Start by marking “Rome” as Want to Read:
Rome

Rome

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Eyewitness Travel Guide: Rome" will lead you straight to the best attractions this cultural city has to offer. With detailed listings of the best hotels, restaurants, bars and shops for all budgets in this fully updated and expanded guide, and insider tips on everything from soaking up the charms of the cafe scene to gaping at the ancient ruins that line the streets, there ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published October 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rome

Alan
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good maps and guides to museums, galleries etc. - we used it to guide us around Gallerie Borghese, the colosseum, Palatine and Forum, the Vatican and Bernini statues in Piazzas, and numerous churches, not forgetting restaurant recommendations and travel tips. Great - only criticisms are better indexing would help, and larger print (that's just me getting old). Then I left it in a cafe - ah well, it was the last day.
Kay
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the Eyewitness Travel Guides. The format is appealing -- a lavishly illustrated introductory section expounding on the history and key features of the city followed by color-coded sections, each devoted to a different area. The rear of the book is devoted to practicalities such as transportation, hotels, restaurants, and entertainment. Since it heavily relies on pictures rather than words, it's easy to pick up a guide, thumb through it, and let a striking photo serve as inspirat ...more
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction
Travel guide with lots of historical information. It is organized by area in Rome and gives historical information about many of the buildings found in each area. There are also sections on where to stay, eat, shop, and go for entertainment. Although small, the book is very heavy and wouldn't be very convenient to carry around with you while you are sightseeing. This is more of a resource to refer to before you go or that you keep in your hotel room during the day and refer to between sightseein ...more
Carolyn Dorstek
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ah, Roma! What can I say. This book was my buddy for a month before our trip and a week traveling the streets of Rome. Rome is mind boggling, but this book helped me to sort it out as best as can be expected for only spending a week there. We took the walks and were able to identify and understand many of the sights without taking a guided tour, which we vowed to avoid! The maps were the best I have encountered. The pictures were outstanding. We saw so many people with this book (in a dozen diff ...more
Ramita
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Great book to bring along/pick up at the local tobacconist for a trip in Rome.

PRO: Excellent at what it aims to do: tell you bits of this n that on numerous tourist (and not so tourist-y) sites, as well as enough history to get you immersed in the surrounding. Pretty pictures and cut-aways. Also good as a coffee-table book and a souvenir (don't forget to jot your own notes in it!)

CON: A bit on the heavy side, and the maps are not that detailed (better get the free updated pub. transport one fro
Catherine Woodman
These are very popular guidebooks in general, but I find them hard to use--very buys in their layout, and while there is good information in them, there is a lot of stuff that is just not of interest to me--drawings of things and such--and I find I can't really use them. THey do have phenomenal pictures and for me are helpful in plannign where I might like to see, but wouldn't recommend actually carrying it with you.
Kim
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, italy, rome
Essential reference and visual guide organized by neighborhood. Not just for trip preparation. Photocopy maps and Street Finder Index and take along on trip. Even tiny vicoli (narrow medieval streets) are included, though getting lost and serendipitous discoveries are part of the travel experience. After a trip, use the book to identify and read more about sights that you saw.
Christopher
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best travel book I have read on Rome. I used this book while touring Rome, but I recently sat down and read it again (cover to cover to reminisce and pick up on the history again). Great tidbits of history, great walkthroughs of the city, and great advice on where to eat and visit. I highly recommend this book to anyone going to Rome (and read it before you get there).
Tanya
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, i-own-it
I evidently forgot to review this travel guide after I used it in Rome. It did a good job of leading me through the city, and the full-color pictures and drawings were especially good (the biggest strength of the DK brand, in my opinion). I have since discovered Rick Steves' guides to Europe, however, and will always use them whenever they exist for a place I visit.
Stormy
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually my daughter's book. She lent it to me after her second (!) trip to Rome and I have been studying it since. I hope to travel there myself this coming June. Too much to see!
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. Not quite as good as being there, but useful to help the first time visitor being overwhelmed by options and history.
Rebecca
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I used the 2007 version. I read it cover to cover. I found it helpful when I visited Rome.
Melinda
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DK Eyewitness are the best travel books I've come across. Passed to my daughter who is currently studying overseas!
Danni
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and about as close to Rome as I am going to ever get. I loved the pictures and it was easy to understand.
Duncan
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
DK are always the best travel guides for my money
Ufuk Solmazlar
  • Paris
  • France
  • Venice & the Veneto
  • Amsterdam
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Barcelona & Catalonia
  • Ireland (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Italy
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • New York
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Scotland