Start by marking “Be Not Far From Me” as Want to Read:
Be Not Far From Me

Be Not Far From Me

The world is not tame.

Ashley knows this truth deep in her bones, more at home with trees overhead than a roof. So when she goes hiking in the Smokies with her friends for a night of partying, the falling dark and creaking trees are second nature to her. But people are not tame either. And when Ashley catches her boyfriend with another girl, drunken rage sends her running
Published March 3rd 2020 by Katherine Tegen Books

Start your review of Be Not Far From Me
Emily May
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The world is not tame"

Oh, I love opening a new Mindy McGinnis book! She is one of those authors that I can always rely on to try something new, never write the same book twice, and be just the right amount of evil. I have not loved all of her books - which is to be expected from an author who is constantly trying out different genres and themes - but I always get excited to see what she's writing next.

Also, I don't usually quote the author's description, but this just seemed to sum it all up:
Miranda Reads
description
Another Booktube video - this time all about the Top 10 Books of 2020 (so far) .

Now that you know this fabulous book made the list, check out the video to see the rest!
description

Because I was born with teeth and fingernails, and both of those were made for hanging on.
Ashley has always known how to survive - it was a necessity for the long winters with very little food - but that will be put to the test in a way even she could never imagine.
The world is not tame.
Ashley and a few friends were
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases
This was a hard read at times but I REALLY enjoyed it. Mindy McGinnis has a way of writing books about topics that I didn't think I would be interested in and making them new favorites of mine. This definitely won't be for everyone (especially if you do not like gore and descriptions of intense pain!), but it was very much for me.

TW: gore, hunting (for survival), death, cheating
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Youre not gonna believe this! I got an email this weekend titled: Good Samaritan and attached this books ePub file! HOLY SH... I mean holy shiitake pie🎊😂😂😂 read my previous entry below and by the way I may still accept any kind of goodness! My birthday is 21 days away! Mark your calendars on April Fools Day! ( I wish I was kidding but thats the day I was born and Im still pissed at my parents!!!)

Previous entry( before I got the email and my wish came true):

NEED. THIS. I don't want to sell my
Lola
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not what I expected from Mindy McGinnis. I read her The Female of the Species, really enjoyed it, and could not wait to dive into this one.

But it was so dull. Its hard to believe that a story about survival, getting lost into the woods and facing obstacles could be so uneventful. And predictable.

Its also very unoriginal. Ashley literally gets lost into the woods because she runs away from a scene she witnessed between her boyfriend and another girl. I understand how cheating can deeply
Michelle
DNF 43% - will not be included in my 2020 reading challenge.

I just can't spend another moment surviving in the wilderness with our MC, Ashley. It's been 4 days and I've got 11 more to go that I just can't muster the interest to trudge through.

I'll be honest, if the world goes to shit or if I'm in any situation that requires any sort of skill from me to survive, well, suffice it to say I'm a goner. I will be curled up in the fetal position waiting for death to take me. So I really can not
Kai
May 23, 2019 marked it as desperate-to-read
Mindy McGinnis can have all my money and by money I mean my soul and my meagre existence too
Chelsea
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its been a long time since Ive read a book that is hard to stomach. This one is not for the squeamish but its so dang good. If youre a fan of super realistic survival stories, this is Hatchet meets Castaway meets Into Thin Air. Every time I read a survival story I like to think I could do it all too until I reach a part of surviving where Im like nope...hard pass.

This follows Ashley who after partying pretty hard in the woods and stumbling across her boyfriend cheating on her, takes off running
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Book 2 of 30 for my 30 day reading challenge!

Basically this girl gets lost in the woods and has to survive and find her way back, but also ends up injured and has some gnarly experiences out in the elements. I thought the length of this was perfect at just over 200 pages, but I was kind of waiting for it to have that signature weird Mindy McGinnis quality that I've come to expect! This was as advertised, a mix between Hatchet and Wild- with the focus being perseverance and strength. I came to
karen
Apr 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
From the best-selling author of "Not a drop to drink" Mindy McGinnis comes a new contemporary book about a girl who gets lost in the woods.

mcginnis having brought The Female of the Species into the world means this tiny synopsis is all i need to know i need this.
Maryam🌻
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5✨ | 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙖𝙢𝙚.

Ill start off by saying that I was so not ready for this book. Damn what a freakin wild ride.

Whats this book about?
Ashley Hawkins considers the forest her home. When she goes partying with her friends in a secluded place near the forest and spots her boyfriend cheating on her, she runs in a drunken rage into the forest (after she punches him. go girl!). Normally, youd want to go the exact opposite way. But no. She goes running headfirst into the forest, hurts her
Trina (Between Chapters)
Read this in one night! If you love survival stories, this is a must read!

Audio rating: 5 stars, I love Brittany Pressley's work.

tw: cheating, gore, hunting (for survival), drugs & alcohol, abandonment.
Tucker
Apr 19, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
A girl lost in the woods? Interesting...... Creepy? We'll see.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Alaina
This was not a book to listen to while eating or drinking something delicious. Just saying.

Be Not Far From Me was a pretty good audiobook to listen to. I just wish I knew what I was walking into when I was making my breakfast this morning. Long story short, it had some disgusting scenes.. that made me want to throw up and not look at my food. That feeling passed rather quickly and then I was hungry again. Then a disgusting scene would sneak in and attack me and my stomach.

