Start by marking “Tallulah Plays the Tuba” as Want to Read:
Tallulah Plays the Tuba

Tallulah Plays the Tuba

Tallulah is tiny, but the TUBA is not!

Tallulah isnt big, but the instrument she dreams of playing sure is. Try as she might, tiny Tallulah keeps coming up short on how she can play the tuba in her school band. But with some perseverance and a lot of creativity, Tallulah hatches a plan that she hopes will turn her musical dream into reality.

Children will laugh along with
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Tallulah Plays the Tuba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tallulah Plays the Tuba

Start your review of Tallulah Plays the Tuba
La Coccinelle
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
This is a cute book about a little girl who cleverly solves a problem. Just don't think about it too hard.

Many kids will be able to relate to Tallulah's dilemma. She really wants to do something, but she's just too small. In this case, she wants to play the tuba, but the thing is massive, so her music teacher tries to persuade her to play the piccolo instead. But the piccolo doesn't make that "oom-pah" sound, which is what Tallulah really loves. After trying all sorts of ways to make herself
KDV
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like Tallulah's tenacity but I couldn't get past the premise! She's too tiny to play tuba, but I'm pretty sure they make small tubas with children in mind. Why her elementary school music teacher doesn't know that is a mystery! Her giant steak dinner also bummed me out. But I'm all about brass instruments. A mixed bag.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is an awesome book about perseverance. Tallulah wants to play the tuba. She dreams about being a tuba player, so when she gets to music class and is told she is too small, she should try the piccolo instead, she is disappointed. Does she give up? Not Tallulah. She tries lots of different things until she is finally successful. I do not want to spoil this cute story, but suffice it to say, the message is pretty clear. Don't give up on your dreams. My grandchildren both enjoyed this story and ...more
Etienne
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and fun read about a young girl who believe in her dream, but also works (in a funny way for the entertainment purpose) to achieved them. Like I said, it is fun and entertaining but can also well be use to introduce a discussion about what is possible and not, and what you have to do if you want to do/achieve something. Well done!
Patricia McLaughlin
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Exaggeration for comical and rhetorical effects dooms this story, as other reviewers have noted in more specific detail; yes, the girl uses some creativity to play the too-tall tuba, but her ultimate solution requires her to bury the metal instrument in the ground, which would ruin the tuba, and bend the will of everyone around her to accommodate her selfish desire, which seems contrary to the whole idea of a school band. The well-drawn illustrations of the multicultural characters earn a second ...more
Becki
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Super cute book about a little girl who uses perseverance and ingenuity to finally fulfill her dream of becoming a tuba player. Fun text and adorable illustrations! (I loved the inclusive skin tones of the teacher and students!) As a music teacher I was hoping there would be some tangential learning opportunities for my students about musical instruments or skills, but sadly- that was not the purpose or scope of this book. Enjoy it for what it is- a cute book about a determined little girl. :)

Sarah Peterman
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super duper cute. I read this to my four year old, who at the moment despises being called little, even if I mean it in the sweetest way. Hates it. So felt like there was a connection there that he liked.
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is basically a book about problem solving and determination.

Tullulah wants to play the tuba, but she is too small.

So, she finds a way to play the instrument, by burying it in the ground. This is not a long term solution, so I'm afraid she is still back to square one.

Still funny, and fun, so it gets its four stars.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Vonda
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tallulah wants to play the tuba, but she is tiny and cant reach the mouthpiece. Her band director, Mr. Greenwood, tries to talk her in to playing the piccolo, but Tallulah has made up her mind. She goes about trying to prove she is big enough. Can she make herself grow? Find out her solution when you read this book.

Tallulah behaves with funny antics throughout the book. Kids will enjoy the illustrations of all the ways Tallulah tries to make herself taller: standing on stilts, wearing huge
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this to a group of grade 3/4 students today. A few really liked it. Others were meh, and the rest gave it three stars, so that's what I'm going with here.
It's the story of Tullulah, a petite for her age girl, who really really wants to play the tuba. Her band teacher tells her she is too small. But Tallulah really really wants to play the tuba, so she comes up with all kinds of solutions. None of them work until she gets exceptionally creative. I appreciated how supportive her classmates
joyce w. laudon
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the givens of childhood seems to be the wish to be older, bigger or cleverer. If you know a child who has ever felt that way, read this story with them. It humorously acknowledges how frustrating being small can be...and the possible ways to get around that.

Tallulah wants to play the tuba but as can be seen from the book's cover and amusing illustrations throughout, she is too small. She tries to grow but can't make that happen fast enough. Watch as she inventively solves her dilemma.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What a wonderful book! Tallulah wants to play the Tuba. Her music teacher continues to tell her she is too small.
Tallulah is so determined to fix that! She eats well and exercises, but alas, she does not get bigger. Her teacher has her try other instruments, but none of them make the sound she wants to make with the tuba. Finally, she has an idea, and has found that she wasn't too small, the tuba was too big, but "She fixed that."

