Start by marking “The Work of Art” as Want to Read:
The Work of Art

The Work of Art

An Uncommon Beauty...

Hidden away in rural Devonshire, Phyllida Satterthwaite has always been considered more odd than beautiful. But in London, her oddity has made her a sensation. Far worse, it's caught the eye of the sinister Duke of Moreland--a notorious art collector obsessed with acquiring one-of-a-kind treasures. To escape the duke's clutches, she's going to need a l
Published July 23rd 2019 by Perfectly Proper Press

To ask other readers questions about The Work of Art, please sign up.
Mimi Matthews I don't plan on writing a book for the Duke. He's not really hero material!

Start your review of The Work of Art
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
SWEET, HEARTFELT AND WONDERFUL 🌷🌷

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a soft spot for historical romance. Therefore, it is unusual for me to find an author, I didn't know about in advance. With Mimi Matthews that was the case - but now I want to read more from her hand because this was just wonderful!

"Without a pitying look or a word of sympathy, Miss Satterthwaite had lent him her support. And she'd done it in just such a way as to spare his foolish pride."

THE THINGS I LIKED

Philly
OLT
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's becoming harder and harder to find really good freshly-written HRs. A shame, because HRs are my chosen escape-from-reality read, something I'm needing more and more lately whenever I crawl out from under that rock where I've been hiding to escape the never-ending depressing news cycles. So hallelujah, and thanks, Ms Matthews. For a brief moment I was lost in the world of a delightful Regency romance, with really charming main characters and a heartwarming love story.

The plot is not anything
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Heartfelt stars!
This cover is gorgeous! ♥️♥️♥️
This was such a romantic story that I can’t quit smiling. I LOVED it! This book made me so happy that I’ll be thinking about it for weeks. Mimi Matthews is one of my favorite authors and I get so excited when she writes a new book. *SIGH*
It’s about a lady and her pets and a gentleman who was wounded in the war. Both are lost in their new surroundings and became friends under the most unlikely circumstances. Their story is very, very swe
Mo
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one ... You know, it didn't have the real drama that I usually love in my Historicals. It didn't have the overbearing ass of a hero ... the brooding Mr Darcy or the Westmoreland I know and love so well... a returned war hero and a strong heroine were enough to carry this story for me.

"Arthur Heywood is the second son of the Earl of Gordon. He was horribly hurt in the war."

An "injured, tortured" hero ... one of my favourites themes.

Arthur had never seen her look so vulnerab
Karen
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

“You’re so perfect that, when I look at you, I can scarcely believe you’re mine.” His voice roughened with tenderness. “But you are mine. By whatever miracle. And though I’m unworthy now, if it takes the rest of my life, I will endeavor to deserve you.”

LOVED LOVED LOVED this!!! Such a sweet romance. Two characters that I just adored. Of course there were the occasional moments of stupid misunderstanding, but they were indeed short-lived. Thank goodness. There was also a hint o
Shawna
4.5 stars - Regency Historical Romance

This is a touching, heartwarming, and beautifully tender slow-burn historical romance between a kind heroine and an honorable emotionally and physically scarred and disabled war hero both in need of saving. I've read and enjoyed every romance by Mimi Matthews, and The Work of Art is my favorite. I listened to the audiobook, and Alex Wyndham did a great job with the narration.
Amy Bruno
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mimi Matthews has done it again! With every new book of Mimi's that I read, I think to myself, clearly, she can't top this one...and yet, she does. Every dang time!

The Work of Art is actually one of Mimi's earliest books but was never released until now. It makes me so sad to think of this beautiful book sitting all alone, but now it's getting the love it deserves and I could not be more thrilled for that.

When Phyllida Satterthwaite's beloved grandfather and only guardian passes away, her Uncle
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I've only recently discovered the stories of Mimi Matthews and I can't read them fast enough! I was thrilled to see that a new one was releasing this summer. I loved the vivid characters and the unique plot that made the story fresh and interesting. Marriage of convenience is one of my favorite tropes, and this one did not disappoint! There is an element of suspense as Arthur protects Philly from her mercenary uncle and the eccentric duke, which only continues as the danger follows them to their ...more
Christina
Easy to recommend this soon-to-be released Regency Romance by Mimi Matthews. Chocked full of characters I liked very much—an animal-loving yet orphaned female protagonist and the injured war hero meet in London where her greedy uncle is trying to marry her off to one of the richest yet mysterious men in England. What a page turner as Philly and the captain elope and escape to his estate in the country — though all is not as it seems when a cryptic message arrives, claiming the captain has “stole ...more
Beth
Such fun! Romantic, engaging, just an all around winsome story. I’m never sure about how a man is going to sound narrating a woman’s dialogue, but Alex Wyndham does a great job.
Heather Wood
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the first few chapters, I was nonplussed and just set to enjoy the ride that is Mimi's delightful historical fiction, not knowing that this would be my first five star Mimi book.
I adore Philly and Arthur's relationship! For being very nearly a marriage of convenience, it was without most of the usual angst that trope provides, but the characters communicated like adults and it made for a lovely story. I just really liked them both.
The mystery had quite the turn, and left me legit surprised.
Bon
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this delightful book!

Oh man, a regency romance boasting a handsome protagonist who has war wounds and can barely walk, and a girl with the rarity of different-colored eyes? A gross chauvinist villain who wishes to ‘obtain’ her for his collection of oddities? Hahahah count me IN.
I honestly got some Persuasion vibes in this book – maybe it was that the guy was Captain Arthur Heywood, or there was a Lady Eliot, or the regency era or…something else
Dot Salvagin
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You will not be able to put this book down. It is totally engrossing, romantic, beautifully written and full of intrigue. Arthur and Philly hardly know each other when they are thrust into a marriage of convienence. They have angered a powerful Duke with a wicked reputation. I turned pages to see how our H & h would stay safe and fall in love. There are thriller aspects to this plot that make for rapid page turning. I highly recommend this one to all HR readers. It will go On my Best Reads of 20 ...more
Yara
The Work of Art by Mimi Matthews is her first standalone Regency romance novel, and it is the fourth book I’ve read from this author. I’m thrilled to have discovered MM’s books, she’s a great writer, and storyteller, and most importantly, she writes accurate and well-researched historical romances. For some reason, in the last few months, I keep stumbling upon poorly research HR novels, and when I say the struggle has been real, I mean the struggle has been real. So, it’s always a pleasure to pi ...more
Elodie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It will be an impossible task to convey the emotions this very book made me feel.
I do not know why Mrs Mimi Matthews’ name clicked right for me as I’m sure it is my first reading of her work.
Whatever, it was such a marvelous read, I lost myself in Philly and Arthur’s tale and cursed my daily cores as they kept me from reading a big part of the day, with I read it late this night and wake up earlier to finish it as my eyes decided to have a will of their own to shut me down.
I found no fault in Mr
Melissa
Oh my! This was delicious! I enjoyed this one so much. The story line is a mix of B&B and an arraigned marriage. The dark sad hero who is hurt and misunderstood and the amazing leading lady who sees past all of it. I LOVED Philly! She was an amazing character, a balance of kindness and intellect that I loved. The way she handled all the negative people that came into her life was brilliant! The way she handled Arthur was perfection. This had just the right amount of heart tugging, light and lovi ...more
Marlene
" 'Her eyes are extraordinary,' Darly murmured. 'I've never seen anything like them.' "

7/8/2020 update: I added a book recommendation.

The Work of Art (2019, Perfectly Proper Press) by Mimi Matthews is a Regency romance with a touch of mystery, set in 1814 London. It's not part of a series, which seems to be the case for about half of Ms. Matthew's stories. I wanted to read this one because clean Regency romances are a favorite genre of mine, and this one was highly rated. Then my husband purcha
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Adore This Book!

I absolutely adored this book. From beginning to end I was completely invested in the characters and the story. Mimi Matthews has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I love her books!!
Courtney Clark
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each new foray into historical England (and beyond!) with author Mimi Matthews is an immersive cultural and literary experience, brimming with historical accuracy to make any history nerd happy and a swoony romance to satisfy the heart. The Work of Art, Matthews’ first Regency novel, does this wonderfully as the unlikely friendship between Captain Arthur Heywood and Miss Philly Satterthwaite shifts into something more by necessity.

