Start by marking “Women” as Want to Read:
Women

Women

The photographs by Annie Leibovitz in Women, taken especially for the book, encompass a broad spectrum of subjects: a rap artist, an astronaut, two Supreme Court justices, farmers, coal miners, movie stars, showgirls, rodeo riders, socialites, reporters, dancers, a maid, a general, a surgeon, the First Lady of the United States, the secretary of state, a senator, rock ...more
Published October 17th 2000 by Random House (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women

Start your review of Women
David Schaafsma
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, photography
I recently reviewed Lauren Greenfield's 2017 collection of photographs focusing on a range of girls in contemporary American society:

It's not all-inclusive, of course, but it reveals a range of what it might mean to be a "girl" now.

Celebrity (in two senses) photographer Annie Leibowitz in 1999 compiled a collection of photographs of women (and some girls) in 1999 to some fanfare. With an essay by Susan Sontag. I read it when it came out. It bears some
Zanna
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism
In advanced consumer societies, these 'narcissistic' values are more and more the concern of men as well. But male primping never loosens the lock on initiative taking. Indeed, glorying in one's appearance is an ancient warrior's pleasure, an expression of power, an instrument of dominance.
Sontag's essay for this book moves restlessly over the surface of its subject, opening cans of worms and leaving them to wriggle uncomfortably into our consciousness, leaving a impression of something
Kate
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the internally and externally feminine
Jessica
Nov 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: library
There's this part where, in her essay, Susan Sontag says: "In many countries struggling with failed or discredited attempts to modernize, there are more and more covered women." I made this face and then flipped through the book and found only one girl wearing a niqab, and that was it. Out of 240 pages...

Other than that, the essay wasn't something I hadn't read before somewhere else, but I really liked this paragraph:

"I do this, I endure this, I want this . . . because I am a woman. I do
Mark
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Checked this out to read Sontag's essay and compare it to her comments on the writers of essays in photography books that she made in "On Photography."

I would say that Sontag's essay was disappointing but it was pretty much typical Sontag so I guess that would be redundant. The essay was mostly a whinge about the patriarchy and how women have been kept down and so on. While these are certainly extremely important topics, they have been covered far better in many other places. Heck, I would even
Zöe Yu
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I checked out this book for Susan Sontag's essay, but it feels like superficial. I like all the issues she mentioned in the essay, but it seems itself as a bigot.

Also, the design of the book I don't like it. Because not all the name tags are under the photographs, so I have to look for which one fits which photograph. Very annoying.
Catarina Lobo
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
SS: women’s libidinousness is always being repressed or held against them.
Powells.com
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Annie Leibovitz got her start at Rolling Stone in the early seventies. There she made a name for herself and produced some of the publication's most well-known photographs, including the famous shot of a naked John Lennon wrapping himself around a fully clothed Yoko Ono. She went on to become the chief photographer for Vanity Fair, and has been exhibited in scores of art galleries, including the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

Leibovitz's style appears comfortable and ingenuous, to
Gineke
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's the second book of works from Annie Leibovitz that I've read, and I must say I enjoyed this book a lot more than Pilgrimage. Annie Leibovitz is great at portrait photography. She's most known for her celebrity photographs, but I must say that her portraits of regular Americans touched me a lot more.

You can see the dedication in the eyes of the subjects, so can read their strive and laughter in their wrinkles, and they just feel real. Those photographs made me feel like
Shelly Jenkins
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Annie Leibovitz's photography is amazing. She has an incredible eye and her talent is off the charts. The collection of photographs were very interesting to look through. I was disappointed that they weren't more of her popular stuff. I was expecting some of her iconic photos. And there was way more nudity than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting any and there was quite a bit. I had to keep it away from my kids who were big-eyed when they peeked over my shoulder.
darrienmichael
May 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the woman's mystique.
Leibovitz, as usual, produces memorable images while Sontag provides the words. Although, it is just as easy to provide your own words and put Sontag's aside. That is part of the beauty of the book. Oh, and it looks great on my coffee table. The book is a true celebration of women and their multifaceted complexity. Or you can just look at all the nice pictures.
Photokitten
Annie Lebowitz is an amazing photographer. Her art is so moving and compelling, however I feel that many of the images in this book appear to be more contrived than her usual portrails....beautiful just not a MUST HAVE
Avory
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender
I didn't read the essay, but I did look at all the photographs. I thought they were gorgeous, and I loved the juxtapositions. I especially liked the showgirls where they were shown in and out of costume. This is a great book to have on the coffee table when you need a little inspiration.
Jacques Willems
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
If you like Annie Leibobitz' Photography this is a must have.
Beautiful collection of extraordinary portrets from a variety of women of all classes.
Lea
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I got a signed copy for christmas after seeing an Annie Leibovits show in Columbus right before. What an awesome gift! Thanks Chris!
Martyn
4/5 for the beautiful photography. Minus several million for the turgid and contradictory essay by Sontag that sought to both praise and undermine the project.
Ellen
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Awesome pictures by Annie Liebovitz and essay by Susan Sontag on women and their portrayal in media and society.
Ashley-Marie
Beautiful photographs and a very thought provoting essay from the late Susan Sontag. Very nice read/look through
Maria Wheeler
Interesting look at women-especially the two depictions (real life vs. night life) of Vegas showgirls.
Fai Ahmed
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Imagine a book of pictures of women in which none of the women could be identified as beautiful. Wouldn't we feel that the photographer had made some kind of mistake? Was being mean-spirited? Misogynistic? Was depriving us of something that we had a right to see? No one would say the same thing of a book of portraits of men?
There were always several kinds of beauty; imperious beauty, voluptuous beauty, beauty signifying the character traits that fitted a woman for the confines of genteel
Charity
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read/viewed. It's difficult for me to even find words to describe the way Leibovitz captures the complex beauty of a widely representative, diverse set of women.

The photos I was most drawn to were of Vegas showgirls. There were these stunning pictures of different showgirls dressed in extravagant, bright, over-the top, gargantuan peacock-feathered costumes, while they themselves were adorned with heavy, dramatic stage make-up. Leibovitz also
Gift
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I had no idea who Annie Leibovitz was until she started a revolution by Pirelli Calender. Her book Women is what I have expected it to be: calm, complex and full of beautiful pictures. I was a bit irritated by some of the picture descriptions (you had to skip through a couple of pages until you found the right one) but I think that I understand the reason for it. It is an extraordinary and fascinating collection of American women in authentic environment.

I was confused by
Paul Baker
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This is a beautiful, extraordinary collection of photographs by Annie Leibovitz, with comments by Susan Sontag. Old and young, famous and unknown, glamorous and work-a-day, wealthy and poor, this book celebrates women from all walks of life.

The photography is truly amazing and it is easy to linger over photos wondering just how the photographer ever managed to tease just the right expression from all her subjects.

The simply marvelous book is recommended to all readers.
Robin_R
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The photographs were amazing. I love Annie Leibovitz’s work. But I also really enjoyed the essay that was written by Susan Sontag for this book. It was called “A Photograph is Not an Opinion. or Is It?”
Bi__y__g
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great photos collection. It would be better if Sontag's essay be put to the last section (or even be removed).
Shawn  Aebi
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Powerful portraits of a wide range of women, some well known, some not. With its release it reminds us that women are capable of pretty much anything.
Callie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I. LOVE. THIS. WOMAN'S. PHOTOGRAPHS.
Chloe
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Annie Leibovitz’s photography, but I thought there were some issues with Susan Sontag’s essay.
Fromwordstoworlds
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Women is the result of an intelligent collaboration between two exceptional women, a collection of more than 100 individual portraits which put together demonstrate that when taking initiative women can fight stereotypes and redefine their place in society.
Annie Leibovitz is known for her celebrity photographs in the United States and nobody questions her talent. As Sontag said in her introductory essay of the book, the world has a great appetite for images, so the two used this photographic
Stephanie
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photograph-books
I've read this book before but I checked it out again after seeing Annie Leibovitz lecture at Benaroya Hall. The diversity of women portrayed is an essay without words. Famous celebrities next to unknown artists. Rich and powerful women next to poor uninfluential women. Susan Sontag adds mini bios of each portrait at then end of the book. I didn't realize that Leibovitz and Sontag were together until I watched the new documentary, Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens (excellent). They are truly ...more

• The Complete Untitled Film Stills
  • Tulsa
  • Uncommon Places: The Complete Works
  • The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography
  • Richard Avedon Portraits
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • Nan Goldin: The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Street Photographer
  • Portraits
  • Street Photography Now
Anna-Lou "Annie" Leibovitz is an American portrait photographer whose style is marked by a close collaboration between the photographer and the subject.

Born in Waterbury, Connecticut, Leibovitz is the third of six children in a Jewish family. Her mother was a modern dance instructor, while her father was a lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force. The family moved frequently with her