Start by marking “Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives” as Want to Read:

Author of the iconic bestsellers This Is Your Brain on Music and The Organized Mind, Daniel Levitin turns his keen insights to what happens in our brains as we age, why we should think about health span, not life span, and, based on a rigorous analysis of neuroscientific evidence, what you can do to make the most of your seventies, eighties, and nineties today no matter ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Dutton Books

Start your review of Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives
Natalie Fincher
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I'm too dumb for this.
혜정
Jan 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
Iam seventy one years old woman. But I'd like to read new novels and listen to good music so that
I want to live by my self. When I have retired from professor five years ago I had depressed losted my punctual work. In my country many people thought as an unavailable person from retired their work. I have a complaint these conception. So I start to study regular lesson at open college and I always want to know how do I live my more older age.
I hope to meet and practice my life through
Roxanne
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a heavy book about how to age well. It is pretty scientific but it has good information.
Karen Ng
The book is more technical and scientific than I expected. I find some chapters too overwhelming and tedious even though I was a scientist before retirement; read hundreds of books on neuro/ cognitive science after my brain bleed 3 years ago. The author's researches were very thorough and interesting, but attempting to educate an average reader with function and anatomy of the human brain;personality traits; memory categorization; cognitive science; as well as the effects of genes, environment, ...more
Julius Adams
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
A lot of science to get to the same results people have known for a long time. Cicero said it all in his treatise in OLD AGE, summarized below. Same findings, just without the science. So what is new here? Don’t waste your money....

Below is a link to an excellent summary written by Dr. John Messerly on his web site, where you can read his entire commentary concerning Ciceros treatise. Thank you to him, it proves this book is not new or necessary in its philosophical thinking.

Robert Yokoyama
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to age successfully, and that is why I read this book. I can increase the neuroplasticity in my brain by learning something new things. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to change and adapt over time, I can increase neuroplasticity by learning to speak a new language. I grew up speaking Chinese, but I am hopeful that I can expand my vocabulary by taking lessons. I can also increase the neuroplasticity in my brain by performing in a theater. Learning how to memorize lines and ...more
Kathryn Bagg
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating, particularly Part Two - The Choices We Make. Encouraging to learn how many ways there are to influence our own wellbeing, no matter if thirty or eighty. Levitin writes in a positive way, and provides so may examples of how to improve ones lot. Recommend it to young and old alike.
Sara Goldenberg
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was super interesting and extremely well written.
Carlos Vasconcelos
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good but more of the same.
Taufik
Sadik Mohamed
sapan bagla
Tommy
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Fundy Vault
  • Little Black Lies
  • The Scientist and the Spy: A True Story of China, the FBI, and Industrial Espionage
  • The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains
  • Fall Down Dead (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #18)
  • Albatross
  • We Will Rise: A True Story of Tragedy and Resurrection in the American Heartland
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • American Dirt
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Strange Planet
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • The Better Liar
  • The Art of Resistance
  • Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different
Daniel J. Levitin runs the Laboratory for Musical Perception, Cognition and Expertise at McGill University, where he holds the Bell Chair in the Psychology of Electronic Communication. Before becoming a neuroscientist, he worked as a session musician, sound engineer and record producer. He has written extensively both in scientific journals and music trade magazines such as Grammy and Billboard.