Start by marking “Stay” as Want to Read:
Stay

Stay

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  19,133 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews

An unforgettable novel about the power of friendship and kindness by the New York Times bestselling author of Pay It Forward.

In the summer of 1969, fourteen-year-old Lucas Painter carries a huge weight on his shoulders. His brother is fighting in Vietnam. His embattled parents are locked in a never-ending war. And his best friend, Connor, is struggling with his own fam

Published December 3rd 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Stay, please sign up.
Cindi When talking about which movie to see on page 96, “Blaine had the closest theater....Ashby was too small to have a theater.”

Those two towns are locate…more

Those two towns are located in Minnesota. Blaine is just north of Minneapolis and Ashby is 2 hours northwest of there.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Joan I liked the title. It is very appropriate for people like Lucas's friend Connor who thinks there is nothing good left in life to stay for, but just th…moreI liked the title. It is very appropriate for people like Lucas's friend Connor who thinks there is nothing good left in life to stay for, but just then he discovers as I have often done, that just when things are most bleak suddenly you something good and hopeful comes into your life to stay for. I t never pays to give up no matter how depressing things are, because there is always good just around the corner! It may be just a small thing , but sometimes small things are the best things in life. Spring follows winter and brings Hope which Springs Eternal!(less)

·  19,133 ratings  ·  1,565 reviews

Start your review of Stay
Angela M
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read two books by Catherine Ryan Hyde and while I enjoy an uplifting story, they felt a bit too sappy, even for me. Then I read Have You Seen Luis Velez? and I liked that one so much more. Still, I wasn’t planning on reading this one, until I read the 4 and 5 stars reviews by some of my friends that kept coming. It was my friend Tudor Queen’s review that convinced me and I’m thankful because I really was moved by this story.

It was easy to like Lucas right from the beginning, feel for him as he
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't you just love those rare books that grab you immediately from the first page? It's such a thrill when that happens. I'm going to write this review with the strictest of caution not to reveal too many details as the reader must experience this delicious unfolding of a story going in blind.

It's the summer of 1969 when the book begins, with one 14-year old Lucas Painter recounting a pivotal moment in the trajectory of his life. He likened it to when you're walking across a teeter totter and
Christine
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Catherine Ryan Hyde is one of my big reading discoveries this year. I have only read two of her bajillion books so far, but both hit the bullseye for me. I am thrilled there are so many more for me to dive into.

Stay is a thoroughly engaging story set in the summer of 1969. The plot centers around four main characters, including the deeply affecting Zoe Dinsmore, a 55-year-old recluse with tragedy in her past that has left her racked with guilt. Then there are the two 14-year-old best frie
Berit☀️✨
Such a beautiful story! Exquisitely told, deeply moving, and thoughtfully tender. It is the summer of 1969 and 14-year-old Lucas has a lot too be concerned about. His parents are fighting nonstop, his brother is over in Vietnam, and his best friend doesn’t seem to want to leave the house. There was a lot of burden on this 14-year-old’s shoulders and so he took to running in the woods where he met Zoe and her dogs. At first Lucas would only run with the dogs and had very little interaction with Z ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
This was such a touching read. I was utterly transfixed by this novel as I read it over the course of a single day.
It was gentle.
It was sweet.
It was heartbreaking.
And it was life affirming.

The majority of the novel takes place in the summer of 1969 and focuses on 14 year old Lucas Painter. Lucas is the sweetest character ever. I have never felt so maternal about a character when reading a book as I have about Lucas. He's just on life's precipice about to become a man, but still a boy...
And i
Suzy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wow! Stunning book! Catherine Ryan Hyde does it again with Stay - a coming of age story about Lucas Painter growing up in the summer of 1969. My review will be brief because it’s best to just dive into this book without knowing too much about it.

The story is told from one POV - Lucas. He is the sweetest, most caring and selfless 14 year old boy who carries a lot of burdens. His parents constantly fight and yell, his older brother is at war in Vietnam and his best friend Conne
Elyse  Walters
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Stay” has 439 written reviews on Goodreads, with an overall 4.46 rating.

The blurb itself says plenty - Forgive me if I’m just singing to the choir...” yes, it’s good, has heart, worthy issues, depth, insightful themes, and takes place during the Vietnam war era.....in a small town.
Yep.....
I ENJOYED THIS BOOK *Too*!
Thank you Goodreads community!!! 👍🏻💕🐾🌳

Towards the end I was ready for it to end...
but there is no denying that “Stay”, was easily engaging - with storytelling that flowed effortle
Tahera
"Why do people do that? Why do they need to make you wrong? Or make you out to be some kind of bad person? Everybody knows bad things happen. I know we are not supposed to talk about this. I know you don't want me to. But I'm talking about it. I'm just talking about it. Because I need to know".

