Start by marking “Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life” as Want to Read:

We've all been there: stuck in a cycle of what-ifs, plagued by indecision, paralyzed by the fear of getting it wrong. Nobody wants to live a life of constant overthinking, but it doesn't feel like something we can choose to stop doing. It feels like something we're wired to do, something we just can't escape. But is it?

Anne Bogel's answer is no. Not only can you overcome
Published March 3rd 2020 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Overthink It, please sign up.
Stacie Kenney While I think Anne targets women, since it is thought that woman often overthink*, more so than men. I do think anyone who endures negative thought…moreWhile I think Anne targets women, since it is thought that woman often overthink*, more so than men. I do think anyone who endures negative thought processes could benefit from this book. In that regard it would not be just for women.
*Anne did a fair amount of research for this book, but I don't recall anything specific to male vs. female on the overthinking front.(less)
BookstagramETC No mentions of Christianity or religion in this book. It's stories and strategies for how to break out of a loop of overthinking and ways to make…moreNo mentions of Christianity or religion in this book. It's stories and strategies for how to break out of a loop of overthinking and ways to make decisions from your values (ex. showing up for friends, having memorable experiences, etc.). (less)

Start your review of Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life
Anne Bogel
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's here!

I'd like to share a quote from Annie Dillard that captures why this topic is so important to me, and to you:

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. What we do with this hour, and that one, is what we are doing.

When we spend our time overthinking, that's what we're doing.

Nobody wants to live a life characterized by overthinking. I'm certain you have better things to do. This book is for those of us who, like me, want to live our lives well. And we know living well
JanB
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How do I even begin to review a book with so many nuggets of wisdom, that if I listed them all Id re-write the entire book?

Dont make the mistake of thinking this book is only for overthinkers. At its heart, its a book to help anyone live a more joyful, abundant life. I read my e-galley once for an overview and now will go back through and slowly read the hard copy I pre-ordered and put these nuggets of wisdom into practice.

Anne is one of my favorite bloggers/podcasters and this book is pure
Kari Ann Sweeney
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive my ARC in person at the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club Reading Retreat last September. Where I actually said, "I don't really think I'm much of an over thinker, so this should be interesting." Oh, sweet deluded Kari. You were so very wrong. You do overthink.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Anne provides real life examples of how overthinking impacts daily life. She uses everyday situations that were easy for me to identify with. On more than one occasion I said "Oh- that's totally me. Yep - I
Kaytee Cobb
Did I overthink when I should finish this book so that reading the galley didn't count AGAINST my goal to read all black authors in February? Yes, yes I did. But mostly, I'm not an overthinker. So, this book ended up being quite a bit of a revelation to me. Like "wow, I had no idea people struggled this hard with this!" That being said, if you think you might be an overthinker, you'll find lots of great info and actionable tips in here!
As an Anne Bogel fangirl, I was thrilled to be part of the
Janssen
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
I just really enjoyed reading this - delightful and practical.
Linda Hutchinson
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, this book post is crooked, I have two straight up and down book photos consecutively on IG, and I dont think I captured the beautiful pink book cover just right...but Im not going to overthink it! Honestly, I have never been a big fan of the art of tidying up type books, but this is different and I loved it. Here is a useful tool with a lot of great advice on how we can overcome daily analysis paralysis over decision-making and how to actually make our lives better. I dont need a perfectly ...more
Fergus
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ive got a theory: I developed it while thinking about Anne Bogels wonderful book.

I think weve now got far too many Mental Microbes.

Self-doubt. Ennui. Guilt. Sloth. The list is endless. Theyre our Mental Microbes.

And now especially, with social distancing. NOW you can add anger and Nameless Dread to that list. These emotions can FREEZE our actions and prevent us from acting DECISIVELY.

We doubt ourselves, waffle and waver, and our headspace is a Jumble Sale chock full of unattractive remnants of
Leigh Kramer
I'm not rating or reviewing this because 1) I beta read it 2) the author is a client and 3) she's one of my dearest friends and I'm 100% biased. But I will say this: I'm not an overthinker but I think this could be a valuable, practical resource for anyone who does struggle with this.
Yesenia Juarez
Didnt expect this to be this short, nothing special. ...more
Subhralin
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We all come across every aspect that is highlighted in this book, but what makes Anne Bogel's work so very appreciable is the knack of inking it to the highest level of convincing every reader.

