Start by marking “Kat & Mouse: a Crosscannon Roller Derby romance (CRD Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Kat & Mouse: a Crosscannon Roller Derby romance (CRD Book 1)

Kat & Mouse: a Crosscannon Roller Derby romance (CRD Book 1)

Katrina Brooks is a gifted photographer and an excellent roller derby referee. When she's wearing her stripes, she's focused and professional—and she rarely misses a call. Problem is, Kat's got her eye on a “Mouse” who has a knack for getting into trouble.

Dorothy Mauser (Dot) is a trash-picking junk artist with a big heart but a volatile temper. She’s also the most penalty

Published May 30th 2019 by Metal Heart Press

To ask other readers questions about Kat & Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kat & Mouse

Start your review of Kat & Mouse: a Crosscannon Roller Derby romance (CRD Book 1)
Diane Wallace
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
**'Dialogue is a construct; it is artificial; it is much more efficient and believable than real conversation...'

Good read!
A bit long but it's an enjoyable told story. Recommended to all interested readers!
mishi
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book wasn't exactly about Roller Derby but how it affected Kat & Mouse's relationship.
Kat had a crush on Dot/mouse who was under the impression that Kat hates her. Initially they were so shy with each other, it was really adorable. They even got matching rainbow friendship bracelets. They had such an innocence about them, it was refreshing. Even their art complemented each other. Sometimes I had to take a break because cuteness overload!
Even after they got together the book just kept gettin
Farah
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rejoice Roller Derby Fans - Jacquelyn Heat, a player herself had written this book specifically for all of you and for me, a beginner in this everyone should get their feet in sport.

I generally don’t do well with stories that have tons of angst, but this book really surprised me. The characters were frustratingly endearing, the type where no matter what mistakes or bad choices they made, I loved them through it all. The romance was shaky and borderline toxic, but I nevertheless wanted them to b
Sandra
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lesbian Roller Derby Romance. Go girls!

#1 in the Roller Derby series. To really enjoy this book you have to understand at least a little bit about Flat Track Roller Derby as it’s a rather big part about this sport. I knew nothing about except it’s on roller skates. At the end of the book are about five pages with an explanation about Roller Derby which was very helpful. Jacquelyn Heat is a Roller Derby player herself, so she knew what she was writing about.

The story is told from both MC's POV. K
Joan Concilio
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-read
DAMN. This is everything I love - derby, art, Pennsylvania, romance, characters that act like real people, super and relatable portrayal of mental health issues, flea markets and heckin’ gay besides. Jacquelyn/Rita, I absolutely cannot wait to read more!
Coco.V
Aug 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (8/22/2019)! 🎁
Gina
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Jacquelyn Heat popped my roller derby romance cherry. I have never seen roller derby but now have a better understanding of the game. Granted, I did have to take pause to remember what some of the terms meant, but it was worth it during the derby scenes.

The one thing I will say while reading this book was that I wanted more from Kat and Dot. We really started to get to know them a little over halfway through the book and I was left with wanting more. I wanted to see more about Kat and her upbrin
Richard
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not being a sporty person, the very existence of roller derby is something I've only noted briefly in passing. While watching a it casually for 30 seconds, one might assume it's a "sport" with one rule: bash the other women aside real hard. It always seemed like a rather violent contact sport for women with awesomely grin-making nicknames. (I love the nicknames! And don't miss this article or Sausage Roller's totally squee name website if you also like clever names.)

Anyhow, nearly-zero on the ge
Jen
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Way above & beyond my expectations

“Things were going so well. She was happy, mostly. She felt safe and accepted and loved. How had this become her life?
And when was the other shoe going to drop?”
• ~ • ~ • ~ •

Definitely not the story I was expecting after reading the description… but like, wow, was this a really, really, really good book!!

This book resonated so deeply with me. As a person who has BPD & a always struggled with anxiety, emotional extremes, self-harm behaviors & dysfunctional c
Cathy R
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Compelling!

I remember watching roller derby on TV when I was a young kid - late 50s, early 60s? Anyway, that’s all I knew about the sport, until this book. So, I still don’t understand it too well, but I do understand that I LOVED this book, which I read in one day! The characters are so well-developed, complex, and engaging. The story itself is compelling, and brought me close to tears (which I don’t do) several times. This is a great read!
Leslie J Holbrook
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational story.

I actually had tears in my eyes on parts of this story. I learned a lot about mental health disorders which unfortunately are becoming a reality in today's society. I also learned about roller derby which was big in the 70's. The main characters in this story were meant for each other and learned to adjust to their flaws. Great first story Jacquelyn Heat!
Nic Mercado
My favorite thing about this novel was how flawed the main characters were. Real women learning to love and to be who they want to be. It was awesome watching Kat and Dot grow both as individuals and as partners.

I also loved the drama of pitting a passionate player with an impartial ref. The dynamic was so interesting and watching them balance these conflicting parts of themselves was a delight to read, if not an emotional roller coaster as well.
Margaret L. Hedman
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!

I loved Kat & Mouse. What a raw, emotional, exciting, beautiful love story. I decided not to worry to much about the derby lingo, just treated it as a sport I vaguely know very little about. The art, the emotional trauma and it’s toll on all of the characters was what held my attention. I will read more by this author.
Shon Chewning
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My First Jacquelyn Heat

This was my first and favorite g/g 💕 book that I really enjoyed and appreciated. The chemistry between the two females where amazing. So far the books I've written didn't have much sexual encounters to be very detailed. The storyline was delightful and exciting. Thanks
Doug Elliott
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Roller derby and art provide a backdrop for the development of a serious relationship between two women with complicated issues. Kat's BPD is definitely the leading problem, but Kat's family situation is not minor either. A decent set of secondary characters help bring the story to life.
Ginger
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, great world building, fast read

Characters are vulnerable, flawed and fun. Written around a roller derby team, the characters bond over their art outside the rink.

I hope there are more adventures in store for Kat, Mouse, Lynn, Jet and crew.
Jill
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun

Pretty good read. I didn’t find myself invested in the characters. I’m sure other readers would though ... Give it a try.
Pam Holzner
I'll come back to this another time ...
book
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff-mental-health
An easy read, more about mental health than roller derby.
More tell than show. It was okay.
Jen
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, f-f
A sapphic roller derby romance. I got lost a bit in the technical parts of the sport, even with the primer at the end of the book but I was cheering for Kat and Dot the whole time.
Tara Schwier

• The Wrong Date
  • 200 Hours
  • Tapping into Love
  • Hart & Stocker
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • Lost at Sea
  • London Calling (London Romance, #1)
  • Driven (Oaktown Girls #1)
  • Living
  • Undone (The Kaleidoscope Album Book 1)
  • Sunsets and Shades (Sunsets and Shades, #1)
  • Mouth to Mouth (Lakeside Hospital, #5)
  • Too Late... I Love You
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • Slammed
  • Kiss the Girl (Soho Loft, #1)