Start by marking “Together We Caught Fire” as Want to Read:
Together We Caught Fire

Together We Caught Fire

A forbidden attraction grows even more complicated when the guy Lane Jamison has crushed on for years suddenly becomes her step-brother in this sexy and gorgeously written debut novel about the lines between love, desire, and obsession.

What happens when the boy you want most becomes the one person you can’t have?

Lane Jamison's life is turned upside down the week before her
Published February 4th 2020 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Together We Caught Fire, please sign up.
Sally Buckley Yep. Ain't freedom of speech wonderful? :)…moreYep. Ain't freedom of speech wonderful? :)(less)

Start your review of Together We Caught Fire
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
pages: 367
Expected publication: February 11th 2020

Fantastic storytelling!

This book had a ton of angst, so much it was almost painful. Despite all the angst I still liked it. The characters are well thought out and the places are described beautifully. The book is about a girl named Lane Jamison, who just turned eighteen at the end of the summer before her senior year. Lane’s mother killed herself by slitting her wrists in the bathroom when Lane was five years old. Her Dad recently got married an
Jordan Davidson
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’m disappointed in myself for reading this in the first place. I don’t know what I expected, but it should’ve been this.

Part of me thinks this wouldn’t have been so bad if it weren’t for the overly flowery prose and ridiculous metaphors the author insisted on cramming into every sentence and paragraph and page. I described it to a bookish friend as “15-year-old who owns a thesaurus and just found fanfiction.net” and I still think that descriptor is painfully apropos.

And maybe even THAT wouldn
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holy hell. That was easily one of the best YA contemporaries I've read in a LONG time and I'm so amazed that this is Gibson's debut. I can't wait to see what she writes next! I'll have a full review for this one up soon, but trust me when I say that you absolutely need it as long as you can handle the extensive TW list (in spoiler tags below, mostly borrowed from the author's TW list at the beginning of the book).

Content warnings: (view spoiler)
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, SimonTeen, for an honest review.

“How many nights would I lie awake, listening through the thin wall of my bedroom for the sleep-jagged edge of his breath? This boy, so long unreachable-the core of everything I’d wanted, mangled and reassembled into a cosmic joke.”

description

I have always gravitated towards books that will punch a hole through my gut and make my heart feel like its weeping. A book that forgoes dancing around truths by ripping back t
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***2.5/5 Stars***

I've sat on this review for almost two weeks now. And that's not normal for me. At all. But I kept thinking that as time passed, maybe my thoughts would change. You see, while this story was an emotional powerhouse, I couldn't connect to or like the majority of the characters. So even though this book didn't work for me, I have a feeling others are going to resonate and feel this story in their soul. I wish I was one of those, but sadly I wasn't.
He’d occupied my heart f
Liz Lawson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this book. I had been looking forward to reading it for MONTHS, and it did not disappoint. It's sexy, dark, romantic, painful - everything that I was hoping it would be.

Lane is in love with a boy. But not just any boy -- the son of the woman who her father has just married. That's right, her step-brother. She's been in love with him for years, and now is thrust into an incredibly confusing situation where she has to deal with her feelings for him while he's literally under the sam
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much Simon Teen for sending me an ARC of TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE to read and review!

***Trigger Warnings: Mentions of suicide, graphic flashbacks of suicide, drug overdose, death & self harm***

How do you put into words how much a book impacted you, how beautifully it is written and how days later you are still thinking about it, all with out sounding stupid because there are still tears in your eyes from all the feelings this
Sam
Dec 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
no thank you
Katy Upperman
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Deliciously angsty, with gorgeous, lyrical prose. This is an intense read (like, lots of content warnings) but there’s an underlying thread of hopefulness. I really loved it!
2.5/ 5 stars

Together We Caught Fire is a mature Young Adult novel.

The narrator is 18 year old high school senior Elaine/Lane (1st person POV).

