Start by marking “Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)” as Want to Read:
Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)

Knight's Fire

(Scales of Honor #1)

Stories tell of great fire-breathing beasts large as castles, fierce and deadly, capable of magicks that no human can match. The Kingdom of Kentaine once allied itself with the dragons of old, but eventually, the dragons were lost to time and fell into legend.

Sir Gawain, First Knight of the Realm, is tasked by his older sister the Queen to travel to the edges fo their ki
Published May 29th 2019 by S.J. Himes

Start your review of Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Well that was quite the lovely read!

If you like an Arthurian vibe with the promise of a dragon who can shift into all sorts of creatures (including a beautiful human male) then this is a complete no brainer.

Ensue knights in shining armor led by the dashing Gawain (who is quite the dreamboat if I do say so myself), a dragon who must be saved (not killed), and a really unlikely but sweet sexy romance between these two, and you have a fabulous start to a new series!

I haven’t found an author
Susan
Re-read March 2021
I love this one so much.

-------------------------

OMG, this was freaking adorable!! I really loved this one, and I’m sad it’s a novella and I have to wait for the next book.

Gawain is a knight, he’s also the queen’s brother, but he considers himself mostly a knight. When he hears there is trouble with a dragon in a village at the edge of the kingdom, he and several knights travel as fast as they can to prevent blood spilling.

Gawain hopes they can stop the villagers in time and
Bev
Himes never fails, and she's on to another winner with this series. It's absolutely delightful! Cute and sweet with fantastic world and character building, and don't even get me started on Zephyr 💖💖

The insta love between Zephyr and Gawain was perfect and believable. Gah - Zephyr is just the sweetest dragon .... all "My Gawain" from the get go. I love that there was no push and pull, no angst, no silly buggers and I can't wait to see where the author is going to take their story.

Loved it!

4.5 star
Gail Carriger
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you loved Tris in my book The 5th Gender, you will love Zephyr the dragon who accidentally on purpose becomes a man who falls in love with the knight sent to rescue him. A light and bubbly book, no weighty matters here, brief plot and not too much angst or tension. Very enjoyable.
Len Evans Jr
I wish I could give this book 100 stars... I love it that much. Zephyr is the one factor in this book that makes it rise far far above so many others. Zephyr the dragon is sweet, adorable, loving and yes... sexy as hell. Every time he says "My Gawain" my heart gives a flutter. On top of creating one of the best characters ever Ms. Himes has created a story that's a tale as old as time and enthralling as well! I CANNOT wait till the next book is out! ...more
Meags
4 Stars

Bursting with adventure and (interspecies) romance, this fantasy tale was some damn easy reading – the kind that put a smile on my face and made my head full of sweet thoughts and good vibes.

This story is set in a medieval-type fantasy world, with ruling kingdoms and brave knights and a sentient dragon that is just too god damn adorable for words!

The whole thing had an Arthurian feel to it, and not just because of the place and setting and all the knights running around, but because hal
Snjez
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was my first dragon shifter story and overall I enjoyed it. Mostly because of Zephyr, he is the cutest and deserves all the stars.

I liked him and Gawain together, although the insta-love felt more believable coming from Zephyr than Gawain. The one thing I personally didn’t enjoy and found a bit cringy were the sex scenes. Mainly because Zephyr seems so innocent to me and in my mind he is a dragon, no matter what shape he’s taken.

The audiobook was really good. It was actually the
Eugenia
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Barbara➰
**4.5 Stars**

Yes, yes, yes! S.J. Himes does it again! I absolutely loved it. It's no secret I love her writing. The Wolfkin Saga is probably at the top of my favorite shifter list. So, here she comes with a new series of a knight and his dragon. What's not to love?

Poor Zephyr. He's been imprisoned most of his life by an evil mage. Sweet and innocent of most things human and dragon, he needed someone to love him. Gawain is just the knight for the job. He instantly is connected to Zephyr. There's
Deborah
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

This author never disappoints.

