Start by marking “Sew in Love: 4 Historical Stories of Love Stitched into Broken Lives” as Want to Read:
Sew in Love: 4 Historical Stories of Love Stitched into Broken Lives

Sew in Love: 4 Historical Stories of Love Stitched into Broken Lives

When four women put needle and thread to fabric, will their sewing lead to love?

TAILORED SWEETHEARTS by Debby Lee
Dutch Harbor, Alaska, Summer 1945
A parachute seamstress struggles with her faith in desperate circumstances. A fighter pilot teaches her to hope in her darkest hours.

WOVEN HEARTS by Jacquolyn McMurray
New York City, 1911
A shirtwaist factory fire survivo
Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Sew in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sew in Love

Start your review of Sew in Love: 4 Historical Stories of Love Stitched into Broken Lives
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Hearts down with love. By Darlene Panzera

Relationships grow with patience, persistence and time.
When the life she thoughts she would have crumbled Maggie had to believe God had a plan for her despite the disappointments. I enjoyed reading about how she met Ben and how the both of them had to let go of their plans and trust God to bring forth his plans for thier lives.
Jeremiah 29:11 best captures this story.

Woven hearts by Jacquolyn McMurray.
Abe and Millie. Interesting story of loss, pain, red
Lilian
Sew in Love is a collection of four romance stories that revolve around the women's love for sewing. All four stories were well-written, heartwarming and will leave the reader yearning for more. My personal favourite was The Language of Love that brings together an Irish seamstress who wants to downplay her accent and a baseball player with a speech impediment. Granted that I am not the least bit interested in American baseball, I enjoyed how the characters thought they were not meant for becaus ...more
Trixi
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Barbour novella collection books and “Sew in Love” is no exception! I only knew two authors in here but happily discovered two new ones. Another thing I love, being introduced to writers I would have never known had they not been included in the set. These are always a win/win for me!

The stories take place from 1850 to the end of WW2 in 1945. The most modern one was Debby Lee with “Tailored Sweethearts”. I haven't read too many war time stories as they aren't my favorite, but
Savanna Kaiser
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a neat concept for a novella collection! I enjoyed the settings, endearing characters working through difficult life circumstances, and historical details. As in most novellas, the romance is short and sweet. I'm always left wanting a little more. :) But I can't complain. It's easy to read and enjoy when you don't have a lot of time. Historical fiction fans will enjoy this! ...more
Tereana D
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from the publisher to review.

This is a multi-author anthology collection containing four stories.

Even though the fourth story in the book was a more modern historical romance, it was still great.

I enjoyed reading the book, it was definitely a great read.
Linda Shook
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this book. Four stories from four amazing authors about four amazing women. The first story from 1850 features Maggie during the California gold rush. The second set in New York in 1911 finds Millie surviving a fire in the garment district. Story three also in New York in 1911 finds Jeni working behind the scenes making beautiful hats for rich women and finally the last story, set in Dutch Harbor, Alaska during 1945 finds Stella working as a parachute seamstress. Love is in ...more
Ann
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of novellas. Each one is well written, holds your attention and has a wonderful christian message. This collection was a joy to read and I look forward to reading more books by these four authors. If you like historical christian romance, you will love this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Rosie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of unrelated stories taking place between 1850 - 1945. Each of the four novellas was a 5 star story that included historical fact as a basis of the storyline. Really good reading.

I received an ARC ebook from Barbour through NetGalley and I was under no obligation to post a review.
Kristin
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this set of four short novellas by four different authors. Each story is set in a different time in history and each features a seamstress. Get it? Sew in Love... cute, right? The characters draw you in and the setting and historical details keep you rooted. Lovely stories, highly recommended.
Ochegba
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful collection of novellas tells the beautiful story four women who have been through trying times and use sewing to pull them through. I enjoyed each story in it's uniqueness and the way the authors put it all together.
They had their faith tested and the struggled but love found them.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions expressed are mine
Becky
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put something about sewing or many other crafts in a novel title and I'll pick it up to read without even reading the jacket blurb. That's what I did with Sew in Love, a collection of four novellas all revolving around sewing. Beginning in 1850 and going through to World War II, each of the heroines has a specific talent in sewing and their talents lead them to love.

