author's typical shtick, most of the characters are unlikable, and the abrupt ending will make or break the experience for readers of this genre. My major complaint was the portrayal of mental illness in its most general form; (view spoiler) ...more
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Welll 🤔🤔🤔🤔 I need to think about this one. Probably 3.5 stars...

First off...this cover is amazing! I love it and was so excited to dive into this one. Thank you so much to Harper Collins for providing me with a copy!

This was my first book I have read by this author and I was not sure what to expect. What I got was a very fast paced thriller ( which I love by the way). I was flipping through the pages and the suspense was building. I couldn't stand most of the characters in the book- which is fi
Deanna
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020

3.5 Stars

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Charlotte knows she has a good life but often finds herself overcome with worry especially where her five-year-old daughter, Daisy is concerned. Charlotte is currently working with a psychiatrist who is trying to help her deal with her anxiety and her past. Charlotte knows she can't predict the future or change the past but if she could there's one thing she would definitely change.

Charlotte, her husband, and Daisy
Berit☀️✨
Fast-paced and addictive. All I could think while I was reading this book is how crazy Charlotte would’ve acted during this pandemic. The girl would seriously be Cloroxoing the Clorox. She was seriously one of the most paranoid, overprotective, panicked people I’ve ever read about. The book starts off with Charlotte going to pick her daughter Daisy up from preschool and Daisy not being there. It appears as though Daisy’s “Aunt“ has picked her up. The problem is Daisy does not have an aunt. Could ...more
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

Rocco has bad taste in women. Bad taste as in drug addicts, kleptomaniacs, and liars. Fortunately, he also loses interest quickly. Unfortunately, he always needs his sister’s approval so he always brings these women around her.

Charlotte, Rocco’s older sister, is protective to a fault over her brother and her five year old daughter, Daisy. Desperate for approval, she always tries to like Rocco’s flavor of the week. When he brings Ruth by for dinner, though she’s eccentric, she’s nice -
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
The curse of the 2nd book strikes again! This book was a mess. I loved A Simple Favor, but Something She's Not Telling Us was a big letdown.

The story didn't make a whole lot of sense, there was no suspense or build-up, the characters were all awful (not in a villain type of way, just bad).

The whole book was farfetched and implausible

1.5 stars rounded up because I didn't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Kristy
Charlotte is a doting mom who adores her five-year-old daughter, Daisy. She's also extremely overprotective and anxious, watching and worrying over Daisy's every move. Charlotte and her brother, Rocco, had a tough childhood. Rocco reacts by dating a variety of troubled women. But it seems like he's finally found someone special in his latest girlfriend, Ruth. Ruth really seems to love Rocco--and Daisy. But Charlotte rankles at how much Ruth likes Daisy and vice versa. Then Daisy is kidnapped fro ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Well written anxiety thought process.

A scene: a bagful of buns gets put on a floor near a doorstep and then people eat that stuff. Ugh.

Another one: job intervew where the applicant secreary is asked by the interviewing boss to read an erotic story about some boss and his secretary going down the s&m hole. Ughhh.

Is 'Everything' 'shipshape'? Definitely not. Everyone has problems that they aren't equipped to deal with in this one.

Can't help thinking that the plot is really weird (and maybe a tad u
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

My first experience with Darcey Bell was not a good one (to put it lightly). But then I watched the film version and really (like really really) dug it so I definitely wanted to give her another go. About the only thing that can be said to sum up this sophomore experience for me is . . . .

Obviously this is no literary masterpiece, but I read it back before the temps were hot enough to immediately fuse your underwear to yo
Bren
review to follow.

Wow..two DNF'S in same week!

Am I getting pickier? Or not giving things a chance?

It is a shame because I had read about four or five top notch books before this.

So I cannot even assign a rating. I did not get very far.I stopped about 10-15 percent in. I had reservations about this book before starting it because I have read so many books with a plot like this.

One thing I do not always like in books is internal conversations. I either love them or hate them. I just could not go o
Anna
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
An easy to read thriller that had me guessing, but I kept waiting for a twist that never came and the ending was disappointingly anticlimactic.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Another girlfriend? Wonder what this one is like?

Every girl Rocco has brought to meet his sister Charlotte has been a bit odd.

This new one, Ruth, gave Charlotte bad vibes from the minute she met her especially because of the obsession she had with her daughter Daisy.

When Daisy is taken/kidnapped from school, there can be no one else to suspect but Ruth, and Charlotte knew her reservations about Ruth had been correct.

We meet Ruth before and after she became Rocco’s girlfriend and find out she h
Lisa-Books Smiles
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
yikes, this is really bad.
ABookwormWithWine
Something She's Not Telling Us by Darcey Bell is a real page-turner of a psychological thriller and could easily be read in one sitting. I'm honestly still trying to put all my thoughts together and I am going to keep this review pretty short.

The book is full of unlikable characters which is fine, but I was really frustrated with Charlotte pretty much the entire book and not once did I think she was all that smart. I haven't read A Simple Favor yet so I really have no idea how the two compare, b
Samantha
When it comes to pacing, Darcey Bell is at the top of the class. As with A Simple Favor, once you get going on Something She’s Not Telling Us, it’s really, really tough to stop.

Though I wanted the villain to be more in the end than just a certifiable nut (which is less interesting than more nuanced reasons for criminal action), the sense of menace the villain exudes and the way it builds through the story is very well crafted.

