Start by marking “Goodbye Paris” as Want to Read:

(Pono Hawkins #3)

Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins races from a Tahiti surfing contest to France when he learns that an ISIS terrorist he’d thought was dead, Mustafa al-Boudienne, has an Iranian backpack nuclear weapon and plans to destroy Paris. Pono was once Mustafa’s prisoner in Iraq, and is now the only one left alive to identify him.

When Pono reaches Paris he finds that his closest
Published June 11th 2019 by Big City Press (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Paris

Jeremy Reppy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is heavy on islamophobia, which might be off-putting to some readers. However, it is appropriate in the context of the plotline, which involves a suspected plot by Islamic terrorists to crash a French plane and/or blow-up the Eiffel Tower and/or set off a nuclear bomb in Paris. A significant part of the storyline is the increased Muslim presence in France, including the radicalization of Muslim youth in certain parts of Paris and other French towns and the reluctance/unwillingness of th ...more
Dan Curnutt
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Former Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins is called back to help the U.S., and the rest of the world, to find a terrorist that he has seen face to face. No one else knows what he looks like.

But when he gets too Paris to help his former team mate find the terrorist he discovers that his team mate has been kidnapped. Then that friends wife also turns up kidnapped.

Will Pono and his new French Connections be able to find his friend alive and in the process stop this terrorist from destroying Paris
Tom Burkholder
Jun 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the book Goodbye Paris, author Mike Bond writes about Pono Hawkins, who has been in the Special Forces and is now working for the CIA, kind of.
This was a very choppy read and confusing at time. There was lots of drug use and language as well as it was very anti-Islamic. I would not recommend this book. I received a copy of this e-book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Mark Easter
There are a lot of things to hate about this book, enough to give it at most two stars. However, after persevering to the end, I found that it got better in the final quarter of the book, and I ended up feeling it was not a completely irritating waste of time. First off, the lead character is terribly juvenile. His sexual proclivities are annoying. His socio-political positions are immature and often conflicting. His inner dialogue is often random, incoherent, and full of non sequiturs and disas ...more
Domenico
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can tell that Mike Bond is a poet. His word choice and the way he structures the narrative have that rhythm and flow, which makes the book all the more interesting to read, especially given its 1st-person viewpoint. That 1st person narrator is another strong point because it limits how much we can know about what's really going on and keeps us as off-balance as the main character, Pono. The action was also well done, written so as to be clearly understood what was happening.

My reservation, wha
Toni
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Pono Haawkins series. I didn’t have a hard time initially getting into this book. I was surprised by the reference to the destruction of Notre Dame since that was a fairly recent occurrence.

This is pretty straight forward action adventure thriller but I wasn’t captured by the main character or cared to root for him. That made it a slog to get through this title. All the references to Islamic terrorists made my eyes roll up into my head. I do enjoy action adventure b
Scott Parsons
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Pono Hawkins who is surfing in Hawaii receives a call from a friend in Paris who asks for his help. Given their shared history in Iraq, Pono flies to Paris and finds himself in the middle of a frantic hunt for a terrorist named Mustafa. The latter is suspected of masterminding a plot to crash an airplane into the Eiffel Tower or detonate a nuclear bomb in Paris. Pono's friend and war buddy is captured by the terrorists and he and the French special forces set out in a race to save him and sabota ...more
Carlos Mock
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Goodbye Paris by Mike Bond

This is a horrible book. I finished it, but it was torture. Raging Islamophobia that might be tolerable, since the plot is about a Muslim terrorist plot to destroy the Eiffel Tower, but because it constantly blames Islam and the Islamophile politicians for all of France's problems, it was dull and not effective.

