Start by marking “Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)

Out of the Embers

(Mesquite Springs #1)

Ten years after her parents were killed, Evelyn Radcliffe is once more homeless. The orphanage that was her refuge and later her workplace has burned to the ground, and only she and a young orphan girl have escaped. Convinced this must be related to her parents' murders, Evelyn flees with the girl to Mesquite Springs in the Texas Hill Country and finds refuge in the home ...more
Published March 3rd 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Embers

Start your review of Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
Karen R
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good clean historical romance set in the 1850's among the bluebonnet covered hills of Texas.
Fans of Tracie Peterson and Maggie Brendan will likely enjoy this fresh start to a new series. It has the feel of a coming of age story with a bit of mystery.
The main characters are solid young adults, both looking for help in finding their life course, while holding down responsibilities thrust on them through difficult circumstances. Faith plays a minor role in the story, but influences their
Loraine
This first book in Cabot's debut series Mesquite Springs was enjoyable from start to finish. It is set in the Hill country of Texas on a horse ranch in the fictional town of Mesquite Springs. Evelyn Radcliffe started out life in an orphanage as both her parents were murdered while she was hiding under the bed. The killer was apprehended, but Evelyn always felt fearful. As she grew older, the cooking skills she had learned from her mother led her to become the cook for the orphanage. When she is ...more
Linda Klager
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought the name of the book was so appropriate. Evelyn and Polly's life was saved from flames (or embers) when the orphanage where they were living burned down.

I was very much attracted to the book by the beautiful cover of a young woman in the 19th century looking over the beautiful Hill Country of Texas. I love Bluebonnets, the State Flower of Texas and am glad that the author included them on the cover. I have visited fields of bluebonnets and love their color and fragrant scent.

The main
Maureen Timerman
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This story quickly became a page turner, we are shown characters with so much hate, greed, and total disregard for human life. Also we are give a character, Evelyn Radcliff, who takes a little orphan girl under her wing, gives her love and makes her her own.
This is Evelyn's and Polly's journey, and we are enriched by some of the people put in their path, but we see a side of evil that is horrible.
The author gives us a little bit of sweet romance, people who open their homes to complete
Madison
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, historical
Out of the Embers is a charming historical Christian romance. Despite the historical setting, its quite modern from the female-empowerment positive messages and the independence of our female main character Evelyn. With a touch of mystery and a looming threat that overhangs the characters, the climax was a little suspenseful, but overall this is an easy book to read and enjoy.

When the orphanage destroys the only friends and home Evelyn has, she and the only other survivor run for their lives and
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
When I started this book, I was quickly immersed in the characters, scenery, and even the mystery that is dangled in front of the reader with only tidbits revealed here and there to keep the reader engaged and on the edge of their seats.

There was so much to like about this book I don't know where to start!  The setting is the Texas Hill Country which is beautiful today, I can only imagine what it was like when this book was set.  Rolling hills painted with bluebonnets in the spring....sigh, a
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
"Oh God, what should I do?"

Devasted after finding the only home she has known for the past ten years reduced to ashes, Evelyn Radcliffe flees Logansville, Texas with a young orphaned girl who has become like a sister to her. Travelling with Polly for days on end with no particular destination in mind brings them to the outskirts of Mesquite Springs, where Evelyn finally feels a sense of peace, for she has spent the past ten years looking over her shoulder, sensing danger lurking just around the
Ann
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ten years after her parents were murdered, Evelyn Radcliffe is fleeing again. The orphanage where she worked has burned to the ground and she believes her parents killers are after her. Taking the only surviving orphan with her, she leaves town without a destination in mind.
Wyatt Clark, a horse rancher in Mesquite Springs, finds them stranded beside the road and shelters them in his family home where his mother and sister look after them. His mother has hopes Wyatt might marry Evelyn, but all
Dee/ bookworm
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
#OutOfTheEmbers #NetGalley

Evelyn's parents were murdered ten years ago. While selling lace and buying supplies in a nearby town, someone burns down the orphanage where she had been staying since that fateful night. Evelyn has felt like she has been being watched every time she journeys to this town. Is the Watcher trying to finish the job he started a decade ago?