Here we have Sir Gawain or Prince Gawain to give him his true title. Tales of dragon sightings have reached the queen (Gawain’s sister) and she sends him to investigate.

What he finds is Zephyr. A weak and injured dragon under attack from villages. Gawain soon realises it’s Zephyr that needs help. A trust, friendship and attraction grows between the two and it’s beautiful.

I loved all the characters especially Zephyr. He’s so adorable and I can’t wait for more.
Ariana
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ariana by: A Reader Obsessed
Charming.
That’s the first word that comes to mind here.
Adorable and cute are not very far behind.

And that’s mostly because of Zephyr, the young dragon at the centre of this book.
He reminded me a bit of Toothless from ‘How to Train a Dragon’, but with more human elements. He made me smile and chuckle, and his churring and purring and puffing just made me swoon.

And of course, he has the same effect on Gawaine who comes to save him. The man has no chance against all that innocent trust and childl
Rachel
5 Delightful Stars

An absolute delightful read! I loved this tale of a sweet and possessive dragon and his noble and gentle knight. I read this via KU, but it is such a comfort read that I want to buy a copy of my own to add to my book treasure hoard. Loved this!
Ula'ndi Hart
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

I’m actually a bit ‘scared’ to review this. As I really don’t want to use my “excellent communication skills” (excellent obviously in the joking sense here) to maybe say anything stupid enough that would make someone interpreted anything I say in anything other than that THIS story = Really great.

First of. I’ve read dragons in my MF days. To me, dragon shifters are all shit-kicker boots and bad-ass power. They take charge and they are not vul
Daesy
**grm**

I must thank Susan again for suggesting me this book, it was the cutest!
Zephyr was such a sweet little dragon, he deserved to be protected and cared for, and luckily after years of captivity and seeing his magic being drained and his mother die, he finally escaped and found Prince Gawain. The Knight and Prince, was a gentle and kind person and gave to his Dragon all the attentions he needed and the confort he deserved. And their first night as lovers made me smile, I was happy for Zephyr,
Achim
3.5
Seems like the perfect timing: with the temperature going up to nearly 30°C for the first time this year I got the first summer read on my Kindle. Couldn't have started at a better time, sitting outside a coffee shop in the shade and let the authors lure me into a light fantasy tale with knights and mages and dragons. There's nothing complicated, no angst, possible conflicts are solved when they come up and darker storylines like the captivity were shortly told in hindsight and result only in
Gerbera_Reads
** 4.5 stars **

This was such a sweet story! I loved Zephyr and Gawain together. All the characters were likable, and I am curious about them. Will they get a story too?

What I really liked about this novella was the fact that it was not your typical shifter romance. Here Zephyr is a real dragon who can transform into many shapes including that of a human. So Gawain did fall in love with a real dragon! Gawain is a knight of royal descent. He is honorable, kind and patient. When he comes to rescue
Helen
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be 5 stars , if it had been longer !
Carmen
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Want more!

Ohhhh that was sweet. And even though the story happened in a short span of time, I didn't find the romance rushed or force.
I really liked the characters and I can't wait for the next book!
haletostilinski
Um, I absolutely adored this and already can't wait for the second installment of this.

Zephyr and Gawain had a connection from the offset, and were both incredibly sweet and kind, and their love shined throughout the pages, basically from the get go. And I can't even say it was insta-love exactly, because Zephyr was a dragon at first and Gawain was not attracted to a dragon in dragon form. But they did have an affection for each other quickly, that grew and grew as the book went on.

I've never r
Joyfully Jay
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Oh, this is such a sweet and lovely story, it gave me such a nice warm, fuzzy feeling while reading it. Zephyr and Gawain connect right away and there is bond you can feel between them from the start. Zephyr feels such happiness and safety with Gawain for the first time in his life, and it isn’t long before he claims Gawain as his own. And Gawain returns the feelings, adoring the dragon and wanting to keep him safe.

S.J. Himes gives us a bit of an unusual spin here i
BWT
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A terrific beginning!

