Start by marking “The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters

The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters

Make That Crucial, Positive First Impression

Anyone who's researched the marketplace knows: The path to publication begins with your query letter. If your query is weak, unfocused, or uninspired, an editor or agent won't even bother to request your article, novel manuscript, or nonfiction book proposal. But a well-crafted, compelling query sent to the right editor or agent
Published January 2nd 2009 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters

Daniel Roy
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
You'd think there wouldn't be 200 pages worth of material to writing a query letter, but you'd be wrong. This book is straightforward, practical, and on topic all the way through. It's more focused on articles and nonfiction, I'd say, so perhaps it's not the best book for fiction queries; but for nonfiction, it's pretty stellar.

What was particularly useful to me were the numerous examples, both good and bad. It's clear that the author has query letters down to a science, and she's not just pushi
Lillie
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In my work as a freelance writer and editor, I don't write query letters. So I didn't expect to get a lot from this book. The author asked me to review it on my blog, and since I know many of my readers would benefit from help with query letters, I agreed to review it. It turned out that I really enjoyed the book. The author has a great sense of humor and put it to good use in the book. The examples of bad query letters were very helpful, and the variety of query letters she covered makes the bo ...more
Tyshawn Knight
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Do we even write queries anymore? I thought everyone was self-publishing. However, if you are still going the traditional publishing route, this book is a must have. It sums up the process pretty well and will make you a query pro if you want to waste your money on stamps when you could self-publish for the same cost as a book of stamps...
pianogal
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read. I wish it would have focused a little more on queries for fiction as opposed to all the magazine info. But there were still things from that I think are applicable to book world. I think tis one is going to be helpful.
Charles Chettiar
Good guid
Lozza
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked this and learned a lot of useful stuff.
Antica
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read for me; it's not only focusing on query letters for agents like I thought it would be but a big majority of the book concentrates on submitting queries to magazines. I skipped those sections and moved on to the sections concerning books, publishers and agents. The information I found was useful and I see myself referring back to it often

Heidi
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite kind of "how to" book, the kind with a lot of different samples. (Many authors and agents only give a couple of examples, usually their own or their clients.) So this one has the advantage of covering a wide range.
Tara
Mar 12, 2012 added it
Shelves: own, read-in-12
There's some helpful info here, but more than half the book wasn't applicable to me. The info for novelists is good, though. If you know nothing about queries, pick this up. If you already have a decent understanding of queries, you can skip it.
Viktoria
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone wanting to dabble into freelance writing. Filled with details, sample cover and query letters, what if scenarios and tons of resources. The writing is very light and funny but straight to the point.
Worth every penny.
Fee
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
very practical and a very nice read.
Jennifer Thompson
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is if your planing on being a writer, you need this book. The tips in this book made me take a hard look at my writing and sat me on the right path.
Jason Cantrell