Start by marking “Many Roads, One Journey: Moving Beyond the Twelve Steps” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Many Roads, One Journe...

Charlotte Kasl

Many Roads, One Journey: Moving Beyond the Twelve Steps

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
From the author of Women, Sex, and Addiction, a timely and controversial second look at 12-Step programs, helping all readers to draw on the steps' underlying wisdom, adapting them to their own experiences, beliefs, and sources of strength.
Published June 1st 1992 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Many Roads, One Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Roads, One Journey

Quinn
Sep 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in recovery
This book is a life saver for those of us in recovery who don't fit into the typical 12-step Alcoholics Annonymous model. Teh author validates other paths to healing and recovery and explains the problems many people face in 12-step groups. She also outlines her own more empowering steps- 16 in all- that take into account the need to explore how oppressions such as racism, sexism, and homophobia play into addiction and recovery. Completely wonderful- I only wish there were 16 step groups everywh ...more
Beth
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: therapists, sociologists
Highly reccommend this book. Kasl understands the patriarchal repression of AA and strikes out on her own in full force, after 23 years. The book speaks well for honesty in recovery, (not the norm). How to build healthy groups, acknowledgement of alternate recovery's and success, eg, Women for Sobriety, SMART Recovery, Secular Organizations for Sobriety. I consider this both a primer and a keeper.
unnarrator
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For example: Antiga's 13 Circles of Recovery

1) We believe that we are not responsible for creating the oppression that permeates our society.

2) We believe that a power outside ourselves and deep within us can restore our balance and give us wholeness.

3) We make a decision to ask for help from the Goddess and others who understand.

4) We acknowledge our beauty, strengths and weaknesses and look at the ways we have been taught to hate ourselves.

5) We acknowledge to the Goddess, to ourselves, and to
Autumn
An alternate look at not just addictions, but pathways to healing, with thoughtful critique of AA. Opens with a questioning/evaluative stance and maintains the stance "look at this and see for yourself" throughout.

An in-depth look at the 12-step Program, how elements of the Program fail to take into account social and structural issues related to "codependency," specifically looking at ways that internalized oppression looks a lot like co-dependency. "One of the tenets of Al-Anon...let me be pat
Socket Klatzker
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks with alcoholism in their community
I read this book when I was on a search to un-learn some "co-dependency" patterns and was frustrated at how AA all the literature was. Really, this book IS about Alcoholism so it did not really apply for what I was going through in the moment, but has great alternative ideas and way open approaches to healing. Recently some issues around addiction have come up in the lives of folks I love and I find it applicable and hella useful. I have gifted it to folks yearning to quit drinking, but found th ...more
Fishface
This was a good one -- even though I expected to hate it. C'mon, making the Twelve Steps into the Sixteen Steps is not an appetizing prospect. But it turned out to be a very positive read, focused on social justice, inclusiveness extended to both sexes and all the shades of brown as well as non-monotheistic belief systems. But she cheesed me off completely by making the usual mistake of confusing "dependency" and "co-dependency." Am I the only one on the face of the green earth that knows the di ...more
Monica
Sep 25, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
so far i am learning a lot. mostly i just don't understand how there are so many recovery people in this town and so many are "progressive" and no one has started a 16 step group yet. hmmm. stay tuned...
i really appreciate the point of view that this book takes with 12 step work as being not acknowledging of many people's experience and needs.
Shirley
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many step programs now for so many issues...it was great to see them all researched and to get the feminine perspective....this work is amazing...but again comes from one woman's years of learning, experience and perspectives...still a great book.
Jean
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kasl’s reframing/rewriting of the steps is useful and still timely although some aspects of the book, including some of the non-AA groups mentioned, was a little 1990s. This was written before SMART recovery and other groups, for example, and the LGBTQ movement has advanced a bit since the book was published. Of course, patriarchy is still a”thing”, and her discussion of how childhood abuse of all kinds intersects with addiction and recovery was extremely well done and helpful. Kasl’s understand ...more
Sandy
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was difficult to get into at first, I continued reading and it grabbed hold of me about 1/4 of the way through. I learned so much, was inspired to stop drinking and found that even though I don't consider myself alcohol-dependent, my life has become more content, energetic and alert. I really liked her stages of faithing also. Highly recommend to everyone!
Gene
Release from the bondage of a self imposed wannabe definition of self. To be as I am rather than some false unrealistic projection of how I wish to be perceived.
Cris
Aug 21, 2011
J.J. Johnson
Jun 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charlotte Sophia Kasl, PhD, is a U.S. psychologist and author.

She pioneered the 16-Steps for Discovery and Empowerment as an alternative to the Twelve-step program for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioral problems.

She wrote several books based on some aspects of Sufi, Quaker, and Buddhist spiritual beliefs and traditions.

More about Charlotte Kasl...