Start by marking “The Big Lie (Jack Swyteck #16)” as Want to Read:
The Big Lie (Jack Swyteck #16)

The Big Lie

(Jack Swyteck #16)

As the Electoral College battle for the White House lands in a Florida courtroom, Miami attorney Jack Swyteck has never felt farther from the truth, fighting for a faithless elector, caught between a corrupt president and his manipulative opponentwith each revelation more explosive than the next.

The country is reeling. For the sixth time in American history, the winner of
Published February 25th 2020 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Big Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Lie

Start your review of The Big Lie (Jack Swyteck #16)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book! I have been a fan of James Grippando's work for a long time. I haven't read all of his books yet but I have read the majority of them. I have found his books to be consistently good and I look forward to each new release. I had a great time with this book from beginning to end.

I did want to mention that this story is a political one. I tend to go into books blindly if it is at all possible so I was a little
Carla Johnson-Hicks
4.5 Stars. James Grippando has a knack of writing political/legal thrillers that are quite timely. This book is no exception. With the sitting president on the verge of being impeached, the election is on. The Democrat candidate is accepting the nomination when it hits the news that his marriage is breaking up as he was caught with someone else. The innuendo is that he is gay and that gives the president the ammunition he needs to run his smear campaign. When the Democrats with the popular vote ...more
Karen Wegman
Mar 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ouch!! Boy did I get burned!! Up until "The Big Lie" I have loved ALL of Grippando's books. I put down finished because I am finished! Cannot waste one moment more on this book. I will never pre order another of his books and that is a shame. If I want to read about politics I will read the newspaper. Shame, shame James Grippando.
Does not even deserve one star....really would like my money back. There are too many really good books out there to waste time reading "junk".
Michael Raymond
I've been a huge Grippando/Swyteck fan for many years. Over that time I have read (audio books) and thoroughly enjoyed most of their books. To put it in Swyteck's legal jargon, "I strongly object to this subject". The current President is clearly a satirical representation of our current President. For a while I thought I was listening to a SNL sketch with that no-talent Baldwin. I have read many novels about sitting (fictional) Presidents. They are just that-fictional. Not satirical ...more
Sheldon
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winner! Winner! Winner! Do you think I enjoyed this thriller? It is a winner!!!
Mark Melum
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Triggered

Nothing more than a sad political statement. I enjoyed these books until the apparent need to make everything these days political.
Joan
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The man who won the popular vote will not become president thanks to the incumbents slim Electoral College victory. But when Charlotte Holmes, one of Floridas electors, announces her intention to vote her conscience rather than vote for the candidate that won Floridas popular vote, that leaves the corrupt sitting president and an unscrupulous Florida senator fighting for the White House.

When the president has felony charges brought against the gun lobbyist, Jack Swyteck steps up to
S Vanorse
Mar 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With the country the way it is today, with the government that runs it, being an election year, I want to open a book and forget for just a little while. Not so with Grippando's newest book, his dislike of our supreme leader is clear but I do not want to read a fictionalized version of it. I want to be taken away, can't put this book down, not dread picking it up and finishing it, but sadly I did.
Cindy
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first must say that I'm a huge Grippando fan. Secondly, I have always enjoyed Swyteck and all that comes with him. Sadly, this just didn't measure up to his previous books. I listened to the audio and it all just felt like a jumbled mess. It jumped around and I found it difficult to follow who each of the characters were. It was way too political...there is always a place for a political frame in a book that has politics as a part of it, but when the narrator of the audio attempts to sound ...more
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
It's nearly impossible to get away from all of the news coverage surrounding the 2020 presidential election. We are coming off of the impeachment trial against President Trump and are now embroiled in the battle for the Democratic nomination. All of this is great fodder and extremely timely for legal thriller author James Grippando. Known primarily for his Jack Swyteck series set in southern Florida, Grippando takes on the madness of the upcoming election with his latest novel, THE BIG LIE.

Jenna
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Because i work in government affairs I found the subject matter of this book interesting.
The story in the book revolved around an election where one candidate tweeted stupid statements (sound familiar?) and where another candidate won the popular vote but can't win the electoral. (again familiar?)
In this story, Florida is a strategic state and one of the members of the electoral college may not vote with the rest of the party. So the state sues her & Jack is her lawyer.

That's one
Donnap
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ladylike James Grippando books, this was. No different. I like a book with twists and turns and suspense. This book had it all and a surprise twist at the end! I don't care for politics, and this book sum it up!
Sharon Smith
Mar 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trite
Rick Molitor
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good thriller that captures the political climate of today. It is a great story which unfortunately accurately captures the heart of American politics today. This is a very entertaining read that is very well written.
Lauri
Mar 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I hear enough politics in the news. Do not need it in the books I read. DNF after reading some reviews. Very disappointed in Grippando.
Judy Stevenson
Very disappointed in this book. Way too much slant on today's political agenda against President Trump. Not at all a coincident.
kathy dooley
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Headlines