The beginning of the book was extremely odd to me. And I had a bit of a hard time figuring out what was happening. However, after that the book was a lot easier to follow.

The main characters are Lane, Grey, Sadie and Connor. Sadie and Connor are brother and sister. Also Lane's father and Grey's mother recently got married.

Lane has a lot of problems/issues.
Eva
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: girlhood-gothic
I have exactly zero idea how I feel about this book but one thing's for sure, and it's that I didn't read it in the slightest as a "sexy" story (whatever that means) about "the lines between love, desire, and obsession." It struck me instead as a predictable, somewhat clumsy but altogether well-meaning novel about mental health, inherited trauma and, well, yarn. It's very repetitive and angsty (and in that way, it might not be too bad at portraying a realistic teenage crush) but it has some good ...more
R
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is as emotionally raw, brutal, and beautiful as they come. The prose is to die for, the characters are stunningly rendered, the issues are timely, dark, and deeply important, and the story will stick with you long after you read the last page.
Katie
I! AM! TOTALLY! IN! LOVE! WITH! THIS! BOOK! There are so many little things that make this book different from any other YA contemp. you've ever read, and trust me, you'll fall in love too.

♥ I mean, before the book even begins, we get trigger warnings. There've been a LOT of discussion in the Twitterverse lately about why books should have trigger warnings, but this is the first where I've actually seen them in print.

Please note that it is NOT up to authors whether or not these are included. Mos
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

There is, blissfully, a content warning given at the start of the book. I will include it in my review, verbatum from the unfinished advanced copy, for your trigger warning needs:
This story contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, suicide, cutting and self-harm, vivid nightmare imagery, substance a
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and this has in no way affected my thoughts.

I'm gonna be honest: when I was first approached about reading and reviewing this one, I was kind of iffy on it. My first impression was a sort of incesty (step-siblings)romance novel, but as I started to get into it I realized that this wasn't really the case and it became less uncomfortable. I also hadn't really read any books of a similar fashion because of said incest
Olivia Wildenstein
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“We fell into the stars. They funneled out of the darkness and seeped into my senses, overlapping and infinite, distant and impossibly close.”

This book will char your heart, then set it aflame again.

I don’t think there is a better way to describe Gibson’s TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE as one long and beautiful, devastating yet hopeful poem. Her characters were marvelous and made the lyrical journey addictive. I absolutely adored Connor and his sister Sadie.

TWCF was so dark at times that I swear I cou
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok. This one is a no for me. I was so completely lost in the beginning. I still can’t figure out exactly what was going on because the writing confuses me so. This author loves her metaphors and incomplete sentences. One of my least favorite was:

“Smashed her son alongside her, staining my world in Grey.”

Also, “Beautiful and gentle, wild-eyed and mad.”

Those are actual “sentences” in this book. It’s filled to the brim with sentences that have implied (you) or implied (I) as the subject. The writ
Jill Corddry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who's ever had a forbidden crush (even if that crush didn't become your step-sibling)...

The writing is lush, each word carefully crafted to summon maximum emotion, from humor to gut-wrenching sorrow. Eva creates characters you want to know personally, to hang out with, to hug when times are tough, characters you'll miss when you finish the book.

This was one of the few novels I've read recently that I couldn't put down once I started it, and yet I hesitated over finishing it because I
nishireads
Stephanie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I was in the mood for a little angst and, oh boy, did I get that with Together We Caught Fire.

The story ended up being a little different than I thought it would be, based on the synopsis. There was still angst for days, but it wasn’t all romantic, love-triangle stuff. Lane is a complete mess and had issues in every single aspect of her life, mostly stemming from discovering her mother’s suicide when she was five years o
Shannon
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, death-and-grief
This book is like if Girl, Interrupted, Flowers in the Attic, and the emotion/Southern flair of Jeff Zentner all had a YA romance baby. Idk about you, but I am 100% here for that.

Full disclosure: I worked just a little bit on this book as an early reader as part of my job (the book has changed a lot since then) and am still friendly with the author. That said, there were lots of authors I worked with during that time and Eva was a true standout for me. Her writing is beautifully lush and emotio
hope
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Krystal
Feb 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lane, Conner, Grey and Sadie are the main characters in Together We Caught Fire, a book about forbidden romance, teen angst, and a lot of other issues that may not be okay for everyone to read. There is definitely a need for trigger warnings with this book - suicide and drug use, among others.

The beginning of this book was extremely confusing, I wasn't sure what was going on. It got better but to be honest, the overall book fell a little flat for me. There were some great parts, I'll give you th
Em(ily) Ann ♡︎♡︎♡︎ - theglitterybookworm_
3.75* but enough to be rounded
TW: mention of self harm, suicide. Drug/alcohol abuse.
Cait
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was very much not what I expected. I feel like I say this a lot, but it's true. The love triangle surprised me, as did how it all shook out. But it was a nice shift of a coming of age story. ...more
Celia McMahon
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers. Read at your own risk. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher.

Also, my Grammarly account is on hold so tough out the grammatical mistakes I am too lazy to fix.

When I first read the synopsis for this book I said to myself, this sounds like some weirdo dreams I used to have when I had a crush on Joshua Goodwin back in elementary school. I seriously imagined my mother divorcing my dad and marrying Josh's father (where his mother went, I don't know. Dead maybe. I was a weird kid)
Cyndi Becker
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*****5 ++++ Stars #MustReadRecomendation*****

"It wasn’t a kiss so much as an ignition— the sun lost behind the moon, the white-hot melt of flame and silver. It was the world flipped sideways, tilting us into chaos."

Together We Caught Fire is one of the most wonderfully surprising reads that I've experienced in a long while. The writing is EXQUISITE, the characters so perfectly imperfect. With a plot well thought out and executed, Eva Gibson delivers a story that demands your all and left me with
Angel
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
[2.5]
This is it. I finally found a book that will stop me from purchasing books based on the cover, which is a bit disappointing, but hey, at least I might save money. Though, to be fair, it wasn't completely awful; the premise wasn't bad. In fact, it was pretty intriguing, so when I finally read the summary after getting home, I had hope in it. However, this book just ended up as an extremely long and frustrating read.

The characters were one of my main problems with this book. I expected to be
Anouk
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So... Let's talk about his book.

First of all, it's definitely not a fluffy read and you should absolutely heed the multiple CW
Then, there are the characters, or more specifically the two main love interests Greyson and Connor.

I get that you would want to write characters that are flawed, not perfect, and struggling with issues of their own. I mean, the heroine is definitely not a flawless.
However, it is one thing to write them flawed and another to have them be the perfect embodiment of toxic
Brittany
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own*

Okay, so, this book topic was certainly a choice. Looking at the reviews I can see that I'm one of the few who was NOT impressed with it. Here's the gist: Lane has had a crush on Grey forever. But Grey is in a relationship with Sadie. He's also her STEPBROTHER thanks to her dad marrying his mom. Weirdness ensues of course.

So I'm no stranger to the incest trope. I grew up reading V C Andrews books

• Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • The Wicked Deep
  • Kissing Lessons
  • Bunny
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Arrangement
  • The Lucky Ones
  • The Book Boyfriend
  • Your B&B or Mine? (Maple Cove, #1)
  • The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Levitate
  • Dash of Peril (Love Undercover, #4)
Eva V. Gibson is the author of contemporary YA novels Together We Caught Fire (available now) and Where Secrets Lie (2021).
A bookworm since early childhood, Eva gravitated toward the dark and gritty, reading, then writing, stories with controversial themes and flawed, complicated characters.
She lives in Northern Virginia with her family, surrounded by kids, yarn, pets, and an ever-growing stack of

Articles featuring this book

Recent events have been especially tough on debut authors, with bookstores closed and book tours canceled. So we're rounding up a list of hit...