Each of the girls faces some dark days that test her faith, and needs the help of the man to get her bearings back.

These stories
Esther
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love novella collections. The shorter length of each story is perfect for when you want a quick read. I usually find that I like two or three of the four stories within a collection. This rings true for the four stories within this collection.

Hearts Sewn with Love by Darlene Panzera and Woven Hearts by Jacquolyn McMurray were both good, quick reads. I appreciated the different aspects of the historical settings of each. I found myself slightly frustrated with all the main characters at times.
Joanne Jaytanie
Sew in Love is a nice mix of stories with the overall theme of the heroines working as seamstresses. Woven Hearts was, by far, my favorite. The author did an excellent job of accurately capturing the historical setting of New York City and the aftermath of the factory fire on an already struggling society. The richness of the plot, along with a beautifully developed heroine, and a strong supporting cast, made this story sparkle.
Jeri Stockdale
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Sew in Love immensely. Built around the common theme of sewing, each novella spun an individual tale, unique for each heroine and for the different historical time frames in which the characters lived. They are well written, full of life's struggles, inspirational in nature, and with a satisfying romance. All four stories left me with something to think about and to remember. I especially enjoy reading WWII stories, maybe because my parents lived that era, so Debby Lee's novella, Tailo ...more
Jacquolyn McMurray
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite genres to read is historical fiction. This was my first attempt at writing in the genre and it turns out I love the research and imagining what life was like during those dark days after the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire. I enjoyed reading the other stories in the collection and working with Darlene Panzera, Debby Lee, and Kimberley Woodhouse. The strong female characters are a draw for me and the way each of them pushes through to their HEA.
Libby Harrison
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

These 4 novellas based on incidents in the early 1900s in the California goldfields, New York and Alaska are all well worth a read. All based on a certain event or series of events that helped shape American history.
While all well written and informative as well as entertaining, my favourite is the second in the collection, that written by Jaquolyn McMurray "Woven Hearts".
Based on the Triangle Shirtwaist garment factory disaster of 1911 in New York, we follow the life of a young female survivor,
Becca-Rae Weidel
Hearts Sewn With Love:

I really enjoyed this read. It was easy to get into and I thought it was well paced especially for the shorter length of a novella. Ben and Maggie were both likable characters and it was easy to root for their romance to blossom. There's something about the times of the gold rush that has always intrigued me so I really loved the setting of this one. I liked that the dangers of gold mining were not ignored and the experiences of the characters sucked me into their world.

Wov
Jessica
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hearts Sewn with Love

I love western stories and this one had it all. Horses, intrigue, gold and love. I liked Ben so much. He was such a kind and caring man. He wanted to provide for his family and make sure they had everything they needed. Ben learned to trust God more than anything else during this story. Philip was such a sweet and brave boy. Philip wanted a family and wanted to be a man. I loved how kind and caring he was towards Maggie. Maggie was such a lovely lass. She had no trouble stat
Marvy Herrera
Mar 08, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from Barbour Publishing, Inc. via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

In the first story we go to California in 1850 in the middle of the gold fever, what I like about this story is the is how the author remained us of the importance of trusting God and not our strengths or plans. Even amid the unexpected God always have a plan and He is always in control. Then go to New York on 1911 the reality of the life of the immigrant that had to work in factory and how many of
Marta Aldrighetti
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book includes 4 stories of strong, smart and determined ladies, we must learn from these stories.
1) Hearts sew with love - Darlene Panzera
Maggie received a wedding proposal and a wealty life from her cousin Lewis, so Maggie and her mother leave New York and take 6 months journey to San Francisco.
there, they'll knowthe reality and soon they must take care theirself and think something to earn money and support theirself.
Maggie dream is open a seamstress shop, ... perhaps in the future..
2) Wo
Faith
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a anthology whose stories cover a spectrum of different ways women earned money sewing to help their families. These women had to work because the men with the exception of two of the stories, were all deceased. Of the two with men, one was severely injured and unable to work and in the other the father was stationed in England during WW II.

