Start by marking “Heather (Hart Land Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Heather (Hart Land Book 1)

Heather

(Hart Land #1)

"Small town, big family, and mismatches that will steal your heart! Delightful!" Roxanne St. Claire, New York Times bestselling author of the Dogfather Series.

Shenanigans and romance abound in the new Hart Land series from USA TODAY Bestselling Author Chris Keniston. Fall in love with the lakeside small town of Lawford, retired Marine Corps General Harold Hart, his artis
Published June 26th 2019 by Indie House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heather

Cynthia
Enjoyable

Heather is a Cardiac Surgeon and grew up by the lake with her sisters and cousins. Her grandparents are town staples. But she heard something going on in her grandfather voice when he called to see if she was coming up from Boston, she came early. Jake grew up there also and now runs the family hardware store. He's understood her nose in books, but now they are both grown up.
Darcy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I normally like series like this, the big family, coming back together, but this one didn't work for me. Heather came off a bit snooty, like she was too good for her family and only went back home after months because the dr. in her felt like she needed to see her Grandfather after talking to him and he seemed sick. Then there was the love interest, he came off as very wooden. In the end this one wasn't for me.
Coco.V
Jul 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/2/2019)! 🎁
Jessie Collins
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heather: Hart Land Series Book 1
Chris Keniston
Surgical Resident Heather Hart had just done her best Surgery to give baby Kyle a second chance. She was bone tired. Coffee was just not working. But something told her to check her voicemail. Count ‘em 10 Missed Calls, all from Family! Calls from her Mom, sisters Violet and Rose, Grams, and darn one from the General himself. The one from her grandfather nicknamed “the General”, because he had been one, was the most distressing. She kept promising to
Marti
Heather by Chris Keniston is the first book in a brand new series Hart Land. The series is based on the small town of Lawford (in NH) with the General (Harold Hart) and his wife, Fiona. They have nine single granddaughters who one by one will find their own love. Lucy the housekeeper is bound and determined to be matching them all up, but she is an accident waiting to happen. The General and Fiona run a small hospitality business with cabins, with their house full of people and laughter.

Heather
Pam
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chris Keniston has created another family series that touches your heart. Each book can be read as a stand alone but the characters do carry over from one book to another. The Preston family girls were all gifted with a flower name. Heather is the first story to be told.

Heather Preston is a cardiac surgeon but is getting overly stressed from her job. She doesn’t make it home very often to see her family but concern over her grandfathers health has her rearranging her schedule. She wants to fix
Garth Mailman
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forth book by this author I’ll have read. I prefer romances that deal with character development and plots that are not simply an excuse to have the love birds go for a roll in the hay or the sack as the case may be. Heather of the title is a female cardiac specialist, no minor feat in a surgical field dominated by men. She goes home to the Lake, her grandfather, the general’s home. There she runs into Jake, an all-round handyman and hardware store owner who also happens to be easy on the eyes. ...more
Bronwyn Parry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seems like yet another wonderful series!

Chris Keniston write wonderful, joyful, involving books. Once you start a series, you just want to keep going until you have read them all.....and then miss everyone you meet. This appears to be the beginning of another family I already know I will love. This particular story seems very gentle. There are no real conflicts, you aren't going to cry or get so involved you miss dinner but you are going to want to read the next chapter. Chris writes real people
Wendy Irving
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet story set amidst a warm extended family, but needs editing

There are so many awkward sentences, I had to reread something on nearly every page. The writing needs editing for fluency and proper punctuation. There are hundreds of missing commas between independent clauses, and there are other typos and grammar errors scattered throughout.

In spite of these very distracting technical problems, the story is sweet and heart-warming. The cast of likable characters is huge, and while it’s fun to r
Irene S
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heather is a cardiac surgeon working in a prestigious Boston hospital. Due to concerns about her grandfather’s health, Heather must go home for an extended weekend in a very long time. Jake, a former marine, owns the local hardware store, but he is also an angel to the elderly population fixing their homes for home good meals and desserts. When Heather literally runs into Jake when her shower handle breaks, Heather and Jake take a new look at each other. As she spends more time at home, she sees ...more
Linda Borgia
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always eagerly anticipate each new Chris Keniston series and the new Hart Land series does not disappoint. This is based around a multi generational family whose roots center on a lake resort property in New England The patriarch is a retired USMC General who dotes on his wife, 3 daughters and 9 granddaughters. This first book tells the story of Heather a cardiac surgeon in Boston who doesn’t have time for love, but her love of family brings her back to the lake and changes her life.

Wonderful
Monica
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chris Keniston knocks it out of the park once again with this sweet and angsty new series. With fun, lively, and intriguing characters and an interesting plot you will fall for this sweet family from Lawford.
      Heather Preston can't ignore that niggling feeling that something is terribly wrong after hearing her grandfather on the phone so she clears her schedule and heads home.  Running into Jake Harper in nothing but a towel isn't her intention but it sure seems to set off an interesting se
Barbara
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book one in the Hart Land series and I know I want to read the other books in this series. Boston cardiac surgeon Heather Preston gets a phone call from her Grandfather and she is on her way to the lakeside small town of Lawford. Jake Harper a former Marine now runs the hardware store and he has promised to help out at Hart House the home of retired Marine Corps General Harold Hart, his artistic wife Fiona, and matchmaking housekeeper Lucy. A great storyline with pages that flowed smoothly from ...more
Debbie Borthwick
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Jake & Heather’s love story, it is exactly the style I’ve come to love when reading Chris Keniston’s stories. I love all the characters in the book already, especially Grams & the General. What a magical place to grow up! This is the first book in the series and I can’t wait to read the love stories involving Heather’s sisters and cousins. And maybe Tom will be in one of them? I was gifted an advanced reader copy and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review of t ...more
Clarie Giselle Mercado
Cliché short story