I absolutely loved witnessing these two characters shape each oth
Lu
Lovely story! Sweetest of heroines meets most honorable hero

Mimi Mathews books are so very lovely. Her characters are complex, emotionally charged, and behave accordingly to their time periods. This is my favorite of her books so far.
Philly is innocent, lovely, too soft-hearted for her own good, and yet she is mature for her age, she has such deep insights into people’s souls. She is a great heroine without effort, she is brave without holding a sword.
Arthur is my favorite kind of hero. Full of
Renee
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We get not one hero but two heroes in this book and one has fur and four legs, so you know I’m ALLLLL in. This book has my name written all over it, that’s for sure. After having read the blurb and several reviews including a brilliant review by one of my most trusted book recommenders and seeing it on sale for 99 cents, I needed no more persuading.

Holy. Freaking. Cow. What a gorgeous little romance this turned out to be. It checked every stinking box for me—marriage of convenience, injured her
Tina
4.5 stars.

Oh, now this was a nice surprise. This was a new to me author whose book came up as a suggestion for me in my audible account. So decided to give it a try mainly on the strength of the narrator, Alex Wyndhman, and reviews I read that said the hero and heroine talked to each other.

Now that may sound weird, but if you know romance, then you know the 'Grand Misunderstanding' where days, months, years of angst and hostility could have been resolved and even prevented if the hero and heroin
Rachel McMillan
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proof that Matthews can work seamlessly in and out of every historical period, the Work of Art excells at painting a gorgeous regency portrait--from the barters and business of social marriages to the rambling hills surrounding a great estate. It is the latter that Matthews seems to so deftly enjoy as a canvas and fans of her excellent Devon-set Victorian series will find themselves at home in her lush descriptions.

I very much enjoyed a marriage of convenience (favourite trope) grounded in frien
Lucinda
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this story!

Philly and Arthur are amazing characters! And to think she barely notices him the first time they meet.

I loved the way their simple friendship flourished. Because of what happened to him in the war, Arthur retreats socially, but after their first walk together, he recognizes Philly is someone whose company he wants.

I love a good marriage of convenience and this one did not disappoint. The mystery was also well done.

Highly recommend! Well written and wonderful chara
Toni Shiloh
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All. The. Feels!

This is my first Mimi Matthews read and I was hooked.

Captain Arthur Heywood makes a wonderful hero! I loved how imposing he was to others yet tender to Phyllida. It absolutely melted my heart.

Phyllida is a wonderful heroine you want to be best friends with and is a champion of others. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the romance unfold between her and Heywood and the hint of suspense throughout the book.
Leona
Oh my, this was fabulous. Sigh...
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love stories where the hero and heroine begin as friends. The romance develops differently. It awakens and builds slowly, and there’s nothing like that slow burn. Readers get to venture with the two characters on a journey of surprising discovery. And this journey of Arthur and Philly is truly a Work of Art.

Phyllida Satterthwaite spent her whole life being obedient and obliging, doing what was expected of her. That’s why after the loss of her grandfather and her beloved home, she found hersel
Gretchen
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m in love, I’m in love (with this book) & I don’t care who knows it!!!! First of all, I could NOT put this book down; I would have stayed up all night to read it if I could have!! I know it sounds dramatic, but this book has ruined all other books for me for a while. It is THAT good. Everyone has their “wishlist” of what they want to see happen when reading books & this book is my historical romance jackpot.

I loved Philly and would venture to say she is one of my favorite regency heroines I’v
Mou
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mou by: Sruthi
A perfect 4 stars Read. 🌠

After reading A Ruthless Proposition, I needed this book like food. A tortured war hero with a strong and unusual beautiful heroine makes this book worth reading. Sigh...
Veronique
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent historical romance from Mimi Matthews. She not only creates convincing characters that are impossible to resist, she also paints a very believable 19th century setting.

• Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets #1)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • The Widow (Silver Linings Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lonely Lord
  • Suffering the Scot (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan #1)
  • Lakeshire Park
  • The Painter (Silver Linings Mysteries, #4)
  • The Mésalliance (Rockliffe, #2)
  • The Apothecary (Silver Linings Mysteries, #3)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • Romancing the Rake (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan Book 2)
  • Discovering Grace (Inglewood, #2)
  • The Snowdrop
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #3)
  • A Clever Alliance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love, #1)
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances. Her novels have received starred reviews from Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, and her articles have been featured on the Victorian Web, the Journal of Victorian Culture, and in syndication at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in ...more