Start by marking “London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)” as Want to Read:
London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)

London (Eyewitness Travel Guides)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,491 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Packed with photographs, illustrations, and maps, Eyewitness Travel Guide: London includes in-depth coverage of London's unforgettable sights from the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace to the trendy piazza of Covent Garden. Unearthing the best of the city's stunning architecture, palaces and parks, west-end musicals, world-class art galleries and museums in betwee ...more
Paperback, Eyewitness Travel, 448 pages
Published March 20th 2006 by DK Eyewitness Travel (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London

Kay
I own so many books and travel guides to London that it makes me wonder -- and still there always seems to be room for "just one more." However, if you're not into excess, here's a solution: the Eyewitness Guides do as good a job as any to introducing the novice traveler to a destination, but also feed the interest of those better acquainted with the area.

The sales pitch for these guides is definitely lived up to: they are visual, with hundreds (thousands?) of lush illustrations. Whoever does t
Terri Lynn
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
As always, publisher DK has created an exquisitely visual guide. This isn't the sort of guide you plan where to stay and eat or learn about the hours museums are open. Instead, it shows you what you might like to explore street by street with gorgeous photos and enough info to know where you are and what you'll see on a particular street. This eye candy really makes me hungry for London!!
Tony
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My
grade = 95% - A

I found this one at a thrift shop book sale for a dime and couldn't resist it. Brand new looking and shiny, it was first published in 1993 and last "reprinted with revisions" in 1999.

You'd think that with all the historical features such as the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, St Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Westminister Abbey, a book like this couldn't really get out of date, but I found it funny that four of the newest major tourist attractions
Lorraine
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who are or wish to plan a trip to London.
This guide book of London is published by my favorite publishing house who publishes books with a great deal of information. DK Eyewitness Travel London 2016 has everything: maps in many different forms, photographs, illustrations, cutaway and floor plans of "major sites" plus 3-D aerial views of London's important areas, suggestions for restaurants, shopping, and forms of entertainment. This book will help one decide on her/his itinerary. And the information at one's fingertips, and what inform ...more
Kay
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of many Eyewitness travel guides I own. I seem to accumulate them at an astonishing rate, for just about every place I have an even passing interest in. I'm a sucker for the illustrations, even though I known from first-hand experience that the guide information itself is not always the most accurate or extensive.

As I recall, I gave Sarah and Greg (niece and son, respectively) a copy of this book to use while we did a family tour of London some years back, and they made good use of it. The
Emily M
Mar 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
If London was a guy, I would totally have sex with him in the back of a taxi cab. Or maybe on top of one of those double decker buses.

The Eyewitness guides can be annoying though because they don't tell you a ton of information about everything. They are like the little crackers you have before dinner, best to use in tandem with another more informative guide.
Stephanie Jackson
Great travel book with lots of useful snippets of information. I read the 2015 edition. Great book, mage me more excited for my trip!
Virginia
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: La consiglio a chi vuole consigli fast e molto leggibili sulle cose da vedere in ogni quartiere.
Credo che non compreró piú una guida di questa collana.
Il costo nettamente superiore alle altre, l'ha personalmente tenuta abbastanza lontano per diverso tempo, per cui arrivo tardi a capire come fosse strutturata.
Tardi nel senso che non é nata ieri, avrá come minimo dieci anni alle spalle di team e revisioni.

Ció nonostante, nonostante i bellissimi disegni, le studiate grafiche, la comoda mappa estraibile e un giusto peso alle informazioni in pillole su come organizzarsi, non la trovo una bella
rabbitprincess
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cadeau, non-fiction, 2012
This is a very eye-pleasing guide, lots of lovely photos, and the information is broken down very neatly by area. I liked the street-by-street views of the major sections of London, and of course the pull-out map at the back is a neat addition (also invaluable, since it depicts the Underground). The only real downside is that it's actually kind of heavy for a guidebook, and if you're planning to load up your suitcase with souvenirs, you may have to take that into consideration!
Marjolein
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
READ IN DUTCH