Every story tells of the struggles, hardships, pain and loss that these brave women face as they work to earn money to care for their families. Each
Stacy
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darlene Panzera's Hearts Sewn with Love is a highly enjoyable story with realistic characters and scenes, the enterprising spirit of the heroine is the perfect foil to some not-so-perfect characters she encounters. Overall, it is a fun, quick, entertaining read.

Woven Hearts by Jacquolyn McMurray pits an intrepid young lady against some dangerous circumstances, I enjoyed the intrigue and romance in this story, and it was a fast read.

A Language of Love by Kimberly Woodhouse adeptly handles the se
Robin Willson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This was supposed to be the land of the free and the home of the brave. A place where all men were equal. If only that were true for women. And women who were Irish."
Unconnected stories sewn together of people from 1850 to 1911 to 1945.
A girl sailing to Sacramento to meet her fiance during the gold rush, a girl in Alaska who meets a soldier in the hospital, a girl in New York City who survives a fire and a union worker, and an Irish girl who meets a baseball player. They all sew, and its a str
Marilyn Creagan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These 4 stories are entertaining and informative. Each features a delightfully strong young woman determined to use her talents to succeed so she can support her family. They set their goals and work hard, undeterred by obstacles. Naturally their paths cross with those of worthy men. Their relationships develop as the couples empower each other to achieve their dreams. It was quite fun to share in the turmoil and discoveries as they all grew to understand themselves and others. The historical as ...more
Anne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sew in Love
By Debby Lee, Kimberley Woodhouse, Darlene Panzera, and Jacquolyn McMurray
From 1850 to 1945 follow four women as they use their gift of sewing to find love.
I imagine that novellas are challenging to write. You must have a good plot but a concise storyline while providing depth and growth. That being said the first 3 novellas of this collection were great however I did not enjoy the last one as I felt it was poorly written. The previous three stories were well written, unique from one
Caroline
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of novellas made for delightful reading! When I want to read something a little lighter, that's going to make me feel good and keep my interest and imagination; these Barbour collections don't fail to deliver.

I especially liked Kimberley Woodhouse's novella, A Language of Love, which tackled the subject of racism and women's rights in the early 1900s. Its storyline revolves around a renowned baseball player and a talented, fashion-forward milliner who both seek out a language tea
Amy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sew in Love is a collection of four sweet historical stories: These stories include:
Hearts Sewn with Love by Darlene Panzera
Woven Hearts by Jacquolyn McMurray
A Language of Love by Kimberley Woodhouse
Tailored Sweethearts by Debby Lee
I enjoyed this collection and found some new to authors to look forward to in the future. I am giving it four and a half stars.
Nyla
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of novella was wonderful! It was a nice sampling of four different authors. Each author had a distinct style. I thought they were all easy to read an follow. The characters were well rounded. The stories were well thought and very well organized. This gets a 5 star rating from me. I highly recommend it to historical fiction lovers.
Paula
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sew in Love is a group of stories, all including sewing in one form or another, written by various authors. Each story is enjoyable, just short. I found myself wishing each story was longer, full length novels. Great reading, but just too short.
Jessica Turbiville
Just finished reading this novella collection. Loved it! The only negative is that the stories are too short! Four stories about women finding love at different points in American history. I am a history buff, so I really enjoy learning new things and immersing myself in stories.

• The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Homefront Heroines: 4 Young Women Dream of Victory and Love During WWII
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • To Steal a Heart (The Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency, #1)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Before I Called You Mine
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • A Cowboy for Keeps (Colorado Cowboys, #1)