Start by marking “The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)

The Queen's Gambit

(Rogue Queen #1)

4 hours, 14 minutes

When the Quint Confederacy and the Kos Empire went to war—again—young Queen Samara wisely kept her Rogue Coalition out of the conflict. But staying neutral in a galactic war doesn’t pay the bills, not when both sides refuse to trade with neutral sectors.

With her people on the brink of starvation, Samara hatches a daring plan to sn
Audiobook
Published May 31st 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published November 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Gambit, please sign up.
Rachel It's available for pre-order now. I think the release date is July 9, 2019.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Original rating (serial): 3.73896 stars.
New rating (book version): 2.96864 3 stars.

Okay. Until I read The Queen’s Gambit, my experience of online serials had been limited to the somewhat slightly awesome Innkeeper Chronicles. So when I read The Queen’s Gambit after its official release, I thought that one of these most unfortunate accidents must have happened:

a) I was drunk as a high-strung puffer fish when I read the online version.
b) I was drunk as a high-strung puffer fish when I read the final version.
c) I was drunk a high-strung puffer fish when I read both the online and final versions.
d) All of the above.

Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Ilona Andrews
1st read - March 2018
2nd read - August 2018

I first read The Queen’s Gambit when it was available on Jessie Mihalik’s blog as a free online serial and I enjoyed it enough that I purchased the final, edited version when it went on sale. The story was officially edited and expanded upon before official publication and I enjoyed the story as much, if not more, the second time around.

Samara is a great character, she’s the queen of a ragtag group of refugees and rebels who are living in the outer reaches/>2nd
Mimi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: MrsJoseph *grouchy*

This novella is fine for a short, self-published sci-fi romance that's light on the romance and heavy on the shooting. A bit like a direct-to-video version of Star Wars, which could be fun when you're in the mood for it. The prose, however, is too clunky and awkward in too many places for me, and the ending felt too abrupt. Also, I don't get the whole kings and queens in outer space either.

But the biggest hurdle for me was the awkwardness. There were too many times during the read tha
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/06/02/...

Sometimes you just need a break with something fun. Earlier this year, I had a great time with Jessie Mihalik’s Polaris Rising, a sci-fi romance featuring fast-paced action and political intrigue with just the right amount of hot, sexy passion. Needless to say, when an opportunity came up to check out the audiobook of The Queen’s Gambit—a novella which began life as a free serialized project on the author’s website but is now available in a single col
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really loved Mihalik's Polaris Rising so I had no hesitation in requesting The Queen's Gambit.  It is shorter but has the same feel I enjoyed in Polaris Rising.  The action is set in space and on planets involved in various disputes.  This novella was an online free serial on the author's site.

Samara leads a planet which trirequesting
Angela
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the serial format available online - will do a more full review when I read it again.

All in all, this was a fun sci-fi space romp. I love Samara. And I'm intrigued by Valentin. I can't wait to see where this goes from here! There's definitely some shady stuff going on, and I'm excited to see Samara get in the middle of it.

I especially loved how easy it was to visualize the advanced tech, world, and societies, how the problems and advantages of those advances were tho
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, sci-fi, novella
This was a sci.fi novella so things had to happen fast.

Samara is a queen (of course why no one just crushed her world in a day I do not know, it would be so easy). There are those who do not want to fight for the two other empires, and those who just want to escape.

Samara is tough as nails, dubious past, and was elected queen. And now she will save the emperor to get some money out of it, her people need food.

Valentin was, oh I liked him, I am sure he will be
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
4 Fun stars!

Cute little novella with a Queen who seems to like getting herself shot and a romance bubbling around the edges.

I'd recommend this for Ilona Andrews fans - with the understanding that this is a bit closer to the Innkeeper Chronicles that Kate Daniels. Which, when I think about it, makes sense. This, too, started (and will continue) as a free online serial that is pulled for later publish as a complete work.
Saly
I liked this novella. The heroine is a kick-ass & the story continues in the next novella.
Lola
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I have heard great things about Jessie Mihalik's books and had her books on my wishlist for a while. I am glad I finally got around to reading one of her books. After seeing a review for the audio version for The Queen's Gambit on a blogger's blog I decided to give this one a try in audio. I am glad I did as my ebook to-read list is much longer and who knows how long it would've taken me to finally pick it up.