Ik vond dit een leuke, informatieve gids om mee te nemen op reis naar Londen. Hoewel ik zelf maar een dagje geweest ben, en dus nog niet een honderste heb kunnen doen van wat er allemaal geschreven is, geeft het toch allemaal een heel leuk gevoel om het allemaal alleen eens te lezen. Deze compacte serie is gelukkig niet zo zwaar en duur als de normale Capitool gidsen, wat meenemen of vakantie lekker makkelijk maakt! Hoezee!
Leslie
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Before my trip to England, I read three travel books on London and two histories of London. The 2012 DK edition was the best for planning. I didn't particularly agree with the "Four Great Days in London" section, but it was simple to ignore those two pages. I was happier to put together my own itinerary after reading the in-depth descriptions of London sites. Also, the pull-out map from this volume was the best map I found of London--extremely useful during touring.
Jon Higashi
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend reading this book if you're traveling to London. It took me awhile to get through it, and I don't think it's the best book to get off the plane with. Study it beforehand, and you'll be good to go. Lot's of nice color photos--which makes it kind of heavy, also another reason to to cart it around the streets.
Ke
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading it once thru was somewhat repetitive, but the book is well organized and it has a lot of valuable information.

It can be even more helpful for visitors, but as someone who wants to live in London, I learned a great deal too.

There are nice pictures, but I wished there was a better map of the greater London area.
Kristin
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read the new 2013 so I could plan my upcoming trip to London. This made me so excited. I thought the travel guide was fantastic. I practically read it from cover to cover. It had GREAT illustrations. It even gave a really nice illustrated history of London and timeline. I am so much more informed and prepared now. I read 3 others and this was my fave.
Amy
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the three guides I read prior to my trip, this is the one I took with me. Good map, well thought-out division into sections of the city, and really nice suggested walks made it a good way to see the highlights.
Jennifer Daniel
I'm on a big campaign to go on a European trip in 2013. I could never possibly see and do everything I want to so I am trying to narrow it down now. The Tower of London is a MUST SEE! (people were tortured there!) Cheeri-Oh!
Shannon
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Absolutely one of my favorite travel guides. I have a large collection of DK Eyewitness Guides and even though they update with new versions I hold on to my older ones for the gorgeous pictures.
Karen!
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: far-away-places
A great, comprehensive guide with all the information--but not overwhelming.

The maps are great, also.
Raquel
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tour guide... a lot of maps, and pictures, very well organized. Ill give it an extra star when I go to London and test it "in loco". ...more
Judy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Pretty much only good for the pictures...
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great London guide. I highlighted everything important and necessary for my personal knowledge and use. We'll see how it goes once I get there!
Lucy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a must if visiting London. Amazing book. Really thorough.
Kat
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous guides - bulky, but worth every penny for travel or for dreaming of future trips!
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Great street by street maps/overview and pictures.
Christina
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
The DK Eyewitness Guides are wonderful, and this is no exception. It has great pictures, detailed maps, and all of the basic information you need to plan a trip to London.
Don
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-guides
I love these travle guides - very colourful and visual with tons of great info!
Christine Barry
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very informative guide on London.
Kate
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to London! I've been there already, buy my traveling companion has not. Guide books are good, and this one is an excellent one.
Dhinda
Aug 31, 2015 added it
good
Countach
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-countries
It's great for the first trip to London. You'll get a good orientation cause of the dozen sheets!
Interesting Train Journeys from London 1 1 Nov 07, 2017 02:02AM
  • Paris
  • France
  • Ireland (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Amsterdam
  • Italy
  • Rome
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • New York
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Vienna
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Venice & the Veneto
  • Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Scotland

Eyewitness Travel Guides (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Amsterdam
  • Bali and Lombok (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Barcelona & Catalonia
  • Berlin (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Boston
  • Brazil (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Budapest
  • Bulgaria (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Canada (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Canary Islands (Eyewitness Travel Guide)

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis