Start by marking “The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue #1)

The Way of the Brave

(Global Search and Rescue #1)

Former pararescue jumper Orion Starr is haunted by the memory of a rescue gone wrong. He may be living alone in Alaska now, but the pain of his failure--and his injuries--has followed him there from Afghanistan. He has no desire to join Hamilton Jones's elite rescue team, but he also can't shirk his duty when the call comes in to rescue three lost climbers on Denali.

Former
Published January 7th 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Brave

Start your review of The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue #1)
Toni Shiloh
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good!

From the very beginning, I was hooked on the story and the characters. I LOVED that the hero was a former AF PJ (go Air Force!). And I love that we'll get to see the rest of the characters in upcoming books because I definitely want to know what happens with Ham and Jake and Aria. Ms. Warren knocked this series opener out the ballpark.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley. My review was not required nor influenced.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
It took me a bit to really get into this book. There are a lot of characters introduced quickly and it was hard enough to keep everyone straight at first let alone make emotional connections. I can see that this story is laying the foundation for the series to come and there are many, many players in this game. Each book will add a layer to an overarching story/mystery to be solved. It's exciting to think about.

I have no idea how people willingly go into places like Denali where it's well below
Gloria
This is such a great start to a new series that kept me glued to the story until the end. It is filled with adventure, danger, relational tension, romance and a strong thread of faith woven throughout.
Orion Starr grew up in Alaska near Denali where his father worked. He is back in Copper Mountain after leaving the Air Force Pararescue Jumpers following a mission gone really bad. He is angry at God, bitter and confused about the bad mission, especially after so much loss in his family life. His
Susan Snodgrass
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'You're just mad because God didn't answer your prayer the way you wanted him to.'

When you pick up a Susan May Warren book, you can be sure that you will not be disappointed. Ever. As she begins another series, that, by the way, promises to be amazing, I was again reminded of that fact.

'That thing inside you that you can't keep dodging, that pull to do something more with your life? God isn't finished with you yet. He's calling you to something.....'

Warren begins her new series, Global Search
Maria
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
4.5 stars.
“The Way of the Brave”, by Susan May Warren (Revell), is a beautifully written, intense story, where characters haunted by guilt and tragedy seek redemption in the cold, “harsh beauty” of Denali Mountain.
Orion Starr, with his quiet manner and “focused energy”, a man “practically born to ice and snow” and to climb Denali is a fascinating, wounded hero, a rescuer to the core.
Both afflicted with guilt and tragedy in their
Lori
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Susan May Warren book ever and I must say I am going to have to catch up on some of her other books!! I now know why my friend loves her so much!!
This is filled with action/adventure and will take you where no one has gone before.
The cover once again grabbed my attention. I love it that the story inside matches what is in the story.
I think the only thing I didn't really like was the romance aspect of it. I thought that it was too soon into the book but I guess if a couple feels the
Sarah Grace Grzy
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, aside from being a bit dramatic and a little kissy, this was actually really good! And now I'm D.Y.I.N.G. for the rest of Ham's story! What an awful cliffhanger. XD

RTC
Ashley Johnson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book! There were a lot of things that I liked about this book, however there were many things that I had issues with as well. Ok, lets dive into some of the issues I had with this one.

First of all I have to say that I felt as if the beginning of Way of the Brave was completely different from the last 2/3 of the book. I felt as a reader I was thrust into an ongoing story that I was having to catch up and piece together bits of information that were implied or that
Nicole
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Today, we save lives.”

The Way of the Brave, the first novel in award winning author Susan May Warren’s new Global Search and Rescue series, takes readers on a journey to the state of Alaska, where Denali, the tallest mountain in North America, can be found in all of its treacherous beauty.

Readers were first introduced to former pararescue jumper Orion Starr in Susan May Warren’s Summer of the Burning Sky series. After devastating losses and injuries during his time in Afghanistan, Orion has
Rebecca
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
"We don't stop living live because bad things can, or will, happen."

Orion Starr and Jenny Calhoun had stopping living, in a way, since a mission went terribly wrong in Afghanistan. Orion, a pararescue jumper and Jenny, an CIA agent posing as an embedded journalist were on opposite ends of the tragedy; Orion lost teammates and sustained injuries requiring a knee replacement; Jenny, on the other hand, had a nervous breakdown. The remarkable friendship they had molded on the battlefield
Necee
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The question is, are you brave enough to let go and give him your heart?”

