Start by marking “Something New” as Want to Read:
Something New

Something New

Virginia, 1895

After waiting four years for her best friend to return from sea, Wren Cromwell's dream of building a life with Tate Kennedy has wilted during his unexpected absence. Then, just as suddenly as he departed the mountain of their childhood, he returns, bringing with him tales of Norway's icy fjords and his time aboard ship on the North Sea. As spring unfurls arou
Published September 1st 2019 by Mason Jar Books

To ask other readers questions about Something New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something New

Start your review of Something New
Brittany
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something New was a beautiful and gentle story of love renewed. These two characters, Tate and Wren, never stopped loving each other, yet they were separated for four years. Wren carried a lot of sadness from Tate’s abrupt departure years earlier and it was so sweet to watch as Tate worked to show Wren exactly how much he cared for her.

This novella can stand alone, however, readers who enjoyed Daughters of Northern Shores will recognize Haakon and Tate’s friendship in the prologue, which loosely
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So Sweet

How very, very sweet and gentle. I loved this tender story of reconnecting love and I loved Tate. He has to be the sweetest man ever. His devotion was demonstrated in his every thought and action. 💙
Olivia
A sweet little story and enjoyable to listen to by audio while I battled a cold :)
Sarah Grace Grzy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aww, the sweetness. RTC
Hailey Rose
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m pretty sure I will never not love something Joanne Bischof writes. :) I loved this sweet story!
Mary
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting story! Takes us back to the Virginia mountains with a hint of Blackbird mountain to it! I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet story and its unique characters. Great author with touching, heartfelt stories to tell!
Susan Snodgrass
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘He’d eat boiled potatoes a lifetime over if he could just sit across the table from Wren Cromwell.’

I adore the writing of Joanne Bischof. Her books are so heartfelt and incredibly precious. They dig down deep in your heart and stay there, warming you long after the last word you read. I highly recommend her. This one is so sweet. I loved Wren and Tate and both their hearts. Bischof's books are incredibly endearing to me.
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I think Wren had to convince herself that your bond couldn't last forever."

Sometimes the lost is simply found; on other occasions, what returns is better than what was removed. But in the interim, trust can be broken. Understandably, Wren Cromwell's belief in Tate Kennedy's childhood promises had not only waned, it had nearly expired. Four years had passed; four long years at sea for Tate, and four long years at home for Wren; without a word.

Beautifully penned, this heartfelt story of "somethi
Megan
I loved this sweet novella! Of course I always love Joanne Bischof's books. They are always filled with beautiful writing and deep themes. Ever since reading Daughters of Northern Shores I wanted to read more about Tate and what happened after he parted ways with Haakon. Needless to say I was very excited Joanne Bischof decided to write more about him and Wren! I already really liked Tate from what I saw of him in DoNS, but reading his book and learning more about him made me love him even more ...more
Phyllis
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful novella by Joanne Bischof

Something New follows in the grand tradition of all books by Joanne Bischof. You will feel the rolling of the ship in the storm; smell the wildflowers in the garden, ache with the labor of felling trees. And you will be drawn into a story full of longing and hope, written in a language which is rich and compelling.

I love Wren's innocence and sweet, gentle ways. Her love for Tate started back when they were both children and she tagged along behind him a
Andrea
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the new edition of this sweet, heart-touching novella! A story of young love, tested by time and distance. When Tate suddenly appears behind Wren, after four years at sea, the reconciliation is a bit more difficult than he expected. Wren is afraid of what will happen to her heart if he leaves again. He needs to earn her trust.
Tate isn't quite sure how to tell her his plans, he regrets he didn't mention them sooner.
I had happy tears in my eyes again as Tate showed Wren the surprise.

I
Courtney Clark
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful novella! Joanne Bischof's poetic prose-like style shines (once again!) in this short little story. Romantic in its simplicity, this story of Wren and Tate carries a bountiful message of hope, dreams longed for and realized, and the power of trust and restoration. I listened to the audio presentation of this story, and it was perfection! The Appalachian accents, the sweet moments of the story, all delivered with emotion and tenderness by the narrator, Jelyne Helms.

