Start by marking “Truth Has a Power of Its Own: Conversations about A People's History” as Want to Read:
Truth Has a Power of Its Own: Conversations about A People's History

Truth Has a Power of Its Own: Conversations about A People's History

Never before published, an extraordinarily inspiring and radical conversation between Howard Zinn and PBS/NPR journalist Ray Suarez, wherein American history is turned upside down—published to coincide with the tenth anniversary of Zinn’s death

Truth Has a Power of Its Own is an engrossing collection of never-before-published conversations with Howard Zinn, cond
Published September 3rd 2019 by The New Press

To ask other readers questions about Truth Has a Power of Its Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth Has a Power of Its Own

Betsy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A TL;DR of A People's History

I requested this title on NetGalley as soon as I saw it because I have a soft spot for Howard Zinn. After all, reading A People's History of the United States is partially responsible for turning me into the "dirty liberal hippie" I am today ;)

A TL;DR of A People's History

Truth Has a Power of Its Own: Conversations about A People's History is like a TL;DR of A People's History. It's a whirlwind tour through Zinn's version of US history, which questions American exceptionalism and the "great man" narratives that dominate US classrooms. While A People's History is a hefty tome, this "conversation" is like its highlight reel.

As another Goodreads reviewer noted, most of the questions posed are softballs and/or leading questions. I would have liked Suarez to probe Zinn's thinking more fully or ask him to respond to counterarguments. That would have lent something new to the text that readers of A People's History haven't already heard.

One thing to note while reading is that these conversations took place in 2007. While some of Zinn's ideas about economic inequality sound like common progressive talking points today, they sounded revolutionary just a little over a decade ago. Zinn died in 2010, but I can't help but wonder what he would have to say about what's happened to the United States between 2007 and today.

Four stars for Truth Has a Power of Its Own, an easy-to-read primer on Zinn's A People's History.

Thanks to NetGalley and The New Press for giving me a DRC of this book, which will be available for purchase on September 3rd.
David Wineberg
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Truth Has A Power Of Its Own is a funny kind of derivative book. Ray Suarez interviewed Howard Zinn about his book A People’s History of the United States. Instead of issues, Suarez seems to have asked questions in the chronological order of Zinn’s book, from the founding to the present. They are all soft questions that Zinn could answer without having to pause, basically putting points from his book in other words. Suarez did not challenge Zinn, point out a weakness or a contradiction or ask fo ...more
Niklas Pivic
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is based on the transcripts of conversations between Howard Zinn and Ray Suarez that took place in 2007.

Opening statement: I’ve yet to read A People’s History of The United States. Does that matter when reading this book? I can’t tell, and I know that’s a good thing.

I have read and heard many of Zinn’s speeches and read some of his writings. To say he’s influential is a severe understatement; Noam Chomsky is one of his main supporters, and a close friend, which
Jessica ☕
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction, arc
Never before published Howard Zinn? Yes, please.

I first discovered Howard Zinn in my early teenage years and his philosophy of looking at American history through alternative lenses really resonated with me. I daresay I am a kinder and more empathetic person, and certainly a more critical thinker, because of Dr. Zinn.

So this interview, while it doesn't include any groundbreaking or new viewpoints, was a welcome read. It is a goo
Elizabeth Burton

Historian Howard Zinn (1922-2010) qualifies as a cultural icon, and as is usually the case that means there are likely as many people who hate him as consider him a hero. His seminal overview of American history, A People’s History of the United States, and its sequel, A Young People’s History of the United States, is either considered desperately needed to counter the accepted narrative on the subject or distorted and misleading propaganda, depending on whom you talk to.
“In the nearly forty years since the/>
“In
Andrea
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This book is based on a set of edited 2007 interviews between Howard Zinn and Ray Suarez. Howard Zinn was a premier historian of American history and labeled as anti-American by his adversaries. He's particularly well known for A People's History of the United States, which documents first contact with Europeans through the 20th century from the point of view of the oppressed, with an emphasis on civil rights and labor history. This was my senior year history textbook, and I'm grateful for Mr. Zinn (no ...more
Russ K
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.

It’s a casual read that summarizes and emphasizes the points that Zinn made in the past. The topics meander along the past 500 years or so, more or less in chronological order.

I wasn’t sure if publishing this was necessary, but the more I read the more I realized how Zin is still relevant. These interviews were from 2007, and they cover the same ideas of protest, taxation, and healthcare that are in the mainstream political conversa
Jeannine
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, history, politcs
Since I read Howard Zinn’s A People’s History many years ago and had my eyes opened I have been a fan of his writing. I jumped at the chance to read the ARC copy of Truth Has a Power of it’s Own. As other reviewers have said the content is not fresh but is similar to what has been written before. It might, as a slimmer volume, be a great introduction to those who are new to Zinn’s writing. This or other of his work ought to be read by every college student to balance out the varying degrees of w ...more
Jen
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! A wide ranging interview with Howard Zinn and his analysis of US History, true heroes, and glossed over events in America’s history. Oddly uplifting, the message is in the power of people to organize and hold government to its ideals (since they won’t do it themselves) and the power of truth. Recommended for every citizen!
Rachel Parrott
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
These interviews provide a brief, sweeping look at history of the United States (earlier as well) with Zinn as our tour guide and clarion call to learn more of our complex history and therefore better able to build our future together.

My copy was a gift through Goodreads First Reads.
Marvin
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gives readers insights in the inner workings of the mind of one of America's foremost historians and critical thinkers, the late, great Howard Zinn. In "Truth Has a Power of Its Own" Zinn's provocative conversations with Ray Suarez challenge us to take a second, third and maybe even fourth look at the US and the world that we think we know. Zinn speaks about history and foreign policy with such an ease and candor that it doesn't feel too academic or heavy. Reading these conversations m ...more
Doris Moore
Julie Oxendale
Mars
Nancy Adams
Jun 23, 2019
Howard Zinn was a historian, playwright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker and a bombardier with the U.S. Army Air Force in Europe during the Second World War before he went to college under the GI Bill and received his Ph.D. from Columbia University.

Zinn taught at Spelman College and Boston University, and was a visiting professor at the University of Paris and the University of Bolo