Start by marking “Mercy in a Red Cloak” as Want to Read:
Mercy in a Red Cloak

Mercy in a Red Cloak

Famed colonial scout, Shadrach Clark, is sought out in the Straits of Mackinac, when he has gone missing. His dear friend, Mercy, whose circuit-rider father is also missing, joins in the search. Set during the time of Pontiac's War, can love still blossom? ...more
Published June 3rd 2019 by Hearts Overcoming Press

To ask other readers questions about Mercy in a Red Cloak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy in a Red Cloak

Start your review of Mercy in a Red Cloak
Caryl
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak is another amazing story by Ms. Pagels! I was swept away to the frontier of the Straits of Mackinac. Mercy, the daughter of a Circuit Rider, possesses amazing courage and strength. Shadrach is a highly skilled scout. Their courtship is wrought with danger and times of separation. I so appreciate the spiritual truths woven into this story. This novella is a beautiful tribute to those who endured the harsh frontier life. I highly recommend this novella.

I received this novella
Anne
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie Fancett Pagels is an award-winning author with an obvious love of history. With Pontiac’s War as historical background, Mercy in a Red Cloak offers readers a glimpse into the hardships and challenges of the wild frontier with only mild danger described. Any reader who has read Pagels’ works knows that you won’t find gruesome details or gory scenes even though war is like that. The author shows convincing scenes can be written without all that and still draw a reader in with colorful descr ...more
Andrea
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy and Shad!

This is a sweet, enjoyable novella, set in a time of turmoil. Mercy is a woman who has taken care of her father and their home for the last decade, "robbing her of the opportunity of beginning her life of her own."
Shad has been widowed for more than a year. He is drawn to Mercy more and more. Could she possibly have feelings for him? What kind of life could he offer her?
The adventure begins when Mercy sets out with Colonel Christy and his son William to find her father who has bee
Betti
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
The year is 1753, the French are slowly being pushed north by the British. The various native tribes have interacted very well with the French and some of them are very unhappy with the change in trading partners. Shad, a scout, has been searching for his family and while not finding them, he stumbles upon friends in Mercy and her circuit-riding father. With the political climate becoming increasingly unsettled, warnings are given at the various forts. Will the red cloak given as a gift for Merc ...more
Kathleen L. L.
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak Has everything I love about historical fiction and romance. Once again, gifted award winning writer Carrie Fancett Pagels Crafts wonderful historical detail And characters That capture the heart.

Mercy Clarke is the daughter of a circuit preacher in the 18th Century Pennsylvania frontier. She is a hard-working and honorable young lady who sacrifices her own interests for her father. British scout Shadrach Clark comes to their homestead seeking them for family he believes he
Anne Rightler
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy in a Red Cloak by Award-winning historical romance author Carrie Fancett Pagels is a delightful novella set in Michigan during the mid-1700s. It is a turbulent time in Michigan’s history with the French and the English vying for the territory that is inhabited by Native Americans. Pagels does a great job bringing to life the history of this time. The book is a sweet romantic read with lots of interesting characters—Mercy, a young woman who has been caring for her father’s home since her mo ...more
Kay
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy in a Red Cloak is a lovely, but exciting story of love, commitment and faith set primarily in the unsettled beauty of the Straits of Mackinac, in Michigan, during the final years of the French and Indian War. This complex novella incorporates elements of the life and attitudes of native tribes in that area, which add color and intrigue to the story.

I really enjoyed this exciting and perilous romantic adventure. I love the characters, especially Mercy, who is quite a courageous and determi
Connie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mercy In A Red Cloak by Carrie Fancett Pagels.

This book is full of historical facts from 1753. It deals with Mercy, a circuit rider’s daughter and Shad a colonial scout. Their romance develops through time and turmoil.