This book was unexpectedly wonderful. There was a web created, but is it the web you think is being created? Filled with so many facets
Virginia Campbell
Noted historical romance author Amanda Cabot begins her "Mesquite Springs Series" with "Out of the Embers"--an involving and inspiring love story set in 1850's Texas Hill Country. With added elements of mystery and suspense, this intriguing tale features well-drawn characters and the timeless appeal of the rustic Old West era. For over a decade, Evelyn Radcliffe had been haunted by the murders of her parents when she was just thirteen years old. She had found refuge in an orphanage, and all ...more
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first foray into fictionaside from fantasywas historical romance. As a youth, I devoured everything written by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Louisa May Alcott, and L.M. Montgomery I could find. Later, I graduated to the more adult works of Francine Rivers and Liz Curtis Higgs. Why am I rambling about other authors? Because upon reading Out of the Embers, I now consider Amanda Cabot to have well-earned her place in the upper echelons of legacy authors. I could not find a single flaw with her work. ...more
Ruthie Jones
"You need to be strong to survive losing everything."

It is hard to imagine any book by Amanda Cabot not being a sure-fire winner. Out of the Embers is the first book in the Mesquite Springs series, and what a beginning!

Evelyn Radcliffe was orphaned ten years after her parents were brutally murdered, and she lives in constant fear that the killer will one day finish the job and kill her too. The orphanage near Gilmorton, Texas, has been her safe haven as an orphan and now an employee, but when
June Jacobs
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! This is the first book I have read by Author Amanda Cabot, and I am definitely a fan of her beautiful writing style and her assortment of consequential characters.

Out of the Embers is set in 1855 Texas mostly in the small town of Mesquite Springs. From the opening lines of the book a reader feels Evelyn Radner's anxiety, fear, and dread about being watched by what we would today probably label a stalker.

Layer by layer the truth about Evelyn's past and the past of her
Lorilei Gonzales
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin by saying that I adore Amanda Cabot books and was so excited to receive this copy of Out of the Embers. When I got my first glance at the cover, I sighed in deep appreciation of the soothing colors, the lovely girl, and the beautiful expanse of bluebonnets on either side of a wagon-worn road. The picturesque cover promised me a happy ending to the bleak beginning of a young woman and small girls escape from a devastating fire.

On the surface, Cabots writing can sometimes seem
Ariel Hess
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. I was provided a copy of this book from Lone Star Literary Life partner in exchange for my honest review. The comments in this review do not reflect the views of the author or the publisher. The copies used in this review are finalized copies sent to me in exchange for my honest review. #partner #LSBBT

In this first installment of a new Christian Historical Fiction series, Cabot dives into the realm of historical fiction. The author does a phenomenal
Gretchen
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult - Adult
Out of the Embers, by Amanda Cabot, is a five-star-plus historical fiction book. The characters are engaging, the plot has twists and turns to intrigue the reader, and the ending leaves the reader more than satisfied.
After all the occupants of her orphanage die in a horrific fire, twenty-three-year-old Evelyn flees with a young girl to escape the person who wants them dead. The girls travel west until they are stranded in a storm and rescued by a Wyatt, a single rancher.
I appreciate characters
Lisa Johnson
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Title: Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs #1)
Author: Amanda Cabot
Pages: 336
Year: 2020
Publisher: Revell
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
Out of the Embers marks the beginning of a new series set in Mesquite Springs, Texas in 1855. The two main characters of this story are Wyatt Clark, the owner of a horse ranch, and Evelyn Radcliffe, a young woman on the run. There is an interesting supporting cast of characters, one of which will be the main characters in book two of the series.
Evelyn Radcliffe has
Erin Cataldi
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Charming, romantic, and light; Out of the Embers is the first in a new inspirational series, Mesquite Springs. Evelyn and six year old Polly are in town getting supplies when the orphanage they both live in burns down killing everyone inside. It's horrific and upsetting. Since her parents murder ten years ago, Evelyn is sure that someone is out to find her and finish the job. What will happen when they discover that she wasn't really in the orphanage when it burnt down? She takes Polly with her ...more
Faye
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Evelyn loses everything a second time, when her refuge and workplace is burned down. When she was young her parents were murdered. Afraid that someone is watching her, she flees with the only other survivor, a young girl named Polly, to Mesquite Texas.

Wyatt Clark is a horse trainer and rancher, who takes Evelyn and Polly under his wing, offering them sanctuary on his ranch, where he lives with his mother and sister.

Wyatt's family welcome Evelyn and Polly with open arms, making them feel right
Permanently_Booked
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
If you're looking for a beautifully written and clean historical romance set in the 1850s, this one is for you. The characters touched my heart and made me feel as if I was a part of their little town in Mesquite Springs. Evelyn is a strong character who relies on her strengths and independence to make it through the good and bad situations in her life. Wyatt amplifies her persona with his good nature, quick thinking and humble atmosphere. Together they captured everything beautiful about a ...more
Rachael
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable prairie type story with suspense on the side. I really fell in love with the characters, especially Polly. Evelyn is a wonderful heroine with flaws, but with a heart full of love.

