Start by marking “I Never Left” as Want to Read:
I Never Left

I Never Left

My name is Quinn Roberts and I was murdered.
Quinn Roberts is dead and she wants to know how it happened. She’s angry, confused and disappointed that her life is over. Most of her friends have moved on and it seems like no one cares who was responsible. Her adult children are in shock but their mother’s death is too painful, so they do nothing.

Soon after her murder, Quinn’s
Published May 22nd 2019 by Bloodhound Books (first published May 17th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about I Never Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Left

Start your review of I Never Left
Linda Strong
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

Quinn Roberts was murdered. Now she wants to know why .....

She's frustrated because she doesn't know exactly where she is ... she's there, but not here. She sees and hears her children, other family members mourn her passing. Her friends, though, seem to forget about her in short order.

Quinn was in the midst of a contentious divorce from her husband, Alec. He was a cheater for many of their 20 plus years together. Now it seems he has taken a new wife .. and a new life.

Detective John McQuillan le
Lou
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All too frequently regular readers come across a very annoying situation: a fantastic fictional concept but poor execution. However, this is the first time in a while in which both the concept and execution are both impressive. Told from the perspective of the deceased — Quinn — and her family, we are taken on a captivating journey through the relevant parts of her life. It's a beautifully written psychological drama crossed with a murder mystery and will have you engaged and immersed in the sto ...more
The Cats’ Mother
I Never Left (previously titled I Am Quinn) is a stand-alone domestic suspense novel published last year. Something made me buy it, even though I’d never heard of the author and have been trying hard to limit buying books when I already have so many to read, I think it was the scenario of a story being told by the ghost of a murder victim that intrigued me. It then sat on my Kindle awaiting it’s turn, but then I recently joined the author’s Advance Review Team so bumped it up the list. She has e ...more
Jayne
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Since "I Never Left" was written from the POV of a deceased protagonist (Quinn),  this book instantly reminded me of "The Lovely Bones."  The similarities to "The Lovely Bones" stop there, however, and this compelling domestic suspense drama is in a league of its own.

In "The Lovely Bones" readers immediately know who murdered the protagonist.   In "I Never Left",  readers join Quinn in awaiting answers to these most pressing questions:   Who killed 40-year old Quinn Roberts,  and why?  And why
marnie | once upon a time book reviews
What can I say about this book. Firstly what a debut! I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy that I read earlier this month, and secondly since then, I still have not been able to get this story out of my head!

I have never read anything like this before!

What makes this story great and stand out from others in this genre, is that throughout the book in parts, it is written from the perspective of Quinn Roberts after her death has taken place, which is a brilliant concept.

Set in the town of
Diane Warburton
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing read cleverly written in a unique and interesting way. Quinn Roberts is dead. She knows she is dead but can not understand why. Her soul will not rest and she watches her family and friends with sadness and confusion since her departure. Can she be so easily forgotten?... and why do the police keep coming to a dead end on their investigation? Who is holding things back? Who has secrets? Quinn was a popular schoolgirl and a well loved woman throughout her life. Who would want her de ...more
Jo Walker
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so repetitive and slow. I read it on the basis of good reviews and then had to check a few times if I was reading the same book. I liked the idea of the story but it wasn't very well written and jumped about in time too much. ...more
Krista (A Crease In The Spine Book Reviews)
This is an outstanding psychological drama filled with well concieved characters.

This story not only gets in regular narration from characters but also from the deceased similar to The Lovely Bones.

It is also a more realistic story in that it takes a number of years to bring the killer to justice.it was well written and the chapters were short.

I was so caught up in this book that I read this in one sitting. McGarvey is a fantastic storyteller and shes a debut author and I look forward to her ot
Audrey Gibson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has gone into my top 3 best EVER reads. It's different from the norm which makes it stand out in my opinion. I was in the book, totally engrossed and didn't noticed anything going on around me. I can't put into words how good this story is. AMAZING!!!!!! ...more
Kira
Jun 22, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Another Kindle Unlimited DNF. Quelle surprise. I got to 44% and the book was soooo slow I just couldn't take any more. The idea has been done before, and much better, in The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Besides, when you have the main character as a ghost, you don't start the book out with her decaying body (5+ days dead). Gross. That turned me off from the beginning, and Quinn's failing to stand up to her husband, who was obviously mistreating her in more ways than one (no spoilers in case you ...more
Chris Nolan
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an impressive debut from McGarvey Black and a fine edition to the Bloodhound Books roster. The premise is unusual: Quinn herself announces at the beginning that she is dead and we follow the story from her point of view principally, but also that of her husband, children and parents. Flashbacks, first and third person narrative, clever and witty dialogue all combine to make a super read.
Adrian Lawrence
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memorable
So enjoyable I kept thinking about this book long after I finished it. It's an unusual, harrowing and painful story but written in such a light and airy way. Most books have at least one chapter where the ending compels you to start the next one immediately, this book was like that throughout; cost me a lot of sleep.
Alyson Read
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn Roberts was in her forties and had recently escaped from a violent controlling marriage after her children were adult and old enough to fend for themselves. She had been involved with Alec since her late teens when she was once the prettiest and most adored girl in school with everything going for her, and had suspected for years that he was carrying on with his young students from the university where he taught history as a professor. Whilst in the middle of a fractious divorce and trying ...more
Lel Budge
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloodhound
This starts with Quinn attending her own funeral…..!

