Start by marking “A Morte Melancólica do Rapaz Ostra & Outras Estórias” as Want to Read:
A Morte Melancólica do Rapaz Ostra & Outras Estórias

A Morte Melancólica do Rapaz Ostra & Outras Estórias

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  29,673 ratings  ·  1,903 reviews
Depois do sucesso no cinema, o realizador Tim Burton apresenta-nos A Morte Melancólica do Rapaz Ostra, que reúne 23 histórias para miúdos e graúdos, em que as personagens são heróis especiais, sem super- -poderes, meros sobreviventes num mundo sem amor. Construídas com um humor sinistro, estas histórias são profusamente ilustradas por belíssimas gravuras que retratam de fo ...more
Published February 2007 by Antígona (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about A Morte Melancólica do Rapaz Ostra & Outras Estórias

·  29,673 ratings  ·  1,903 reviews

Tina
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is me--a huge Tim Burton fan (or so I thought):

One day, while carelessly browsing the Internets, I came across a book that I had no idea existed. I couldn't believe my eyes and felt especially stupid when realization hit me: I must have been living under a rock in a God-forsaken place, as never before had I heard of this book:

Of course, as soon as I realized that I had to have this book, another realization hit bullseye: remember that God-forsaken place, the one where I lived under a rock?
Amalia Gavea
‘’The final gasp of his short life
Was sickly with despair.
Whoever thought that you could die
From breathing outdoor air?’’

For most lovers of the 7th Art, Tim Burton is an incredible talent. For us Gothic aficionados, Tim Burton is a genius, a pioneer whose creations opened the audience's heart and mind to the contemporary Gothic style, aesthetics, and philosophy. He is the one who found the perfect balance between the satire of how most people perceive the Gothic wave, evident in Beetlejuice, a
Ahmad Sharabiani
The melancholy death of Oyster Boy & other stories, Timothy Walter Burton
The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a 1997 poetry book written and illustrated by American film director Timothy Walter Burton. The poems, which are full of black humor, tell stories of hybrid kids, spontaneous transformers, and women who have babies to win over men.
Some characters of the book would later appear in the Flash series Stainboy, which was created, directed, and written by Burton: Stick
Florencia
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: burton fans, dark humor lovers.
Recommended to Florencia by: me!
I am a fan of Burton's movies. So, I was kind of interested in his writings. It wasn't a big surprise to find out that the level of awesome weirdness was the same. The characteristic Burton mixture of darkness and uncomfortable tenderness.

I mean, he wrote some really freaky poems (technically, not that great, and that is a charming plus) but with such sweetness and sensibility that you feel touched. Well, most of the times, just sad. It is written in a way that seems to be funny, and for some p
Melki
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this tiny tome was sort of like taking a prolonged vacation on The Island of Really, Really Misfit Toys. The natives are strange but friendly. They take some getting used to, but after a while, you'll want to hug them...BUT be careful - many of them have sharp objects sticking out of their bellies.

description

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes

The Boy with Nails in His Eyes
put up his aluminum tree.
It looked pretty strange
because he couldn't see.

The above is a pretty good example of what's in this book
Cecily
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, poetry
A short collection of macabre poems, illustrated like a children's book, but aimed more at the YA market, and delightful for dark-thinking adults as well.

There are lots of gory things about eyes, stories of non-human children (toxic, half robot, half oyster etc) and a most inappropriate present from Santa.

Occasionally the rhythm doesn't quite work at the first attempt, but even so, it's great fun.

It is strongly reminiscent of Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children (my review HERE), bu
Ariel
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was FANTASTIC. OH MAN. SO GOOD.

I don't have much to say. It's a collection of short poems and accompanying doodles by Tim Burton. It's damned creepy, freaking depressing, laugh out loud funny, and utterly awesome.
amy ☂︎
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2018, reread
nothing but macabre, delightfully weird and absolutely nonsensical: this is why i'm a tim burton stan.

i couldn't have picked a better time to reread this. halloween month without burton content???? not in this household.

