Start by marking “I Never Left” as Want to Read:
I Never Left

I Never Left

My name is Quinn Roberts and I was murdered.
Quinn Roberts is dead and she wants to know how it happened. She’s angry, confused and disappointed that her life is over. Most of her friends have moved on and it seems like no one cares who was responsible. Her adult children are in shock but their mother’s death is too painful, so they do nothing.

Soon after her murder, Quinn’s
Published May 22nd 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about I Never Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Left

Start your review of I Never Left
Linda Strong
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

Quinn Roberts was murdered. Now she wants to know why .....

She's frustrated because she doesn't know exactly where she is ... she's there, but not here. She sees and hears her children, other family members mourn her passing. Her friends, though, seem to forget about her in short order.

Quinn was in the midst of a contentious divorce from her husband, Alec. He was a cheater for many of their 20 plus years together. Now it seems he has taken a new wife .. and a new life.

Detective John McQuillan
Lou
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All too frequently regular readers come across a very annoying situation: a fantastic fictional concept but poor execution. However, this is the first time in a while in which both the concept and execution are both impressive. Told from the perspective of the deceased — Quinn — and her family, we are taken on a captivating journey through the relevant parts of her life. It's a beautifully written psychological drama crossed with a murder mystery and will have you engaged and immersed in the ...more
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
What can I say about this book. Firstly what a debut! I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy that I read earlier this month, and secondly since then, I still have not been able to get this story out of my head!

I have never read anything like this before!

What makes this story great and stand out from others in this genre, is that throughout the book in parts, it is written from the perspective of Quinn Roberts after her death has taken place, which is a brilliant concept.

Set in the town of
Audrey Gibson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has gone into my top 3 best EVER reads. It's different from the norm which makes it stand out in my opinion. I was in the book, totally engrossed and didn't noticed anything going on around me. I can't put into words how good this story is. AMAZING!!!!!!
Kira FlowerChild
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Another Kindle Unlimited DNF. Quelle surprise. I got to 44% and the book was soooo slow I just couldn't take any more. The idea has been done before, and much better, in The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Besides, when you have the main character as a ghost, you don't start the book out with her decaying body (5+ days dead). Gross. That turned me off from the beginning, and Quinn's failing to stand up to her husband, who was obviously mistreating her in more ways than one (no spoilers in case you ...more
Adrian Lawrence
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memorable
So enjoyable I kept thinking about this book long after I finished it. It's an unusual, harrowing and painful story but written in such a light and airy way. Most books have at least one chapter where the ending compels you to start the next one immediately, this book was like that throughout; cost me a lot of sleep.
Jo Walker
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so repetitive and slow. I read it on the basis of good reviews and then had to check a few times if I was reading the same book. I liked the idea of the story but it wasn't very well written and jumped about in time too much.
Alyson Read
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn Roberts was in her forties and had recently escaped from a violent controlling marriage after her children were adult and old enough to fend for themselves. She had been involved with Alec since her late teens when she was once the prettiest and most adored girl in school with everything going for her, and had suspected for years that he was carrying on with his young students from the university where he taught history as a professor. Whilst in the middle of a fractious divorce and trying ...more
Diane Warburton
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing read cleverly written in a unique and interesting way. Quinn Roberts is dead. She knows she is dead but can not understand why. Her soul will not rest and she watches her family and friends with sadness and confusion since her departure. Can she be so easily forgotten?... and why do the police keep coming to a dead end on their investigation? Who is holding things back? Who has secrets? Quinn was a popular schoolgirl and a well loved woman throughout her life. Who would want her ...more
Lel Budge
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloodhound
This starts with Quinn attending her own funeral…..!

Quinn’s friend Viv is really concerned as no-one has heard from her, so she persuades her landlady to check her apartment…..there they find her body surrounded by pills……was this suicide?

Quinn did have mental health issues, but the police find this was murder….just who wanted her dead…..they suspect Alec, the cheating, abusive and estranged husband, about to divorce, but he has an alibi…….

Just who was responsible for Quinn’s death…..her family
Gina Jones
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s always the husband, or is it?

Quinn had many reasons to end her life, and maybe that’s just what she did. But when we begin to follow her life, we find a string of jealous friends, a cheating husband, and a son who was embarrassed of his mother.

To find the truth, Detective McQ will spend the next several years searching for the true killer of the woman who’s picture is on his desk. Who would want to kill a woman who was the beauty queen, the perfect wife and mother and sister’s best friend?
Ruth Matheson
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slightly different read from most murder /mysteries as throughout the book we get input from the deceased. It is also a more realistic story in that it takes a number of years to bring the killer to justice. As the reader, you're in that grey area of did he or didn't he although your instinct knows which way to go just not how! Also was Quinn - the deceased - as mad as she is made out to be by various people.

