Start by marking “Man vs. Durian (Baldwin Village, #3)” as Want to Read:
Man vs. Durian (Baldwin Village, #3)

Man vs. Durian

(Baldwin Village #3)

Durian is my nemesis. We have a long, painful history. In my opinion, the spiky fruit smells like natural gas and rotten onions with eau de vomit. Bleh.

So when Valerie Chow spills her durian ice cream all over me, I shouldnt fall in love.

But despite her fondness for durian, Valerie is beautiful and delightfully prickly and stares at me when I take off my soiled shirt. And
Published August 27th 2019 by Jackie Lau Books

To ask other readers questions about Man vs. Durian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man vs. Durian

Start your review of Man vs. Durian (Baldwin Village, #3)
b.andherbooks
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, romance
Jackie Lau's next book, Man vs. Durian, is so important. It is a lovely romance between a prickly heroine and the soft, handsome cinnamon roll who utterly falls for her after she dumps durian ice cream on him.

Peter hates durian, but he falls in love with Valerie who could be compared to the fruit itself.
Plus, the sensitive and important discussion of Valerie's need to use lube and a vibrator to achieve orgasm is wonderful to see depicted, especially how Peter listens, learns, and doesn't just
Jess
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jackie Lau has sufficiently conditioned me to expect some stupid misunderstanding that breaks the couple up that the heroine and I spent similar amounts of time in dread, wondering what was actually wrong. It was disconcerting.

Anyway, if you're interested in checking Jackie Lau out, I'd really suggest starting with this Baldwin Village series, because they've all been very, very good. The hero of this one is particularly dreamy.
Christine
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, asian-character
Despite durian's well-deserved reputation for stink, Man vs. Durian may be Jackie Lau's sweetest romance ever. Peter, with his gentle romantic campaign to win over prickly Valerie despite her love for the disgusting fruit, is definitely one of her sweetest heroes. He simply worships Valerie the way she is, even with all her hangups. Valerie's slow realization, despite her mistrust of men, that Peter makes her feel amazing after a kiss in an alley says it all:
Im a failed software developer who
Danni
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is a very light read and it was perfect to sit down with on a weekend and just enjoy.

Valerie is feeling the pressure from her family, after her only big relationship ended the year before and she finds herself scooping her ice cream instead of working in the field she wanted to be in. In order to get them off her back, she informs them that she's dating a pediatrician named Peter. Of course, there is no Peter.

Except the very next day, she accidentally crashes into a man
Emmalita
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
As Malin pointed out, I have reviewed a lot of Jackie Lau this year. I discovered her this year. I am a binger by nature. She has a nicely priced back catalog. She has sent me a couple of ARCs. I really like her books. I did receive Man vs. Durian as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Peter So hates the smell of durian, a Malaysian fruit known for its hard, prickly shell, pungent smell and creamy taste. Valerie Chow loves the taste of durian. When they meet, they run into each other and
Eli
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the Baldwin Village books and was pumped when I heard that Jackie Lau was releasing one featuring Valerie and a man who hates durian. This features the fake dating trope with two Asian-Canadian leads and a very sweet hero that understands our heroines needs and doesnt judge her for them. I really enjoyed this book. Lau has an amazing voice and makes it easy to connect with the characters and see their side.

While this may be the third book in the Baldwin Village series, it can be read as a
Jacki
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Despite the fluffiness, this romance took on so many important issues. Here's a short list of what it addresses...
-workplace sexual harassment
-trauma
-emotional abuse
-women getting shamed for having different sexual needs than what we're told is normal (normal is not normal!)
-family pressure
-job shaming

I'm not sure how Lau managed to hit all of those points and simultaneously write about so many different durian desserts, but she straight up did it. Also, the hero is awesome beyond words, and I
Kristi (foxtail_too)
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc
I received an e-ARC of this book a couple of weeks ago, and waited for an open weekend afternoon so I could really indulge. I really enjoyed it as much as I expect to. Some of the things that made it special were the slow pace of the romance and the most excellent hero, the food (of course), and revisiting some of the other Baldwin Village characters. As usual, the food descriptions made me wish I lived in a more cosmopolitan area so that I could try some of these amazing dishes. And I ...more
Viper Spaulding
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, if somewhat prickly, love story

What a wonderful opposites-attract romance! Peter is laid-back, outgoing, amiable almost to a fault. Valerie is guarded, a bit closed off, and wary of men in general. She invents a fake boyfriend when her mother won't leave her alone, then when she meets Peter (and turns down his request for a date) she realizes he's close enough to the details of her lie that he could pose as the fake and hopefully satisfy her mother's incessant meddling.

