Start by marking “Together We Caught Fire” as Want to Read:
Together We Caught Fire

Together We Caught Fire

A forbidden attraction grows even more complicated when the guy Lane Jamison has crushed on for years suddenly becomes her step-brother in this sexy and gorgeously written debut novel about the lines between love, desire, and obsession.

What happens when the boy you want most becomes the one person you can’t have?

Lane Jamison's life is turned upside down the week before her
Published February 4th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Together We Caught Fire, please sign up.

Start your review of Together We Caught Fire
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
pages: 367
Expected publication: February 11th 2020

Fantastic storytelling!

This book had a ton of angst, so much it was almost painful. Despite all the angst I still liked it. The characters are well thought out and the places are described beautifully. The book is about a girl named Lane Jamison, who just turned eighteen at the end of the summer before her senior year. Lane’s mother killed herself by slitting her wrists in the bathroom when Lane was five years old. Her Dad recently got married an
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holy hell. That was easily one of the best YA contemporaries I've read in a LONG time and I'm so amazed that this is Gibson's debut. I can't wait to see what she writes next! I'll have a full review for this one up soon, but trust me when I say that you absolutely need it as long as you can handle the extensive TW list (in spoiler tags below, mostly borrowed from the author's TW list at the beginning of the book).

Content warnings: (view spoiler)
Jordan Davidson
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’m disappointed in myself for reading this in the first place. I don’t know what I expected, but it should’ve been this.

Part of me thinks this wouldn’t have been so bad if it weren’t for the overly flowery prose and ridiculous metaphors the author insisted on cramming into every sentence and paragraph and page. I described it to a bookish friend as “15-year-old who owns a thesaurus and just found fanfiction.net” and I still think that descriptor is painfully apropos.

And maybe even THAT wouldn
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, SimonTeen, for an honest review.

“How many nights would I lie awake, listening through the thin wall of my bedroom for the sleep-jagged edge of his breath? This boy, so long unreachable-the core of everything I’d wanted, mangled and reassembled into a cosmic joke.”

description

I have always gravitated towards books that will punch a hole through my gut and make my heart feel like its weeping. A book that forgoes dancing around truths by ripping back t
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***2.5/5 Stars***

I've sat on this review for almost two weeks now. And that's not normal for me. At all. But I kept thinking that as time passed, maybe my thoughts would change. You see, while this story was an emotional powerhouse, I couldn't connect to or like the majority of the characters. So even though this book didn't work for me, I have a feeling others are going to resonate and feel this story in their soul. I wish I was one of those, but sadly I wasn't.
He’d occupied my heart f
Liz Lawson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this book. I had been looking forward to reading it for MONTHS, and it did not disappoint. It's sexy, dark, romantic, painful - everything that I was hoping it would be.

Lane is in love with a boy. But not just any boy -- the son of the woman who her father has just married. That's right, her step-brother. She's been in love with him for years, and now is thrust into an incredibly confusing situation where she has to deal with her feelings for him while he's literally under the sam
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much Simon Teen for sending me an ARC of TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE to read and review!

***Trigger Warnings: Mentions of suicide, graphic flashbacks of suicide, drug overdose, death & self harm***

How do you put into words how much a book impacted you, how beautifully it is written and how days later you are still thinking about it, all with out sounding stupid because there are still tears in your eyes from all the feelings this
Katy Upperman
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Deliciously angsty, with gorgeous, lyrical prose. This is an intense read (like, lots of content warnings) but there’s an underlying thread of hopefulness. I really loved it!
Ron
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is as emotionally raw, brutal, and beautiful as they come. The prose is to die for, the characters are stunningly rendered, the issues are timely, dark, and deeply important, and the story will stick with you long after you read the last page.
Katie
I! AM! TOTALLY! IN! LOVE! WITH! THIS! BOOK! There are so many little things that make this book different from any other YA contemp. you've ever read, and trust me, you'll fall in love too.

♥ I mean, before the book even begins, we get trigger warnings. There've been a LOT of discussion in the Twitterverse lately about why books should have trigger warnings, but this is the first where I've actually seen them in print.

Please note that it is NOT up to authors whether or not these are included. Mos
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

There is, blissfully, a content warning given at the start of the book. I will include it in my review, verbatum from the unfinished advanced copy, for your trigger warning needs:
This story contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, suicide, cutting and self-harm, vivid nightmare imagery, substance a
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and this has in no way affected my thoughts.

I'm gonna be honest: when I was first approached about reading and reviewing this one, I was kind of iffy on it. My first impression was a sort of incesty (step-siblings)romance novel, but as I started to get into it I realized that this wasn't really the case and it became less uncomfortable. I also hadn't really read any books of a similar fashion because of said incest
Olivia Wildenstein
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“We fell into the stars. They funneled out of the darkness and seeped into my senses, overlapping and infinite, distant and impossibly close.”

This book will char your heart, then set it aflame again.

I don’t think there is a better way to describe Gibson’s TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE as one long and beautiful, devastating yet hopeful poem. Her characters were marvelous and made the lyrical journey addictive. I absolutely adored Connor and his sister Sadie.

TWCF was so dark at times that I swear I cou
2.5/ 5 stars

Together We Caught Fire is a mature Young Adult novel.

The narrator is 18 year old high school senior Elaine/Lane (1st person POV).

The beginning of the book was extremely odd to me. And I had a bit of a hard time figuring out what was happening. However, after that the book was a lot easier to follow.

The main characters are Lane, Grey, Sadie and Connor. Sadie and Connor are brother and sister. Also Lane's father and Grey's mother recently got married.

Lane has a lot of problems/issues.
Jill Corddry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who's ever had a forbidden crush (even if that crush didn't become your step-sibling)...

