Start by marking “A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin Henry Miller, 1932-1953” as Want to Read:
A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin  Henry Miller, 1932-1953

A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin Henry Miller, 1932-1953

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,828 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The intimacy between Nin and Miller, first disclosed in Henry and June, is documented further in this impassioned exchange of letters between the two controversial writers. Edited and with an Introduction by Gunther Stuhlmann; Index.
Published April 22nd 1989 by Mariner Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about A Literate Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Literate Passion

david
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read Henry Miller’s Nexus a while back. And I loved it. I wondered about this author. Does he really relate to the words he writes or is he simply a fictioneer?

Henry Miller was a Lutheran from New York but spent much of his creative time in Paris.

I had not read Anais Nin. A suffragette and a diarist. A great writer, I believe from Spain originally, and then a resident of both Paris and New York.

I learned that Anais and I share a love for the writings of DH Lawrence. She, a true devotee of
Shima
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
از نامههای آنائيس به هنری میلر:
از تو بیزارم هِنری!
زیرا نیک میدانم هیچکس را هیچوقت چنان دوست نداشتم که تو را.
دلتنگِ صدای توام،
دستانات، آغوشات، بدنات
خوی وحشی و خوی نیکات
و بیش از همه
دلتنگِ دوستیمان
Zenmoon
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy peeking through that window into writers' minds
Nin and Miller's passionate affair is now common knowledge, and this anthology of their letters lay's it even more bare. It's a fascinating window into these two writer's minds; it offers a compelling insight for other writers - just what did make these two literary greats tick? Certainly passion. And how did their love, and major major lust for each other affect their outpouring of work, and their perceptions of themselves as writers?

I came to these letters after my immersion in Henry and June,
Julie Stevanja
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Henry Miller fans, Anaïs Nin fans, sentimentalists, Francophiles
I’m sure many a literati heart sunk when reading that due to space limitations, the editors felt it necessary to eliminate “lengthy discussions of Dostoevsky, Proust, Joyce, D.H. Lawrence, [...:] ruminations on films, books, and so on...”

Fortunately, such illuminations were not withheld entirely and serve to illustrate the deep, intellectual bond that formed the basis of Miller and Nin’s love affair. While the letters recall impassioned discussions on literature, film, travel, poverty, war and
Sofia aaa
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! Incredible how it shows you how dedicated their relationship was!
You keep wondering what did go wrong, why it didn't work out, why just friends?
There's so much to learn from their letters.

They helped each other and they built something of their own. It might seem strange to other people, but it worked out and both of them reached success.
Their love might have burned out but there was more than that:they were intrinsically linked.
There was trust, friendship, loyalty, hope. O
Cherie
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anais nin fans
A- I highly recommend this epistolorary collection to all Nin fans; you learn to understand her love and devotion to Miller, and you do feel a little more empathetic to Miller--he has SO much love for her. You see the raw emotions--jealous, white hot sex, passion--in these letters. They span over the years, so towards the end, they are just friends, but you know their love always runs deep.
Danielle
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to Anais Nin, completely accidental, hungry for any Miller I could find at Half Price. Like an entirely new world. At seventeen, I didn't know people could feel this way about each other. God, these two were on fire.
melody mooney
May 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anaisnin
This is one of my very favorite reads. So passionate and full of heartbreak, drama and longing. Reading both Henry and Anais's letters made me feel like I was one of their trusted confidants to whom they revealed their most intimate of moments to.
Lee
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Once you become obsessed with Henry Miller reading about Anais Nin is a natural progression.
metaphor
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anais, you have become so vital a part of me that I’m completely upside down, if this means anything. I don’t know what I write- only that I love you, that I must have you exclusively, fiercely, possessively. I don’t know what I want. I’ve got too much, I guess. You’ve overwhelmed me and you’ve spoiled me. I keep asking harder and harder things of you. I expect you to accomplish miracles. You don’t know how I miss those nights we spent together- how much they meant to me. Other times you are jus ...more
Carolina
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished it... I may update this review when I am can see this from a distance, but for now, I am heart-broken.
Eℓℓis ♥
Da donna romantica e sognatrice quale sono, non potevo non cimentarmi in una lettura come questa.
Se "Che tu sia per me il coltello" di David Grossman era riuscito a farmi desiderare ardentemente di essere l'oggetto di un amore totalizzante come quello tra Yair e Miriam, perché non avrebbe dovuto riuscirci "Storia di una passione" che non è un romanzo, bensì la realtà?
Messe nero su bianco - sotto forma di fitto scambio epistolare - ci sono incertezze, convivialità, sentimenti d'ogni sorta, consig
Sophfronia Scott
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The correspondence between the writers Anais Nin and Henry Miller is striking in its intimacy and, fair warning, could cause many a shy reader to blush. But this aspect of their letters is also relatively minor--the book is called "A Literate Passion" for a reason. I was drawn in not by Nin and Miller's attraction for each other, but by their powerful love for the art of writing and the tenacious loyalty they showed for each other's work even after they ceased their affair. They frequently discu ...more
Tammy Marie Jacintho
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These letters explore a budding friendship, the burgeoning of a tempestuous relationship, all kinds of passionate pleas for the individual in society, solemn entreaties for love and autonomy, sentiments concerning the role of the artist in 20th century America, disappointments and regrets, and finally a return to friendship.