So, yeah I'm letting
Justine
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
My second book by McGinnis, my first being This Darkness Mine. She writes across genres, so I knew this one would be different in story type. Even so, Be Not Far From Me shares the same raw, unsettling, and revealing quality that This Darkness Mine had.

Engaging from start to finish, if a bit hard to read in parts.
rachel ☾
Sadie meets I Am Still Alive,, but not quite as good as either

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram
Neville Longbottom
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
For a survival story that has really high stakes I found this to be pretty boring and repetitive. Ashley and her friends are out drinking and camping in the woods. After she sees her boyfriend cheating on her, she drunkenly runs into the middle of nowhere. Seriously injured and alone, she now has to find her way back to civilization.

I was super invested in this story at the beginning, but as it went on I started to care less and less. Its a pretty short book, around 230 pages, but it felt like
Ellen Gail
Have you ever just been completely demolished by a book and loved every damn second of it?

Review to come.
Katelyn
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I dont like survival stories at all but I ate this one up!!

Ashley has always known how to survive, growing up poor she has to make long winters with very little food.

Ashley and a few friends decided to go camping in the woods which was going good at first until Ashley catches Natalie and her boyfriends hooking up. She doesnt think, she just runs in the woods while drunk.

Ashley falls down a ravine. I give it three days, maybe more before connections are made and everyone realizes I'm still in
Dannii Elle
Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Not gonna lie, I'd probably make a deal with the devil to get my hands on this book early!
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
One of the great things about living where I live is that the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) is basically our backyard. As such, when the weather's nice, we like to go hiking and get outside whenever we can. I spent this book wondering what might happen to Doc and I if we ever ended up off-trail. Between his (usually better than mine) sense of direction and the fact that the CVNP is basically smack in the middle of civilization, I think we'd do okay. The Smoky Mountains are a whole 'nother ...more
Catie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-in-2019
There's no doubt that this book is a thrilling page turner. I stayed up waaaay too late into the wee hours finishing this because I could. not. put. it. down. It has a smart, ruthless heroine whose dogged determination to survive is riveting from page one, and of course Mindy McGinnis's portrayal of the woods is frightening and gritty in all the best ways.

However, it also has to be said that this book has some really bizarre scenes. Part of the reason that I could not put this down was because I
 LEAH⇢
MY RATING⇢ 4.25 ✰STARS✰

BOOK TAGS⇣

A CHEATING BOYFRIEND...A DRUNKEN FALL DOWN A RAVINE LOST & HUNGOVER WITH A VERY BROKEN FOOT GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF SURVIVAL LIFE REFLECTIONS

MY THOUGHTS⇣

A gruesome tale of survival, filled with misadventure and ruminations about life. I haven't listened to a Mindy McGinnis book, yet, that I didn't enjoy. Her books are so varied and move between genres seamlessly. So far, I've consumed a dystopian duo about water shortage, and a stand-alone about heroin
Helen Power
Synopsis
When Ashley and her friends decide to spend the night camping in the vast wilderness outside their small town, she has no idea whats in store for her. After a horrible fight with her boyfriend, she runs away from the group, falling and seriously injuring her foot. She soon realizes that her friends thought she went home. They won't be looking for her. Ordinarily, shed be fineshes a survivor. But shes far from the path markings and her foot is getting worse and worse by the hour. Does
Madison Mary
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Living things will fight to stay that way"

Mindy McGinnis hits it out of the park again with her gritty new novel about a girl fighting for her life in the Smokies.

SUMMARY
When Ashley went hiking with her friends in the Smokies for an overnight trip to celebrate their senior, the last thing she expected was to stumble upon her boyfriend cheating on her. Drunk and upset, she runs into the night. When morning light appears, Ashley is alone in the middle of the forest with nothing but the clothes
Stacee
This synopsis absolutely sucked me in. Ive read a few Mindy books and they always make me have a reaction, so I couldnt resist.

I liked Ashley. Shes a bit rough around the edges and rightfully so. I loved how much she loved and respected the woods and was a bit in awe of how much she had her shit together. There are a few other character, but this story is 100000% all Ashley.

Plot wise, it was interesting. The entire story is basically a running inner monologue and while things did get a little
Mandi1082
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Be Not Far From Me is about Ashley who goes on a camping trip with some friends. Ashley finds out something that sends her running into the woods where eventually she gets lost and fighting for her life. This is typical Mindy McGinnis where there are some weird unexpected parts but overall enjoyed this story of survival.
TraceyL
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I hated this main character and wanted her to die. I hated the writing. The only reason I'm not giving this 1 star is because it did make me want to find out the end enough to finish the book.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)

THIS was where I parked my car. I *love* survival stories and this was marvelous.
Angela Cuéllar
Be not far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help

Psalm 22:11

Okay wow. Mindy McGinnis is an insta-buy author for me and so I was beyond ecstatic when a librarian who remembered this gave me an ARC so I could read her latest book early. I am absolutely not surprised one bit by how gripping Be Not Far From Me was. I read the entire thing in a swift few hours (not difficult since it's less than 300 pages, but it's really the story that had me flipping pages at lightning speed). Is it

• All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • Nothing to See Here
  • What I Carry
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Furious Thing
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Not So Pure and Simple
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Every Other Weekend
  • The June Boys

Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning novelist who writes across multiple genres, including post-apocalyptic, historical, thriller, contemporary, mystery, and fantasy.

While her settings may change, you can always count on Mindys books to deliver grit, truth, and an unflinching look at humanity and the world around us.

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...
“Living things will fight to stay that way.” 2 likes