Start by marking “The Chocolate shop” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate shop

The Chocolate shop

Laura Beckman's comfortable suburban life would be perfect but for her daughter. Four years earlier, Brooke abandoned her husband and her own young daughter to run off with a musician. Now back home with her tail between her legs, Brooke's self-loathing boils over in the face of her mother's unrelenting condemnation.

Laura's world is turned upside down after witnessing the
Published June 17th 2019 by Riverpoint Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate shop

Start your review of The Chocolate shop
Michael Sahd
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The rocky relationship between an overbearing mother and her prodigal daughter becomes even more tumultuous when the mother, distraught over witnessing her husband's long, painful death, decides to satisfy her terminally ill aunt's last wish.

I really misjudged this novel when I started reading it. "This sounds rather bland," I thought. Well, I started getting into it pretty quickly, despite the slow start. Not that I thought the start was bad; it just didn't seem congruent with the genre I like
Seraphia
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Chocolate Shop is a poignant story of a mother-daughter relationship that took an ugly turn years ago. Laura struggles with how her daughter abandoned her marriage and family for another man and the promise of a budding career as a singer. Their relationship only sours further when the daughter returns home with nothing to show for her running around and learns a dark "secret" that her mother has been harboring. This truth could drive a wedge deeper between them due to the fact that what ...more
Grant Leishman
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Reviewed For Readers' Favorite by Grant Leishman

When a typical, suburban socialite, Laura Beckman’s life is turned upside down by the premature death of her beloved husband she has to face some searching questions of herself and how she has conducted her life, especially with respect to her estranged, eldest daughter, Brooke. Laura’s husband died in hospital after months of pain amid his constant pleading to Laura to just let him go and help him to die. She was not able to accede to his wishes
Kathy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very poignant story of a recently widowed woman, who, in addition to her grief, is coping with several other issues. One of them involves her grown daughter who, after running off abandoning her husband and young child, has returned home with nothing to show for her actions and lots of unanswered, outstanding questions. Laura Beckman watched her husband Mickey die a slow death for months, regularly begging Laura to help him end things. However, Laura resisted. Now, as she grieves for ...more
E
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When readers first meet Laura Beckman, the protagonist in The Chocolate Shop, her husband Mickey is dying. He has been in pain and has pleaded with her to put an end to his suffering. She simply can't do it. After her husband's funeral she and three others make a "pact" that if she decides she doesn't want to live anymore the others will help her end her life. Unexpectedly, one of her group finds out cancer has returned. She wants to die on her terms and enlists the group for help. From this ...more
Susanne
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thank you to Riverpoint Press and NetGalley for a free reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting and heartfelt read about a difficult topic. Death is still a big taboo for most people, as is the whole issue of assisted death/suicide. And yet most, if asked, would like to avoid a long, drawn-out and painful death - but who makes the decision on how this plays out in your life? Who should be making the decision?

The storyline follows Laura, whose husband dies at the
KL Cassanello
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura has a great life, except for her older daughter Brooke. Brooke has always been a rule-breaker, and left her husband and daughter to seek fame and fortune as a singer. Laura watches her husband waste away before finally dying, ignoring his pleas for her to end his life. She's always followed the rules, and begins to break them. She and her friends help two other friends fulfill a last wish, and then die a peaceful death. Amid dodging the police who think she's involved, she forms The ...more
Sandra Lopez
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Laura “wondered why God would spare the evil people of the world—serial killers and terrorists and child molesters—while the good man lying next to her faced certain death.” (10) The “Big C” had claimed the man she loved. It hurt to see him wither away as time dragged on, but what hurt even more was him begging her to end his life.

One flick of that “magic switch” and it would be all over.

From that moment on, Laura swore that she would go on her own terms.

The writing was thought-provoking,
Laurie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me first say that as a nurse, and advocate for "The right to choose", I totally enjoyed this book and love the "Chocolate Shop".
I am quite sure there are many who, due to the topic, did not. Read it with an open mind and heart.
This novel is about family, love, choice, life, death and dignity.
The alternatives that people decide to take when the dying process becomes insufferable are not easy.
It is not a decision that comes lightly, and for the people of "The Chocolate Shop" the decision to
Helen Manoli
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A storyline with a difference,Laura battles her choices that she had made when her husband dies,will she get a second chance now by helping people die.
This book will raise a lot of issues such as, assisted dying when is it ever correct,issues with her first born,choices she made by putting herself first all these years,so that she can surround herself with trophies and achievement awards,but at what cost to her family.
I found the book a bit hard going due to the fact of the assisted death,when
Trick Wiley
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is different Laura feels like she wants a second chance to make up for the hurt she has cause her family by leaving them It's one thing when a man leaves his family but not a woman,especially a mother! Helping people who are sick she finds herself in trouble for doing this in her Chocolate Shop! Finding love a second time to a man she can't stand,will she find it? Characters are jumping at you! Good read but I finished just had a hard time doing it but hey that's just me!
Margaret
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Chocolate Shop is a story that is written with the utmost care, concern, compassion and understanding for those who are watching or have watched a loved one die in torturous pain from cancer or other terminal disease. It's also about providing those terminal patients with a last wish, similar to Make a Wish. It is a very relevant and worthy read about assisted suicide that examines many sides of the issues.
Rhonda
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read. Interesting and complex characters and situations. Entertaining read as each character goes through their own individual struggle. Hard to put down. Liked the characters and story flow. Recommend this book.

Bev
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
I found this book to touch on the reality that many people face on a daily basis, assisted suicide, mercy killing, whatever you want to call it. We do this for our loving fur babies, but for our human relatives, it is a big no-no in some states. This is a very good thought-provoking story. I would like to thank Net Galley and Booksprout for a free copy of this book. I voluntarily reviewed it.
Edna
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very touching moving book on death and assisted suicide. I could relate and so invested I wept.. The book seems to have a middle ground and makes one wonder and perhaps change in the way you might handle this situation.
Thank you, NetGalley for the advance copy for my review.
Alycia Canfield
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What would you do if your husband or wife asked you to help them die because they were suffering?! What would you want if you were the one suffering? This book is heart felt. You become one of them in the mix. Who's choice is it when you die?? I believe it's God's.
Truly
Nov 01, 2019 added it
The Chocolate shop by J.J. Spring is an inspiring story of family and relationships. A story that is sure to tug at your heartstrings and leave you wanting more. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.*
Lee
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought-provoking story of last wishes. Laura is a new widow, whose husband passed away after a long, painful illness, begging her to help him end his life. She refused, and now she's rethinking how she lived her life. When a close friend who is dying asks for a last wish, Laura changes her mind about helping the dying end their lives, while granting a final wish of happiness. It's a sobering, moral question that the book is centered around, as family and friends either join her task ...more
Ashley Adams

• 29 Seconds
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • A Girl Called Hope
  • Stories I Can’t Show My Mother
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Christmas by the Lighthouse
  • A Highlander Walks into a Bar (Highland, Georgia, #1)
  • A Life Without Water