This is a story of bravery, of being strong, and of conquering your fears. Yet, it is also about letting others help, of teamwork, and of trusting Someone bigger than yourself. It’s letting go of your past, the guilt and hurt that can turn into bitterness and anger. The adrenaline and adventure are the icing on the cake of this storyline. Warren kept me hooked with this climbing adventure from this first book in the
Madison
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Way of the Brave launches a new series by pro writer Susan May Warren. With her trademark breathtaking romance, fearless heroes and endless suspense and action, The Way of the Brave is a thrilling and slightly daunting read.

Jacie is haunted by mistakes she made while working as an undercover CIA profiler - mistakes that led to good service men being injured and killed. Now, with her two best friends, she is attempting to scale Denali, a ruthless mountain, in a bid to remind herself she is
Toni Osborne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Global Search and Rescue #1

Set in the cold and brutal Alaska this odyssey brings a group of ice climbers to Mount Denali, North American highest mountain. Extreme challenge is their way of escape and nature provides the toughest of grounds to satisfy them. Even with all the skills and experience the climbers will need rescuing. The adventure brings together former pararescue jumper Orion Starr and former CIA profiler Jenny Calhoun, the two main characters, to face their demons….

I have mixed
Eva
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Actual rating: 3.5 (I rounded up.)

How do I describe my thoughts about this book? 'Mixed'.

The Way of the Brave is a gripping inspirational adventure story, but it wasn't all great. In this review, I'll be unpacking what worked for me, what didn't, and my overall thoughts on the story.

WHAT I DID LIKE:

-The characters. Jenny and Orion were hugely likable leads (Orion's name still makes me roll my eyes, but whatever). Each grappled with their own personal demons - each had their own reasons for
Marylin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
When I read a book, I like to highlight or underline quotes that are powerful and gripping. Well, in this new book by Susan May Warren it’s as if the WHOLE book is underlined. In the first paragraph, there is a quote that shows the mood of our hero Orion.

“But he belonged in all that cold and darkness, under the shadow of unforgiving Denali, buried under a numbing layer of ice and snow.”

Orion is a man trapped with dark feelings of anger for a past he had no control of. Jenny has a secret that is
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this one three and a half out of five, rounded up to four. I struggled a bit to know what to give it, but I think that's a fair rating. What I didn't realise when I started reading it, was that it was a religious romance. I cottoned on fairly quickly when various characters started referring to God as though he were an off-screen character that they all knew well. Perhaps that's how they and the author feel? I don't know, it just wasn't what I had been expecting.
The book itself deals
Faye
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A battle for survival against the elements, brings Orion Starr face to face with a familiar face as they fight to get off of Denali alive.

Orion returns home from his time in Afghanistan injured after a failed mission to his home in Alaska. When a group of climbers goes missing--a group that includes a former ally, Orion agrees to join the rescue team to go up after them. Orion has never wanted to go up the mountain, because he respects it's dangerous beauty and is still recovering from injuries
Kelly Bridgewater
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Way of the Brave by Susan May Warren is a gut-clenching trek through and up Mount Denali in Alaska. I have always wanted to go to Alaska, so Warren does a wonderful job at bringing Alaska to me. I also love snow, winter, and cold weather. While the characters have to endure horrible conditions to survive. I love how Warren introduced us to some very brave characters who would do anything to survive. I had a hard time putting the novel down. I couldn't wait to see who would survive and leave ...more
Amy
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it

Action packed (and I mean very action packed) debut into Warren’s brand new Global Rescue series. Heavy on the climbing and mountaineering jargon and if that’s not your thing - you might feel a little overwhelmed. I love the outdoors and her approach to writing about it - at times though I just needed things to calm down a bit for my overtired brain!! I read to destress and this will not be a relaxing read.

