Start by marking “American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)” as Want to Read:
American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)

American Love Story

(Dreamers #3)

No one should have to choose between love and justice.

Haitian-born professor and activist Patrice Denis is not here for anything that will veer him off the path he’s worked so hard for. One particularly dangerous distraction: Easton Archer, the assistant district attorney who last summer gave Patrice some of the most intense nights of his life, and still makes him all
Published October 7th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about American Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Love Story

Start your review of American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)
K.J. Charles
Third in this strong series about the US immigrant experience. Patrice is Haitian-born and has overcome a traumatic childhood to become a professor at an Ivy League college in Ithaca. He's an activist and passionate about Black Lives Matters and racial justice. He's also both exhausted and exhausting: he makes huge demands of himself and others, as activists do, and the result is that he's denying himself a personal life and putting a lot of expectation on people.

Easton is a white moneyed DA wh
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I have to say, Herrera was NOT PLAYING with this book. It is intense. She brought the game up to the next level, and I cannot wait to discuss this one. While it is the third one in a series, it’s a companion series so you don’t have to read them in order. This is an NA, m/m romance. One of the love interests is Haitian, so we get some Latinx black representation and a interracial couple.

The first we need to talk about is the subject matter here. Honestly, the romance takes a back seat in compari
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So far, AMERICAN LOVE STORY is my second favorite romance in this LGBT+ series featuring PoC love interests. AMERICAN FAIRYTALE was a DNF, whereas AMERICAN DREAMER was the crown jewel in this series that was just shy of perfection. AMERICAN LOVE STORY sits at a solid three-star rating, smack-dab in the middle. There were some things I loved about it, and other things I didn't as much.

Our two love interests are Patrice and Easton. Patrice
Caz
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Adriana Herrera’s  Dreamers , a series about a group of four Afro-Latinx friends who live and work in and around New York, seems to get better and better with each book.   American Love Story  is the third instalment and I loved it.  It’s complex and romantic while remaining grounded in reality; the two leads are principled men who come from completely different worlds and their HEA is hard work and hard won; the secondary charact
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
I’m very very sad I only have one book left to read in this series (at least until nov gets here!)
.Lili.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adriana Herrera has been my stand-out new to me author of the year. Her stories are relevant and real, and this third installment of her Dreamers series was no different. American Love Story is about fear, honesty, activism, trust. It's more than just a romance.

Highlights:

-Activism. American Love story touches on diversity, immigration, racial injustice, equality. All topics that are important today. The best part of all this is that Adriana Herrera touches on all these topics without becoming p
Leigh Kramer
Adriana Herrera’s Dreamers series is a standout of the year for me. I knew this, the third book, was going to be good but it's truly excellent. This is how you write intersectional feminist romance. It made me so happy!

Patrice and Easton shared a hot summer fling but now that they live in the same place, their differences loom before them, seemingly preventing that fling from becoming anything more. Patrice is a Haitian-born economics professor and activist, while Easton is a white assistant dis
Sahitya
This book was intense af and that’s all I want to say about it. The author does a great job tackling so many important issues like police brutality and discrimination against black people, the plight of refugees, and homophobia giving each of these the thoughtful representation that they deserve. And all the while, she also deftly manages to include a fascinating romance between two people from opposite backgrounds but similar values.

I thoroughly loved the experience of reading this book but I
Xan West
I'm going to review this soon, but I want to say that I loved it a lot, & really appreciated the complexity & nuance in the story & this is my fave so far in a v strong series. ...more
Karen
I’ve been a huge fan of this series, exploring the US immigrant experience, since reading book #1 – American Dreamer. I think Herrera is writing some of the most complex, realistic romance out there right now and American Love Story kicks it up yet another notch.

Patrice, a Haitian-born activist, moves to Ithaca, NY to become an Ivy League professor & possibly to see where things go if he just so happens to run into his former hookup, DA – Easton Archer. Which, because of mutual friends, he does
Adri
TWs: systemic racism, racially targeted traffic stops, & peripheral homophobia

My heart is legit SOARING 💕

American Love Story is aptly titled, because it's a story that shines light on what it means to love in America today. Folx have to ask themselves: Does my partner believe in what I believe in? Do we respect and understand each other's lived experiences? Do we acknowledge that good, healthy love takes work in this day and age?

Patrice and Easton come from very different backgrounds, to say
shoesforall
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't take this tell don't show thing anymore. This author doesn't seem to trust the reader because everyone tells everyone else their entire emotional spectrum in every conversation. I am washing my hands of this series (sadly). Also, some people are complicated and some people have a lot to deal with but that doesn't make them any less assholes.
Cee Brown
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-reads
¸.•´¸★*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.★¨*.¸¸.•`★¤4.5 stars. This is what I look for in a story.¤★¨*.¸¸.*ˑ˞★

As a Caribbean woman, I can truthfully say that this book was quite impressive and mind boggling.

Impressive as the author, Caribbean born herself understands the struggles and layered this book with sincerity. Patrice Denis was Haitian born. Though he had a somewhat life of privilege, he was knew the struggles of his people and those that confronted him when he found asylum in American. With his mother by h
Sam (AMNReader)
I've loved all these covers, but this is my favorite. Because PURRRRPLE
Barb ~rede-2-read~
The third in what continues to be a top favorite series, the author brings us a completely different sort of romance from the others in the series. Set in Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University, this time it’s Patrice’s turn in the spotlight, and he certainly shines. Oh my, does he shine! A quick word about the cover: it’s to die for! The stunning black man, his locs tied back, the smile on his face, the dimples… Oh my gosh, he’s gorgeous and should definitely attract attention to this boo ...more
Shawna (what.shawna.reads)
I only regret that I jumped right into this book without having read the previous ones in the series. It works fine as a stand alone, but seeing the cameo's from the previous couples and references to past events made me wish I had the full story.