The Queen's Gambit follows the story of queen Samara. She's the queen of th
Jai
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded this after reading The Kinsmen Universe by Ilona Andrews and saw the authors had recommended Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik for fans of Kinsmen. Well Polaris Rising isn't out yet but this novella is.

Glad I gave it a go, really liked the characters and fast pace in this, and the romance is rather sweet. The Insta-lust from the heroines pov made me worry I was going to read a story where things get physical really fast, but this didn't jump the gun like I feared. Will definitely be p
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted on Got Fiction?

After I read the Sci Fi Romance Polaris Rising, I dove right back in and read it again. I wanted more! Not just of that world, but of that author's writing. Luckily Jessie Mihalik has another book out. It's a novella that she serialized on her website, but is now complete. I really like this author's voice and style. I expect great things from her.

It starts out with a wild rescue mission that quickly turns to an escape mission. However the man she rescues is t
Bry
5 stars? Yeah, 5 stars. Dare I say even a new favorite.

Both the heroine and hero are smart, cunning, strong, kind, and responsible. The world is pretty fleshed out given the fact that this is a novella. The action scenes were on point. The political intrigue was totally believable.

All in all, I am pretty surprised and pretty happy! Granted I take any recommendation from Ilona Andrews pretty seriously, but I was still concerned given this and Polaris Rising are the author's first published works. Gotta say
Chachic
Originally posted on bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYxDK_ndCa/

I've been curious about Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik ever since I saw it recommended over at Ilona Andrews' blog, but it hasn't been released yet and I'm not sure if I want to pre-order it at a 9.99usd price point. So I decided to try The Queen's Gambit instead, since it's already available. My friend Janice enjoyed reading it so I was hoping I would as well.

I found The Queen's Gambit to be an overall fun sci-fi read, with interesting worldbuilding
Kerry
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story. I read this to try out the author while waiting for a copy of Polaris Rising from the library (since I object to paying more for an ebook edition that it costs for the paper copy and shipping from the US is ridiculous).

I enjoyed it very much and I'm delighted to see the author is writing a sequel novella as a serial on her website.

I recommend this and I'm sure Polaris Rising is good too, but I'll have to let you know when I've managed to read an affordable copy. (Rant
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
I quite liked this one. For someone looking for spacey/space opera scifi fiction at the moment, this fit right in.

PLUS it has a kickass heroine. Granted, I had my moments of eyerolling because of the cliched moments, and a heroine who had some near-mary sue moment(s).

BUT, on the whole it was enjoyable. Perhaps it was the chemistry between Samara and Valentin that I liked.

I suppose I also like the characters. Samara, like I said before is pretty kickass, and Valentin is clever as much as he is
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Science Fiction Romance fan
This meets all my requirements for a excellent science fiction romance story. You could take the romance out and still have a good story. The world building and backstory are layered throughout the story and do not block the flow of the plot. The plot includes wonderful characters whose development grow as the story unfolds. Both main and side characters have what it takes to keep the story moving. Hard to put down and even better this is book one in the series. Wish I did not have to wait for b ...more
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, sci-fi
This was great. Kind of like Ilona Andrew’s Innkeeper novels in how it is written in episodes and the next book continues the story. More novella, that entire book. Still, while I normally love a longer book, this was a total treat to read and seriously entertaining. Loved it. Onto book 2!!
Lexie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh heyyyy look another Mihalik SciFi romance (though admittedly this is lighter on the romance; it's kind of like Urban fantasy but SciFi. Not quite hardcore, but not quite romance). This is NOT, as far as I know, related to the Consortium series.

Quickly paced, rapid fire cleverness and a gal who is obviously descended from Ripley or Sarah Connor, all bow to Queen Samara Rani aka the Rogue Queen or Scoundrel Queen.

Duly elected by the people to be their leader in the 'vers
Lisa
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of Polaris Rising, so I had to check out this space opera romance novella by Jessie Mihalik as well. This was a fun book, and I loved the concept. I’m always for the girl having to go on and rescue the guy, even if she’s technically also kidnapping him. As far as the romance aspect of things, there’s an instant attraction, but the romance itself is a bit more slow burn. I love that they didn’t just jump right into a relationship which, politically, might be tough anyway given thei ...more
Tami
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3,5 stars.