"Here's the thing," she said. "If they admit to themselves that what happened couldn't have been easily prevented, then they're admitting it could happen to them."

All I want to say is that there are so
Carolyn
This is only the second novel I've read written by Catherine Ryan Hyde, but she writes such beautiful books that I will definitely be checking out her previous novels.

The main character in this book, Lucas Painter is a fourteen year old boy who is very thoughtful and caring for his age. The year is 1969 and his homelife is difficult as his parents fight all the time and his older brother Roy is away in Vietnam writing Lucas letter which show he is struggling with the trauma of combat. His best
Libby
3.5 stars rounded up. This is a coming of age story about fourteen-year-old Lucas Painter that begins during the summer of 1969. Lucas’s parents fight all the time and he feels like he has to leave his house to get any peace. That’s how he comes across two huge dogs in their massive doghouse in the middle of the woods. He begins speedrunning, pumping adrenaline to get away from two dogs that weigh at least a hundred pounds each. When he falls, he makes a couple of important discoveries. The dogs ...more
Theresa Alan
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adore Catherine Ryan Hyde. This novel should be depressing because it deals with incredibly difficult topics—suicide, addiction, parental neglect, the Vietnam war—and yet I found it uplifting.

Fourteen-year-old Lucas’s brother is fighting in Vietnam and his parents are fighting each other—constantly. By accident, he befriends a much older woman with a troubled past and finds solace in running and hanging out with her dogs. His best friend is also troubled. Connor’s parents don’t fight—they’d h
Judy
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wonderful surprise! I had never read anything by this author, but a friend recommended it so I thought I would pick it up. The story is told from the point of view of a fourteen-year-old boy, Lucas Painter, who was dealing with several issues: his brother was off fighting in Vietnam, his parents argued all the time, and his best friend, Connor, is always sad. Lucas has discovered that two dogs live at a cabin in the woods and he goes and runs with them every day. One day the dogs ...more
Brenda
When Lucas Painter was only fourteen, he felt weighed down by what was happening around him. His big brother Roy, whom he idolized, was away fighting in Vietnam – Lucas continually worried that he wouldn’t make it home again. His parents were forever fighting; yelling at one another – Lucas needed to leave the house to get away from the harsh words. His best friend Connor was struggling with issues concerning his mother and father and Lucas worried he couldn’t help his friend.

The day Lucas wande
Karen.J.
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Another heart warming story written by Catherine Ryan Hyde. When I need a feel good story especially in this crazy world we are all now living in I turn to Catherine Ryan Hyde. You never disappoint me with your incredible compellingly writing. Happy reading to all...📚
Tammy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story written with heart and depth about 14 year old Lucas Painter’s coming of age during the summer of 1969.
While his parents fight loudly everyday, his dad coming home later and later at night, Lucas’ last letter from his brother in Vietnam has him seriously worried, thanks to it’s mostly being blacked out by censors. What was his brother trying to tell him?
The Cats’ Mother
I’ve now read about eight books by this author and loved almost all of them, and this is no exception. A moving, thought-provoking story about the kindest teenager ever, his friends and family and how a single decision can change your life. The wonderful thing is that Ms Hyde has written so many other books that I have loads more to look forward to!

It’s 1969 and Lucas Painter is fourteen and living in a small American town in an unspecified state. His parents fight all the time, his best friend
Judy D Collins
Deserving of 10 STARS! 🙌 Top Books of 2019.
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 +++++

Catherine Ryan Hyde has a rare gift of storytelling and grabs you by the heartstrings in a way no other author can. No words can adequately describe my feelings about STAY. This book was compelling, beautifully written, moving, and every person on this planet should read this book! This world would be a better place.

Quick notes. More coming. I am so blown away by the spellbinding power and meaning of this book. It is captivating.

Hyde's ch
Lisa
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ryan Hyde has written a delightful book with a perfect blend of characters, setting and story.

SUMMARY
Lucas Painter is fourteen years old and overwhelmed with responsibility. It’s 1969 and his brother, Roy is fighting in Vietnam, his parents are endlessly fighting, and his best friend Connor is struggling with depression. Lucas is trying desperately to help all of them. Lucas has turned to running to take his mind off his troubles. On a run in the woods near his house, he finds an isola
Karen R
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written story by seasoned author Catherine Ryan Hyde. Each of her characters are engaging, my favorite being 14-year old Lucas, the central character whose life will drastically change after meeting up with two large dogs near a remote cabin in the woods.