Quinn’s friend Viv is really concerned as no-one has heard from her, so she persuades her landlady to check her apartment…..there they find her body surrounded by pills……was this suicide?

Quinn did have mental health issues, but the police find this was murder….just who wanted her dead…..they suspect Alec, the cheating, abusive and estranged husband, about to divorce, but he has an alibi…….

Just who was responsible for Quinn’s death…..her family
Gina Jones
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s always the husband, or is it?

Quinn had many reasons to end her life, and maybe that’s just what she did. But when we begin to follow her life, we find a string of jealous friends, a cheating husband, and a son who was embarrassed of his mother.

To find the truth, Detective McQ will spend the next several years searching for the true killer of the woman who’s picture is on his desk. Who would want to kill a woman who was the beauty queen, the perfect wife and mother and sister’s best friend?
Ruth Matheson
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slightly different read from most murder /mysteries as throughout the book we get input from the deceased. It is also a more realistic story in that it takes a number of years to bring the killer to justice. As the reader, you're in that grey area of did he or didn't he although your instinct knows which way to go just not how! Also was Quinn - the deceased - as mad as she is made out to be by various people.

There are a few underlying threads which are woven well into the story espe
Alex
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one to read books by first time authors, but when a friend recommended I Am Quinn, I thought I'd give it a try. Figured if I wasn't hooked after the first few pages, I'd put it down.

Well, I read the book in one straight shot. Pulled me in from the start. I connected with the characters and found the author's approach to storytelling unique (I mean that in a good way).

Great read when you have a free afternoon.

Philomena Callan Cheekypee
This is a cleverly written story that will stay with me for a while. The synopsis was interesting enough for me to want to read it and I’m glad I did.

The main character is Quinn who is dead. We get the story through her and other family members.

I’m not gonna say much about the storyline. You need to read this. It’s so so good.

Brilliant well written debut novel that I really enjoyed. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Jc
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut book of McGarvey Black absolutely hits the ball out of the park! The author does a masterful job of slowly building layer upon layer of this psychological mystery thriller. The development of the characters and the plot are superbly paced. The different perspectives used to tell the story, are used in perfect combinations to keep you reading, anxious to see how things unfold. I found myself hooked & anxiously awaiting future books from this exciting author!
Leona
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book from a recommendation in The Book Club on Facebook . Knowing I had to read this book I immediately bought it on Amazon . Well right from the first page this book hooked me right in and keep me right there until the final page . The dialogue in this book was brilliant , great characters even if some were unlikeable, in fact everything about this book was just superb. A massive 5 star read from me .
Misty Neeb
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much! Great character development and story. It kept my attention and I looked forward to reading it every day.

The start of the book was a little odd and I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I'm SO glad I hung in there. Personally I don't believe in an afterlife or anything like that. But I find some books about it fascinating. The Lovely Bones is a decent example of this. In my opinion this book is better than The Lovely Bones, although I can't put my finger on ex
Peter Daniels
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy and a recommendation to read this book. It did not disappoint! The pace of the plot is just right and the characters are spot on. The title character who is dead makes periodic appearances at just the right moments to advance the storyline to a satisfying conclusion.
All in all, a fun read and kudos to this first time author.
BTW, this story would make a terrific movie.
Kerena Swan
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Never Left is a well-written story of a family's desperate and heartfelt journey as they battle to find out what really happened to their loved one and who killed her. I particularly enjoyed the subtle layering of characters personalities making them three dimensional and intriguing. I felt as though I was watching a true crime documentary and was hooked until the end to find out how the perpetrator was finally caught. The only improvement I'd like to have seen was more understanding about Qui ...more
Marlene Pedersen
Author cleverly inserts the voice of the murdered victim while the search for the murderer unfolds. Good read, keeps your interest throughout - all the way to the satisfying end
Natalie Wicks
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read in a long while! Highly recommend. Looking forward to reading more books by this author.
Nan Christine  Borton-Smith
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blown Away!

This is one of those books that will stay with you. I admit it took a few chapters before I was hooked but once I was ...I couldn’t stop.
The writer wrote from the perspective of the characters and they were layered exquisitely.
Love a mystery, domestic noir ? Read this, you won’t be disappointed.
S Mitchell
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Untouchable, magnificent book!

Written in the most spellbinding haunting way which entices the reader to enter a different kind of zone at many different levels. Through the keyhole events which peel away like an onion and leave you guessing throughout. I would have liked a different twist at the end and was hungrily expecting it because I really didn’t want to put this book down, it had become my life you see... The characters became my total purpose and breath from beginning to end, I lived wit
Emma-louise Smith
Amazing. Loved every second. Lots of twists and turns and the perspective written was so good.
Agnès
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wow, such a great story!!
Tracy Vankrimpen

• Let Me In
  • Trauma
  • My Better Half
  • My Husband's Secret
  • Left Hanging: What price would you pay to save your marriage?
  • 4 Riverside Close
  • From Cradle to Grave (Totally Gripping Psychological Thrillers)
  • The Last Door
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • The Missing Piece
  • Anything For You
  • The Other Woman
  • The Other Wife
  • I Know What You Did
  • The Beginning After
I am the author of three mystery/suspense novels and have the romantic comedy THE FUSSY VIRGIN coming out in February 8, 2021, just in time for Valentine's Day.

My suspense novels tend to be character driven and I try to throw in lots of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. I also love Romantic Comedies which are also character driven and filled with humor.

I am married, have two childre

News & Interviews