The author uses the first person point of view, which makes caricatures of the characters. The plot is repetitive since at every nook and cranny racist islamoph
Andy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, arc
This is the first book that I've read from Mike Bond. Although this is the third book in the Pono series, skipping the previous two books does not make the storyline confusing or make you feel like you were missing something.
The book was obviously just edited and updated recently due to several references and conspiracy theories to the Notre Dame cathedral catching fire in Paris.
The main plotline focuses on some Islamic terrorists and their attempts to detonate a nuclear bomb. The book is pretty
Doreen Keele
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. This was quite an intense thriller and it definitely kept me reading! It is full of twists and shocks. I highly recommend this novel.
Sandra Pipitone
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so strange reading as the cathedral was destroyed: sometimes fiction is stranger than Truth! Again a book that makes you wonder WHAT is happening to the world as we know it? Scary, with the way things are.
Jay Williams
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Bond is my favorite author and I jumped at the chance for an ARC through NetGalley. Mike is a lyric author and his books are nothing short of works of art. The descriptions are not as intense as some of his earlier works, but he still provides a beautiful narrative that evokes images of great detail. This is Pono's third outing as the main character, and in this story it is much more about him and his relationships with his brother soldiers. I could not put this book down once I started rea ...more
Patricia Moren
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enthralling story by Mike Bond. This one is based in Paris and centres around the Islamist infiltration of the city. Some great characters and suspense and tension all the way through. Great read.
Doug Yonce
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always enjoyed Mike Bond novels for their excellent attention to detail and well-designed plots. As a result, I jumped into this book not having read previous entries in the series. I was not disappointed. With non-stop action and strong character development, Bond’s take on terrorism is addictive and timely.
Schuyler Wallace

Mike Bond has written several best-selling adventure novels. I’ve read some of them and liked them. If you like one, you’ll probably like all of them because they’re largely the same. His plotlines are basically the same; intense love, the longing for goodwill, the bloodshed of battle, sinister bad guys, and dangers that threaten our environment He’s traveled a lot and manages to incorporate the places he’s visited in his stories. He’s also an environmentalist so damage to nature is upfront in t
Sara
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing the ARC for me to read and review.
This is the first book I've read by Mike Bond. It is the third book in the Pono series but one doesn't need to read the first two to jump right in to this one. I live in Paris and his underlying thesis that
Islam is taking over Paris and France and that there are 22,000 terrorists here scared me and made me run to find out more about Mr. Bond and whether he writes from accurate information or makes things up to make the story
Amy
I received a copy of this story from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF: 20%

I love Paris and the French so something set there was intriguing. But from the beginning, this book was all wrong for me. I had to stop because it was too painful to slog through it. I don't always review books I didn't finish because I don't think that's necessarily fair but this wasn't a matter of personal taste. The writing wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. There were weird sentence fragments, s
Kay Brooks
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Novel Straight from Today’s Headlines

Paris is in danger. ISIS bombmaker Mustafa al-Boudienne is supposed to be dead, but he isn’t, and now he is threatening to destroy the Eiffel Tower. And set off a nuclear bomb in the city. Besides that, Pono’s best friend Mack needs him so he has to get to Paris. Fast. When he arrives, Mack is missing and soon his wife Gisele is, too. Pono has his work cut out for him or Goodbye Paris.

I’ll admit, it took me a few chapters before I could “get into” this book
Heath Henwood
By Mike Bond

3 stars

Perhaps Mike Bond best title

Fast flowing plot, with plenty of action

The story line wanders at times, and a good edit would clean this up.
Characters are as real as they get for this genre.

Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins races from Tahiti to France to hunt a terrorist, Mustafa al-Boudienne, who may have a nuclear weapon to destroy Paris. Joining allies from US and French intelligence, including a fearless and brilliant French agent, Anne Ronsard, with whom he s
Randal White
This was the first time that I have read one of the author's books. Bond writes in a fast moving, exciting, and thrill packed manner. This time, the main character, a former Special Forces soldier, is off to France to rescue one of his fellow soldiers, who has been kidnapped by a Islamic terrorist. Oh yeah, and to save Paris from a nuclear bomb that the terrorist also has.
Honestly, I found the story to be improbable. Too many coincidences and side plots. I found the book reminded me of the old
David
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disjointed and confusing plot that abruptly ends. The setting in Paris was interesting, but that was spoiled by the constant anti-Islamic rhetoric. Maybe the author is correct, that immigrants are destroying France and will soon take over the world. It may be partially true, but seems like the fear mongering that pervades social media and Fox News.
The first person perspective is interesting, but often moved into stream of consciousness. The plot of the novel was disjointed and the ultimate te
Diana Ellis
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This contemporary fictional story is interwoven with enough true facts and very recent history as to make it a frighteningly real scenario. The ex military American hero with his devil may care life attitude is snapped back into combat mode when sent to France to recognise a former enemy from his past and to rescue a comrade and his wife from the enemy's clutches. The love story evolves through the plot as he teams up with an agent whose husband was previously killed and her family. The tension ...more
Cathy Egan
I liked the suspense in this book, but that was about it. My first mistake was that this is the third book in a series, which put me at a disadvantage from the start. I liked the title of the book and usually like the suspense type books, but this one had a lot of violence, which gave me anxiety. The author is very vocal about his political views and theories and the main character was hard to figure out. I didn't even know his name until a third of the way thru the book. I only finished it beca ...more
Nancy
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pono Hawkins is called to come to Paris by his friend Mack. Pono gets there to find Mack has been captured by the terrorist who once held both of them when in Special Forces. Pono must work with the French Intelligence to stop a nuke bomb they believe will be used on the Eiffel Tower, Pono wants to save Mack and now his wife has been taken. That is number one with getting Mustafa but the relationship of the French with the Muslims is complicated. Time is running out.
MICHAEL E SWAIN
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike Bond manages to mix some realism, about the dangers of terrorism in France, with a fair amount of Idealization, of military buddies. You are entertained either by the studliness of Pono or the crafty evil of his opponent. Existential? Any thriller about nuclear annihilation would be. I am encouraged to read other Bond books.
Suzette
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scary take on how very messed up the world can become. Trust is in short supply as terrorism and politics continue to destroy people’s lives. Pono is trying to save his kidnapped friends but in order to do that he has to fight through the sinister and secretive levels of the security services. The author really looks at the anger in humanity for all the wrong reasons.
Jean A.
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I was unfamiliar with this author but guarantee that I will read anything else he happens to write. Thrillers are one of my favorite genres and this book delivered. It kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. I hated to have to put it down. The characters are well developed and likeable—what else could you ask for. I recommend this book without reservation.
Lovely Loveday
Goodbye Paris is the third book in the Pono Hawkins series by Mike Bond. An action thriller with twists and turns around every corner. I found it hard to get into the story with the reference to the destruction of Notre Dame since that was a fairly recent occurrence and numerous references to terrorists.  Goodeye Paris was a hard book for me to finish.
Shanna
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this thriller of a book and loved the current events that were set in the details. It was easy to follow, even though I have not read the first books in this series. However, would probably be even easier if read in order. First book by Mike Bond, but will not be my last.

Thank you to NetGalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
Jerry Goodwin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting take on the problems facing Europe in general and France in particular related to maintaining their traditions in the face of immigration and rapid growth of the Muslim population. The main characters are interesting but their escapades are a bit over the top. Writing is overdone in superlatives.
Goodreads Librari...: Add to Series - Pono Hawkins Series 2 12 Jun 06, 2019 03:23AM
MIKE BOND has been called the “master of the existential thriller” by the BBC and “one of the 21st century’s most exciting authors” by the Washington Times. He is a bestselling novelist, environmental activist, international energy expert, war and human rights correspondent and award-winning poet who has lived and worked in many remote and dangerous parts of the world. His critically acclaimed nov ...more

Pono Hawkins (3 books)
  • Saving Paradise (Pono Hawkins #1)
  • Killing Maine (Pono Hawkins #2)
“The first thing to understand about Islam is that it divides the world into the House of Islam and the House of War. And everything not Muslim is in the House of War, and needs to be taken over and Islamic law enforced.” 0 likes