The writing is lush, each word carefully crafted to summon maximum emotion, from humor to gut-wrenching sorrow. Eva creates characters you want to know personally, to hang out with, to hug when times are tough, characters you'll miss when you finish the book.

This was one of the few novels I've read recently that I couldn't put down once I started it, and yet I hesitated over finishing it because I
nishireads
Stephanie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I was in the mood for a little angst and, oh boy, did I get that with Together We Caught Fire.

The story ended up being a little different than I thought it would be, based on the synopsis. There was still angst for days, but it wasn’t all romantic, love-triangle stuff. Lane is a complete mess and had issues in every single aspect of her life, mostly stemming from discovering her mother’s suicide when she was five years o
Shannon
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, death-and-grief
This book is like if Girl, Interrupted, Flowers in the Attic, and the emotion/Southern flair of Jeff Zentner all had a YA romance baby. Idk about you, but I am 100% here for that.

Full disclosure: I worked just a little bit on this book as an early reader as part of my job (the book has changed a lot since then) and am still friendly with the author. That said, there were lots of authors I worked with during that time and Eva was a true standout for me. Her writing is beautifully lush and emotio
Eva
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: girlhood-gothic
I have exactly zero idea how I feel about this book but one thing's for sure, and it's that I didn't read it in the slightest as a "sexy" story (whatever that means) about "the lines between love, desire, and obsession." It struck me instead as a predictable, somewhat clumsy but altogether well-meaning novel about mental health, inherited trauma and, well, yarn. It's very repetitive and angsty (and in that way, it might not be too bad at portraying a realistic teenage crush) but it has some good ...more
Emily Ann ♡︎♡︎♡︎
3.75* but enough to be rounded
TW: mention of self harm, suicide. Drug/alcohol abuse.
Cait
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This was very much not what I expected. I feel like I say this a lot, but it's true. The love triangle surprised me, as did how it all shook out. But it was a nice shift of a coming of age story.
Celia McMahon
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers. Read at your own risk. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher.

Also, my Grammarly account is on hold so tough out the grammatical mistakes I am too lazy to fix.

When I first read the synopsis for this book I said to myself, this sounds like some weirdo dreams I used to have when I had a crush on Joshua Goodwin back in elementary school. I seriously imagined my mother divorcing my dad and marrying Josh's father (where his mother went, I don't know. Dead maybe. I was a weird kid)
Cyndi Becker
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*****5 ++++ Stars #MustReadRecomendation*****

"It wasn’t a kiss so much as an ignition— the sun lost behind the moon, the white-hot melt of flame and silver. It was the world flipped sideways, tilting us into chaos."

Together We Caught Fire is one of the most wonderfully surprising reads that I've experienced in a long while. The writing is EXQUISITE, the characters so perfectly imperfect. With a plot well thought out and executed, Eva Gibson delivers a story that demands your all and left me with
dani
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
the writing, the characters, the story, it consumed me
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok. This one is a no for me. I was so completely lost in the beginning. I still can’t figure out exactly what was going on because the writing confuses me so. This author loves her metaphors and incomplete sentences. One of my least favorite was:

“Smashed her son alongside her, staining my world in Grey.”

Also, “Beautiful and gentle, wild-eyed and mad.”

Those are actual “sentences” in this book. It’s filled to the brim with sentences that have implied (you) or implied (I) as the subject. The writ
Nora Carpenter
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Together We Caught Fire is just as sexy as the title implies, but it also takes the readers through all the emotions and into dark, vulnerable places.

The wonderful premise is a bit of a teen’s worse nightmare—the boy Lane has been in love with for years (who also happens to be the boyfriend of Lane’s best friend, Sadie) suddenly becomes Lane’s stepbrother, inhabiting the bedroom just on the other side of the wall. As Lane tries to navigate this new arrangement, the tragic past she’s trying to o
Elizabeth Mcdermott
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Arielle
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was in search of a light, kind of mind-numbing read. Dark times right now and I read a pretty depressing play yesterday. So, I thought what better time to crack open a romance?

I'll be real: I didn't really know what this was about. I just liked the cover. The title seemed interesting. Not my usual criteria for picking up a book.

And this just wasn't... my kind of book. The writing wasn't bad, per se. It just wasn't my style. Some of the dialogue felt forced/awkward. The exchanges seemed a litt
Alex Ryder
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
I loved this book and I just didn't gave it a 5 stars because I felt disappointed with the ending.
I loved Lane and how complex she felt, but most of all I loved her relationship with Connor. It was so cute!

Trigger warnings: suicide, self harm
Helen
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intense. Passionate. Sensual. Visceral. Angsty. Dark.

I love books that are a rollercoaster of emotion, especially those that burn with #feels so strong, it's as if the very pages will scald my fingers.

And I have a very special spot in my book-loving heart for stories about forbidden love, when the cosmos delights in making a mockery of a character's deepest, most-agonizing longing. Gibson probed the tender underbelly of Lane and Grey's taboo attraction, almost reveling in Lane's torment, spinnin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bunny
  • Echoes Between Us
  • You Say It First
  • Last Chance Summer
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • By the Book
Eva V. Gibson is the author of contemporary YA novels Together We Caught Fire (available now) and Where Secrets Lie (2021).
A bookworm since early childhood, Eva gravitated toward the dark and gritty, reading, then writing, stories with controversial themes and flawed, complicated characters.
She lives in Northern Virginia with her family, surrounded by kids, yarn, pets, and an ever-growing stack of

Articles featuring this book

Recent events have been especially tough on debut authors, with bookstores closed and book tours canceled. So we're rounding up a list of hit...