Start by marking “A Conjuring of Assassins (Chimera, # 2)” as Want to Read:
A Conjuring of Assassins (Chimera, # 2)

A Conjuring of Assassins

(Chimera #2)

A Conjuring of Assassins is Cate Glass's second adventure with the Chimera team, a ragtag crew who use their forbidden magic for the good of the kingdom.

Romy and her three partners in crime—a sword master, a silversmith, and her thieving brother—have embraced their roles as the Shadow Lord's agents, using their forbidden magic to accomplish tasks his other spies cannot.

Published February 4th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Conjuring of Assassins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Conjuring of Assassins

Start your review of A Conjuring of Assassins (Chimera, # 2)
Ivy
This is the second book in Cate Glass's Chimera series. Romy and her three partners are asked to find a list of powerful men and women who are pledged to assassinate the evil Protector of Mercedaire. They discover far more is at risk when they infiltrate his household.

I enjoyed this book and was glad to see everyone becoming more familiar with their powers. It was nice to see them work together. It's always great to read fantasy stories mixed with espionage.

I received an ARC copy of this book
Hélène Louise
A very good sequel to "An Illusion of Thieves", with a new fascinating adventure, good characters' developments and a strong atmosphere.

The magic is well used to make a riveting story, without any abracadabra but instead a clever demonstration of the difficulties encountered by its users. Romy's special fascinating (and so original!) magic, for instance, is as useful as chilling for its limitations.

The book is rather long and much detailed for a story which unfolds only in a few days, but it
Meghan
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Macmillan-Tor/Forge - Tor Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I absolutely love twists and turns and this book was full of them. A family of assassins now turned immediate heroes and discover that the Ambassador's home from simple things could mean death was so outrageously exciting that I could not stop reading this book. The plot was way out of left field and that made me want to read
Matthew Bryan
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Arc of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review. I'll be reviewing the series on my YouTube channel Books Rebound closer to release but for now I figured I'd write a review here.

I really love this series. It feels really fun and refreshing since it's lighter in tone and more fast paced than a lot of what I read. This book really impressed me just as much as the first, though I did prefer the first a little more.

So this series takes place in an Italian inspired world
Sam
“Though who can say what love or friendship is when one is bound unconsenting to the other – even when the chains are silk”

A Conjuring of Assassins is the second novel of the Chimera’s, with An Illusion of Thieves being the first in the series.

Like the first, I feel slightly hoodwinked by A Conjuring of Assassins. The first three quarters of the novel are quite arduous to get through, though not unenjoyable, with the last quarter smacking such a punch that you can’t help but feel incredibly
Bethany
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, want
3 stars

This review is based on an ARC ebook received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. My rating scale is below.

review
This is the second book in a series about a magical crew of folks in a place sort of like Florence where having magical abilities is punishable by death. It picks up very soon after the end of the first book, but readers new to the series aren't left completely out of the loop: Glass (who is really Carol
Bam Jam
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
TW: sexual harassment, mentions of suicide, mentions of a child’s death, racism

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from Macmillan-Tor/Forge in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to them and to the author.

I had requested for the ARC of the first book in the Chimera series, An Illusion of Thieves, on a whim and became totally enamored with the characters and the world. So when I saw the second book was also available to be requested from NetGalley, I pounced right on it! The covers
Faith
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with a four people consisting of a professional duelist, a sword master, a metalsmith, Remy and her brother Neri, all of them magic users or sorcerers. They call themselves The Chimera, the Mystical Animal created of several different animals.

They are in a tavern waiting for Remy to unwind from her assumed illusion. Her magic allows her to become another through her implicit faith that she is that form. Her will so strong, even those close to her see the new envisioned form.

The
Marzie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-edelweiss
"Chimera: 1. a mythical creature, a fire-breathing female with face, body, and limbs of three different beasts. 2. something that exists only in the imagination and is not possible in reality."

A Conjuring of Assassins finds Romy, Neri, Placidio, and Dumond further developing Chimera, their magical espionage squad in service to the Shadow Lord, Alessandro di Gallanos. They have a current mission to intercept a prisoner going by the name of Cinque, a man with assets that include the Assassin's
Shilo Quetchenbach
Plot: 5 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Writing Style: 4 stars
Cover: 5 stars
Enjoyment: 5 stars
Overall: 5 stars

This was a thoroughly enjoyable heist/adventure story. I'm glad that I listened to the audiobook of book 1 (An Illusion of Thieves) before reading this book because I breezed through all the pronunciations that would have tripped me up otherwise.

I loved getting more of the members of the Chimera, as well as seeing them growing in their confidence in their magic and intrigue. Teo was a
Renee
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arcs
This book was received as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. Just wow. A beautiful followup to an already amazing book, Glass knows what she's doing in the world of fantasy. I didn't know what to expect coming into this series, but this second book makes me even more glad to have picked it up; the action and political intrigue is abundant, and at the forefront is a protagonist that I can't help but enjoy. Romy is a fantastically interesting character, and her companions continue to be
Madeline
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had the first book in this series by Cate Glass for a few months and I could not believe my luck when the second book popped up on NetGalley. Many thanks to the publishers for the ARC.

I love a heist story and A Conjuring of Assassins well met this need. It begins fairly shortly after where the cracking first novel ends. The newly formed "Chimera" had been enlisted by il Padronne to retrieve a document in the hands of a spy why was due for extradition. Challenges and intrigue ensue.

This is a
EquitesCinere
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I'd just like to say that I have been a fan of this author under her other penname for years and I've read every book that I know she's published... all of them fantastic. My preferred genre usually runs a little more toward romance/fantasy romance, etc, but I make an exception because her writing is just phenomenal.

This book has so many layers and delicious twists that I had a hard time putting it down. The Chimera characters are all so very rich. Placidio remains my favorite. The
David Herman
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I give a 5-star review, it means that excluding a nitpick or two, I could not have asked more of a book. That certainly applies here. Cate Glass is a master puppeteer, and I enjoyed almost every bit of the ride along her strings. There were a few points which could have been maybe sold better, but considering the high caliber of the rest of the book, I can forgive those. They were well within what I consider a reasonable suspension of disbelief. Her world is deep enough for the reader to ...more
Duckbait
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's always a pleasure to spend time with Romy and company, and I enjoyed the details of the heist and the scheming. I'm also enjoying piecing together the details of the world.

Also, shipping talk that no one cares about:

(view spoiler)
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Awesome addition to the series! Love the labyrinthine plots that twists and turns- but always bringing the readers along, never leaving us to confusion or boredom. There’s always danger lurking, and magic a foot. Such a cool ending!!! Cannot day more- but I’ll reiterate that the Romy/Placidio pairing could not come soon enough- and if it doesn’t happen, it’ll be a wasted opportunity.

I also want to say that the villain and his/their plot was fiendish and chilling. Such a step up from the first
Sarah Shirey
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cate Glass continues to impress with A Conjuring of Assassins, the second addition to the Chimera series. Glass' writing is elegant and colorful, and her story is rife with clever images. The reader can really experience what the characters are going through. Although slow at times, this high stakes, magical heist adventure keeps the reader engaged. I especially loved delving more into Romy's magic and the different characters she creates. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Annarella
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, edelweiss
A great fantasy story with an excellent cast of characters, a great plot, and an amazing world building.
I cannot find any fault to this book, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Lucy
The misfit quartet from A ILLUSION OF THIEVES takes on another 'impossible mission' to protect their city, using forbidden magic that will get them executed if caught. The complex plotting, fast-paced action & introduction of a mysterious new magical player will please 'Chimera' series fans.
Sharon Karpierz
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book

Lots of intrigue, carefully twisted plots and a dose of intense action makes this book a marvelous read. Enough hints to the first adventure to catch up anyone who starts here but do go back and enjoy the mastery that is Chimera.
Linda
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Book 2

Argh, finished in one night, now I have to wait for next. Great book 2. Characters & world growing (& need to keep doing so). Some kissy kissy time would be nice. I'm not so enamoured of Sandro.
KellyAnn
Lois Reid
Feb 11, 2020
Mg
Feb 14, 2020

• City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins
  • Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Nine (Thieves of Fate, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • The Wayward Bride (Besotted Scots, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Deal with the Devil (Mercenary Librarians, #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
Cate Glass is a writer of the fantasy adventure series Chimera. Cate Glass is also a pen name of Carol Berg, award-winning and bestselling author of fifteen epic fantasy novels and half a dozen novellas and short stories.

Though Cate's home has a great view of the Colorado Rockies, she has lived a large portion of her life in realms of mystery and adventure - Middle Earth, Camelot, Amber,

Chimera (2 books)
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)