Start by marking “The Kosher Delhi” as Want to Read:
The Kosher Delhi

The Kosher Delhi

Vik is a twenty year old English boy of Jewish/Indian mixed heritage. He wants to become a chef, but his experiences of racism in restaurant kitchens hold him back.

Until he meets Yvonne: Scottish activist, hedonist, who strives vehemently for social justice. She shows Vik what he has been missing in life.

Vik is increasingly exposed to further bigotry, and witnesses homopho
Published August 1st 2019 by RedDoor Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Kosher Delhi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kosher Delhi

Format: Kindle ebook
Language: English
No. of pages: 320

My review:
As the book opens, we are introduced to Vikram Cohen, aka Vik, who is an aspiring chef, with Jewish-Indian roots and Yvonne, a Scottish woman and a very politically conscious activist. In the first few pages we see how a small argument becomes something bigger, culminating in a sort of accident which makes them run away to London.
Vik seems like a person wh
B
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's 1990s England where we are introduced to Vik an aspiring chef of Jewish- Indian heritage and Yvonne an outgoing activist and campaigner. During a heated moment they unwittingly cause an accident that leads them to flee Leeds to London. During their time in London we see their relationship together grow as well as seeing their own worlds develop, Vik in the resturant scene and Yvonne in the music scene.

Throughout this novel we see the ups and downs of their relationship, the bad and the ugl
Jade
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book kind of has everything I would go for: early 90’s setting, working in restaurants, riot grrrls, great music, coming of age, activism, and my home for longer than any other (NYC), and working in restaurants in NYC... I also found the writing style to be more memoir than fictional narrative, which often made me wonder if this was a true story or not, something that I kind of liked. I felt like I could hear Vik’s voice telling the story in my ear.

Set in the early to mid-1990’s in England
Janet
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

When you don't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

"If you ask me now if it was all worth it, would I do it all again, then I know I am supposed to say, ‘Yes! I wouldn’t chan
Cheryl Sokoloff
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was attracted to this book because of its unusual title, namely, the "kosher" part and, the play on the word "Delhi". As it turns out, the story is about so much more then a deli. It follows Yvonne, a Scottish want to be rockstar, and her beau, Vic, an aspiring chef, with Jewish Indian roots. While Vic has always been subject to a certain degree of discrimination because of his heritage, (and skin colour), he always chose to ignore the taunts as a way to keep the peace. Yvonne, from the outset ...more
Jennifer Cocks
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rereading it - I read it quickly and am now going back to read it more carefully. No spoilers but would really recommend it. Story of prejudice and as a result the protagonist has to come to terms with having to stand up and tackle racism.
Becky Dale
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit far fetched, but eminently readable
Maria
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story about the choices we took when we were young and the consequences that they have on the rest of our life.
The story is based in the early 1990; Vik and Yvonne were young and ready to jump to every adventure possible if it was together, but things were notas easy as it seemed in the beginning. Vik is Jewish/Indian and his dream is to become a chef but when she meets the activist and brave Yvonne he can not resist to follow her till the end of the world; until one fateful night that
Michelle B
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ivan Wainwright has written a fabulous debut novel. Vic is a young man growing up in Leeds whose life will never be the same again once he meets Yvonne. The two are very different; not only their backgrounds, but their personalities and whole values in life.
Vic’s father is Jewish from London and mother is Indian. Yvonne is white and from Inverness. Vic prefers to keep his head down and have an easy life, Yvonne thinks that everything should be challenged and believes in rights for all. What wil
Dora Okeyo
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there's a story that goes to show that people can indeed surprise you, then this right here would be one of those that I mention. We follow Vik and Yvonne from London to New York, and their struggles with finding meaning, acceptance and love in tumultuous times makes for an interesting read. However, what personally stood out for me was the growth that was evident in Vik's life and his perception of the racism and hurdles he encountered in his work. It's as engaging as it is melancholic, but ...more
Heather
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the first half of THE KOSHER DELHI, with its vivid descriptions of what it meant to be young and powerless in 1990s Leeds and London. There was a constant sense of tension, of disaster narrowly avoided, as the central characters navigate complex relationships and their efforts to find a place in the music and restaurant businesses. The decision to move to the US brings change for the young couple at the center of the novel, and the story became more predictable and less compelling for me ...more
Michael Toothill
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me The Kosher Delhi captures some of the realities about life and relationships and how our perception of ourselves can sometimes be clouded, holding us back from reaching our potential. Tough to see the reality in the moment, and it can take a crisis to shake us into clarity, but often life’s twists and turns can end up being incredibly empowering. The Kosher Delhi is an excellent read and I’m looking forward to Ivan’s next book in the series!
Annarella
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intriguing and entertaining story, well written and interesting.
The plot is well developed and flows without any issue, the cast of characters is well written, I fond Yvonne not always likeable and sometimes she grated on my nerves.
It's a book that is entertaining but gives you a lot of food for thought as well.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Louise
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very gripping read; once you start on this journey through the 90s, you'll find it hard to put the book down. Convincing characters, an unsettling glimpse into the bullying world of the kitchen, and the topics of racism and homophobia explored against a background of sex, drugs and not-quite rock-and-roll. A great summer read, that stays with you long after you reach the end.

Carla
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast- paced read with plenty going on - a good mix of politics, culinary content and relationship angst, with plenty of early 90’s cultural references. The frenetic and sometimes bullying atmosphere of a busy restaurant kitchen is very convincingly portrayed, as is the dilemma - familiar to many - of when to keep quiet and when to stand up for what’s right. Highly recommended.
Talli
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Kosher Delhi is an engaging, fun, but emotional read. The prose was a little stiff for my liking, but the imagery is fantastic, particularly when it comes to describing the food. Would recommend; even if you think this isn't up your typical alley, let yourself be surprised.
Cristie Underwood
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Gretel
Oct 04, 2019

• Never Greener
  • The World That We Knew
  • Saint X
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Apeirogon
  • It Started with a Secret
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • Papillon
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate, #2)
  • Restless
Ivan Wainewright lives in Kent (England) with his partner, Sarah and their slightly neurotic rescue dog, Remi. Before moving to Kent, he lived in North London, Leeds and Singapore.

When not writing, he can be found watching (and occasionally) playing football, running, listening to music from Chumbawamba to Led Zeppelin, arguing over politics and trying to cook. He has been an independent IT consul