Start by marking “Voyage of the Pequod” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Pequod

Voyage of the Pequod

Commissioned to hunt down straggler MICs (Mechanized Intelligence Cruisers) in the outer reach of the great Commonwealth, the starship Pequod sets sail only to find out their captain has his own agenda.

Published May 24th 2019 by E.B. Dawson

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Pequod, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Pequod

Start your review of Voyage of the Pequod
Deborah O'Carroll
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Moby Dick in space. That idea is as perfect as it sounds and YOU NEED IT IN YOUR LIFE. *collapses* I’m not even as familiar with the original Moby Dick story as I could be, and sci-fi isn’t my usual genre, but I absolutely adored this short story! I suppose I knew enough to appreciate it as a retelling (though others might appreciate it more), but either way it was a brilliant story and totally captured me. I was instantly absorbed in this unique and fascinating tale. Electronic space wh ...more
Kyle
Out of all the stories to be retold, Moby Dick is one of the few I'm not likely to enjoy. I do love the theme of maritime adventure, but I'm not a big fan of anything having to do with whaling. That said, could it be possible to retell this classic in such a way that all of the great atmosphere is retained without any of the drawbacks?

It is. And E.B. Dawson has done it perfectly. Plus, her version of the story takes place in SPACE. Space improves everything.

This is a terrific introduction to a u
E.B. Dawson
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
One of my favorite things that I have ever written. This novelette combines the wonder of space exploration with the haunting themes of Herman Melville's classic novel. Ahab takes center stage in all his flawed, charismatic glory. His character is contrasted by the unflinching loyalty of his first mate, Starbuck. And the epic struggle between hunter and hunted is transferred from man vs. beast to man vs. machine.

It was a privilege to write.
Hannah Heath
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO good! RTC.
Grace Crandall
I think this was possibly one of the most inventive and enthralling short stories I’ve ever read. The way Dawson combines the organic seafaring feel of Moby Dick with a science fiction world full of spaceships, machines, and cyberpunk-esque moral questions of what constitutes sentience is fascinating and a real joy to read.

The story begins at the end of a war and the outset of a voyage. Humanity has conquered the Machines—save for a few straggling creatures floating out in space, still programm
J.E.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not even have words for how incredible this short story is.
I think every new short story I read by E.B. Dawson is my new favorite, but I can say... this is my new favorite.
The texture and depth of the world-building is so alive and vivid. Everything was so expertly woven in. It felt old and textured, like I had been given a window into another world that had been existing alongside ours for so long.
Basically, this books is pure awesomeness. Especially if you are a great lover of classi
Beth Wangler
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone; fans of Moby Dick; fans of sci-fi; fans of classics

Voyage of the Pequod is a short story sci-fi adaptation of Moby Dick.

If that idea sounds strange, let me pose it this way: Space whales. Hardy, well-seasoned spaceship crew. Breathtaking panoramas of vibrant galaxies. Thoughtful, unhurried portraits human nature.

In short, "Voyage of the Pequod" is everything you desperately wanted from sci-fi, and even several wonderful things you never dared dream of.

If I'm being honest, I've been feeling rather let down by sci-fi recently. I've been bored b

Katelyn Buxton
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As others have said, Voyage of the Pequod shines in its beautiful male/male friendships, breathtaking intergalactic panoramas, and and inventiveness in its approach to a retelling of one of the most well-known classics. Having read Moby Dick myself, I have to admit I was a little worried when I heard that Dawson would attempt to fit Melville’s 200,000-word epic into the confines of a short story... but I shouldn’t have worried! Dawson is a master at creating vibrant story-worlds in just a few wo ...more
Joseph Leskey
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
This is an absolutely phenomenal narrative. And, to think, I don't know that I have ever said to myself, "Fellow, I can see your problem – you've never read a Moby Dick retelling set in space."

The characters, the setting, and the plot come together to form an absolutely remarkable experience, amplified by an extreme fluidity of writing that generates a rather pressing desire bordering on an intellectual requisite for a sequel of literally any shape or size.
Hope E
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story...wow. It was enthralled from the very first page. I loved the descriptions of New Bedford Harbor and of the starship Pequod. It was all so interesting and unusual.
The old-fashioned narration was brilliant, and despite the story's short length, the characters were all thoroughly developed: David, the newbie who's never been into void space before; Ishmael, the shipman with years of experience and plenty of exaggerated stories who takes him under his wing; Starbuck, the careful first
Erin Dydek
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phoenix-fiction

I’m not very familiar with the original story of Moby Dick, but I was vaguely aware of an obsessive captain’s quest to hunt down the giant white whale. I highly enjoyed visualizing this quest in a futuristic space story. E. B. Dawson’s writing remains vivid and engaging throughout the retelling, and we get to see the tension between Ahab and Starbuck escalate as their loyalty and trust in each other is tested. There wasn’t anything I disliked about the story, but I still liked her Lost Empire se
Bethany Fehr
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the coziest sci-fi story I've ever read. I want more of this awesome blend of modern and classic literature!

I love how Dawson melds 19th century culture, style, and vocabulary with a high-tech sci-fi setting. The writing bears all the charm of a classic while still appealing to modern readers: the author is not afraid of taking time to dwell on details and describe the scenery and characters at a leisurely pace, yet the story is much more streamlined than Melville's writing. The style gi
Janelle Garrett
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

Hello, beautiful cover! <3

This short story delivers in typical Dawson fashion. I'm not usually fan of retellings, but the author manages to capture the essence of the original with new ideas and a fresh take that is both respectful of the older version yet adds a newness that is refreshing.

Similar to Moby Dick, there is a crew of sailor-talking men who have a sort of awe-inspiring view of Captain Ahab, and his obsession with a ship/alien/other entity (one thing I wish had been more cle
Phil
Bethany Tillerson
Jun 18, 2019
R.M. Archer
Oct 06, 2019

• Sounds of Deceit (The Terebinth Tree Chronicles #3)
  • Strayborn (Draev Guardians, #1)
  • Irellia the Night Walker (The Firstborn's Legacy: Steward Stories, #3)
  • The Geppetto Codex (Beaumont and Beasley, #5)
  • Not Write Now: A How-Not-To Guide for Writing Fiction
  • Colors of Fear (The Terebinth Tree Chronicles #1)
  • Of Myth and Monster
  • Antiheroes
  • Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • Flames of Courage (The Terebinth Tree Chronicles #2)
  • Deadwood (Crockett and Crane, #2)
  • Where the Woods Grow Wild
  • The First of Shadows (The Riven Realm #1)
  • The Weavers' Blessing
  • The Temple Builders (The Firstborn's Legacy: Steward Stories, #2)
  • Skies of Dripping Gold
  • Hollow (Crockett and Crane, #2.5)
  • The Magician's Daughter: The Sun and Moon Book 2
I grew up in Southeast Asia. My first experience with America was when I was six years old. Sometimes I amuse my friends by telling them stories of my first impressions of this country (clean bathrooms, Toy Story, Taco Bell, getting lost in department stores).

My family moved to California when I was eleven and completely changed the course of my life. On the outside I'm a well-adjusted American a