Start by marking “Be Not Far From Me” as Want to Read:

Be Not Far From Me

Hatchet meets Wild in this harrowing survival story from Edgar Award-winning author Mindy McGinnis.

The world is not tame.

Ashley knows this truth deep in her bones, more at home with trees overhead than a roof. So when she goes hiking in the Smokies with her friends for a night of partying, the falling dark and creaking trees are second nature to her. But people are not
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Katherine Tegen Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Hatchet meets Wild in this harrowing YA survival story about a teenage girl’s attempt to endure the impossible, from the Edgar Award-winning author of ...more

Format: Print book

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Be Not Far From Me
    Lola
    Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
    This is not what I expected from Mindy McGinnis. I read her The Female of the Species, really enjoyed it, and could not wait to dive into this one.

But it was so dull. It’s hard to believe that a story about survival, getting lost into the woods and facing obstacles could be so uneventful. And predictable.

It’s also very unoriginal. Ashley literally gets lost into the woods because she runs away from a scene she witnessed between her boyfriend and another girl. I understand how cheating can
    Chelsea
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book that is hard to stomach. This one is not for the squeamish but it’s so dang good. If you’re a fan of super realistic survival stories, this is Hatchet meets Castaway meets Into Thin Air. Every time I read a survival story I like to think I could do it all too until I reach a part of surviving where I’m like nope...hard pass.

This follows Ashley who after partying pretty hard in the woods and stumbling across her boyfriend cheating on her, takes off
    karen
    Apr 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    From the best-selling author of "Not a drop to drink" Mindy McGinnis comes a new contemporary book about a girl who gets lost in the woods.

mcginnis having brought The Female of the Species into the world means this tiny synopsis is all i need to know i need this.
    Kai
    May 23, 2019 marked it as desperate-to-read
    Mindy McGinnis can have all my money and by money I mean my soul and my meagre existence too
    Julie Zantopoulos
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, 2020, read-in-2020
    This is not an easy read (no Mindy McGinnis novel is) but just like her others it is so well done. A lot is unpacked in this novel but what we're really doing is following Ash who stumbles off into the woods after finding her boyfriend cheating on her at a party in the forest. I'm talking deep woods, like hike for hours in deep woods party. And the survival situation I'm talking about is a really intense one far away from any possibility of help. A lot goes through ones mind when alone with ...more
    Tucker
    Apr 19, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    Shelves: reviewed
    A girl lost in the woods? Interesting...... Creepy? We'll see.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
    rachel ☾
    Sadie meets I Am Still Alive,, but not quite as good as either

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I. NEED. THIS. I don't want to sell my kidneys. I wish I found it left at my door by a great Samaritan!
    Dannii Elle
    Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Not gonna lie, I'd probably make a deal with the devil to get my hands on this book early!
    Catie
    Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: ya, read-in-2019
    There's no doubt that this book is a thrilling page turner. I stayed up waaaay too late into the wee hours finishing this because I could. not. put. it. down. It has a smart, ruthless heroine whose dogged determination to survive is riveting from page one, and of course Mindy McGinnis's portrayal of the woods is frightening and gritty in all the best ways.

However, it also has to be said that this book has some really bizarre scenes. Part of the reason that I could not put this down was because I
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss
    3.5/ 5 stars

Be Not Far From Me is a Young Adult contemporary survival story. This is my fifth book by this author. I have previously read: The Female of the Species, A Madness So Discreet, This Darkness Mine, and Heroine.

The author is known for writing unique stories. And this one is no exception.

This book is divided into three parts. And the chapters are divided by days. The narrator is Ashley (1st person POV). It is the beginning of summer vacation. She will be a high school senior the
    Jordaline Vulva
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
    *I recieved this ARC from the publisher for an honest review.
    This was good. Its certainly entertaining. The writing is simple to get through, the characters straight forward, the plot moved well.
    However, nothing about it felt special to me. The characters felt like people I've already read about. The plot something I've seen done before.
    I didnt dislike it, but I didnt love it either.
    I kept feeling like McGinnis was going only half way with the more gruesome aspects on the novel. It felt as
    Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
    Be not far from me,
    for trouble is near
    and there is no one to help

Psalm 22:11

Okay wow. Mindy McGinnis is an insta-buy author for me and so I was beyond ecstatic when a librarian who remembered this gave me an ARC so I could read her latest book early. I am absolutely not surprised one bit by how gripping Be Not Far From Me was. I read the entire thing in a swift few hours (not difficult since it's less than 300 pages, but it's really the story that had me flipping pages at lightning speed). Is it
    Jaye Berry
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: ebooks, contemporary, 2020, ya
    TW: animal death, human death, dismemberment; cursed descriptions all around