"The Boy with Nails in His Eyes
put up his aluminum tree.
It looked pretty strange
because he couldn't really see."

description

THIS IS THE //QUALITY CONTENT// I SIGNED UP FOR.

i would marry tim burton's humor if i could. most of his art just doesn't make sense at all, and that's why i fuck wi
Rebecca McNutt
This collection of dark comedy poetry was at times very funny and creative, but at other times too strange for its own good. It's a good balance I guess, my favourite one being the 'Toxic Boy' poem.
Kyriaki
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Τι τέλειο μικρούτσικο βιβλιαράκι ήταν αυτό! Γκυκούτσικες και σκοτεινούτσικες ιστοριούλες γραμμένες σε στοίχους με πολύ ωραία διακριτικά, χρωματιστά και ασπρόμαυρα σχεδιάκια, πολύ πολύ ταιριαστά με την ατμόσφαιρα του βιβλίου!!
Πολύ πολύ μου άρεσε!
Asghar Abbas
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I wonder what it would be like to live inside Tim Burton's head ala Being John Malkovich, such talent, such virile imaginations, to dwell within his noggin for a while, you know? I don't know why but for some reason I have always held Burton's creativity on par with Neil Gaiman's, though their style is very dissimilar, but both have distinct styles, that's almost as important as talent. I feel these little stories about grotesque beauty, and what a beauty it was, were full of metaphors, heavy wi
Kenny
I needed to read today. I didn't want to simply read, I NEDDED to read . I felt a need to clear the voices of Mrs. Dalloway from my mind. The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories, was the perfect book to do so.

This is a collection of grim short poems/stories depicting the lives and misfortunes of a group of sympathetic outcasts as they try to find their place in the world -- often with tragic results.

A stick boy finds himself engulfed in flames when he falls in love with the wrong
Annelies
:-)
Flor
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un poemario gótico y con humor al mejor estilo de Tim Burton .!! 🖤

Me duró menos de media hora jajaj pero lo disfruté mucho .!!

Los que más me gustaron fueron :

🖤Chico mancha
🖤La melancólica muerte de chico ostra
🖤La chica vudú
🖤Chico tóxico
🖤Chico momia
🖤Chico ancla
Parnian
از تیم برتونی که این بالا نوشتم میشه حدس زد که این یه کتاب متفاوته.
مجموعه ایه از داستان های خیلی کوتاه با تصویرهای فوق العاده جذاب و سوژه های عجیب غریب!

سوژه های این کتاب اغلب بچه هایی هستن که به نحوی غیر طبیعی هستن و به همین دلیل تنهان و طرد شده ن.
نویسنده با لحن بیخیال و بچگانه چیزایی میگه که در عین خنده دار و مسخره بودن، غم انگیزن. بر خلاف ظاهرش از نظر من این کتاب مناسب بچه ها نیست!
خیلی کتاب ظریف و دوست داشتنی ایه.
Foad
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فانتزی
خیلی جالب بود. ممنون از بزرگوارانی که معرفی کردن.
شیوه ی کار تیم برتون توی فیلم هاش رو میشه "فانتزی سیاه" نامید. یعنی ایده های فانتزی ای که همراه با وحشت و مرگ هستن. این فانتزی ابداً برای بچه ها نیست. انیمیشن های معروف برتون توی این حال و هوا، کابوس پیش از کریسمس و عروس مرده هستش.

فضای این کتاب، تلفیقی از فانتزی سیاه تیم برتون و طنز شل سیلور استاینه: ترکیب طنز و وحشت.
نتیجه خوب از آب دراومده. هر چند بعضیاشون میتونستن خیلی بهتر باشن.
Aldrin
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Half-oyster, half-boy, Oyster Boy is born to a perfectly human couple who supposedly conceived him after dining on “one spectatular dish- / a simmering stew of mollusks and fish.” Growing up, Oyster Boy, whose proper name is Sam but is sometimes called "that thing that looks like a clam," becomes a laughingstock (“When the Thompson quadruplets espied him one day, / they called him a bivalve and ran quickly away.) and a picture of sadness and reticence (“One spring afternoon, / Sam was left in th ...more
Sara
دوتا چیز مهم فقط:
کاغذ خیلی زیادی حیف شده
و خوندنش به فارسی لطفی نداره

حالا کلا متنشم عجیب غریب و غیردوستداشتنی بود برام. اما به انگلیسیش حداقل باعث میشد از شعر بودنش لذت ببرم

کلا نمیدونم چرا توقعم از این کتاب انقدر بالا بود
María
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libros-2018
Llevo unos días sin ganas de leer y como hoy me he levantado contenta, he decidido coger este libro de la estaría y leérmelo. La verdad es que me apetecía una lectura amena y en inglés (hace ya mucho tiempo que no leo nada en inglés).
Es un libro lleno de historias bastante cortas y extrañas. A medida que iba leyendo me iba acostumbrando a ello, pero cuando leí la primera historia me quedé en plan WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????
Mi historia favorita es la meláncolica muerte del ch
Somayeh
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
خیلی خوب بود, خیلی
داستان-شعر های این کتاب دقیقا توی همون فضای انیمیشن عروس مرده یا کابوس قبل از کریسمس بودند

اگر طرفدار کارهای تیم برتون هستید حتما بخونیدش
اینم تصویر بعضی از شخصیتهای این کتاب:)

Ema
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Tim Burton's movies for their beautiful cinematography and sense of macabre with a pinch of dark humor.
His poetry is right up my alley, just like the stories of Edward Gorey (who is known to have influenced Burton).