My 6 year old just loved this book! It has great illustrations
Matt & Sarah Dressler
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book with both my 6 year old, and my 9 year old jumped in to listen. It has a great message of perseverance and courage in the face of adversity. They both enjoyed the read and were happy with Tallulah's success. The book allows parents to open dialogue regarding skills, talents, and what to do if at first you don't succeed.

I highly recommend this book to parents of young elementary aged children, especially if they are musically inclined.
Hannah Crull-sher
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
With bright, eye catching illustrations and diverse characters, this is a perfect story for young children (especially preschool age) about overcoming challenges to achieve your dreams.

Tallulah Plays the Tuba is a really cute story of a small little girl who wants nothing more than to play the tuba, but it's too big. After trying a bunch of different things, she ends of planting the bottom half of the tuba in the garden outside the school, so she can reach it easily.
Stephanie Obrey
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an advanced readers copy from Netgalley and this in no way shapes or forms my opinion of the book.

Tiny Tallulah wants to play the tuba! Cute read about a little girl who will do anything it takes to make her dreams come true. She won't listen to anyone who tells her she can't do it. She will find a way! I gave the book 4 stars.
Leigh
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

I loved this book. Tallulah reminded me of a little girl I know, and I loved her determination. As a music teacher, I love that she worked so hard to play the instrument she really wanted to, and liked to that it was a tuba. This would be a great read during instrument sign ups. =)
2TReads
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is a great one to teach children the power of perseverance, giving it your all , and never giving up.
Tallulah is a great role model for all these attributes. She is determined to play the tuba in her school band, and does not let her small stature detract from her passion for playing the tuba.
A really great story, with a really inspirational message.
Aolund
An extremely cute (if a little hyperbolic) story about Tallaluh, who is so tiny she cannot join the school band and play the tubaeven though this is her biggest wish. The pacing is good, illustrations are simple and compelling, and even if goofy the story has a good message about perseverance and problem solving. Tallulah is depicted with light brown skin and curly brown hair.

Themes: Music
Stephanie Mendoza
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute book. Talullah was determined to play he favorite instrument. I admire how she believed by exercising and stretching she would grow enough to play the tuba. She was very creative in finding a solution to her problem. The artwork was beautiful. It was bright and colorful. I gave it 5 stars it teaches kids that perseverance and ingenuity can get you results.
Engel Dreizehn
ARC Copy...it was cute and it doesn't hurt the illustrations are beautiful too. You have to admire the protagonist for trying with all her zest and imagination on playing the one musical instrument she has set her heart to.
Lauren Paletta
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tallulah is persistent and never gives up. She was told she couldn't do something because she was too small. This doesn't stop her and she shows them that she can do anything she sets her mind to. Full of heart and strength!
#Netgalley
Tara
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review. I really loved this picture book about not giving up. A young girl wants to play the Tuba but she is so tiny that the Tuba is dangerous for her to play, but she doesn't give up.
Samantha Fraenkel
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, arc, picture-book
This is adorable. Loved this story about going for your dreams no matter how big they may seem; sometimes a little creative thinking will help get the job done! Great message and wonderful illustrations.

ARC Provided by NetGalley
Christina Miranda
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Persistence in children is good, but Tallulah in Tallulah Plays the Tuba takes it to a whole other level. The book is funny and endearing. The illustrations are lovely, but I think Mr. Greenwoods eyes could be more pronounced, at first glance, it looked like he didnt have them. ...more
Leah Horton
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Tallulah is a determined child who will stop at nothing to play the tuba. Even though she is told she is too little she thinks outside of the box and changes her perception when she realizes the tubs is too big.

Witty and fun this book was a delight to read.
Robin
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty good story about persistence and overcoming obstacles, but it loses oomph when in the triumphant illustration at the end, her fingers still can't reach the tuba valves. Recommended for music lovers and short people ages 5-7.
Mary Blair
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is just adorable!!!! Poor Tallulah so wants to play the tuba and it does not go well! I love her creativity and tenacity. All kids need to read a book like this!
Annese
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So charming!
Muhemed Masika
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura you must learn to take your time
To play the Tuba isn't a good read if your not enjoying yourself
Try letting the Tuba playing for you
You'll soon love the song
Tracie
Tiny Tallulah uses her creativity to convince the band teacher that she is just the right size to play the anything-but-tiny tuba.

• One Is a Lot (Except When It's Not)
  • Llamas with Lemonade: An Unusual Animal ABC
  • Saturday
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • Birdsong
  • One Wild Christmas
  • Classic Munsch Moods
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)
  • Mel and Mo's Marvelous Balancing Act
  • Hide-and-Seek: A First Book of Position Words
  • Across the Bay
  • Concierto de piano
  • The Old Truck
Tiffany Stone was born in Quebec and named after one of James Bonds girlfriends. When she was two, she travelled by train to British Columbia, where she has lived ever since.

Tiffany considers herself a word nerd and proudly admits that when she was young, she and her mum used to look up word origins in the dictionary for fun! Nowadays, she especially enjoys writing poems that rhyme and stories