Start by marking “Mercy in a Red Cloak” as Want to Read:
Mercy in a Red Cloak

Mercy in a Red Cloak

Famed colonial scout, Shadrach Clark, is sought out in the Straits of Mackinac, when he has gone missing. His dear friend, Mercy, whose circuit-rider father is also missing, joins in the search. Set during the time of Pontiac's War, can love still blossom?
Published June 3rd 2019 by Hearts Overcoming Press

To ask other readers questions about Mercy in a Red Cloak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy in a Red Cloak

Caryl
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak is another amazing story by Ms. Pagels! I was swept away to the frontier of the Straits of Mackinac. Mercy, the daughter of a Circuit Rider, possesses amazing courage and strength. Shadrach is a highly skilled scout. Their courtship is wrought with danger and times of separation. I so appreciate the spiritual truths woven into this story. This novella is a beautiful tribute to those who endured the harsh frontier life. I highly recommend this novella.

I received this novella
Anne
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie Fancett Pagels is an award-winning author with an obvious love of history. With Pontiac’s War as historical background, Mercy in a Red Cloak offers readers a glimpse into the hardships and challenges of the wild frontier with only mild danger described. Any reader who has read Pagels’ works knows that you won’t find gruesome details or gory scenes even though war is like that. The author shows convincing scenes can be written without all that and still draw a reader in with colorful descr ...more
Andrea
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy and Shad!

This is a sweet, enjoyable novella, set in a time of turmoil. Mercy is a woman who has taken care of her father and their home for the last decade, "robbing her of the opportunity of beginning her life of her own."
Shad has been widowed for more than a year. He is drawn to Mercy more and more. Could she possibly have feelings for him? What kind of life could he offer her?
The adventure begins when Mercy sets out with Colonel Christy and his son William to find her father who has bee
Bonny Rambarran
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story. A young woman on the frontier . . . .a father who is a missionary and OFTEN leaves her alone. A young man who befriends her . . . and gives her a red cloak. And then the father disappears. And so doe the young man. HELP. Mercy need help!!!
Betti
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
The year is 1753, the French are slowly being pushed north by the British. The various native tribes have interacted very well with the French and some of them are very unhappy with the change in trading partners. Shad, a scout, has been searching for his family and while not finding them, he stumbles upon friends in Mercy and her circuit-riding father. With the political climate becoming increasingly unsettled, warnings are given at the various forts. Will the red cloak given as a gift for Merc ...more
Kathleen L. Maher
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak Has everything I love about historical fiction and romance. Once again, gifted award winning writer Carrie Fancett Pagels Crafts wonderful historical detail And characters That capture the heart.

Mercy Clarke is the daughter of a circuit preacher in the 18th Century Pennsylvania frontier. She is a hard-working and honorable young lady who sacrifices her own interests for her father. British scout Shadrach Clark comes to their homestead seeking them for family he believes he
Anne Rightler
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy in a Red Cloak by Award-winning historical romance author Carrie Fancett Pagels is a delightful novella set in Michigan during the mid-1700s. It is a turbulent time in Michigan’s history with the French and the English vying for the territory that is inhabited by Native Americans. Pagels does a great job bringing to life the history of this time. The book is a sweet romantic read with lots of interesting characters—Mercy, a young woman who has been caring for her father’s home since her mo ...more
Kay M
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak is a lovely, but exciting story of love, commitment and faith set primarily in the unsettled beauty of the Straits of Mackinac, in Michigan, during the final years of the French and Indian War. This complex novella incorporates elements of the life and attitudes of native tribes in that area, which add color and intrigue to the story.

I really enjoyed this exciting and perilous romantic adventure. I love the characters, especially Mercy, who is quite a courageous and determi
Andrea Byers
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is set in the mid 1700’s. We meet Mercy and her father Jonathan, Shad, Colonel Christy and his son William. Shad makes acquaintance with Mercy and her father through a mistaken identity which is the start of a new friendship with the family. The Christy’s embark on a journey north and Mercy begs them to take her. Most of the story is set in the Michigan peninsula area whether in forts or in or near Indian encampments. Notes at the beginning of the book give great insight into the time ...more
Debbie Mitchell
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful Story

Ms. Pagels never disappoints. Mercy in a Red Cloak is a fast-paced read that flows from chapter to chapter. I was so enthralled with it, I finished it in little over an hour. Mercy is such a great character, as is Shad. Their story has a lot of heart and takes you on an adventure that you will not soon forget. Even though this is a novella, once you've finished reading it, it feels like you've absorbed a novel's length of storyline. I highly recommend this book.

I was given a cop
Sunnie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet novella length book with action, faith and history all rolled in. The story takes place in Michigan at the time of the ending of the French and Indian War in the 1700's. It has some mystery as we contemplate where Mercy's father and good friend and scout, Shad, suddenly disappear and Mercy sets out to find them. She's a very brave women during some very trying and difficult times.

It was a fun and even educational read. I really enjoyed it!

I received an ebook copy of this book fro
Becky Dempsey
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Quick Read

I enjoyed reading this story. Being from Michigan, it is always fun to read books set here. I have been to Fort Michillimackinac several times as well as the Island. It was fun to read about what life was like there. I actually have an ancestor that was born on Mackinac Island who talked about the Native Americans who would walk by and do trading. I like the tie ins with some of Carrie Fancett Pagels other books.
Linda Palmer
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed this story about Mercy and Shad. The story is set in a historic time of conflict with French and English interests in Michigan, and distrust from the Indian tribes. A great book for history lovers.
I received this book free with a promise to review it. All opinions are my own.
Jennifer Forbes
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Henderson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mesmerizing story filled with interesting characters and great descriptions. From the first page, I was right there and experiencing everything from the sights and smells to the conversation. Great story.
Deanna Stevens
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
An interesting story of friendship, family and the struggles of Colonial times. I do enjoy the history she weaves through out this story.
Carrie Pagels
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Joy Ellis
Lynn Lasley
Terry Felix
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2019
Carrie Fancett Pagels is an ECPA bestselling and award-winning author of Christian historical romance. Twenty-five years as a psychologist didn't "cure" her overactive imagination! She resides with her family in the Historic Triangle of Virginia, which is perfect for her love of history. Carrie loves to read, bake, bead, and travel – but not all at the same time!