A must keep in every bookshelf.
Cheryl
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After weeks of ignoring promotions for this new release -- because I am, after all, a decisive, resolution-oriented, swift-action-taking person -- imagine my surprise when I caught myself losing two hours of my life shopping for just the right birthday card then belaboring my decision all the way to the post office. I drove right home and ordered this.

With each new chapter, I SWORE the contents wouldn't pertain, then I'd get hit between the eyeballs. It's no exaggeration when reviews call this
Camille Pagán
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If youre prone to anxiety, overanalyzing, or both (raising my hand here), then Dont Overthink It is for you. With an approach thats as forgiving as it is practical, Bogel tackles everyday energy-sappers like decision fatigue, technology overload, and self-sabotage disguised as data collection. Bogels advice on building in margin for the unexpected feels especially on-point right nowI found myself picking the book back up this week to reread the section on building in wiggle room for lifes ...more
Renee
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I preordered this book, but Im also so thankful to Baker Books for the early eARC of Dont Overthink It. I truly think this book will be life changing for me.
I have been an over-thinker my entire life, worried about how others perceived me and whether or not I was doing the right things. When I saw that Anne was writing a book about overthinking, I knew it was a book I needed to read!
Throughout the book Anne discusses reasons why we overthink and she includes actionable strategies to help get a
Kelly
There are some really practical approaches to quell overthinking, but if there's anything I learned while reading this, it's that other people's overthinking makes my anxiety terrible. I couldn't relate to any of these overthinking scenarios (turns out I don't overthink), but I sure did feel completely anxious listening to them. Which isn't a criticism of the book but more an interesting reading observation.
tiasreads
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Thanks to NetGalley and Baker Books for providing an ARC of this book.)

Analysis paralysis. Rumination. Perfectionism. How do we fight these and so many other types of overthinking? Values-based decision making. Completing the cycle. Simple abundance.

Fans of Anne Bogel, her blog (Modern Mrs. Darcy), and her podcast (What Should I Read Next) will be familiar with Anne's skill for bringing universal subjects to an intimate level and helping us see them with fresh eyes. She turns her talent to the
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-ficiton
A well written, well planned and presented book on over thinking. Are you guilty of over-thinking? Most likely in some area or another! And if you think you're not just be aware of yourself for a day and see. I found myself debating whether I'd roast or put the chicken in the crock pot for today's meal. Too much mental energy expended.

With wonderfully real examples Anne Bogel depicts the over thinking that many of us engage in (from time to time) and gives us tips to manage this little habit
Kelli Roberts
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I feel was written just for me. And not only that, it feels like I'm having a conversation with a good girlfriend when I'm reading it. Anne's writing style is calm, clear and personal, all while providing information and anecdotes that are applicable to so many situations. We learn what overthinking really is and how it manifests in our lives, and get practical steps for how to handle it. I found myself in many of the pages of this book, thinking "Oh yes, I do ...more
Janet
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didnt really think I was much of an overthinker, but I love the way Anne Bogel writes, so I eagerly pre-ordered this book, which comes out March 3. One of the preorder bonuses was a NetGalley ebook and the opportunity to read this book before publication.

Reading this book, I have realized that I am, in fact, an overthinker, and so is almost everyone else in my family! We just used different terms to describe our behavior. One of my favorite terms in this book is analysis paralysis. Our family
Karen
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
This was the right book at the right time for me. I've recently had some significant (positive) life changes that brought with them a flurry of opportunities... to overthink. Unfortunately, overthinking can become a habit and begin to sap the joy from one's life.

Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life describes the ways we engage in overthinking, what prompts us to overthink, and thankfully, identifies ways to reduce one's tendency to
Samantha
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am writing this review as someone with crippling anxiety- oftentimes, even the smallest decisions will send me into a tailspin of worry and stress. Overthinking is a serious problem for me, so when I heard that Anne's new book was titled "Don't Overthink It", I became very hopeful that perhaps this was going to help me. Within the first chapter, I knew that I was right. Anne directs her readers through every aspect of overthinking, and she does so with her own experiences in overcoming ...more
Ashley
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is like sitting with your therapist for several hours, after youve already done the gross work of mucking through your emotions, and youve moved on to the practical and helpful part of practicing strategies to cope with your anxiety and indecision and constant self-doubt. Theres no hokey self help messages here, just simple, practical, and completely applicable strategies to help you make confident decisions and move on.