I should probably let this sit for longer before reviewing but I don't have time for that so let's get in this. I absolutely loved Heroine and The Female of the Species by this author but besides those, her books are a hit or miss for me. This one was kind of in the middle.
    "'Be not far from me,'" I say. "'For trouble is near and there is no one to help.'"
    This book follows a girl named Ashley who ends up lost in the
    Parker Jensen
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
    The first 26 pages included the "I'm not like other girls trope" (Unchecked), slut shaming (Unchecked), immediate girl hate (Unchecked), shaming of other girls for liking makeup and possessing other "feminine" traits (Unchecked), and other annoying sexist tropes. The main character goes through a lot and has a bit of a change of heart but not really on any of these issues. She actually goes on to slut shame another girl late in the novel as well as shame her for having a teen pregnancy all while ...more
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    come on Mindy how many great-sounding books that'll probably be about girl agency can you release??
    Kelly
    The title of this book is inspired by Psalm 22, which is the verse prior to the one everyone seems to know. And that’s the most apt metaphor for what this book is, as well as who Ashley, our main character, is too.

Ashley is the main character in this story, and she’s got a hard and sharp edge to her. She’s a little rough, a little tumble, and she grew up with her father after her mom abandoned the family. They make due in a trailer, with very little money. It’s a small town in Tennessee and
    Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
    Thank you HarperCollins and Katherine Tegen for the ARC.

Oh, yes. Another creepy and twisted book by Mindy McGinnis. My body is ready.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
    Nada Hosny
    Jun 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
    can you just take ma money, pulleaaaseee?
    Helen Power
    Synopsis
    When Ashley and her friends decide to spend the night camping in the vast wilderness outside their small town, she has no idea what’s in store for her. After a horrible fight with her boyfriend, she runs away from the group, falling and seriously injuring her foot. She soon realizes that her friends thought she went home. They won't be looking for her. Ordinarily, she’d be fine—she’s a survivor. But she’s far from the path markings and her foot is getting worse and worse by the hour.
    Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
    I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you kindly to Katherine Tegan Books for my review copy.

There were a few things that didn't sit right with me. I will say that this was objectively a good survival story (with some gruesome scenes -- definitely a trigger warning for bodily horror and mutilation), but I felt it lacked some... substance? Maybe. IDK. Review to come.
    Megan
    Into the Wild meets Winter's Bone
    This would have been a five-star book for me, but for a few major problems. The story is so unrealistic to the point of distraction. I have issues with some of the plot points and the ending is wrapped up too quickly and neatly. Otherwise, it's a thrilling read of survivalist fiction that pulls from some of humanity's deepest fears.

It's disgusting and I love it.
    Jerico
    Extending my deepest gratitude to Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review. However, this does not affect any opinions or feedback stated concerning the book whatsoever.

TW: Death, body part dismemberment, obscenity, graphic depictions of some grisly stuff

5 'completely stunned and gasping for air' stars!

FRTC upon its official release.

This was my 2nd Mindy McGinnis book that I flew through rather quickly than I imagined I would and surely, it
    Alison (Story-eyed Reviews)
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites, edelweiss
    hualian love machine
    More Mindy McGinnis? Yes, please!
    Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
    Fun fact: By now, I'm pretty sure I'd be intrigued by any premise of any book this woman writes.
    Lisa Buffi
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I stumbled upon Mindys work about a year or so ago and I’ve just devoured everything that she’s written. This book is no different. Be Not Far From Me is excellent and so suspenseful I could have probably read it in one sitting.
    Beth
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: read-ya
    If you're squeamish about blood this is not the book for you, but otherwise it's a real page turner. Outdoor enthusiast Ashley is camping with friends when she catches her boyfriend with another girl. Storming off into the woods drunk and alone she severely injures herself and must survive, by any means neccessary.
    Alicia
    Holy smokes! It certainly moves at a clip and like any well-plotted thriller, the days tick away with each new chapter and the time is running out. Ashley has always been good at being kick-ass both because she can hold her own physically (even punching a boy out who dropped a frog into a fire at a camp when she was younger) but also being raised by a no-frills dad when her mom abandoned the family. She's a girl who can manage on her own and manage she does when she completely mutilates her foot ...more
    Rox
    Jan 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-release
    I was already invested in this book because of the author, but now it's being compared to WILD?! Take my money now.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
    • Almost American Girl
    • All Your Twisted Secrets
    • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
    • Jane Anonymous
    • Dark and Deepest Red
    • If These Wings Could Fly
    • My Eyes Are Up Here
    • Not So Pure and Simple
    • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)

Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning novelist who writes across multiple genres, including post-apocalyptic, historical, thriller, contemporary, mystery, and fantasy.

While her settings may change, you can always count on Mindy’s books to deliver grit, truth, and an unflinching look at humanity and the world around us.