Roy, the Toxic Boy

To those who knew him
-his friends-
we called him Roy.
To others he was known
as that horrible Toxic Boy.

He loved ammonia and asbestos,
and lots of cigarette smoke.
What he breathed in for air
would make other people choke!

His very favorite toy
was a can of aerosol
Coos Burton
De tanto en tanto decido volver a la melancolía que emana este libro, para reconfortarme entre las trágicas historias de cada personaje. Creo que no es ninguna novedad que Tim Burton es una de mis personas favoritas en la vida. Como director, como artista, simplemente amo su percepción del arte, su ojo macabro y el tinte gótico en todo lo que hace. Este libro es una recopilación de poemas al estilo Gorey (que, notablemente, es una de las grandes fuentes de inspiración del director) donde nos enc ...more
Jim
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn!!! This is so dark but funny so Tim Burton

Its a collection of very short stories about very strange beings. There are no happy endings at all. You see all of those likeable people ( or matchsticks or whatever ) and you think, aww its sad what happened with them, i bet things will be good in the end.........NO.
Im not proud but i laughed with the most of the stories, is it something wrong with me? should i be worried?

Read this book, i don't know why or how but it will cheer you up
Danni The Girl
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reading
The melancholy death of the oyster boy was the creepiest one for me I think.

Very short, very weird.

Tim Burton I think has such a vast imagination which I thoroughly enjoy

Although I’m not sure if he’s trying to tell us all that having a child to save a relationship will be the ruin of you?

Interesting
Roberta Frontini (Blogue FLAMES)
Excelente! Toda a gente devia ler :p super super super divertido. Só queria que durasse bem mais!
Kaitlin
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of very very short stories which are all written in verse and have an accompanying illustration or illustrations. This whole book was written and illustrated by Tim Burton who is one of my favourite artists and I was very intrigued when I stumbled across this on Amazon. It's a very small book but it's a brilliant one and I have to say that it was better than I thought it would be.

This collection showcases some of Burton's weird character ideas and stories and whilst some sto
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
“Son, are you happy?
I don't mean to pry,
but do you dream of Heaven?
Have you ever wanted to die?”

4.5 stars because honestly it's just plain creepy and I want more!

As a Tim Burton fan myself, I never heard of this until my cousin, who's probably the BIGGEST Tim Burton fan ever (she wears black and she collects EVERYTHING Tim Burton and I'm rather jealous lol) showed me the book one day when I was visiting. It's the most wondrous and bizarre read I could ever have the pleasure of experiencing. It
Viv JM
I picked this up on a whim and am glad I did! This short collection of stories told in verse is (as you'd expect from Tim Burton) funny, twisted, horrifying, macabre and somehow also rather poignant. The illustrations are marvellous too. Personal fave, The Pincushion Queen:

Life isn't easy
for the Pin Cushion Queen.
When she sits on her throne
pins push through her spleen.

Franco  Santos
Siniestro, gótico, oscuro. Un libro de Tim Burton no podría no ser así. Es una seguidilla de historias tristes y obviamente tétricas. Me gustó.
Robert Beveridge
Tim Burton, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories (Morrow, 1997)

Someone needs to explain this to me and fast, `cause I don't get it: how is it that bad poetry (and yes, folks, this is truly bad) and art that looks like a second-rate Edward Gorey ripoff (Burton is not the illustrator that he is the sculptor and animator) can be so insanely funny? I am completely at a loss for why I liked this anywhere near as much as I did.

Let's face it, if you squint right while watching The Night
  • Tim Burton
  • Something at the Window Is Scratching: Children's Tales for Disturbed Children
  • Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Amphigorey Too (Amphigorey, #2)
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness
  • Masters of Cinema: Tim Burton
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes I
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
Timothy "Tim" William Burton is a prolific American film director/writer, best known for the dark imagery and quirky nature of his popular films. He is also the author and illustrator of the poetry collection "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories."
“Stick Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot.
He liked her cute figure,
he thought she was hot.

But could a flame ever burn
for a match and a stick?
It did quite literally;
he burned up quick.”
433 likes
“Son, are you happy?
I don't mean to pry,
but do you dream of Heaven?
Have you ever wanted to die?”
217 likes