No conflict just cheesy fall in love in five days type of romance. Add in the deviation from actual romance to include family and friends and you get smoldering looks and giddy teenage thoughts. I felt no sparks. Too much focus on family, surroundings and career that essentially it was like reading about the Gilmore girls where Rory likes her guy without the actual chemistry. It is an interesting story because it spoke of family, community and unity but felt too pretty and nic
Doni
I enjoyed reading it!
It is a refreshing & sweet romance.
It's about a large family that love
each other. General, the grandpa,
is the head of the family, with a
lot of granddaughters.
Heather, is an overworked Doctor.
The whole family try to get together
often, at the lake. Her schedule makes
it difficult. Heather, came up for the
weekend, concerned about the General.
Who she didn't expect to see is Jake.
Jake, after six years in the service,
he's home, running his family's business.
Heather & Jake
Sue Mehlert
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful💙💜💙

Absolutely loved Heather and Jake's story, what a joy for workaholic Heather. And where in the worldcan I find such a wonderful man as Jake??? The strong family ties within the story are brilliant and I'm sure many would be envious of. Thanks again Chris for another extremely well written book, please don't ever give up writing, as you bring so much pleasure to your readers.I wouldrecommend this to all. Sue 💜💙💜
Lynn Smith
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heather Hart Land Book 1

Heather hadn't been back to her grandparents home in quite awhile. But talking to her grandfather she thought he sounded off and was worried. Being a Dr she was determined to find out the truth. Jake grew up with Heather, her sisters and cousins. Being around Heather was doing something to his insides.
Sweet clean romance. Engaging characters. The kind you can't wait to read more about.
Alistair Ravie
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the sort of book I'd normally read but it was a freebie on Kindle. Actually enjoyed it, made a change, may read more.

Good simple story well told. No sex just a simple romance, the sort of story that would appear on your afternoon tv movie.

Heather, a heart surgeon, comes home to her family from her job after she suspects her father is ill. She meets Jake, a former marine (aren't they all), and they find themselves together. Nice uncomplicated romance.

Pat Christie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ebook, part of a series

She’s a heart surgeon going home for the week because she thinks her grandad is hiding an illness. He’s the veteran running the hardware store and helping out the community as well. They knew each other but now there’s something new, can you find love in a week?
Ellen White
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heather has high demands with her job as a surgeon, but concerned about her grandfather, and comes home. Finding so much more, the small town, friendly people and friends. Jake with his work helping the elderly, and sparks fly when he comes to help her. Enjoyed and how people and one’s plans can change
Bonnie A.
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So sweet

I loved Heather and Jake's story. They're both dedicated to helping others, Heather as a highly-skilled cardiac surgeon, and Jake, as the first one in line to volunteer to help anyone in need with any household repair. I especially lived the fact that there was no drama or role-playing between them. Just lovely.
Barbara
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful

This is a new author to me. It was a fairly quick, clean read with great characters, family dynamics, a lovely lake setting in a small town, and more. I love the caring and closeness of Heather’s family, and Jake’s helpfulness to those in need. It seems like the two dogs have matchmaking schemes of their own.
Frances Tobin
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

Story was a "catch your attention" from the beginning..life saving surgery. Then a trip to the family home for a reunion. It has everything from a wonderful family who the author has given life. Love and family and neighbors who care. Loved the General and the entire family and town. All with a happy ending.
Coral Mitchell
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heather is all about her job, barely making time to visit her family. Jake is a great guy, always helping those in need. Heather meeting Jake may just be what she needs to open her eyes to those around her and a slower pace.
Kathy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This was my first book by this author. I LOVED it! The story moved quickly and was delightful. The content is clean, uplifting, and hilarious! The characters are many in Hart Land but I look forward to hearing more of their stories.
Anne
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an ebook I was able to purchase for free at Amazon through the "Rebecca at Riffle" book emails I receive. I liked the book; I didn't love it. The characters were likable, but there was no real zing to the plot.
Nan Rapp
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy

I enjoy Chris Kenistons books. The stories are fun exciting and real. The General is a sly guy head over heals in love with his wife and many grand daughters. Ordering book 2 right now.
Pamela
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice family and ending

I got a bit lost in who was who with so many characters. Perhaps by reading more in the series it will get better. It seemed the romance was a bit rushed as the writing did not show why these two fell in love.
Catherine Geist
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting & a lot of twists

This book was a fantastic read.It was well written & Jake & Heather were fantastic charalcters.They put enough excitement with their family to keep your attention to the very end.Wonderful read.
« previous 1 3 next »
A native New Yorker, Chris Keniston was on her way to Australia when she fell in love with North Texas. Little did she know the balmy seventy-degree October days would turn into fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk heat in August!

Twenty years later, she started scribbling short stories about her favorite TV shows, giving them lives more to her liking - and the elusive happy ending. Not long after, a dear fr

Hart Land (5 books)
  • Lily (Hart Land Book 2)
  • Violet (Hart Land Book 3)
  • Iris (Hart Land Book 4)
  • Hyacinth (Hart Land Book 5)