It was a quick and entertaining read, but not even close to the author's other series (consortium).
It also had insta-attraction within the first few pages/meeting, so the romance part is not especially interesting.

With this book, the action kind of replaces the plot.

There is nothing beyond the blurb - Rogue Queen rescues/kidnapps Emporer, brings him to her planet for ransom. That's it. Some fighting. Some semi-interesting side-charact
Tandie
Excellent sci-fi space novella. The writing was impressive! Definitely checking out some of this author’s other books. Lots of action with a side of romance.
Ria
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, novella, space
Delightful! I'm very sad that this author doesn't have a more extensive back catalogue, but this novella was a wonderful treat to help me deal with my book hangover from Polaris Rising. A lot of back story is briskly dealt with, and I loved Samara and Valentin together, I'm glad we're getting more stories from this world.
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Rogue Queen #1
Rating: 3 stars - it was good

The Queen's Gambit was a pretty quick read, filled with lots of action and a variety of interesting technological advances. While we don't get a ton of background on the world there is just enough to keep things interesting and make it easy to understand what's going on.

My biggest reason for not rating higher is because the entire story is a telling of all of the action and fighting that's going on. There's very little internal thought, intro/>The/>
Shelly_lr
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story has some of the most awkward sentence structures and poorest word choices that I've read in months. "Adrenaline dripped through my veins." Dripped? That's the best verb she could think of to express tension? It's funny, my autocorrect changed that to ripped, like even it wanted a more appropriate word.

The author keeps starting sentences with things like "A few minutes later," (and then I did this) or descriptive phrases which while grammatically correct are awkward stylistically: "I w
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn't bad, it was just kind of weak. The plot was weak. The romantic development was weak. The world-building was a little less weak, but still not strong. It felt like someone had taken a knit comb to a full length novel and picked out everything that fleshes a story out. What we're left with instead is an unlikely couple who experience almost insta attraction, a galactic war in which the two largest, most powerful, wealthiest combatants can't swat a minuscule fly of a woman, political in ...more
Barbara
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this had been a little longer, but the author did quite a bit with what there is. When Queen Samara Rani hatches a plan to help her starving people by rescuing the kidnapped Emperor Valentin Kos from his enemies, and then ransoming him to the Kos Empire, things don’t exactly go as planned. Once the plan blows up in her face, she must team up with Valentin to get clean away from the Quint mercenaries who had captured him. The more time they spend together, the more the misconceptions they ...more
Katherine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space opera novella (can a novella be called a space opera?? is there an implication of length?) that's fast-paced and full of action. War, an evil confederacy, a potentially evil or maybe helpful empire, famine, kidnapping, ransom, and a coalition of thieves and pirates run by a non-hereditary queen. This is all excellent and my only complaint is I need MORE.

Samara is the queen of the Rogue Coalition (the aforementioned thieves and pirates). The war between the Quint Confederacy and the Kos Em
Emily
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, scifi
Liv
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, novella, romance
This book had a kickass heroine, who also happened to be the queen of an intergalactic haven called the Rogue Coalition, which basically took in refugees and misfits that the other universes didn’t want. Being poor, out of food and at risk of planet wide starvation, the queen, Samara, set out on a mission on her own to rescue Empire Kos’s emperor, Valentin. Valentin happened to be captured by an enemy confederate who had been at war with Kos for decades. Samara figured that she could try to get ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nightchaser (Endeavor, #1)
  • The Art of Deception
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)
  • Gods and Ends (Ordinary Magic #3)
  • Girl Gone Nova (Project Enterprise, #2)
  • The Kingpin of Camelot (A Kinda Fairytale, #3)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • Gaslight Hades (Bonekeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Kismet's Kiss (Alaia Chronicles)
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Trapped (The 1000 Revolution, #3)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Memories of Ash (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #2)
  • Shades of Honor (Anomaly #2)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)
Author of Polaris Rising, a romantic science fiction novel out now from Harper Voyager. For a peek at the first three chapters, visit my website. Aurora Blazing, the second book in the series, arrives in October! The first chapter is available!

Jessie Mihalik has a degree in Computer Science and a love of all things geeky. A software engineer by trade, Jessie now writes full time from her home in Texas. When she’s n

Rogue Queen (2 books)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)