Start by marking “Together We Caught Fire” as Want to Read:
Together We Caught Fire

Together We Caught Fire

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  58 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A forbidden attraction grows even more complicated when the guy Lane Jamison has crushed on for years suddenly becomes her step-brother in this sexy and gorgeously written debut novel about the lines between love, desire, and obsession.

What happens when the boy you want most becomes the one person you can’t have?

Lane Jamison's life is turned upside down the week before her
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Together We Caught Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together We Caught Fire

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Together We Caught Fire
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
pages: 367
Expected publication: February 11th 2020

Fantastic storytelling!

This book had a ton of angst, so much it was almost painful. Despite all the angst I still liked it. The characters are well thought out and the places are described beautifully. The book is about a girl named Lane Jamison, who just turned eighteen at the end of the summer before her senior year. Lane’s mother killed herself by slitting her wrists in the bathroom when Lane was five years old. Her Dad recently got married
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holy hell. That was easily one of the best YA contemporaries I've read in a LONG time and I'm so amazed that this is Gibson's debut. I can't wait to see what she writes next! I'll have a full review for this one up soon, but trust me when I say that you absolutely need it as long as you can handle the extensive TW list (in spoiler tags below, mostly borrowed from the author's TW list at the beginning of the book).

Content warnings: (view spoiler)
Jennifer Moffett
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roaring20s
High school senior, Lane Jamison, lives with her longtime secret crush … who happens to be her brand new stepbrother … aaaand also her best friend’s boyfriend/possible (if God-fearing Sadie has her way) future fiancé. And then there’s Sadie’s older brother, Connor, a mysterious artist with whom Lane shares so many interests.

(It’s complicated. Like really complicated.)

Emotionally unavailable and perpetually conflicted, Lane does her best to maneuver through awkward family and friend-circle
Liz Lawson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness this book. I had been looking forward to reading it for MONTHS, and it did not disappoint. It's sexy, dark, romantic, painful - everything that I was hoping it would be.

Lane is in love with a boy. But not just any boy -- the son of the woman who her father has just married. That's right, her step-brother. She's been in love with him for years, and now is thrust into an incredibly confusing situation where she has to deal with her feelings for him while he's literally under the
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much Simon Teen for sending me an ARC of TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE to read and review!

***Trigger Warnings: Mentions of suicide, graphic flashbacks of suicide, drug overdose, death & self harm***

How do you put into words how much a book impacted you, how beautifully it is written and how days later you are still thinking about it, all with out sounding stupid because there are still tears in your eyes from all the feelings
Ron
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as emotionally raw, brutal, and beautiful as they come. The prose is to die for, the characters are stunningly rendered, the issues are timely, dark, and deeply important, and the story will stick with you long after you read the last page.
Jill Corddry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who's ever had a forbidden crush (even if that crush didn't become your step-sibling)...

The writing is lush, each word carefully crafted to summon maximum emotion, from humor to gut-wrenching sorrow. Eva creates characters you want to know personally, to hang out with, to hug when times are tough, characters you'll miss when you finish the book.

This was one of the few novels I've read recently that I couldn't put down once I started it, and yet I hesitated over finishing it because I
Katie
I! AM! TOTALLY! IN! LOVE! WITH! THIS! BOOK! There are so many little things that make this book different from any other YA contemp. you've ever read, and trust me, you'll fall in love too.

I mean, before the book even begins, we get trigger warnings. There've been a LOT of discussion in the Twitterverse lately about why books should have trigger warnings, but this is the first where I've actually seen them in print.

Please note that it is NOT up to authors whether or not these are included. Most
Stephanie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. I enjoyed this. I don't think it would be for everyone, but if you think you can handle the angst, buckle up and clear your schedule for this addictive debut. Full review to come.
Nora Carpenter
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Together We Caught Fire is just as sexy as the title implies, but it also takes the readers through all the emotions and into dark, vulnerable places.

The wonderful premise is a bit of a teen’s worse nightmare—the boy Lane has been in love with for years (who also happens to be the boyfriend of Lane’s best friend, Sadie) suddenly becomes Lane’s stepbrother, inhabiting the bedroom just on the other side of the wall. As Lane tries to navigate this new arrangement, the tragic past she’s trying to
Celia McMahon
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some spoilers. Read at your own risk. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher.

Also, my Grammarly account is on hold so tough out the grammatical mistakes I am too lazy to fix.

When I first read the synopsis for this book I said to myself, this sounds like some weirdo dreams I used to have when I had a crush on Joshua Goodwin back in elementary school. I seriously imagined my mother divorcing my dad and marrying Josh's father (where his mother went, I don't know. Dead maybe. I was a weird kid)
Kaitlyn
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
personally not my cup of tea since the plot wasn't the most inviting to me but i can see why other reviewers rated it highly. lots of stuff on mental health since the lead has been through a lot of shit but i am not a big fan of any of the characters. i don't usually read ya contemps though so i don't think i was the intended audience, though i do see how some people will enjoy this and how some wouldn't.

trigger warning for mentions of self-harm and some insensitive jokes but nothing too
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
An emotionally gripping story from start to finish! I don’t think I have ever felt so many emotions as I did with this novel! This story was so beautifully crafted I could feel each raw open wound and when Lane hurt I hurt along with her! Lanes journey was a rough one but seeing her grow and experiencing her pain turn into hope made my heart soar!

There’s so much to be said about a book that takes on tough topics and yet I don’t want it to ruin the experience of the journey! There’s so much
Jenna Monaco
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This honestly went much deeper into mental health than I’d expected and I was here for it. Read it in a day, beautiful writing.
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Ok. This one is a no for me. I was so completely lost in the beginning. I still can’t figure out exactly what was going on because the writing confuses me so. This author loves her metaphors and incomplete sentences. One of my least favorite was:

“Smashed her son alongside her, staining my world in Grey.”

