Start by marking “Secrets of My Heart (Willamette Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of My Heart (Willamette Brides, #1)

Secrets of My Heart

(Williamette Brides #1)

Portland, Oregon, 1879. Nancy Pritchard finds herself a widow with a world of problems when her deceased husband's schemes start to come to light. As she searches through the pieces of her loveless marriage, Nancy realizes there is a lot that she didn't know about this man.

Seth Carpenter is a childhood friend of Nancy's who has recently returned to Portland. He's delighted
Published March 3rd 2020 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of My Heart

Start your review of Secrets of My Heart (Willamette Brides, #1)
Randi Annie Framnes
Following her husbands, death Nancy Pritchard finds herself in an entangled mess of race issues and criminal activity. She has to protect herself from dangerous men threatening her for information about her late husbands affairs. Her childhood friend and lawyer, Seth Carpenter, comes to her aid.

Secrets of my Heart is installment #1 in the Willamette Brides Series by Tracie Peterson. We get to follow Nancy Pritchards struggles following her husband Alberts mysterious death.
He is found dead in the
Christine
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I have a lot of respect for Tracie Peterson. She isnt afraid to fill her books with Christian viewpoints and lessons. This isnt one of those books that are labeled Christian fiction but come across as mainstream. Its the real deal. I also found every one of these lessons to be biblically accurate. So refreshing. The plot of the book was quite good. I admit that I found the character development and dialog to be a bit cliche. But this is a sweet story and a light read. I also love the cover! 3.5 ...more
Paula
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of My Heart is an excellent book! If you have read Tracie Peterson's series"Heart of the Frontier" you will recognize some of the characters in this book. I loved the story of Nancy's loss of her husband, then meeting up with her former friends from childhood. Seth had always been her brother Gabe's best friend, but now that they are adults, the friendship between Nancy and Seth grows into much more even though there is legal trouble all around them. With frightening threats against her ...more
Kristina
Secrets of My Heart by Tracie Peterson is the first book in Willamette Brides series. In a way, it is a continuation of Heart of the Frontier series featuring Grace Armistead, Nancy Pritchards mother along with Hope and Mercy. All three ladies appear in Secrets of My Heart. Secrets of My Heart, though, can be read on its own for those who have not indulged in Heart of the Frontier novels. I thought Secrets of My Heart was well-written and it captured the time period. Indians were living on ...more
Lori
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Isn't this cover lovely? I sure think so.
Just when you think you know a person then bam! The start of a,good story coming down folks!
I just love Tracie Peterson. I love and respect her stories so very much! She never disappoints me. I look forward to her books! Each book has a charm all their own but I think this one is my favorite so far.
Nancy and Seth are the most intriguing couple I've ever met. I say this because their relationship started off pretty much like mine did with my husband''s.
Yannick Tricia
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nancy's husband has just passed away. They were married for eight years. But she wasn't happy with him, her husband was a distant man and Nancy kept her pain and secret inside of her heart.

She married her man she didn't really know and who was involve in an illicite trade...

She struggles to trust God since the death of her little brother when she was a teenager, she thinks that God does not really care and that he is too far and her husband behaviour didn't improve things.

After her husband death
Becca-Rae Weidel
Even though this is the first book in the Willamette Brides series, it's a sequel to the author's Heart of the Frontier series. I devoured the first series and was excited to see how life had treated the Flanagan sisters after over 20 years. There presence in this one was minimal, but I was glad that they were all at least mentioned and some of the details of their lives during the in-between were filled-in.

I felt Nancy's relationship with her husband was intriguing. I found myself going back
Floraljoy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another winner:
What a great start to a new series that picks up after the Heart of the Frontier series (which followed sisters Grace, Hope and Mercy). Now we get to explore the lives of their children, starting with Grace and Alex's daughter Nancy.
Newly widowed Nancy lives in Portland where she discovers her late husbands illegal activities and association with a deeply racist group of people. It was interesting exploring the continued plight of the Native Americans and the deplorable lengths
Victoria W.
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
For people familiar with Peterson's work there probably won't be a lot of surprises in Secrets of My Heart. In fact, for long-term readers, there will even be a few familiar characters making an appearance. However, this also means, unsurprisingly, that Peterson has penned a tale full of characters you'll want to journey along with once again.

I really appreciate Nancy as a lead in the ways Peterson explores grieving both from Doug and Albert as well as against God and with herself. Nancy may be
Courtney
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested Secrets of My Heart in the interest of trying more Tracie Peterson and seeing which ones I like, so Im not completely giving up on her after one bad series. . And while its still somewhat flawed, this might be my favorite Ive read so far, given its overall focus on its central plot and the two main characters, giving me time to fully become invested in them, while also subtly introducing possible future leads.

I found
Courtney
Mar 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I found
Gia
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first in the Willamette Brides series is set in 1879 Portland, Oregon, introducing us to the recently widowed Nancy Pritchard.

Nancy, left to clean up the disaster of her late husbands life, discovers his illegal activities and involvement with some very unsavory, racist people. Unable to untangle his knots of lies on her own, Nancy turns to her faith and seeks God for help.

Meanwhile, needing an income, Nancy sets up her home as a boarding house and we meet a quirky set of loveable
Judybelle
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nancy Pritchard became a widow under mysterious circumstances. Her life with her late husband was not a happy one, she did not love him and he was not in love with her. So she is not grief stricken and does not try to appear as if she is. Her husbands love was his business and making money. Which she had no knowledge of all his business activities. He is found dead in the river and seems to have been involved in the criminal activity of selling fire arms and whiskey to people who in turn sold ...more
Becky
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tracie Peterson wrote a series of novels centered around the history of the Whitman Mission. This novel is a few years later, when the second generation has grown up.

In 1879, Nancy was living in Portland, OR, after her husband died and trying to figure out what her next move was going to be. Gerome Berkshire, one of her husband's friends, wants to marry Nancy for her money and to continue the sketchy practices her husband delved in.

As a surprise to Nancy, a former neighbor from Oregon City,
Caitlin Allen
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Bethany House for the free review copy. All opinions are my own.

I was so excited to see that Peterson had another trilogy of books releasing this year. I immensely enjoyed her Brookstone Brides collection last year, so I was excited to start the Willamette Brides series, and it did not disappoint! I am such a fan of historical fiction and romance, so I think thats why I enjoy her books so much.

I really liked the transformation of Nancy through this book. Her personal and faith
Nancy Larimer
Mar 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
"The Secrets of My Heart" by Tracie Peterson is a fiction book. This book is in the Willamette Brides series and is Book #1 . The story takes place in Portland, Oregon in 1879. Nancy Pritchard is a recent widow. She shows caring and kindness to people around her. She copes in an amazing way after losing her husband. She opens her home to have others to live there . She has a strong character. and supports those who live with her. What are the secrets of the heart and how does the story reveal ...more
Anne
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Secrets of My Heart
By Tracie Peterson
Following the death of her husband, Nancy is left feeling uncertain. In attempts to move forward, Nancy opens her home as a boarding house. The past, however, is not settled as Nancy discovers her husband was not who he claimed to be. Looking for help Nancy seeks out her lawyer who happens to be working with a childhood friend, Seth. Working closely with Seth opens Nancy's heart to the possibility of love. There is so much to discover of her husband's
Dianne Sidebottom
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy is the daughter of Grace and Alex and has Aunt Hope and Uncle Lance, Aunt Mercy and Uncle Adam from the wagon train series earlier. (I like the idea of following on into the next generation). At first I didn't like Nancy to much, but I wanted to get past that and see how the story unfolded. The story does go back to Oregon City and we meet up with family. Seth who was neighbours next door while friends with Gabe, Nancy's brother. What circumstances and choices they make as adults as the ...more
Vibliophile
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 stars) - all things happen for good to them that love God

When Nancy's indifferent husband dies & her old friend Seth returns, it seems she has a chance for her life to begin anew. Unfortunately, her husband left the tangles of his sins behind & she won't be free (or safe) until the mess is unraveled. Thankfully, Providentially it seems, Seth is there to help.

This was such a good story! It was interesting to learn some of our country's history out West after the Civil War. The story
Pianosue
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story. Nancy Pritchard finds herself widowed and with a lot of problems when her husband's shady business schemes come to light. As she tries to figure out what is going on she realizes there was a lot she didn't know about her husband. Seth Carpenter is a childhood friend of Nancy's has come to Portland. As a lawyer he is delighted to see her and helps to try to figure out her husband affairs. Will they two find the truth behind her husband's business? Will her husband's ...more
Terry Houchin
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this first book in the Williamette Brides Series, which is a sequel to the Heart of the Frontier Series. We get to see what happens to Grace, Hope and Mercy's children.

This story has a great villain, one we love to hate.
Nancy took a little while for me to like and want to root for her. I'm not sure if it was her privileged upbringing or the fact that she didn't know how to do anything for herself...once I got past that part and she started trying to do things for herself I grew to like
Rita
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from Tracie Peterson...and the first book in a new series Willamette Brides. Of course I can't wait to read the rest in the series. This book had a bit of a mystery feel to it, that made me want to keep reading it to find out what happens next.
Debbie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like her style of writing and how shes not afraid to tackle hard questions and also has God throughout the story. True Christian fiction! ...more
Amy Roelant
Historical CF with a bot of mystery thrown in. Not real exciting, but a good read.
C Davis
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this book had a pretty slow start, but overall it was pretty good.
Jessica
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great start to another excellent series!
Greta
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall, Id say the story is like a hallmark channel moviesweet, cute, kinda cliche and sappy with a happy ending.
This book was well written, but did not completely stay true to the era, in my opinion. Just in the way the characters spoke, it seemed it could have been set in current time.
Its not really a historical fiction book as much as a Christian fiction romance book. But the Christian aspects were very nice and encouraging and werent super cliche.
However, as a piece of literature, I was
Patsy Higgason
Feb 16, 2020
Mary S Watson
rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2019
Mary Lupinacci
Mar 20, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Selah (The Sugar Baron's Daughters, #3)
  • Woman of Sunlight (Brides of Hope Mountain, #2)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The Happy Camper
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Collision of Lies
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • Smoke Screen
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison

Williamette Brides (3 books)
  • The Way of Love (Willamette Brides, #2)
  • Forever by Your Side (Willamette Bride, #3)