Start by marking “The Strangeworlds Travel Agency” as Want to Read:
The Strangeworlds Travel Agency

The Strangeworlds Travel Agency

Pack your suitcase for a magical adventure! Perfect for fans of Nevermoor and The Train to Impossible Places.

At the Strangeworlds Travel Agency, each suitcase transports you to a different world. All you have to do is step inside . . .

When 12-year-old Flick Hudson accidentally ends up in the Strangeworlds Travel Agency, she uncovers a fantastic secret: there are hundreds
Expected publication: April 30th 2020 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Strangeworlds Travel Agency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strangeworlds Travel Agency

Start your review of The Strangeworlds Travel Agency
Gavin
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine stepping into a suitcase and ending up in a jungle, or an enchanted forest, or a bright, bustling city filled with magic. Because thats The Strangeworlds Travel Agency, the first book in a new series.

I want to step back into this world again and Ive just finished it! We follow Flick who stumbles upon the travel agency that is ran by one young man - Jonathan - who oversees many different suitcases that open up to other worlds within the multiverse. Its dangerous, but its exciting. I
Sophie Anderson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dazzling! The first of what promises to be many fantastic adventures in worlds teeming with wonders. Brilliantly written, clever and funny, The Strangeworlds Travel Agency is immense fun, with two main characters - Flick and Jonathan - who stole my heart from the start and who I miss already.
BooksForTopics
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A flash-bang-crash of an adventure through weird and wonderful new worlds!

Pack your bags and get ready to hop into a world of adventures. I was drawn to the concept of this middle-grade fantasy from the start - a travel agency where you jump into a suitcase to be transported to hundreds of other worlds.

12-year-old Flick accidentally stumbles into the Strangeworlds Travel Agency shortly after moving to a new town. Quick to discover theres something unusual here, curiosity gets the better of Flick
Jamie-Lee Turner
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the words in the multiverse cannot describe how joyful and magical this book is.

L. D. Lapinski has somehow managed to bundle magic, adventure, hope and family into a quaint little suitcase that smells of tea and biscuits and in the process opened up a whole universe of adventures for children(and adults) everywhere.

Flick is instantly loveable and her and Jonathan make a truly brilliant duo as they dive through the multiverse in an effort to save it.

Filled with peril, adventure, magic and
Vonprice
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had seen a lot of praise for this book on Twitter and was delighted to be approved by NetGalley and Hachette Childrens for an eARC to review.

Without delay, I have to say that I loved L.D. Lapinskis world-building, protagonists and ability to combine an important message within a fast-paced contemporary fantasy for MG readers (thanks to blogger Lily Fae for the genre description).

The two main protagonists, Jonathan and Flick, are fully realised characters who fully engage your interest and
Tracy Curran
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Escaping into one fantasy world is tempting enough but when there are a whole rainbow of magical worlds to explore in one book, it sounds almost too good to be true...

Rest assured, it is definitely not too good to be true! The Strangeworlds Travel Agency sweeps you up and whisks you away to places that crackle with imagination and magical delight.

From a bouncy world full of sweets to a forest that has echoes of Peter Pan's famous 'Lost Boys', from a
Sean Morton
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Step inside to a whole new world, literally.

The Strangeworlds Travel Agency is a fantastic debut and the beginning of a great new kid's series. Flick Hudson and her family have moved to a small country village from the city, and she is getting use to her new life. Then she discovers the Strangeworlds Travel Agency, a dusty old shop full of various suitcases. Little does she know, these suitcases lead to different worlds.

This was fun, Lapinski has established a new world(s) for people to fall in
Susan
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so much fun! The Strangeworlds Travel Agency is the first in a series of world jumping adventures of Flick Hudson, who discovers a strange shop in the small town she and her family have moved to, a shop full of suitcases that are the portals to other worlds. But this isn't just a Faraway Tree kind of 'flitting through things for fun' kind of series, these worlds are connected and there is trouble afoot. For the guardian of the agency, Jonathan Mercator, is looking for his father, a world ...more
Dawn Woods
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Flicks family has just moved house, so Flick goes out to explore and discovers a strange shop which draws her in. Strangeworlds Travel Agency is a gateway to other worlds, using suitcases to travel to parallel worlds.
The Custodian, Jonathan, teachers Flick about travel, but has omitted to tell her the whole truth. When Flick discovers this, not only is she in danger but so are the many strange worlds and it is up to Flick and Jonathan to save the lot. Jonathan tries to dissuade the thieves
Debbie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to lose yourself in an adventure brimming with magic and fantastic new worlds.
Meet Jonathan Mercator, a quirky 18 year old, who has found himself in charge of the family business Strangeworlds Travel Agency; and Felicity (Flick) who has just moved house away from the bustle of the city. Faced with a long, boring summer, no friends until school starts, and helping look after her baby brother, Flick stumbles across The Strangeworlds Travel Agency. Little did she expect the magical
Rachel Rowlands
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a much-needed dose of magic and joy that I was fortunate enough to read an early copy of. The magic system and world-building are so intricate and detailed, and most of all a lot of fun (I mean, world-hopping via suitcases!), and clearly built with a lot of love from the author. If you want a book that'll make you or your kids happy, one that's filled with adventure and quirks, this is it.