Also, “Beautiful and gentle, wild-eyed and mad.”

Those are actual “sentences” in this book. It’s filled to the brim with sentences that have implied (you) or implied (I) as the subject. The
Emily Leyland
Lane Jamison's lifelong crush - Grey McIntyre - just became her stepbrother. She can't seem to repress her feelings for him despite this new familial connection and his girlfriend who is always around professing their intention to be together forever. For better or worse, Lane, Grey, his girlfriend Sadie, and her brother Connor become fast friends. They party together, fight together, and when Grey is wrapped up in Sadie, Lane turns to Connor for a bit of distraction. His honesty suites her and ...more
Jillian
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a review copy. When I read the description of Together We Caught Fire, I knew right away that I had to read it. The glowing reviews it had already attracted on this site only added to my resolve. This is a powerful story of a teenager who is already dealing with about all she can handle and is thrown for another loop when her longtime crush becomes her stepbrother. Having to handle her feelings for him (not as unreciprocated as she originally ...more
Danica (Shelves of Spines)
Rating: 4.5

*Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Wow. This book was jam packed with a lot of hard hitting subjects. Secret crushes, religion, homelessness, endometriosis, trauma and mental illness.

The main character Lane has been in love with Grey ever since they were paired during a science project/experiment together. When her dad invites her to dinner with his new girlfriend and their son she learns that the son is none other
I received this as an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Lane’s has had a crush on Grey for years, even before he started dating his girlfriend Sadie. It was never really a problem before because the two didn’t hang in the same circles. However, Lane’s father married Grey’s mother and now the new step siblings are living in the same house. Lane is trying to keep her feelings under wraps, but their new living arrangement is making it difficult to keep the unsaid things
hope
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jeraca
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned, arc
I received this free eARC novel from Edelweiss. This is my honest review.

I really wanted to like this book, but it just fell short for me, sadly. Thankfully I'm in the few who feel this way, so I'm hoping that all of the readers will feel different than me.

All of these characters are unstable, they are dealing with A LOT and this is a heavy subject to deal with. My issue was that I felt very apart from the characters. I couldn't connect with them, Lane was an emotional wreck (with good reason)
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My expectations were a YA romance, where the main character is crushing on her new stepbrother, but what this book was so much more and dealt with so much more. I haven't read a book that dives as deeply into grief and mental health as this one did in a long while. Lane is dealing with the lose of her mother to suicide when she was a child. Now as a young adult, Lane is living with a new stepmother and the stepbrother she has been crushing on for years. The story deals with Lane's crush but more ...more
Jacqui
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really bothered me, but I cannot give it a full review since I stopped reading at 50%. I know there are elements addressing mental health, but I don't think I got far enough to see how it was ultimately dealt with - however, the first half was slapdash and seemed to make the mental health issues drama-filled and almost cartoonish. There is LOTS of toxic masculinity. Lane's stepbrother is weirdly possessive, controlling and slut-shamey and then he's a sweet, caring guy - which is very ...more
Reagan Lassiter
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I have so many emotions that came with this book. When I first started reading I almost put it down. I thought it was confusing and plot was weirdly structured with characters that weren’t introduced but I am SO GLAD I kept reading.

This was a real book about seemingly real characters with real problems. Yes, it’s your typical “YA contemporary” but it also was so much more than that. The emotions of Lane and Grey, Connor and Sadie— they were raw and valid (to an extent) and weren’t glamorized or
Beca
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This honestly went much deeper into mental health than I’d expected and I was here for it. I mean it is as dark, emotionally raw, and beautiful as they come.

"People will ultimately be who they are. When your heart muddles everything else, you have to trust your eyes."

I might be a bit bias due to my profession, but the book as a whole provides a vivid, in-your-face look at the lasting effects of childhood trauma. The trauma/issues
Queen B
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Together we Caught Fire had a real weird dynamic going on. Meet our cast of characters:

-Lane: our heroine; in love with Grey; new stepsister to Grey; hangs out with Sadie but doesn’t seem to like her? flirts with Conner
-Grey: new stepbrother to Lane; dating (engaged??) to Sadie
-Sadie: Grey’s girlfriend; weirdly religious; claims Lane is her best friend (although they never hung out before Grey became Lane’s stepbrother)
-Conner: Sadie’s brother; kicked out by his parents when he came out as
Mel
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book was a wild ride with an ending I did not see coming. The author did a beautiful job of weaving descriptive narrative throughout the novel. This book touches on suicide (both personal and loss of another), drugs and alcohol use, homelessness, different spiritual beliefs, and mental health related topics. I'd recommend this novel to older teens/new adults - depending on maturity and reading level.

*Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Adrianna Schuh
I'm so bummed. Because this had the potential to be so dang good. But I just couldn't get into the story. It didn't flow well and it left me a bit confused. I did appreciate the trigger warnings. But overall I just couldn't connect with the characters or the story.
Azzurra Nox
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book dealt with some very heavy subject matter but it was handled in a realistic way. The love story between Grey and Lane was sizzling. I recommend if you're into romance.

Thanks to netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for allowing me to read this book.

• Echoes Between Us
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • Winterwood
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Permanent Record
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Throw Like a Girl
Eva V. Gibson grew up on the east coast of Florida. She graduated with degrees in journalism and English, then spent her post-college years immersed in Asheville’s art and music scene. She now lives the small-town life with her family, dividing her spare time between crochet projects, hiking, sporadic yoga practice, and an ever-growing stack of books she will definitely finish reading someday.