There are a few underlying threads which are woven well into the story
Jc
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut book of McGarvey Black absolutely hits the ball out of the park! The author does a masterful job of slowly building layer upon layer of this psychological mystery thriller. The development of the characters and the plot are superbly paced. The different perspectives used to tell the story, are used in perfect combinations to keep you reading, anxious to see how things unfold. I found myself hooked & anxiously awaiting future books from this exciting author!
Leona
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book from a recommendation in The Book Club on Facebook . Knowing I had to read this book I immediately bought it on Amazon . Well right from the first page this book hooked me right in and keep me right there until the final page . The dialogue in this book was brilliant , great characters even if some were unlikeable, in fact everything about this book was just superb. A massive 5 star read from me .
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
This is a cleverly written story that will stay with me for a while. The synopsis was interesting enough for me to want to read it and I’m glad I did.

The main character is Quinn who is dead. We get the story through her and other family members.

I’m not gonna say much about the storyline. You need to read this. It’s so so good.

Brilliant well written debut novel that I really enjoyed. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Alex
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one to read books by first time authors, but when a friend recommended I Am Quinn, I thought I'd give it a try. Figured if I wasn't hooked after the first few pages, I'd put it down.

Well, I read the book in one straight shot. Pulled me in from the start. I connected with the characters and found the author's approach to storytelling unique (I mean that in a good way).

Great read when you have a free afternoon.

Peter Daniels
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to get an advance copy and a recommendation to read this book. It did not disappoint! The pace of the plot is just right and the characters are spot on. The title character who is dead makes periodic appearances at just the right moments to advance the storyline to a satisfying conclusion.
All in all, a fun read and kudos to this first time author.
BTW, this story would make a terrific movie.
Kerena Swan
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Never Left is a well-written story of a family's desperate and heartfelt journey as they battle to find out what really happened to their loved one and who killed her. I particularly enjoyed the subtle layering of characters personalities making them three dimensional and intriguing. I felt as though I was watching a true crime documentary and was hooked until the end to find out how the perpetrator was finally caught. The only improvement I'd like to have seen was more understanding about ...more
Chris Nolan
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an impressive debut from McGarvey Black and a fine edition to the Bloodhound Books roster. The premise is unusual: Quinn herself announces at the beginning that she is dead and we follow the story from her point of view principally, but also that of her husband, children and parents. Flashbacks, first and third person narrative, clever and witty dialogue all combine to make a super read.
Natalie Wicks
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read in a long while! Highly recommend. Looking forward to reading more books by this author.
Marlene Pedersen
Author cleverly inserts the voice of the murdered victim while the search for the murderer unfolds. Good read, keeps your interest throughout - all the way to the satisfying end
Agnès
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wow, such a great story!!
Emma-louise Smith
Amazing. Loved every second. Lots of twists and turns and the perspective written was so good.
Mickey
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quinn is dead. She tells readers this fact on the first page of this enticing new novel by McGarvey Black. And Quinn continues to tell us about her life and her sudden, brutal death, which she can't quite figure out. Who killed her and why? Red flags wave in the face of her greedy and cheap (traits that so often go together) almost-ex-husband who didn't want to pay alimony. Now he doesn't have to.

Quinn's devoted sister and her husband want the killer to be identified and arrested. They and the
Tracy Vankrimpen
I loved this book.
Barbara Williams
Truly intriguing

Sometimes solving a crime can take a long arduous journey. "I Never Left" is just such a story. The theories, reasons, and suspects are many. The every present vigilance of family can help, but just the right clue can bring down the house of cards. Good story. Enjoyed the perspective from the unusual point of view.
Mark
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

There's not a woman (or a man) who won't recognize these characters in real life. A page turner for sure!
Dan Malakin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An emotional and compelling psychological suspense novel.

I never left is the intriguing story of Quinn Roberts, who is found dead, apparently by her own hand. Over the course of the book the truth about her life – her fragile mental health and abusive husband – come to life, and we’re plunged into the mystery of how she really died.

Intelligently told from multiple viewpoints, including Quinn herself, speaking Lovely Bones style from the afterlife, more and more about the events from that day
Colette Lamberth
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So you know from the blurb that Quinn was murdered but who was responsible. I quite liked that in part the story was narrated by Quinn herself. There was some repetition as we got the different character’s accounts of the same events but I felt that added to the story. I always give credit to authors who create characters that trigger strong emotion and I had that in spades here with Alec. He is a full on boo hiss baddie. A very good read and I’ll be keen to read more from this author.
Mary Johnson
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I will start by saying that I immediately looked for more books by this author and saddened not to find any. If this is a debut book, I can’t wait to read more!

The characters are all well rounded and realistic - sadly even the nasties. The story held me captive as the plot unfolds from the perspective of the puzzled, murdered woman to those around her. Back an forth the reader begins to see the people before and after the death and (alongside the chatty ghost) make some sense of what
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover & Title 2 15 May 29, 2019 02:03AM

• The Girl in Red
  • The Butcher's Daughter
  • The Girl on Gander Green Lane
  • The Divorce
I am happy to skype, facetime or call in to your book club if our schedules permit. Just reach out and I'll do my best to make it happen.