Start by marking “Remain Silent (DS Manon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Remain Silent (DS Manon, #3)

Remain Silent

(DS Manon Bradshaw #3)

Newly married and navigating life with a toddler as well as her adopted adolescent son, Manon Bradshaw is happy to be working part-time in the cold cases department of the Cambridgeshire police force, a job which allows her to "potter in, coffee in hand and log on for a spot of internet shopping--precisely what she had in mind when she thought of work-life balance." But ...more
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by HarperCollins Publishers

Win a Copy of This Book

Remain Silent
    Release date: May 02, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 70 advance copies of REMAIN SILENT!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 70 copies available, 1335 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 23 - Mar 22, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Remain Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remain Silent

Start your review of Remain Silent (DS Manon, #3)
    Paromjit
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Susie Steiner's latest addition to her superb DI Manon Bradshaw of Cambridgeshire police is pure gold. Steiner invests Manon with the emotional truths, realities, and ennui of a middle aged woman, the constant fatigue, the chaotic tensions of family life with a hyperactive two year old toddler, Teddy, with the joys and maturity of her adopted black teen son, Fly, doing his GCSEs, and trying to keep a relationship alive with partner, Mark, particularly with the stresses of his cancer diagnosis. ...more
    Ceecee
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This gripping and well written novel is the third in the brilliant DI Manon Bradshaw series. Shockingly, while out in a country park with her young son Teddy, Manon finds a man hanging from a tree. This proves to be Lukas Balsys, a Lithuanian migrant worker, whose gang master Edikas is brutal. Is it suicide or murder? Detective Chief Superintendent Glenda McBain(ofherlife) instructs Manon to find out. The ensuing investigation is a very challenging one as Manon struggles with some personal ...more
    Liz Barnsley
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Susie Steiner is an amazing writer and Remain Silent is pure magic. Beautiful immersive prose telling an emotional, relevant and extraordinarily authentic story. Manon is one of the most real characters in fiction and I devoured this book first page to last. Insightful and clever on every level. The ending, given the current circumstances, was poignant to the point where I was in tears.

Unmissable. Fuller review near publication.
    Elaine Tomasso
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I would like to thank Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for an advance copy of Remain Silent, the third novel to feature DI Manon Bradshaw of the Fenland Police.

When Lukas Balsys’s body is found hanging from a tree nobody is sure if it is suicide or murder. Manon is asked to investigate but the fraught situation of exploited workers and anti-immigrant sentiment do not make her job easy.

I thoroughly enjoyed Remain Silent which not only has a good crime plot but is an interesting
    Heather Fineisen
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I really like this series and was distressed to learn the Author has brain cancer which she reveals in the Afterword. Prayers for her recovery. Steiner' s main character is tough yet motherhood has brought out her softness. This mystery revolves around Eastern European migration and human trafficking. Timely and the regular characters continue to grow. I am a fan of all three books in the series.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
    David Odeen
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Rich in character and quick sarcasm with real life daily concerns surrounds this continuing saga of DI Manon. Manon working just part time is thrown into a mysterious hanging of a migrant worker. As she delves into the investigation life interferes and the struggle to find out why he hung himself drags her in deeper.

Great reading. Highly recommended.
    Kathleen
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Remain Silent, the dark, slow moving, unforgettable third Manon Bradshaw police procedural by Susie Steiner, works well as a standalone mystery. Manon has been assigned to the cold case squad on a part time basis. However, after she discovers the body of a hanged man too near to her home, she becomes involved in the world of Eastern European immigrants in England.

The problems stemming from immigration are not very different here than in other countries. Young men from Lithuania are enticed by
    Margaret Duke-Wyer
    Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is the third book in the Manon Bradshaw series and now we find her married with a twp year old son and her adopted son. She is now working for the Cambridge Police Force in the cold case department. This is a much easier, part-time role which suits her domestic situation. Bliss! But is it? Manon is struggling with the reality of her situation; it isn’t easy to manage work, domestic chores, caring for a young child and she is struggling with her relationship. Mark just doesn’t seem ...more
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: mystery, netgalley
    I am a big fan of Susie Steiner's first two books about Detective Manon Bradshaw, so was very excited to get an advanced copy of this third book in the series. This one centers on the suspicious death of a Lithuanian immigrant found hanged in a tree - by Manon herself - but with a note which seems to suggest he was murdered. This central mystery was interesting, as was the discussion of the exploitation of Lithuanian immigrant workers and the hatred for them in the small English town where the ...more
    ReadandRated
    Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4 Stars from me

There is a simple beauty within these pages - among the chaotic debris of Manon's life, and the depravity, abuse, racism, squalor and disappointment in the story - that is found within the relationship based narrative. It is so acutely observed, so raw, so natural and so accurate. A truly wonderful and unexpected delight. The way Susie Steiner has captured the relationships and emotions is quite brilliant.