The story
The Pink Heart Society
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-pink-hearts
Rated: 5 Pink Hearts Reviewed by: Ali

Fake relationship alert!

Yes, Jackie Lau's latest is a fake relationship and those of you have read her books before, know this is a trope she has mastered. Big time. And Man vs Durian is no different.

But this book is about more than just the deliciousness of Peter pretending to be Valerie's boyfriend whilst putting up with her love for durian, it's much much more. Lau takes on orgasms in a big way - there's no magic penis here. Valerie struggles to orgasm and
I received an e-ARC of this book from the author for an honest review.

This book is one of my favorites of the year. Its the third in a series that I havent read, and I loved the side characters. I will definitely be reading the first two books.

Valerie had a bad year. Her boyfriend cheated on her and she had to quit her job due to sexual harassment. Shes working at her best friends Ice Cream shop where she meets Peter. Peter is a landscaper who hates durian. Valerie spills durian ice cream all
Amanda
This might be my favorite in the Baldwin Village series so far. While it does deal with some serious themes with Valeries backgroundshe left her previous job after her boss sexually harassed her and was kind of blackballed when trying to find a new positionthe romance itself was lower angst. Valerie finds it hard to trust, but Peter is absolutely the sweetest man. Hes just really kind and GOOD and Valerie finds that almost too good to be true. I love a fake relationship trope but their ...more
Marianne
Man vs. Durian was a another lovely read by Jackie Lau. Once again, I loved setting and the food, but I also really enjoyed the time spent with both Valerie and Peter's families. I found Valerie to be incredibly sympathetic, and I really liked Peter, though, like Valerie, I found him too good to be true. Which is, I think, a problem many people have with "good people." Deepthi's comment about Peter as a good "starter boyfriend" and measuring stick was really on point for how sometimes people ...more
Aisha
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I tried to delay the ending of this book for some many different reason. I love the main characters of the book they are lovable and well developed. The story of a fake boyfriend turned real was very enjoyable. The book is totally worth the read dont pass it up. ...more
Shawna
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, ebook, own-voices
Peter might be my favorite Jackie Lau MC, which is saying something, bc they're all pretty great. He's thoughtful and sweet and just the right amount of persistent. He shouldn't be a cinnamon-roll unicorn, he should be the standard. More Peters, please!
Louise ✨
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like Jackie Lau will never disappoint me. I loved this one a lot .

- The parents. Peter's mom is a painter, she likes to paint vagina or anything related to sex. His dad has an instagram account for his dog

- fake dating that turns into dating for real. This happened quickly and I liked it because after that they were still taking everything slow and respected each other a lot. The sex scenes weren't awkward to read because again they had so much respect for what the other needed.
Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo
4.5 Stars
wsuds
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
strongest book in the series
Phoenix
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slytherin-Hufflepuff
MK
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sad this is the final book of the series. I've really loved it. But what a way to go out! Peter is absolutely dreamy and so laid back. He knows who he is and what he needs to be happy, which is such a refreshing change from most heroes. Valerie is not your typical heroine - she's introverted and needs her vibrator to orgasm. Peter works with both of these issues on her terms, which is so rare in romance. It's fantastic.

I also really appreciate the frank look at the effects of sexual harassment
Essie M
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this third book we get Valeries love story, filled with fake dating, a heroine whos trying to figure her life out (cw for workplace sexual harassment), a hero who is sooo sweet, food everywhere and durian in so many forms! Valerie and Peter together are the best parts of durian, sweet and mushy together!

Janet Hill
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
So cool to open up a new book by an author I haven't read before and find it set in Canada. The book was funny and crazy and if you know your durian, you know it is a multisensory experience even on the page.
Jennifer Fner
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh no. I pre-ordered this book and Amazon delivered it to my Kindle at midnight EST, which is only 9pm here. I'll not get any sleep to tonight! ; )
Debbie
SE
Sep 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please remove cover! 3 240 Jul 19, 2019 09:24AM

• Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Grumpy Jake
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted Book 2)
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Love Lettering
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
Jackie Lau decided she wanted to be a writer when she was in grade two, sometime between writing The Heart That Got Lost and The Land of Shapes. She later studied engineering and worked as a geophysicist before turning to writing romance novels.

Jackie lives in Toronto with her husband, and despite living in Canada her whole life, she hates winter. When shes not writing, she enjoys cooking, hiking,

Baldwin Village (3 books)
  • The Ultimate Pi Day Party (Baldwin Village, #1)
  • Ice Cream Lover (Baldwin Village, #2)