Its a wonderful plot line, though pretty predictable, the story is hard to put down. I enjoyed getting to know the main male character,Wyatt as well as a host of terrific secondary characters in the town.

This was another one with a nice faith theme woven through the story...a story of hope and
Amanda Tero
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first time to try Amanda Cabot. It was clean. It was sweet. It was western. And it had a hint of mystery.

Thinking back over the book as a whole, I really can't say what the spiritual plot or message was. They were Christians and prayed (particularly when difficulty arose), but though the MC had to learn to accept safety and trust, it wasn't really a Christian message so much as it was her circumstances that changed. So, I'd have to say it was kind of weak in that area.

The romance
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OUT OF THE EMBERS is book one of popular historical fiction author Amanda Cabot's new series. Evelyn feels someone watching and since her parents were murdered, she is certain that the murderer is after her. When the orphanage she lives at is burned down, Evelyn and one little girl are the sole survivors. Evelyn and Polly are forced to find a new home, one far from "The Watcher".

Polly holds secrets of her own--ones she can never tell.... So WHO is "The Watcher" watching?

Wyatt is a sweet kind
Meghan
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Revell in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book was so exasperating and inspirational from beginning to end. The plot and characters expressed throughout the book are easily relateable and you can easily develop a connection with Evelyn cheering her on and have your heart warmed when she finally finds her home in living with rancher Wyatt. Wyatt stops at nothing to protect her even when
Susan Snodgrass
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Evelyn Radcliffe was sent to an orphanage when her parents were killed. Now the orphanage has been burned down and she is homeless once against n, but this time she is caring for a young orphan girl. Evelyn runs to Mesquite Springs in Texas. There she meets Wyatt Clark, rancher and horse breeder.

Evelyn and Wyatt soon form a bond, but it seems danger has followed her to town and its up to Wyatt to protect her.

Amanda Cabot has woven together an intriguing mystery with danger and a sweet romance.
Lori
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cabot kept me up late because her stories are awesome and this one is no exception! Just wow!
I love her stories because they're exciting, have some danger in the mix and love as well. Especially God's sweet love! There's nothing like His sweet love. Don't you just love when the Lord sends someone to the right place at the right time! I sure do! And Evelyn and Wyatt are no different.
Cabot is a great storyteller and I love how she pulls you in right from the beginning and before you know it,
Debbie Smith
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The setting for Out of the Embers, the first book in Cabots Mesquite Springs series, is Texas in the 1850s.

For the last few years, Evelyn Radcliffe has called an orphanage her home. Luckily, she escaped her parents fate 10 years ago when they were murdered. But since that time she has felt someone was watching her, so she has always felt uneasy.

Radcliffe, who is now 22, needs to leave the orphanage to handle some business for them. Polly, a six-year-old at the orphanage, wants to go too, so
Victoria W.
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have no problem stating it upfront. Out of the Embers is hands down my favourite book by Amanda Cabot to date.

While Cabot provides all the usual character growth and romance possibilities with her main character Evelyn, she has filled in her plot with twisting turns, lots of heart, and some of the best narrative timing I've seen in this genre when it comes to Evelyn's growth.

Evelyn easily holds this story as a lead character thanks to the personality and resilience she's developed in the face
Libby May
Out of Embers was a cute book!

When I first started reading it, I was not drawn in. In fact if I didn't have to review it I probably would not have picked it up again. How awful, for Evelyn to lose the entire orphanage. However because I did have to review it, and I wanted to give it a fair second chance, I picked it up again. I can say I was not disappointed.

The writing style, after the first couple of chapters, was light and easy to read, as it will be with most books. I appreciated the POV
Conny Reviews
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was more to Miss Evelyn Radner than she wanted the world to see. The question was, what was behind the pretty mask, and why did she feel the need to hide? Wyatt wonders in Amanda Cabots novel, Out of the Embers.

~ What ~
This three-hundred-and-thirty-six-page paperback is targeted toward those who enjoy a historical romance during the mid-nineteenth century in Texas involving racehorses, a restaurant, and finding love. The beginning includes a town map, while the ending has an authors note,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Collision of Lies
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • The Happy Camper
  • Chasing the White Lion (Talia Inger #2)
  • Two Steps Forward (The Deacon's Family, #3)
  • Star of Persia: Esther's Story
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • The Crow's Call (Amish Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • From Sky to Sky (No Less Days, #2)
With both parents avid readers, it's no surprise that Amanda Cabot learned to read at an early age. From there it was only a small step to deciding to become a writer. Of course, deciding and becoming are two different things, as she soon discovered. Fortunately for the world, her first attempts at fiction were not published, but she did meet her goal of selling a novel by her thirtieth birthday. ...more