As with A Simple Favor, it’s tough to truly like any of the character
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I wanted to love this book. All the hype on Instagram had my hopes high. It was good read, I did not like the ending it felt really rushed. I wish that we had more story.
I loved that is all turned out alright for Daisy.
I gave this book 3.5 stars.
Laura • lauralovestoread
Well this was a fast and entertaining read, brimming with unreliable characters. I just predicted early on what was happening and it flopped for me a bit. I would recommend for someone looking for a fast read though, or just looking to start dipping into the suspense pool. For me, I guess I’m tainted by reading so many now.

*thank you publisher for the gifted copy. All opinions are my own
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I never read A Simple Favor but I did watch the movie and I found it absolutely ridiculous and SO MUCH FUN. I expected mostly the same for this read and I definitely found ridiculousness.

The only likable character here is Daisy - but don't get me wrong - I always love hating on characters. I just would like for at least one character to have some substance and everything just felt a bit of a parody. Most of the time I am happy to suspend all reality for the sake of the story. Unfortunately this
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: April 7, 2020
Actual Rating: 3 stars

Domestic Thriller

I feel like I may be generous in giving this book 3 stars. However, I think the story has good parts along with problematic parts which is why I'm staying neutral with my rating.

My first thoughts after finishing this book is that it was dull. I expected a bit more of a buildup in terms of the kidnapping and some feelings of suspense, but I never got these impressions. Perhaps if the kidnapper didn’t have her own POV it woul
Elaine
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Something She's Not Telling Us.

I didn't read A Simple Favor but I did enjoy the movie. I know, I know, that's not the same.

Still, the author's name rang a bell when I saw this book and I was pleased when my request was approved.

Sadly, Something She's Not Telling Us didn't enthrall me. I'm not sure, after finishing it a few days later, what it's all about.

A desperate woman named Ruth seeking a family of her own after the trauma of her own childho
Nursebookie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This month, I wanted to get through some of my back list thrillers and Darcey Bell’s quick read thriller was exactly what I needed! This book had an amazing cover that really caught my eye and I am so glad I picked this one up.

This domestic suspense told in multiple POVs was twisty and fun to read. I enjoyed the writing style, the suspenseful and nail biting chapters, and the quirky characters.

My first book with this author and I will definitely be picking up her first book, A Simple Favor.
Brittany
Man everyone is crazy in this book. I did enjoy A Simple Favor more, but this wasn't bad.

Overall my mind went to crazier places than the book took me, so I was left with a bit of disappointment, but the first half to 2/3 of the book was really good. The end fizzled a bit though.

3.5 stars for me.
Amy
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one had huge potential for me, unlikable characters making questionable decisions, vague past histories that you just know are juicy, and more family dream that I could ever dream up. While it was a very quick read and one that held my attention I was left wanting more when I finished. The end of this one will definitely make it or break it for readers I think and I’m somewhere in the middle. I didn’t love it and I definitely didn’t hate it but I just felt underwhelmed when it all came toge ...more
Javier
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read "A simple favor" so "Something she's not telling us" was my first approach to the author's work. Although the premise sounded quite interesting I don't think the book delivered what the synopsis promised. Is it a bad book? Not at all. Is it a memorable book? Not at all.

There's Charlotte, married with a daughter, Daisy, the perfect loft and a booming business, but with a secret no one knows about. And there's Ruth, her brother's new girlfriend, whose behavior seems to hide somethi
Erin
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
From the moment Charlotte meets Ruth, her brother's new girlfriend, there is something about the woman she doesn't trust. Certainly Ruth has her secrets but then so does Charlotte. And both women seem determined to stop at nothing to discover what the other one is hiding.

I hated the women in this book. Oh they are so ugly in their thoughts and actions. But that's exactly why I was glued to the pages! The only thing that I was disappointed in was the letdown of that ending. I felt we were really
Claire- Louise
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-faves, suspense
Charlotte runs a successful floristry business in New York and has the perfect life with her husband Eli and 6 year old daughter Daisy. Until one day, when running late from a business meeting, she finds Daisy has already been picked up from her after school club.

Rewind to a few months prior, her brother Rocco, who has a history of dating odd women with a whole host of problems and dysfunction, finally starts dating Ruth, who seems generous, kind and keen to impress. But is she all that she seem
Christina
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
This is a wild read.
I had a hard time getting into this one at first but to be fair I think I've just read a lot of thrillers lately and am getting a bit burnt out on them. I thought the plot was pretty run of the mill but boy was I wrong! Darcey Bell did an amazing job hiding what was really happening in this story.

Super good twist and I kind of want to go back and read it again knowing how it ends to see all the clues I missed along the way.

I definitely got some A Simple Favor vibes and I'l
Emily
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐

I really enjoyed A Simple Favor, and I was thrilled to get my hands on Something She's Not Telling Us! In this book, we have more unlikeable characters with more drama (exactly what I was hoping for). It was fun to try to figure out exactly what was going on in this story. It did get a little too far-fetched for me in the second half, so I ended up not loving it as much as I had hoped, but it was still a really entertaining read.
Doug
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, rounded down.

Although I didn't read it, I really liked the film adaptation of Bell's first novel, so thought I'd take a chance on this, wanting something light, mindless and breezy in these perilous times. For the most part, this fit the bill, and though there is nothing spectacular about the prose, the story moves quickly and is involving - but suffers from a a tendency to repeat and over-explain things - and there is a difference between an unreliable and a psychotic narrator. And unfortu

• Strangers
  • The Wife Stalker
  • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
  • The Perfect Sister
  • The Other Gloria
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • Single
  • This Won't End Well
  • The Woman in the Park
  • The Kill Club
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • If She Were Dead
  • Godshot
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • The Half Sister
  • The Man She Married
Darcey Bell was born in 1981 and raised on a dairy farm in western Iowa. She is a preschool teacher in Chicago. A Simple Favor is her first novel.