A well written shorter book dealing with troubles of the era: French, British and native tribes.
Andrea Selaty
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The premise was good and the story could have been amazing, but it was choppy with missing details and then quick resolutions. I feel a little cheated like I missed out on much of the story.
Tina
Shelves: own, e-pdf-adr, audio
Mercy in a Red Cloak by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Mercy Clarke is the daughter of a circuit-rider preacher in 1700’s Pennsylvania frontier. She is a woman of faith, hard-working, strong courageous woman and honorable. She often sacrifices much of her own interests for her father, Jonathan, and is often left alone as he performs his circuit-rider duties. I admire her strength and courage as she is often alone on the frontier; I don’t know if I would have handled it as well.

Shadrach Clark is a handsom
Bonny Rambarran
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story. A young woman on the frontier . . . .a father who is a missionary and OFTEN leaves her alone. A young man who befriends her . . . and gives her a red cloak. And then the father disappears. And so doe the young man. HELP. Mercy need help!!!
Stacey Ulferts
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook version and it captured my attention from the start. I had tried audiobooks before but had never been able to finish. This one turned me into a fan. The story was captivating and the characters were very likeable. I only wish the story had been longer!
Jasmine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has she lost all? Or will she find it in the Straits of Mackinac?

I'm almost embarrassed at how long it's been since I last listened to an audiobook, we'll just leave it at it's been too long. But, what a perfect story to start back into listening to audiobooks! Mercy In A Red Cloak is a charming historical novel set in the 1760s. It's a sweet romance punctuated with moments of danger, there's even a touch of mystery. The characters are the kind that you can't help but like, though they are far f
Paula Shreckhise
Mercy in a Red Cloak is a historical book by Carrie Fancett Pagels and takes place in the mid 1700’s near Mackinac Island and in the Michigan wilderness.
I once visited Mackinac Island, so I eagerly read any story associated with the Island.
Carrie Fancett Pagels loves to tell stories in this setting. I have enjoyed them all. She tempts us with the rich history of Fort Michilimackinac and a romance between a renowned scout, Shadrach Clark and a pastor’s daughter Rachel Mercy Clarke. They meet wh
Andrea Byers
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is set in the mid 1700’s. We meet Mercy and her father Jonathan, Shad, Colonel Christy and his son William. Shad makes acquaintance with Mercy and her father through a mistaken identity which is the start of a new friendship with the family. The Christy’s embark on a journey north and Mercy begs them to take her. Most of the story is set in the Michigan peninsula area whether in forts or in or near Indian encampments. Notes at the beginning of the book give great insight into the time ...more
Brenda
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational Historical Romance! A very interesting story that’s short but packed full of history and romance. I took my time reading this book and tried to remember and enjoy each detail. The characters were multifaceted and captured me from the beginning. Mercy was such a strong person that took care of her and her father’s home while he was making his rounds preaching even though it was a land of unrest at that time. Shadrach being a scout gave us good insight to the frontier life. I love th ...more
Kim  Gregory
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shadrach Clark thought he had found is father and sister; but Pastor Jon Clarke and Rachel just weren't them. His father, Pastor John Clark and his sister Rachel, and his mother Anne were supposed to have followed him and his Uncle and Aunt to America, but he never found them. His family had become an Indian tribe after his step-uncle (a vicious man) and his aunt died.

Rachel and her father lived in a stone house in a small town. Shad became a family friend after he found them, thinking they wer
Sally
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy, mercy how I enjoyed this novella!
Mercy in a Red Cloak is a historical yet fiction account of Mercy and Shadrach, how they met and how he disappeared as well as her circuit-rider father, for whom she cared for a long time since she lost her mother. This takes place in the mid-1700's and times were very hard with the many wars occurring and not knowing who to trust.
Shad lost his family and spent years trying to find them which led him to be a scout. He had lost so many loved ones, he was
Michelle
Mercy in a Red Cloak is an inspirational historical romance novella by author Carrie Fancett Pagels.

The setting is the Pennsylvania frontier ~ 1762. Mercy Clarke is the daughter of a circuit rider pastor who becomes a love interest of widowed Shadrach Clark.

This novella had me reading a genre I don’t normally read. And even though parts of it were a challenge I enjoyed reading about the Straits of Mackinac & the developing love interest between Mercy and Shadrach.

I believe fans of inspirational
Lucy
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a quick read full of history and warm romance then look no farther. Ms Pagels is an accomplished author who draws you into the story and leaves you wishing it was longer. I can picture Mercy in that beautiful red cloak with the rain or snow hitting her face from the descriptions. Mercy is a strong woman with lots of responsibilities and she handles everything with dignity and her faith. I throughly enjoyed how she came into Shadrach’s life and the adventures they ensued. R ...more
Debbie Mitchell
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful Story

Ms. Pagels never disappoints. Mercy in a Red Cloak is a fast-paced read that flows from chapter to chapter. I was so enthralled with it, I finished it in little over an hour. Mercy is such a great character, as is Shad. Their story has a lot of heart and takes you on an adventure that you will not soon forget. Even though this is a novella, once you've finished reading it, it feels like you've absorbed a novel's length of storyline. I highly recommend this book.

I was given a cop
Sunnie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet novella length book with action, faith and history all rolled in. The story takes place in Michigan at the time of the ending of the French and Indian War in the 1700's. It has some mystery as we contemplate where Mercy's father and good friend and scout, Shad, suddenly disappear and Mercy sets out to find them. She's a very brave women during some very trying and difficult times.

It was a fun and even educational read. I really enjoyed it!

I received an ebook copy of this book fro
Becky Dempsey
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Quick Read

I enjoyed reading this story. Being from Michigan, it is always fun to read books set here. I have been to Fort Michillimackinac several times as well as the Island. It was fun to read about what life was like there. I actually have an ancestor that was born on Mackinac Island who talked about the Native Americans who would walk by and do trading. I like the tie ins with some of Carrie Fancett Pagels other books.
Robin
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful Historical plus love story set at the end of the French-Indian wars. Strong women and fierce men people this super story. This author's books are always a real treat, especially since you don't have to worry about any bad language or inappropriate scenes. Acknowledgement of God being in control is always evident. Highly recommend. I received an advance reader copy from the author. Opinions are my own. ...more
Susan
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. Pagels is a great story teller and she did it again with this book. I loved Shad and Mercy and their story. I am sure when Mercy set out with the Cristy’s to look for Shad and her father, she didn’t expect all she would encounter, but she showed how strong a person she was. I liked how Shad learned to depend on God again. There was a lot of history woven in there, which I liked, since I am not as familiar with that part of our nation’s early history. I would recommend this book.
Linda Palmer
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed this story about Mercy and Shad. The story is set in a historic time of conflict with French and English interests in Michigan, and distrust from the Indian tribes. A great book for history lovers.
I received this book free with a promise to review it. All opinions are my own.
Melissa Henderson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mesmerizing story filled with interesting characters and great descriptions. From the first page, I was right there and experiencing everything from the sights and smells to the conversation. Great story.
Jennifer Forbes
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The narrator did a wonderful job with the story. the story itself felt like it was missing prices and like it was connected so much to other books that it didn't stand on its own. However, it was sweet and I would try another book by this author. ...more
Wilani Wahl
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and found it difficult to put down. This was well written. I can't wait to read her next book. ...more

• Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Yellow Lantern (True Colors)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • The Pink Bonnet (True Colors)
  • This Healing Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #7)
  • When I Meet You (Tree of Life #3)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The Thief of Blackfriars Lane
Carrie Fancett Pagels is an ECPA bestselling and award-winning author of Christian historical romance. Twenty-five years as a psychologist didn't "cure" her overactive imagination! She resides with her family in the Historic Triangle of Virginia, which is perfect for her love of history. Carrie loves to read, bake, bead, and travel – but not all at the same time! ...more

News & Interviews