“What I did not yet know is that I had placed the first domino in a stack of events that would literally alter the world as I’d known it.”

This selfless, perceptive and thoughtful young man completely captured my heart. He carried a h
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
This book really made an impact on me. It featured a brave young teenager, Lucas Painter, amongst a number of broken people like his best friend Connor and Zoe Dinsmore. This story was set during Vietnam so the author addressed issues such as depression, physical disability issues and addictions.
Lucas was the real MVP in this story, along some pets (2 dogs and a cat). Despite his own issues, he tried his best to be supportive of those around him who had serious issues.

The biggest thing that I t
Marianne
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I felt as though Mrs. Dinsmore had pressed a key into my hand, and that key had just opened up some secret part of the universe that had always been a mystery to me. Sounds like an exaggeration, but I guess you’d have to know how utterly baffled I’d been by life up until then.”

Stay is the twenty-ninth novel by award-winning American author, Catherine Ryan Hyde. Lucas Painter comes across the cottage in the woods by accident. The large dogs sitting outside shock him into fleeing, even though he
Tammy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out in the woods walking one day to clear his mind, Lucas sees two dogs, they spot him and begin chasing him. He’s relieved t
Sherri Thacker
When Catherine Ryan Hyde comes out with a new book, I immediately get it. When I saw this on NetGalley as a Read Now, I downloaded it right away. Wow! What a wonderful story! It’s heartbreaking, honest, and a gentle story. I loved it and couldn’t put it down. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book. All opinions are my own. 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
This emotional, thought-provoking read had me questioning everything at every turn. I don't know what I would have done, my thoughts were all over the place. This book reminds me that family is more than the one you are born into. The story is well paced and I loved the characters. The author really got the widening awareness that Lucas has as he grows up. The setting is so well depicted I could feel and see the dry grasses and the rains. She shows that all was not sweetness and light.

There is s
Nisa
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read it, I feel like it is a real-life story. Even though we did not learn about some character I didn't feel like it wasn't enough. I enjoyed reading Lucas' heartwarming story. This story made me remember how some events in our life we thought unimportant become important for someone else or how important it could be for our life.

In Stay, we are reading fourteen-year-old Lucas Painter's' life from his point of view and how two dogs he met coincidentally changed his and other lives, not o
Ange H
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful story about friendship, loss, and healing.
Highly recommend.
Erin Clemence
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars rounded up to 4

Lucas Painter is fourteen years old in the summer of 1969. His big brother is fighting in Vietnam, his parents are fighting each other, and his best friend is fighting depression. To escape, Lucas starts running daily through the forest near his home. When he comes across a cabin in the middle of nowhere that appears abandoned Lucas almost
Judy Christiana
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Stay is the coming of age story of a boy, Lucas Painter, in 1969. This is the point in his life where he becomes a man, even though he feels inadequate and responsible for so much more than should be on his 14-year-old shoulders. He finds peace when he begins to run one day in the woods near his house and happens upon two huge dogs by an old cabin that begin to run with him daily. The dogs, Rembrandt and Vermeer, give unconditional love and support, as is their nature.
He soon meets their owner,
Leanna Mattea
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read all of Catherine Ryan Hyde’s novel, I come to expect wonderful, well developed characters, lovable dogs, a feisty cat and frequently a horse. I just finished an ARC of Stay, and all were part of this beautiful story, except a horse.
As usual, a message is delivered in her stories and that was true here. A single choice can alter the direction of a life. In this case, that could be said of several of her interesting characters, but more so Lucas. The choices he made impacted his own l
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: Free ebook copy received through NetGalley

Catherine Ryan Hyde does it again – Stay is a serious, deep and very beautiful, yet realistic and down to Earth novel. This is my second book by her, and I was completely blown away by the first one, Where Is Luis Velez, so I was a little bit worried about reading another one (despite buying up ANYTHING by her that went on sale for the past half a year!) Because what if I didn't like it as much? It's hard to start reading an auth

• Because You're Mine
  • The Curious Heart of Ailsa Rae
  • Mother Knows Best
  • Woman on the Edge
  • All the Flowers in Paris
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Today We Go Home
  • Let It Snow
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The School Friend
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • The Wonder of Now (Sanctuary Sound, #3)
  • Mistletoe at the Lakeside Resort (Lakeside Resort #3)
  • The Companion
  • The Empty Nest
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir