Start by marking “Drawn to the Rhythm: A Passionate Life Reclaimed” as Want to Read:
Drawn to the Rhythm: A Passionate Life Reclaimed

Drawn to the Rhythm: A Passionate Life Reclaimed

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Sara Hall's life seemed perfect: a wealthy husband, a big house in an affluent suburb, three healthy children. But the surface of Hall's life hid a marriage filled with sorrow and pain. One day, at age forty-two, Hall sees a lone figure rowing in the harbor, and that image becomes her holy grail.

In this richly layered memoir, the author tells how her determination to maste
Published February 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton Company (first published January 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Drawn to the Rhythm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawn to the Rhythm

Books Ring Mah Bell
Did not need to know about her clitoris or what her abusive husband had to say about her clitoris. I just wanted to read about rowing. When she writes about rowing, she writes well, she captures the passion of being on the water. She also gets mad props for leaving her abusive jack-ass husband. And I have to root for any woman in her 40's who picks up a sport or hobby and then masters it. That's pretty damn hoots.

Not hoots was the Vespoli rep who was really rude to her when she was unknown and s
Thing Two
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Thing Two by: Susan Gabriel
I'm just not in the mood to read about spouses complaining about what their partners won't "let" them do. Instead of writing a book about it, go get some therapy! Learn how to set boundaries. Teach those children you're raising how to have healthy relationships, or they'll mimic yours.

Ugh. Next book ...
Maggie Grace
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I did not think he husband was abusive. I thought she was just being whiney. But the further into the book I got, the more I realized that she was drawing us into her story, just as he drew her into a life of being gaslit. He started out nice and a little needy but loving and by the end of the book, his jealousy and madness coupled with her winning more and more rowing races, gave her the courage to stand up to him and to ultimately leave his abuse. I had a hard time putting this book d ...more
Nancy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author's story is compelling, and her courage inspiring. But her disdain for mothers who also have a professional career, is off putting. The myth that women who work, even in professional positions, look down on full time moms needs to be busted. Clearly, this author looks down on working mothers and repeats this judgment often throughout the book. I suspect her husband had some redeeming qualities she failed to acknowledge.
Arlene
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2017
Loved learning about singles rowing! Her dedication and drive was amazing!
Julie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, favorites
I don't often give a book five stars, but on my bookshelf at home, three feet of space are devoted to women's memoirs of solo achievement, and Sara Hall's "Drawn to the Rhythm" is the best.
I've thought so since I first read it in 2002, and having just re-read it, I still think so. This is partly a testament to the power and skill of her writing. The surface is as beautiful as still waters at dawn, lyrical, poetic; underneath, deep waters await. It is also a sign of the enduring relevance of her
Susan Gabriel
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I thought it was very well-written and I admired the courage of the author to put her truth on the page. My only frustration in reading the book was wishing that she had removed herself from the abusive husband sooner.

Unlike many memoirs where I come away disappointed that the author has lived a harrowing life and has very little insight into what got them there in the first place, Sara Hall has examined her part in the drama and has come away, in my opinion, both humble and
Janie Ewell
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I decided to learn to scull this summer, this book found me on a trip to the library. It said, "Read me!" and I did. A true story about a woman who fell in love with sculling and eventually became a Master's level national champion several times over despite some heartache at home. Quite the adventure and the perfect summer read for me. The book inspired me to learn to row which has been the highlight of the year for me.
Gloria
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mid-life women
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This is an excellent and moving biography by a champion rower. The act of rowing is woven throughout the more important aspect of the story, that of a woman in her 40s claiming a life for herself in the face of fierce opposition in the form of an abusive husband. This is both for women in abusive situations, but truly for anyone wanting to step out and try something new. This is for people who dream big.
Elizabeth
It was a good book - a true story about a woman who from her escape from an abusive marriage through rowing. Within a relatively short period of time (2 years) she goes on to winner international championships against women who have rowed since youth. Also, takes you through the painful process of her divorce.
Susan
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my rowing coaches recommended this book, and it certainly would appeal more to the rowing community than to the average reader. However, it shows how an inner strength, long buried but fortified with an awakening sense of value in *some* world (rowing), can triumph over an abusive marriage -- and win gold in the World Masters Rowing Championships along the way! Quite read
Marilyn Cook
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read.
Deb
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-read
A good read, pulls you in. While the success at rowing was great the strongest storyline was about finding herself again and developing the strength to do what she needed to do.
Robin
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rowing
Suzanne Fessenden
Haven't read it yet but a friend said it was very interesting and the woman who wrote it ended up living in Lloyd Harbor.
Kathy
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Powerful true account of one woman's strength and courage to reclaim her self, her confidence, her life.
Beth
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring book, especially for any stalled rower, wannabe rower, or person stuck in an unhealthy relationship.
Higs