Cropland took today's headlines and tried to make a story. He failed. Charlotte is one of the dumbest characters I've read. The caricature of President Trump is ludicrous. And Jack can't get out of his own way. Sorry I wasted my money
Ray Palen
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nearly impossible to get away from all of the news coverage surrounding the 2020 Presidential election. We are coming off of the impeachment case against President Trump and now are embroiled in the battle for the Democratic Presidential nomination to find someone to run up against the incumbent President Donald Trump. All of this is great fodder and extremely timely for legal thriller author James Grippando. Known primarily for his Jack Swyteck series set in southern Florida, Grippando ...more
Elizabeth Du
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right out of today's headlines

I've followed Jack Swyteck since Grippando introduced us to him in The Pardon twenty five years ago. Each adventure has made me more entranced with Jack, his friend Theo and the more recent addition of his wife Andie,anFBI agent and his daughter. I missed his Cuban grandmother who didn't make an appearance in The Big Lie.
The plot in this story was dragged right from the headlines of today's newspaper. Living in the reality of a President elected without the popular
Jud Hanson
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its time for another Presidential election. A widely-supported, if controversial, incumbent is facing off against a younger, more liberal opponent. As has happened before too many times, the popular vote winner appears to be on the losing end. The final result wont be known until the Electoral College meets. However, the votes of the electors are governed by a myriad of laws, allowing for the possibility of faithless electors. One such elector has just surfaced in Florida and hires Jack Swytek ...more
skip thurnauer
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grippando wraps The Big Lie a around timely and controversial subject - whether electoral college electors must vote for the winner of their state's popular vote. About half the states currently have laws requiring electors to vote for the candidate who wins the popular election. In January, the Supreme Court agreed to hear a case dealing with "faithless" electors. In The Big Lie, only a handful of electors would have to change their votes to flip the outcome of the presidential election. ...more
Kathy
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Big Lie by James Grippando is a tense legal thriller with an incredibly topical storyline.  Although this sixteenth installment in the Jack Swyteck series can be read as standalone, I HIGHLY recommend the previous novels as well.

Opening on election night with current President Malcolm MacLeod winning the electoral college but not the popular vote, the election soon takes a surprising turn. Democratic candidate, FL Senator Evan Stahl Jr., decides not to concede defeat in hopes of
Kathleen Gray
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Given that the political season is upon us and the airwaves are filled with political ads, I almost put this one completely aside. Had I done so I would have missed a nifty little thriller mystery that actually uses the Electoral College as a plot device. Charlotte declares that she will vote her conscience when it comes time to certify either incumbent President Malcolm McLeod or the winner of the popular vote Senator Evan Stahl. She's got some secrets though, all of which are about to come ...more
Naomi
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The author put today's political news into this novel. Especially including the president, his antics, his tweets and possible double dealings. I am so sick of all this crap in the media I wasn't prepared to read it in a story by an author that I like. Having said that the plot concerning a Florida elector for the coming election vote was the center of the novel. She was a Republican voting elector and had decide to change her vote to a Democratic candidate. She announced this and it put her ...more
Debra
James Grippando writes legal thrillers, tied into current events. This time the current event is a bitterly fought presidential election, the electoral college, faithless electors, and abuse of power. If this sounds too familiar, there may be a reason. Attorney Swytek is independent, but the novel's plot is aimed at Democrats.

I listened to the audiobook. The narrator, Jonathan Davis' rendition of President McCourt's tweets (hashtag: nutcase) uses Trump's intonation only too realistically.

The
John Tucci
I received an advanced copy as part of a Goodreads give away. Thank you for the opportunity to read the book and offer my opinion. I have read other books by James Grippando and like him. His style is similar to John Grisham. Rather than the familiar murder courtroom thriller, this is a novel election courtroom thriller. It has the Law and Order "ripped from the headlines" feel except it's an imagining of the future 2020 General Election. It's a clever premise and an enjoyable read.
Lovely Loveday
The Big Lie is the sixteenth book in the Jack Swyteck series by James Grippando. A captivating read full of mystery and intriguing that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The characters are vivid and real with secrets in their past that need to stay hidden. As the truth comes to light the thread starts to unravel and the walls come tumbling down. A story that will keep you second-guessing until the very end!
Julie
This was my first Jack Swyteck story and while I did enjoy his share of it all, I did not find the others quite as interesting. The battle for the presidency between incumbent MacLeod and challenger, Sen Stahl is rife with Electoral college hijinks, murder, and everyday thugs all fed by ruthless ambition...perhaps a little too close to reality. I would try another one because I did enjoy meeting Jack's character but the rest of them were a little shaky for me.
Devin Drennen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a Goodreads Giveaway win. I was nervous about reading this book because Im not really into politics and thought it was going to be very heavy with politics. It was political but it was written in a way that everyone can understand and enjoy. I felt the ending was rushed but still enjoyed the book ...more
Suzanne
I'm very disappointed in this book. I have been a avid reader of Mr. Grippando's novels - always excited when I see a new book coming out. To bring politics into this book in such a snide, unpleasant way was totally inappropriate. It's your book and you have the right to write as you choose, but I also have the right to close the book and be cautious of any of your future books!

• House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Salt River (Doc Ford Mystery #26)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The Third to Die
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • A Dog's Promise (A Dog's Purpose, #3)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer cluelessso says his wife, Tiffany, after A James Grippando Novel was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the winner of the Harper Lee Prize for legal fiction and a New York Times bestselling author of 28 novels of suspense, including the popular series featuring ...more

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born to Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck, #10)