Start by marking “The Golden Treasury of the Best Songs and Lyrical Poems in the English Language” as Want to Read:
The Golden Treasury of the Best Songs and Lyrical Poems in the English Language

The Golden Treasury of the Best Songs and Lyrical Poems in the English Language

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In the 1860s, Francis Turner Palgrave set out to collect the finest English lyrical poems in one volume. What he created was The Golden Treasury, an instant classic of verse anthologies. Over the last century, it has withstood the test of time as an immensely popular collection--becoming virtually synonymous with English verse for generations of readers.
Now available in a
Published July 18th 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Treasury of the Best Songs and Lyrical Poems in the English Language

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanAriel by Sylvia PlathShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. Eliot
Best Poetry Books
1,927 books — 2,046 voters
A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LovePeace, Love, & Romance by Jennifer TheriotThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1 by M.H. Abrams
Anthologies
281 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Anca
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me 4 years to finish. The "fault", if any is to be ascribed, is mine: my ability to consume long lyrical passages is underdeveloped. One big surprise, for me, was the poetry of Wordsworth and how much I preferred him to the more "cool" Lord Byron.
Regarding the edition, if you're reading the Gutenberg version there are some useful indexes and notes at the end that are in no way signaled through the book (o only found them at the end; would have been useful)
Lucy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could one not give five stars to a collection as comprehensive as this? OK, I'd have left out Swinburne and added some more of the Metaphysical poets, but this pocket-sized volume contains worlds.
Lynda
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have several editions of this anthology. It is my favorite poetry anthology.
emm
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A great collection of poetry.
Manish
Mar 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: growingup
This was my constant companion from when I was just 7 years old and I discovered this in my dead Uncle's library (1952 edition).
Lynne