You won’t be able to put it down. You’ll wish for letters of intimacy, that these letters could find you in the present, and, no doubt, you will morn the death of the letter
Lisa
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, raw, sensual, cerebral, literary exchange between two great authors and lovers.
Heide
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a little shocking how this relationship dynamic took a fairly "normal" turn. Money, jealousy, trying to change the other etc. For some reason I expected something more lofty and liberating and yet Anais and Henry are very human. The difference in their normalcy is the ability to put their finger right on what it is that makes them so and to aspire to a consciousness thereof as a source of artistic creation. They are very, very conscious and talented at BEING normal. Definitely worth the r ...more
Sarah Hackley
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Miller and/or Nin
Provides deep insight into such an impassioned relationship - even more so than Nin's unexpunged diaries. The revelry and candid intimacy in the beginning to mid sections of the book gives way to strained friendship at the end. So disheartening to see such a great love fall apart! Letters shine due to Miller's and Nin's pervading wisdoms on life. Too bad they hadn't the same acuity into their hearts.
Nicole G.
Aug 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, letters
I love both of these writers very much. I will read anything by them. I prefer Miller slightly over Nin, though. Who knew Miller was such a prolific letter-writer? I know now, obviously, but these letters are a glimpse into their lives, the real stuff, not just the diaries and the Tropics. You can really see the love of craft, as well as for the other.
Sage Carroll
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating series of letters between Miller and Nin. It really gives you an intimate peek into their lives and their passionate friendship. Absolutely recommend it for fans of either author.
Vanessa
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I have long romanticized this affair between Nin and Miller, but after reading this book I realized that their relationship was just like any other relationship- exhilarating but full of challenges and less than perfect- only with better writing.
Katie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not as interesting as I thought it would be...disappointing. Henry and June is SO much better!!!!!
Doreen
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Briefe voller Andeutungen. Geschichte einer besonderen Beziehung.
Deanna
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
What do they say--riveting?
Matthew
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is about as amazing as any friendship gets between two people. its such a peek into the lives of two of my favorite writers.
Melissa Ruhl
Not my kind of book, unfortunately. I couldn't stand either one of them by the end. Sadly.
V
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Largely innocuous stuff, but there were a few lines that were so brilliant that they saved the book for me completely.
Lani
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite reads. The passion and longing between Henry and Anais and their eventual lifelong relationship was awe-inspiring.
Idelys Izquierdo Laboy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like the passion books.
Jackie
Oct 18, 2008 added it
these letters chronicle a very intense artistic liaison...
Pia
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I went through a several months phase of reading Anais' diaries, and found these letters fascinating alongside them...
  • Letters to Anaïs Nin
  • Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin
  • Selected Letters, 1940-1956
  • The Letters of Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf
  • Selected Letters
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
“Anaïs, I don't know how to tell you what I feel. I live in perpetual expectancy. You come and the time slips away in a dream. It is only when you go that I realize completely your presence. And then it is too late. You numb me. [...] This is a little drunken, Anaïs. I am saying to myself "here is the first woman with whom I can be absolutely sincere." I remember your saying - "you could fool me, I wouldn't know it." When I walk along the boulevards and think of that. I can't fool you - and yet I would like to. I mean that I can never be absolutely loyal - it's not in me. I love women, or life, too much - which it is, I don't know. But laugh, Anaïs, I love to hear you laugh. You are the only woman who has a sense of gaiety, a wise tolerance - no more, you seem to urge me to betray you. I love you for that. [...]
I don't know what to expect of you, but it is something in the way of a miracle. I am going to demand everything of you - even the impossible, because you encourage it. You are really strong. I even like your deceit, your treachery. It seems aristocratic to me.”
551 likes