DS Manon Bradshaw is a great character, she leads us unflinchingly through
    Jacqueline  sharp
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I have loved this series from the start, and was really excited to get the third book with DI Manon Bradshaw. Without a doubt this series just gets better and better.

Manon is out walking with her young son Teddy, in a country park, when she finds a man hanging from a tree. It is found the person hanging is from Lithuania, Lucas Balsys, he is a migrant worker, being used by the brutal gang master Edikas. Manon now has to find out if this was suicide or murder.

Manon finds this to be a tough
    Anne
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author. It began with DI Manon Bradshaw finding a body hanging from a tree whilst out walking with her young son. She investigates this - is it murder - and is drawn into the world of migrant workers. The author describes their working and living conditions very well. I really liked Manon’s character, she is feisty, opinionated, funny, flawed and trying to juggle being a mum alongside her job
    Chrissie
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I love the Manon Bradshaw series she is such a real character sometimes funny and so normal .She is now married to Mark with a small child Ted and of course Fly who she has adopted .Manon is back at work on Cold Cases when she is out walking with Ted and finds a man hanging from a tree .She is put back in charge of the case with her old team .I had no idea that male migrant workers were treated so badly quite shocking really .This book is gripping and fast paced full of Manon's sarcasm and ...more
    Pgchuis
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: ebook, netgalley
    I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

I’m quitting this at 35% (and I’ve been skimming for a while). I started this expecting a police procedural, but the last few chapters have been all about human trafficking from the perspectives of those trafficked, and are extremely harrowing. I was having my doubts anyway: the tone is generally depressing and the text has contradicted itself in places.

Disappointed, as I was enjoying this series.
    Kathy
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I immensely enjoyed reading the earlier books in this series. Remain Silent is an excellent addition to the series. Also could be a stand alone.

Mostly I love the character of Manon. She is authentic. I like her brashness. She is an amazing parent. And an amazing wife.

I am Canadian and I honestly had no idea about the situation with illegal Lithuanian workers in the U.K. Remain Silent completely opened my eyes. Fascinating.

Great mystery as well. Fantastic storytelling. Highly recommend.
    Morgan Schulman
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

I really didn’t expect where this book was going. I had worried the installation of the series would not live up to the first two but in fact I would say it exceeded expectations. A slow burn at first but you have to stick with it to get to the goods. Can’t recommend it enough
    Morgan Schulman
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: reader-s-copy
    I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

Mairi
    Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    I struggled with this one and it took me days longer than usual to get through it. I’m not quite sure why , the story was well enough written, but it just didn’t grab my attention. I found the pace too slow. It did have an interesting storyline re the exploitation of immigrant workers.
    Doris Mucciolo
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Felt it was a little slow getting into the story, but once it started it was well worth the wait. I’m glad I kept reading. If your a fan of Susie Steiner books don’t miss this one. If you’ve never read her before I recommend you start with the first book in the series. It’s a great series.
    Julia Wilson
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Another great mystery involving DS Manon. This time a Lithuanian worker is found dead and the investigation uncovers layers of abuse and distrust in the community of illegal immigrants. Manon is as curt and intelligent as ever.
    Louise
    Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Foolishly I've not read book 2,and that left me confused as to what was going on in this third installement...mainly in everyone's home life.
    I'm afraid the story dragged for me,I never felt any tension or pace or indeed much interest.
    I skim read some pages to get to the end.
    Tara Russell
    Slow start, but galloped to a nerve wracking ending! Fascinating themes of exploitation, racism, dysfunctional family and middle age crises.
    Heather
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
    This is the latest outing for Manon Bradshaw, and addresses some difficult subjects, labour brought in from East Europe and living in slave-like conditions, far right racism.
    Manon is working on cold cases after returning from maternity leave, and is desperate to get back to a proper investigation, rather than face the daunting task of running a house and looking after a toddler. She gets her chance when she discovers the body of a Lithuanian migrant worker hanging in a tree.
    I enjoyed some of
    Dec 02, 2019
    Philippa
    Dec 11, 2019

• Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
    • The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
    • The Friend Zone
    • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
    • Haven't They Grown
    • The Dilemma
    • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
    • Little Disasters
    • Grown Ups
    • Keep Him Close
    • The Keeper
    • The Perfect Mother
    • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)
    • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
    • Three Hours
    • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
    • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
    • Liebes Kind

DS Manon Bradshaw (3 books)
    • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)