I dont think of myself as a chronic overthinker, but when my anxiety
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I went into this book not considering myself an overthinker. I still don't, but I did find a few relatable points in the book. More importantly, it caused me to empathize with people in my life who do overthink, and how I might be able to help them or even just relate to them. Anne gives so many practical, simple tips on how to calm anxious thoughts and stop second-guessing ourselves. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who relates to the title!
RuthAnn
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Thank you to Baker Books for my free copy!

Don't Overthink It is firmly in Anne Bogel's oeuvre; readers and listeners of her blog and podcast will find the same friendly, plainspoken, encouraging tones in this book about letting go of analysis paralysis so that we can live a life that feels solid and free. It's also a really practical book with lots of ideas to try, plus space for reflection and action-planning. I think it could be a great gift for a new grad, someone who's considering a job
Carrie
My favorite Anne Bogel book to date. This book was so readable and practical. Even if you don't think you're an Overthinker... Read this! Most likely you will have an Aha moment. I lost count of how many times while reading it I was nodding my head saying "Yes! Yes!"

And next time I'm at Trader Joe's, I'm buying myself the damn flowers for my desk.

Thank you to the author and publisher for a copy of this book via Netgalley.
Karla Osorno
Anne Bogel has a book coming out March 3, 2020. Honestly I would buy it just because its her creation, guaranteeing it will be good. Annes style, wisdom, and relatability are as good as gold to me.

Beyond that, the topic she addresses is one I have needed help with. Back in the day when I was working full time and in productive mode 24/7 I was decisive most of the time. My job and life demanded it and my habits allowed for decisiveness.

In the past several years as my roles have become more
Traci
Feb 11, 2020 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
In Don't Overthink It, Anne Bogel gives a plethora of suggestions and strategies for dealing with all the what-ifs, should haves, and second-guessing that suck the joy out of life. She addresses the role that perfectionism, habits, and our environment (such as clutter) have in overthinking, and how to stop the cycle before it consumes us. She states: "Perfectionism-driven overthinking often dwells in the space of what-ifs and second-guessing. The moment of our decision may have passed, but we ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I am a worrier. I am a detail oriented person. I like control and perfection. All this adds up to mean that I am an overthinker. For that reason, the title of this book just jumped out to me. Yes! I need this! Help me!

I have two favorite things about this book:
1) It is relatable. I love when an author giving advice to others gives examples of where they struggle in the same area. Each chapter contains an example from Anne's own life as well as many examples from other ordinary men and women.

Michele
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I had the opportunity to read this book prior to its release date. What a great book! It's a quick read with down-to-earth, real-life examples of overthinking. I believe that most people could identify with one aspect of over-thinking given in this book. I also found many practical solutions to over-thinking in her book. She refers to this quote from Annie Dillard more than once, "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. What we do with this hour, and that one, is what we ...more
Jaime Ryberg
This book has become the book I plan on buying for all of my friends this year. This book provides real life examples of common areas we all tend to spin in circles trying to make decisions and provides easy steps to implement to make changes in habits to decrease decision fatigue!
Chapter 4 is titled Decide What Matters and this really helped me see what has been causing me to avoid some decisions but not others. The decisions that compliment my goals are the ones that are made quickly!
HollyLovesBooks
Anne Bogel is masterful in her ability to persuade. Whether it is in calling out all of us who overthink everything, sometimes to the point of decision paralysis or in her podcast trying to entice people to read something that they hadn't ever considered. This book brilliantly does this through insightful messages and ideas.
Great book for anyone looking for a shot of positivity and insight.
Thank you for the eARC. I've already bought the final book.
#Netgalley #Don'tOverthinkIt #BakerBooks

• How Reading Changed My Life
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • In the Dream House
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • The Good House
  • The Stationery Shop
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1)
  • The Deep
  • The Body in Question
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Afterlife of Holly Chase
Anne Bogel is an author, the creator of the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy, and host of What Should I Read Next? podcast.

Dont Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life releases March 3, 2020.

Her second book Id Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life explores the way our books shape, define, enchant, and even sometimes infuriate us.

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, ...
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?” “That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat. Lewis Carroll” 0 likes
“Nothing had just happened to her, she had made a choice, and then she had made another and another after that. Taken together, the small choices anyone made added up to a life. J. Courtney Sullivan” 0 likes