I really enjoyed the development of Flick and Jonathan's friendship, and picking out the pop
Roberta Wright
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read that I would recommend to ages 8 and up. The premise is that there are links to different worlds, which can be reached through suitcases, stored at the travel agency. There is so much scope for using this in class, describing the different worlds and making your own suitcases! The main character, Flick, is ignored at home, with her parents birth working and looking after a new baby. She meets an older boy who also feels abandoned, as his dad has disappeared and his mum ...more
Heather James
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to have my NetGalley request to review this accepted. It sounded absolutely brilliant and I couldn't wait to dive in. Here are three things I loved about The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (and why you should definitely be buying it for the MG readers in your life).

1. The world (worlds?) building was so imaginative and such a delight to read. The descriptions had a cinematic quality that made them easy to picture and each world was more fun and amazing than the last. It made me
Helen
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Strangeworlds Travel Agency is a truly magical read and an adventure I will certainly be recommending upon its release. Flick and Jonathan, the protagonists, are well-crafted characters and it was wonderful to see the growth in their friendship on the page.

The writing is superb: every world is unique and described in enough detail, so you feel transported to every corner of the multiverse. I cant wait for a sequel. An excellent read - thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for permission
Louise Inniss
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A cracking good adventure! Step inside this suitcase full of mystery, wonder, and humour, and discover breath-taking worlds with the Flick and Jonathan. Warning: you won't want to come back to the real world any time soon.

Honestly one of the best books I've read this year, would highly recommend anyone who wants to be swept away with a captivating and enchanting tale.

Also I'm next in line to apply to be a Strangeworlds Society member.
Jen
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book in what is set to be a children's classic series sees twists, turns, and dastardly baddies set to thwart Flick and Jonathan on their travels through the worlds inside suitcases. Lapinski is an author with a gift for seeing the magic and humour in all situations. This book is a magical ride through a multiverse of adventure, and readers young and old(er) won't be able to stand the wait to continue the journey.
Steph
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complete and utter ride. Just everything I needed in a book: magic, friendship, laughter, snark and adventure. I think this is gonna be something huge. Bloody loved every second. Theres something for everyone here and I cant wait for the world to read it. The characters are amazing; the worlds are just exceptional and the writing is lush. I want to be part of this world! ...more
Amy West
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
What a delight this book is! It gave me very strong faraway tree nostalgia which I loved. What child would not like to escape the mundane of day to day life to adventure in other magical worlds all unique and brilliant, and if not entirely possible then this book certainly softens the blow. I can't wait to read whats next in the series.
Wendy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. Its full of excitement and adventure. A really original idea, executed well with believable characters. For fans of Hardy Potter and Diana Whynne Jones. 🤩 ...more
Martha
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(I do plan on writing my thoughts bar just AHHH. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. And AHHH. I need more now pls 😂)
JoeCool
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
DNF
Denise Forrest
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although not normally a huge fan of fantasy books, this had me gripped from the first chapter. The Strangeworlds Travel Agency enables people to travel between worlds by stepping into suitcases. When Flick stumbles into the travel agency by accident after moving to a new town, she doesnt realise how many adventures are in store. As she becomes more and more intrigued with the possibility of visiting different worlds, she is drawn into the world of a Strangeworlds traveller.

I liked both of the
Nikki
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the concept of the Strangeworlds Travel Agency! I wish it was real :)

I found this middle grade fantasy super fun and engaging. Jonathan comes across as a little older than he is, but also as young and missing his father. Flick definitely seems to have a lot more autonomy than I would give a 12 year old, but it does make sense with the plot.

The worlds we visit are super fun, and I really enjoyed the
Lauren Johnstone
Maiko Lenting-Lu
Aug 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Highland Falcon Thief
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Unadoptables
  • The House of Hidden Wonders
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Orphans of the Tide
  • The Wild Way Home
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • What Stars Are Made of
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Switch
  • Jungledrop (The Unmapped Chronicles, #2)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Fierce, Fearless and Free
L. D. Lapinski is the author of The Strangeworlds Travel Agency series of childrens books. The first novel will be published in April 2020 by Orion Childrens (UK)

L. D. Lapinski lives just outside Sherwood Forest with her family, a lot of books, and a cat called Hector. L.D. first wrote a book when she was seven; it was made of lined paper and sellotape, and it was about a frog who owned an