Start by marking “Our Big Little Place” as Want to Read:
Our Big Little Place

Our Big Little Place

Big or small, apartment or house, they’re all home.

Come inside one boy’s high-rise apartment complex, where his backyard is the space between his neighboring apartment buildings, and his basketball net is tucked into a bedroom. His parents sometimes complain their home is too small, but the boy’s balcony view of the city and the extended play space of the hallways are a
Published September 10th 2019 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Big Little Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Big Little Place

Start your review of Our Big Little Place
La Coccinelle
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This book is basically a glorification of cramped apartment living, told from the point of view of a very small child. The parents are portrayed as wrong for wanting more space, simply because the kid doesn't see any need for it.

Well, a child this young wouldn't see anything wrong with a tiny space, even though it's so cramped that he gets bored, acts like a brat, and ruins the quality of life for his neighbours. I couldn't put my finger on how old this child was supposed to be. His voice in the
Etienne
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the art and at first the story which is about a child growing up in an apartment or condo and have to use it's imagination to enjoy his day to day, but then I realize their is a lot of things, in my opinion, wrong with the message it try to pass (the children do basically whatever he like, doesn't seem to care if it's bad for the neighbors or anything, their is a tons of cool inside hobby that just seem inexistent in his world, etc.).
The book has lovely pictures, and shows that the child int he story has a very active imagination, but I'm not sure what the whole point of the story is.

The child is bored and wants to play, and disrupts the lives of everyone one else around him, because of it.

What the size of the apartment has to do with any of this is unclear. The child has his own bedroom, with a window, so it can't be that small.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Deanna
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given an advance reader copy of this book.

It would be a very cute book for children living in an apartment. The main character, a little boy, has a huge imagination! He makes up all sorts of worlds to play on with his aunt and his parents. At the beginning the little boy hears his parents say that their home is very small - the rest of the book is essentially the little boy proving it’s not “small” at all. The illustrations in this book are incredible and very captivating.
OjoAusana
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
*received this from netgalley for honest review* Cute story of a kids view of life in an apartment, would be good for bedtime.
Amber Webb
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Our Big Little Place didn't really resonate with me. I feel as though it had potential for talking about big and small within the context of a big city and small apartment, but the book seemed somewhat unconnected and not really making a point or serving a great purpose. With some refining it could be a much better book.
Lacy
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yikes. I made the mistake of looking at other reviews before I wrote my own review. It dampened my mood after reading this delightful little book. *sigh*

I thought the book was wonderful. I laughed out loud a few times. There was so much imagination and diversity. Also, Pixel the cat, as a side character, still managed to be a star. So many children grow up in apartments. There is literally nothing they can do about it but also there's nothing wrong with it, either. Children adapt and learn so
Storywraps
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is told through the eyes of a little imaginative boy that lives in a very small place with his mom and dad. His backyard is a space between the high-rise buildings. He and his mom play basketball with a net that attaches to his bedroom door. They use a soft ball so nothing gets broken. His favourite game to play with his dad is hide and seek in the morning before dad leaves for work. To make it fair they must close the blinds and make the room dark because that makes it more ...more
joyce w. laudon
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This picture book has engaging illustrations that reflect the life and imagination of the child who lives in this apartment block. Children can look for the cat in many of the pictures; s/he is a charming addition to the story.

Lots of children live in houses, while many like our narrator, live in apartments. This little boy shows what fun it can be to have lots of neighbors, playgrounds and hallways to race in. There are also times when his parents think the apartment is too small and when he
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations and nice story about the power of imaginative play. I read it to my 5 year old daughter and 2 year old granddaughter and both girls loved it all the way to the end. Then they asked me to read it again. They loved looking for the cat who seemed to be their favorite. They laughed alot throughout the book.The author really did a great job! We hope to read more from this author. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the e-ARC and the opportunity to read this book. My review is ...more
Cat
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Young city apartment dwellers will probably relate to this. Tiny apartments can feel the right size to small children, but adults know those tiny apartments only get tinier as small children turn in to young adults! It must be fun to live in a big city tho! I liked this book, and enjoyed the illustrations! Make a nice gift for a young apartment dweller.

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Leah Horton
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Our BIg Little Place is a book about a child who lives in an apartment building. While it was cute, the story was so specific to apartment living that it just wasn’t for me or my kids.

It was interesting to see the imagination required when living in a small space (using a community park or the hallway).
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was nice getting a perspective of a kid who lives in the city. His parent's think their place is too small, but he tells all about the things they do for fun (going to the park, imaginative play, etc).
Hannah Crull-sher
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed the illustrations, but the story itself was lacking. I liked the idea of a story set in a small apartment, and I liked seeing the little boy use his imagination, but it was kind of long considering how little story there actually was.
Engel Dreizehn
ARC Copy...the illustrations were cute plus it was interesting to see how the imaginations of a young child coops-makes with being in a small space but same activities like messing up kitchen and racing in the hallways are very dubious as appropriate apartment behavior.
Donald Scott
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author James Conan's debut is a wonderful, lovingly illustrated picture book aimed at what you can do with a little effort and a big imagination. It focuses on an unnamed, biracial pre-school-aged boy who lives in a high-rise apartment in a big city, where his parents often comment on how small their apartment is, even as their young son disagrees. Though the balcony views of not just the world around him but the buildings and apartments of his friends nearby are enough for our boy to dream, he ...more
Ryan Borden
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is absolutely adorable. My 6 year old boy and 3year old girl loved it. Very cute.
Ann Santori
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really sweet little book with good racial diversity in main and background characters and (unusual still for picture books) urban setting. Good for a home-themed storytime. I received a free e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Teresa

• Tallulah Plays the Tuba
  • Llamas with Lemonade: An Unusual Animal ABC
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • My Kindergarten in 100 Words
  • How Do You Go to Sleep?
  • One Is a Lot (Except When It's Not)
  • Whizzy Wheels Academy: Dylan the Dump Truck