Told from a dual POV, this Paranormal Romance between a knight, and heir to the throne, and the dragon who has escaped from a life in captivity and pain, is absolutely delightful. There's some heat (in human form), some action, and ends happily, but without the main baddie ever being revealed. That will come later in another installment.

Knight's Fire is mainly about Zephyr's escape, and he and Gawain bonding, and it's very sweet and I'd recommend it, especially for those, li
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review 26Mar2020: No change

Original Review 15Oct2019: Well, this was cute (especially Zephyr's actions while figuring out what it takes to become human) and I'll definitely read the next one. But it was missing something - I'm not sure what - that usually sets this author's works apart from others in the genre.

Very Insta-love, which I would expect from the Dragon shifter due to what amounts to imprinting...but not from the human. Not so quickly. But I did appreciate that Gawain cared for Z
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A light and sweet novella.

This was enjoyable and quite sweet. It ends without the conflict resolution but not an actual cliffhanger.

I’ll keep a lookout for the next book but it’s not something I’m eagerly anticipating.
Morgan  Skye
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Hands down my favorite by this author! I SUPER LOVED THIS!!!

I cannot wait for more about these two! This is exactly what you want in a story. It moves along quickly. There’s action, adventure, true love, an adorable dragon with a tragic past, royalty, loads of magic, and some smexy times!
I just couldn’t get enough of Zephyr. I love him!!!! He is cute, a funny, and curious and sweet and loving and fierce – all wrapped up in a delightful package. Even though he has a madman after him, he’s still
~nikki the recovering book addict

Can’t say this is a completely new take on dragons but it certainly has some new twists. The storyline is a little simple but in this case, it charmed me so I suppose that’s good 😬 There’s also a lot of magical aspects which definitely added to the story.

I would have loved to have more of Zephyr’s backstory but I think we’ll see it unfold over the course of the series instead. Hopefully it pans out!
Eleeze
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75*

So sweet! There was also some action and magic thrown in along with the kind of romance is becoming characteristic of this author in my mind.
I hope we can also have more Tristan centric book in the future!
Rachel Emily
Ohmygoodness, this was just adorable and sweet, and lovely, and I want MORE NOW DAMMIT!

I love this turn of events - the knight going to save the dragon rather than slay it. I just loved Gawain and Zephyr together, and Zephyr is just a cinnamon roll of a dragon. Really loved the balance between the fantasy and world building and the romance.

Can't wait for their next story!
Claudia
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt, m-m, novella
November 2019
I needed a good book with dragons before starting a contemporary mystery and this was just what the doctor ordered.
I really enjoyed this world-building and the characters and after reading it the second time I know I will visit them often again.
still: I really want to have the next book!

October 2019
I love SJ Himes. Her books are an auto-buy for me as I know she won't disappoint and this book was no different.

I loved the easy way this relationship developed and loved to see what Zeph
Manfred
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story and I liked the idea and the "medieval" feeling of the book. Reading about a dragon who falls in love with a human was entertaining, but at the same time a little irritating and I must say that I never got really comfortable with this union of two completely different species.
I also didn't like that the dragon behaved rather childish and needed protection instead of being strong and confident.
So overall, I had fun with the story but I was not completely convinced an
Ben Howard
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novella, it was super sweet. The narrator, Joel Leslie, did a great job! His accents were amzing.

Knight's Fire follows a dragon who has escaped captivity, called Zephyr, and Sir Gawain who is both prince and first knight of the realm.

Zephyr is injured from his escape and is hunted by a local town who believe dragons are dangerous and evil. He hides in a cave where Gawain finds him, after being sent by his sister the queen to protect the dragon and bring him back to the cas
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Azaran (The Brotherhood of Ormarr, #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Hunter's Creek (Hunter's Creek #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Prisoner of Shadows (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • The Guppy Prince (The Silver Isles #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
I am currently working on BHS#5, a BHS spinoff series, and the second book of the Realms of Love series.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website.