Start by marking “The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)

The Land Beneath Us

(Sunrise at Normandy #3)

In 1943, Private Clay Paxton trains hard with the U.S. Army Rangers at Camp Forrest, Tennessee, determined to do his best in the upcoming Allied invasion of France. With his future stolen by his brothers' betrayal, Clay has only one thing to live for—fulfilling the recurring dream of his death.

Leah Jones works as a librarian at Camp Forrest, longing to rise above her
Published February 4th 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company / Baker Publishing Group (first published February 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Land Beneath Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Beneath Us

Start your review of The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
Rachel McMillan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unparalleled in her research and exposition of American World War II history, Sundin draws on the Biblical tale of Rachel and Leah in this deftly woven treatise on two people yearning to belong amidst a time of tragedy and loss.

Clay Paxton is certain of death. He dreams it every night over and over again, seeing the same minutiae of detail that will signal his untimely end. Leah Jones is desperate to belong after living as an orphan: ridiculed and judged.

Both meet at a training center in
Olivia
*This book was provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group/Revell, through Interviews & Reviews.*

A story captured with encouraging lessons and characters portrayed with authenticity in a setting of a war that affected the world.

I adored Clay and Leah from the start. I knew before I began this one that it would be a completion of the trilogy that was necessary and beautiful. But as I read, I soon realized it very quickly reached my favorite by this author. Clay needed something to live for.
Staci
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
What a great series based upon the three different ways the U.S. fought at Normandy (air, land and sea). In The Land Beneath Us, the youngest Paxton brother becomes a U.S. Army Ranger while holding at bay his prior dream to become a doctor.

Leah Jones is a young adult that grew up from the age of four as an orphanage. Leah and Clay's paths cross at the Camp Forrest library where she is a librarian assistant.

Both of their stories were engaging. And the ending wraps up all three novels beautifully.
Paula Shreckhise
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is the third book of the series Sunrise at Normandy.
Ms. Sundin has given us another gripping glimpse into a pivotal time in WWII history.
A horrific personal incident and war have torn three brothers from their home in Kerville, Texas. Can forgiveness and God’s love bring them back together? This story is primarily about Clay, the youngest of three Paxton brothers and his journey to D-Day in Normandy but also about reconciliation from an event that ripped
Rachel Scott
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Sundin wrote a Marriage of Convenience story!! Repeat - Sarah Sundin wrote a Marriage of Convenience story!!!! And folks, it’s amazing! I can’t gush enough over her brilliant storytelling!

I’ve been not-so-patiently waiting for this last installment to the Sunrise At Normandy series, and so when I finally got my hot little hands on The Land Beneath Us, I devoured the book! I confess to staying up past one o’clock because that ending was just…wow!

This author has proven again and again that
Debbie
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The Land Beneath Us" is a Christian historical romance set from June 1943 to June 1944 in England. It shows the training up to D-Day and the invasion from the viewpoint of the U.S. Army Rangers. This book is the third in a series. Though it includes enough information that it can be read as a stand alone, the three books are linked as each brother is motivated by a shared painful incident in their past.

Clay was betrayed by his brothers and feels that his future was taken from him. He has a
Maureen Timerman
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I loved this book, and the only thing I didn’t like was that it ended! The whole series was wonderful, and loved how it all tied in together, and each son did his own part on D-Day.
This is the third son of the Paxton family’s story, Clay, we have previously met Wyatt and Adler, and if you haven’t read them, their books are just as good!
We also met a girl who has grown up in an orphanage, and is searching for her identity, she wants to know who she is, and the world has tried its hardest to put
Kellyn Roth
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*mumbles under my breath* I really need to get more Sarah Sundin control. I decided to just read the first couple chapters last night to give myself a taste, and I ended up reading all the book before *yawns* 4 AM?? Something like that. 3:40 anyways.

But wow. Great book! I already want to reread it (and the rest of the series). Review to come when published!
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
I thoroughly enjoyed The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin. Sarah is a gifted author whose talent for weaving WWII novels that put you right into the thick of the historical setting while also crafting a love story that keeps you turning pages! I stayed up way too late one night to read this book and highly, highly recommend it. I'm convinced this is Sarah’s best, most epic novel yet.
Mayda
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tragic accident forever changed Leah’s life when she was just a toddler. Her parents were killed and she and her younger twin sisters were thrown into an orphanage. Her adoption doesn’t work out well, and she again is dumped at an orphanage for the rest of her growing up years, having no idea what became of her sisters. Now, she is hoping to find them, and is working at a library, researching when she has time. Again, tragedy stuck when she is brutally attacked after hours in the library, ...more
Nancee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-be-read
The Land Beneath Us is the third in this series, and I had not read the first or second books. There was only one reference to a person that I did not recognize, so in my opinion this book can easily stand on its own. The cast of characters is diverse and well described, and the settings throughout were very well documented. It is obvious that a lot of research went into this book, particularly of D-Day, and the preparation that went into it.

This book evoked a wealth of emotions that at times
Erin Laramore
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my - what a satsifying conclusion to this series! I loved both of the other books, but I believe this one was my favorite. This is book 3 in the Sunrise at Normandy series, and while the story-line itself could stand alone, I'd definitely recommend reading the other books first so you can get the overall family dynamics of the Paxtons, as well as get the full effect of the epilogue. Fans of the series will be glad to see the youngest brother, Clay, finally get his story. I know I've been ...more
Danielle Urban
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is about sacrifices, bravery, and forgiveness. Love develops between two characters but it does not solidify until much later. A man whose family never made him feel proud of being a part of them, leaves for the military. He works his butt off and proves to be a wonderful soldier. But he battles with his sorrow, loss, and anger daily. Until, little by little it dissolves. A young woman works her way up in life and searches for her family. She too, is battling ...more
Reeds
Jul 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sarah-sundin
Ever since I discovered Sarah Sundin's books in the spring of 2015, with "With Every Letter" I've looked forward to her newest book every spring, this one is no different. I'll read it as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Phyllis
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning conclusion to the series!

I've been looking forward to reading The Land Beneath Us, but now that I've finished, I'm a little sad this wonderful series has concluded. So now that I know how things worked out – I'm so glad!! It was the perfect conclusion. I even got teary at the end.

I could easily fill this review about all the things I loved about Clay. His innate need to heal. His compassion. His protectiveness. His kindness. The way he didn't question whether to do the right thing.
Melissa
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been anxiously awaiting this final installment because I really wanted to read Clay's story and find out what happened after The Sky Above Us ended in a cliffhanger. This book did not disappoint me in any way! Sundin has a gift for placing the reader right in the middle of the World War II time period and everything about the story feels authentic and believable.
I loved Clay's emotional journey in this novel. The themes of forgiveness resonate throughout, and I could feel his
Amanda Tero
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good WWII novel, and Sarah Sundin’s books categorize about everything I love in a good WWII book: the home front, an in depth view of soldier life, and historical accuracy.

Both Leah and Clay were very likable characters that I instantly wanted something good to happen to. Their backstories were different and though they could have learned the same lessons, they didn’t—and I loved that. Clay had to learn about true forgiveness and Leah’s lesson was on acceptance.

Speaking of their lessons
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was packed full with lessons to last a life time.
Sweet, little Leah is one of the most meek characters I've ever read about. Orphaned at a young age and growing up in an orphanage is sure to leave brutal marks on the mind of any individual but the way Leah took hers in stride warmed my heart over and over again. Even when life in an army base threw her a mean curve ball, Leah was still strong. Her story inspired hope.
I loved how the love of books and libraries brought her and Clay
Amanda Geaney
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading each book in this series I've declared it to be my favorite. It's safe to say each story and each Paxton brother has unique qualities that will endear them to readers.

What I particularly liked about Clay Paxton was his sense of honor and desire to do the right thing. He did so by staying home when his brothers fled, by marrying Leah to ensure she was provided for, and by risking his life for the men in his unit. All very admirable actions, in my opinion, so when Sundin equated him
Christine
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful conclusion to the Sunrise at Normandy series. It brought us to the end of WWII and gave us a lovely finish to the Paxton brothers’ story. Clay and Leah were probably the finest characters I’ve read in a Sundin novel. She has upped her game. But what I really give her kudos for, is the quality messaging that is jam packed in this novel. Forgiveness, repentance, faith, trust, unconditional love, and more were all incorporated without sounding forced or preachy. I also liked ...more
Cheryl
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I have read a book from this author. Every book that I have read has been a four or five star read. Fans of historical fiction stories who have never tried a book from this author, need to pick up a book. You are in for a real treat.

Clay and Leah may have come from different walks of life but they had on thing in common. They were both broken. With each other's support and God's strength, Leah and Clay were able to gain mended hearts filled with love.

Both of their
Monica
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is not only a good story but it is a book that I found spiritually stimulating. Sundin surprised me with this plot initially. Clay was looking for something to live for and Leah was looking for a place to belong. I wasn't expecting some of the challenges that these characters faced early in this book--although I did expect the happy ending and I was glad for it. This cover grabbed me right away. I purchased the first two books in this series (The Sea Before Us ...more
Sue
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Clay and Leah first meet at Camp Forrest, Tennessee, they are both lost and confused in their lives. Clay is estranged from his brothers and wants to go to war to fulfill his dream and Leah is a librarian who has had a tough life. She was adopted as a young girl when her parents were killed in an accident. After a few years, her new parents got tired of her and dropped her off at another orphanage. When she has free time, she does research to try to find out more about her earlier life and ...more
Lori
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book y'all!! This author!! She sure knows how to tell a story!! Blew me away!
This story hit too close to home for me.
The only difference is Leah was able to accomplish her goal where I wasn't.
I mean I sat down and bawled right along with Leah.
I love the gentle reminder that was in the book.
I really didn't like how Clay kept repeating the same thing all the time. It did get on my nerves after awhile but he is a good man. I loved how he took his responsibility seriously and I really enjoyed
Mary
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not often a book exceeds my expectations, especially one that has a trope that can tend to have objectionable content, but this book did exactly that.
The character development is a defining element here. Clay was harshly treated because of his ethnicity and betrayed and robbed by his brothers, who were supposed to back him up and support him, but he never became angry at the world or turned his back on God. I was bracing myself for the impact that never came, because pleasantly Clay turned
Linda Klager
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review of "The Land Beneath Us" by Sarah Sundin

The cover of the book showed a beautiful woman's concern as she thought of her sweetheart climbing the dangerous cliffs at Normandy!

I can't imagine the immense grief Leah felt to have lost her parents and her two younger sisters! The loneliness and despair of being an orphan must have been just so terrible. And then to have been treated so badly by others, too! Leah related her unloved life to Leah in the Bible.

Clay Paxton was mistreated by his
MJSH
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"There are even more blessings I can't yet see. But I will. I only have to watch."

I've loved every book by Sarah Sundin that I've read so far. I've also been a huge fan of the Paxton brothers from this Sunrise at Normandy series and have been anxiously waiting for the youngest brother's story to unfold. And, boy, the book was totally worth the wait. Though it's the third and last book of the series, it can definitely be read as a stand-alone. I really enjoyed the details of the Army Ranger
Eva
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Somehow I missed reading the second book in Sarah Sundin’s Sunrise At Normandy trilogy – I’ve read the first and the third instead. *shrugs* Anyway, this was an okay book. I found both Clay and Leah to be somewhat unique characters (their backstories and Leah’s naivety especially), which is commendable in a genre so lacking in uniqueness (Christian historical romance). I would have liked there to be more zip in Sundin’s writing style (it edges toward blandness) but she told her story well.

My
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE LAND BENEATH US is the third and final book in this series and one I was looking forward to with great anticipation. I loved this book and rather hate to see this series end!
Leah was a rather bookish soul, dreaming of someday getting a degree in librarian science. Circumstances out of her control changed her course forcing her to make some hard choices. But through it all, she held fast to God' grace and goodness, enabling her to see the silver-lining behind every cloud.
With Clay dreaming of
Nicole
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this series so much!
Sarah Sundin has done a wonderful job of taking her readers back in time and make them feel as if they are witnessing the events play out before them.
Surprisingly I didn't connect with this book in the beginning. No idea what was wrong with me! I have been so eager to finally read this book. For some strange reason I couldn't connect with Leah in the beginning (so weird).
However the more I read, the more I became invested in the story and by the climax I was
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• An Uncommon Woman
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Collision of Lies
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • A Girl’s Guide to the Outback
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
Sarah Sundin enjoys writing about the drama and romance of the World War II era. She is the bestselling author of The Land Beneath Us (February 2020), The Sky Above Us (2019) and The Sea Before Us (2018), as well as the Waves of Freedom, Wings of the Nightingale series, and Wings of Glory series. Her novel The Sea Before Us received the 2019 Reader's Choice Award from Faith, Hope, and Love, ...more

Sunrise at Normandy (3 books)
  • The Sea Before Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #1)
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)