Many thanks to the a
Jennifer Thompson-Thalasinos
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable novella about two childhood friends, Wren and Tate, who are reunited after Tate sails away to find his fortune. Coming back after 4 years, he finds Wren grown up and skeptical about his motives. She also finds him suffering from a bad infection after getting cut by a fish hook. As Wren and her mom help him heal, Tate finds himself trying to prove to Wren that he’s ready to settle down, with her. A clean romance for teens and above.
Janine Rosche
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After getting to meet Tate in Daughters of Northern Shores and admiring his strong character, I was eager to read his story. This novella was a sweet story about young love reunited and the ways we things we do for the people who mean the most to us. It soothed my soul and reminded me how much I love Joanne Bischof and this series. My only complaint is that it ended too soon!
Dana Michael
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Precious and sweet

Something New is sweet novella about a young man who went on an adventure for a young girl who held his heart. And came home to claim hers.
Camille Eide
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely, tender little story. Looking forward to reading the Blackbird Mountain series next.
Alicia
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magical

Every book I read that Joanne writes carries me into a magical place. All of her characters come to life in personal and enchanting ways. This novella kept me hooked the whole read through.
Grace
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
At long last! We get Tate’s story! In Daughters of Northern Shores, the story wasn’t really about Tate, but I longed to see his resolved. Joanne did a good job of that with Something New.
Because of misunderstanding and miscommunication, the relationship of trust that Tate and Wren enjoyed has been largely broken down. I loved how that was reestablished through simple, everyday acts of kindness and love.
Both of these characters were so likeable, yet also humanly flawed. I couldn’t help but cheer
Britney
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've absolutely loved everything I've read by Ms. Bischof, and this is no exception! The author draws you in with her words, painting pictures in your mind and making you feel as though you are living the story. She has a beautiful way of writing, and I appreciate the heartfelt stories that I get each time I pick up one of her books. I loved Tate and Wren's story. After reading Sons of Blackbird Mountain and Daughters of Northern Shores and being introduced to Tate in those books, I was so anxio ...more
Pam
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wren and Tate met at school when they were young and became fast friends. When Wren was 15 and Tate 19, he and his brother Timothy left home to work on ships. Though Tate loved Wren, he knew she wasn't ready so he thought distance would be best. After four years of missing her, Tate returned to Virginia. Wren was heartbroken when he left without a word so she isn't ready to risk her heart again. Tate is ready to settle down now and has to prove he is trustworthy. This is a lovely addition to the ...more
Francesca Gehl
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it

A perfect read for cosy afternoons or sunny days on the beach, or simply when you need to "escape" for a while. A quick read, but moving and heartfelt. Tate, the male protagonist, is a character of exceptional character, if I can say it that way. :)

The one aspect that didn't appeal to me so much is that I found the story more idylic than realistic. However, this very well might be appealing to other readers.
Leah Good
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Get to know Tate Kennedy, best friend and blood brother to Haakon during their seafaring days.

Just as Haakon returned home to Blackbird Mountain, the time has come for Tate to return home. The difference is, he's much more eager to go back to the life he left behind. As long as the girl he left behind will take him back.

Will the promises he clumsily tried to honor years earlier when he left his hometown serve him well now?
Pat
I was so very excited to begin the story of Tate and Wren, having absolutely loved the Sons of Blackbird Mountain series. This book was everything I could’ve hoped for and more. It’s difficult to put into words the beauty of the story and how these characters truly now own a piece of my heart ...and the audible narration was absolutely perfect. This is one I will surely be sharing with my family.
Amy
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something New is a beautifully written story by Joanne Bischof. I loved Tate and Wren. They went through so much that many readers could relate to. I highly recommend this novella.
Five Stars.
I received this book from the author, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Susan Wilson
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Joanne Bischof has done it again! From the very first page until the last word, she captured my heart with this story of Tate and Wren. Hopefully, there will be a story about little brother Timothy in the future. Love and hope abounds!
Karen Jones
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

Wonderful love story about waiting for what one wants the most. A man goes off to sail on a ship that seeks and carries ice for 4 years. A girl waits for him to return. Is it worth waiting, you have to read this book to find out.
Julie Jobe
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I adored getting to know more of Tate and Wren's story. As usual with Ms. Bischof's writing, you feel like you are there experiencing what the characters are experiencing. The romance was sweet and precious and just the wonderful read.
Katie Lindsey
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved returning to the mountains. I loved this story. I LOVE this cover!
Nettie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and tender story of young love, hopes and dreams. The characters are so endearing and a beautiful story unfolds in this novella. Loved it!

• Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • The Solid Grounds Coffee Company (The Supper Club, #3)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Royally Yours
  • Evermore (The Lost Princesses, #1)
An ECPA Christy Award winner and an ACFW Carol Award winner, Joanne Bischof writes deeply layered fiction that tugs at the reader’s heartstrings. Joanne’s 2016 novel, THE LADY AND THE LIONHEART, received an extraordinary 5 Star TOP PICK! from Romantic Times Book Reviews among other critical acclaim. Joanne has a long-standing passion for romance and a budding fervor for theology. She is more and m ...more