I loved the new characters, and all the plot lines behind everyone. I feel like
Susan K
Romance, clean; Christian faith elements, series, but stand alone first read
This was a gorgeous read! I rarely put up 5 star reviews for non-classic novels. The drama, suspense, attraction, romance, action, all of it so well-crafted and just a whirlwind read! SMW is the master of high adventure romantic suspense. You felt like you were on the mountain with these climbers, and holding your breath at every moment, twist and turn in the novel. She has mastered the romantic suspense novel. The novel
Danielle Urban
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Susan May Warren is one of the best suspense writers, today. Her novels have it all. The danger, risks, and romance all in one action packed read. This book, wrapped its way into the center of my heart. I could not let it go.

The whole story was centered around several characters all intertwined with each other's. Like a CIA operative who had a key role in the events of the seals mission. The seals lost their teammates and more. Now, they are preparing to go on a mountain to rescue women.

One
Ashley
The Way of the Brave is the exciting, adventure-filled opener to Susan May Warren's new Global Search and Rescue series. Loaded with all the goodness I've come to expect in a Warren novel, wonderful characters, a descriptive setting, heart-racing suspense, and a strong spiritual thread, it was hard to put down.

It did get off to a slow start for me, but the pace picked up quickly and it wasn't long before I could hardly catch my breath from all the excitement. It seemed like anything and
Michelle
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an adventure! I am so excited for this new series and this first book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I loved all of the characters and I am eager to read the next story. This book is non-stop action from the battle field to the mountainside of Denali. I don’t know anything about climbing and I am amazed that people attempt to climb these mountains! I was able to visit Denali a few years ago, from a distance of course, and I didn’t realize climbing to the top was a ...more
Stella Potts
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a new series for Susan May Warren and she has scored a home run (again). I don’t think anyone can write about hunky hero’s like she does. This one is a mountain climber who rescues people who get lost and this time it was a woman from his past whom he was in love with. This book is full of danger, romance and suspense and at times it will keep you on the edge wondering how in the world they are going to get out of their situation. I can tell you I never want to climb ...more
Nicole
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For lovers of adventure/survival and romance, way of the Brave is a book you don't want to miss!
I loved so much about this book.
I loved how this story talks about people struggling with the harsh things that happen in life, the things that happen out of our control.

Orion is hiding from his past, Jenny is running from hers.
When both of them are thrown together in a life and death struggle on the side of the Denali, all I can say is wow!
I loved the survival, fight against the elements aspect of
Justicereads
Wow, I had no idea that I could become more attached to a Susan May Warren series than I did with the Montana Rescue Me series, but Orion and Jenny's story has blew me away. If I could only learn how to write characters like Warren does, I would be a happy camper.

This story is strong, powerful and moving. You will laugh. You will tear up or cry. You will find yourself holding your breath!
JoAnn
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic romantic adventure. Great edge of your seat plot that kept me glued to the book. I always know I can depend on Ms Warren for an entertaining book. I will be waiting impatiently for the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book.
Sarah Monzon
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m in awe of the research done to write this book. The details of mountaineering and ice climbing to the intricacies of Denali. I’ve never wanted to climb a mountain and now I really don’t. I’d loooove to go to Denali though, but I’ll stay on hikes in the lower elevation, thank you very much. ...more
Linda Goad
Throughly enjoyed it.
Jennifer Robb
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: LibraryThing Early Reviewers
The first book in a new series (Global Search and Rescue) from Susan May Warren. The book started slowly for me and I struggled to care about the characters. I was halfway through the book or more before I started caring what happened to the characters.

There are six main characters: 3 women and 3 men. (WARNING: SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW--READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION)

The Women:

Jenny Calhoun (AKA Jacie)-a former CIA profiler who suffered a nervous breakdown after being fooled by a 10-year old Afghani
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • The Dating Charade
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Royally Yours
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
I can't help be amazed at the gifts God has delighted me with - a wonderful husband, four amazing children, and the opportunity to write for Him.

I've been writing as long as I can remember - I won my first book writing contest in first grade! Over the years, writing has become, for me, a way to praise God and see Him at work in my life.

Although I have a degree in Mass Communications from the

Global Search and Rescue (2 books)
  • The Heart of a Hero (Global Search and Rescue, #2)
“You're just mad because God didn't answer your prayer the way you wanted him to.” 1 likes
“The goal was always to keep ahead of the pain.” 0 likes