Adriana Herrera wrote complex characters who aren't going to be "fixed" by finding love, who have to work for their happy ending, and who have to have hard conversations in order to be together. Easton and Patrice have very real conversations about thei
Sophie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
“American Love Story” is the third volume in Adriana Herrera’s “Dreamers” series, and by far the strongest. “Dreamers” is about a group of friends who are all immigrants, and it’s very much about their experience in the US. Its strength lies in in conveying that experience, and in creating a cast of characters that feels like a group of friends you wish you had.

This book focuses on Patrice, a Haitian immigrant and new professor at Cornell University, and Easton, who is white, rich and the assist
Teo
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly wasn’t sure how I felt about Patrice at first - on the one hand, his convictions were beyond admirable and I totally respected his dedication to social justice. On the other hand, his “fuckboy attitude” (Herrera, I love your writing so damn much, this description killed me every time) towards love interest Easton was frustrating and off putting, and there were times where I wasn’t sure if I wanted to finish the book because I couldn’t tell where the story was going.

That all being said
Jess
This was excellent. I think of all the books in this series, what really worked for me was that you got both characters working on themselves IN the relationship at the same time. That was lacking for me, especially in book two, but this made up for it.
Felicia Grossman
Okay, so the first thing I will say about this book is that if there were more than five stars to give, I would give them. Second, just buy it and read it. It’s amazing. Seriously amazing. I adored the first two books in the series but this one is my favorite, and honestly one of my favorite books of the year, hands down. So, so, so, good.
Patrice and Easton’s story was beautiful and well balanced and perfect. I felt every emotion, every bit of their arcs, how hard Easton tried and how much fear
Rachel Reid
This book is perfect. This is the future of romance and I am extremely here for it. American Love Story perfectly balances sweet romance; difficult real-world issues about race and privilege, especially in America; characters who learn and grow and make each other better, and also very hot sex. Like, super hot.

Definitely one of the best romance novels of the year. I loved it. I can't wait for book 4!
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I can’t get enough of Adriana Herrera’s writing! This third Dreamers book is a difficult, angst filled read - but it’s also a wonderfully warm and beautiful written romance. After years of hard graft, Patrice has finally been hired as a professor at Cornell University. The move brings him back to Easton, the gorgeous, talented assistant DA that Patrice refuses to let himself desire.

I’m not sure I can remember having such confli
I received an advance copy from Carina Press via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:
(view spoiler)
Shelby
I loved this story so much! Reading it right now is also so timely. I really didn't expect going into this to have such a current story. With all the protests going on against the police, with BLM and the movement pushing for more awareness. I loved how this book made me think and brought awareness to the struggles black men go through everyday. The juxtaposition of a black professor very present with his activism and a white prosecutor with the DA's office, so perfect.

First of all I love Patri
Kyre
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Kingtchalla83
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I want to say a special thank you to Adriana Herrera for the opportunity to review her book and providing an ARC***

American Love Story is the third installment in the Dreamers series. Herrera continues to keep social issues and romance at the forefront of her writing. She doesn't shy away from hot-button topics and handles them with polished precision, especially those relating to the Afro-Latinx experience and immigrants.
📚
📚
Patrice and Easton are the heroes in American Love Story. Patrice is
gimmethosebooks
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best romances I’ve ever read and also such an important book. The balance between those two elements is perfect.

This book along with this relationship examines everything that needs to be put under a microscope in modern society. Their struggles are real and difficult and their love keeps them going despite their many obstacles.

Anyone who claims this book is preaching or that Patrice doesn’t act like a professor or that Easton is unrealistic...I don’t know what you’ve read b
Grace
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to this series! I thought the characters were wonderfully captured, and the dynamics and issues here were really interesting and thoughtfully captured. Continuing to really enjoy all the representation and the authentic and respectful way its incorporated throughout. Loved the little glimpses of other characters, though I wish there'd been a bit more of Milo and Juan Pablo. It makes sense that there wasn't, given the physical distance, but since Juan Pablo's book is the ne ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Hearts on Hold
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • If the Boot Fits (Cowboys of California #2)
  • Lucky Break (Clean Slate Ranch, #4)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Arctic Heat (Frozen Hearts, #3)
  • Lush Money (Filthy Rich #1)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
Adriana Herrera was born and raised in the Caribbean, but for the last 15 years has let her job (and her spouse) take her all over the world. She loves writing stories about people who look and sound like her people, getting unapologetic happy endings.

Her debut Dreamers, has been featured on Entertainment Weekly, NPR, the TODAY Show on NBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Oprah Magazin

Dreamers (4 books)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • American Sweethearts (Dreamers, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Fans of Sarah MacLean know her as a writer of historical romances, a passionate defender of the romance genre, and a creator of some truly...
“I was not a romantic, but when Easton Archer looked at me like that I felt like I could invent a whole new life. Just so I could get to have him without conflicts or guilt, without the world getting in the way of this joy.” 0 likes