Start by marking “Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)” as Want to Read:
Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)

Knight's Fire

(Scales of Honor #1)

Stories tell of great fire-breathing beasts large as castles, fierce and deadly, capable of magicks that no human can match. The Kingdom of Kentaine once allied itself with the dragons of old, but eventually, the dragons were lost to time and fell into legend.

Sir Gawain, First Knight of the Realm, is tasked by his older sister the Queen to travel to the edges fo their kin
Published May 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Knight's Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight's Fire

Bev
Himes never fails, and she's on to another winner with this series. It's absolutely delightful! Cute and sweet with fantastic world and character building, and don't even get me started on Zephyr 💖💖

The insta love between Zephyr and Gawain was perfect and believable. Gah - Zephyr is just the sweetest dragon .... all "My Gawain" from the get go. I love that there was no push and pull, no angst, no silly buggers and I can't wait to see where the author is going to take their story.

Loved it!

4.5 star
Susan
Re-read July 2019
This deserved a re-read!

-------------------------

OMG, this was freaking adorable!! I really loved this one, and I’m sad it’s a novella and I have to wait for the next book.

Gawain is a knight, he’s also the queen’s brother, but he considers himself mostly a knight. When he hears there is trouble with a dragon in a village at the edge of the kingdom, he and several knights travel as fast as they can to prevent blood spilling.

Gawain hopes they can stop the villagers in time and t
Eugenia
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, fantasy, shorts
Len Evans Jr
I wish I could give this book 100 stars... I love it that much. Zephyr is the one factor in this book that makes it rise far far above so many others. Zephyr the dragon is sweet, adorable, loving and yes... sexy as hell. Every time he says "My Gawain" my heart gives a flutter. On top of creating one of the best characters ever Ms. Himes has created a story that's a tale as old as time and enthralling as well! I CANNOT wait till the next book is out!
Barbara➰
**4.5 Stars**

Yes, yes, yes! S.J. Himes does it again! I absolutely loved it. It's no secret I love her writing. The Wolfkin Saga is probably at the top of my favorite shifter list. So, here she comes with a new series of a knight and his dragon. What's not to love?

Poor Zephyr. He's been imprisoned most of his life by an evil mage. Sweet and innocent of most things human and dragon, he needed someone to love him. Gawain is just the knight for the job. He instantly is connected to Zephyr. There's
Deborah
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

This author never disappoints.

Here we have Sir Gawain or Prince Gawain to give him his true title. Tales of dragon sightings have reached the queen (Gawain’s sister) and she sends him to investigate.

What he finds is Zephyr. A weak and injured dragon under attack from villages. Gawain soon realises it’s Zephyr that needs help. A trust, friendship and attraction grows between the two and it’s beautiful.

I loved all the characters especially Zephyr. He’s so adorable and I can’t wait for more.
Achim
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Seems like the perfect timing: with the temperature going up to nearly 30°C for the first time this year I got the first summer read on my Kindle. Couldn't have started at a better time, sitting outside a coffee shop in the shade and let the authors lure me into a light fantasy tale with knights and mages and dragons. There's nothing complicated, no angst, possible conflicts are solved when they come up and darker storylines like the captivity were shortly told in hindsight and result only in
Daesy
**grm**

I must thank Susan again for suggesting me this book, it was the cutest!
Zephyr was such a sweet little dragon, he deserved to be protected and cared for, and luckily after years of captivity and seeing his magic being drained and his mother die, he finally escaped and found Prince Gawain. The Knight and Prince, was a gentle and kind person and gave to his Dragon all the attentions he needed and the confort he deserved. And their first night as lovers made me smile, I was happy for Zephyr,
Ula'ndi Hart
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

I’m actually a bit ‘scared’ to review this. As I really don’t want to use my “excellent communication skills” (excellent obviously in the joking sense here) to maybe say anything stupid enough that would make someone interpreted anything I say in anything other than that THIS story = Really great.

First of. I’ve read dragons in my MF days. To me, dragon shifters are all shit-kicker boots and bad-ass power. They take charge and they are not vul
~Volha~
** 4.5 stars **

This was such a sweet story! I loved Zephyr and Gawain together. All the characters were likable, and I am curious about them. Will they get a story too?

What I really liked about this novella was the fact that it was not your typical shifter romance. Here Zephyr is a real dragon who can transform into many shapes including that of a human. So Gawain did fall in love with a real dragon! Gawain is a knight of royal descent. He is honorable, kind and patient. When he comes to rescue
Rachel
5 Delightful Stars

An absolute delightful read! I loved this tale of a sweet and possessive dragon and his noble and gentle knight. I read this via KU, but it is such a comfort read that I want to buy a copy of my own to add to my book treasure hoard. Loved this!
Helen
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be 5 stars , if it had been longer !
Carmen
Shelves: short-stories
Want more!

Ohhhh that was sweet. And even though the story happened in a short span of time, I didn't find the romance rushed or force.
I really liked the characters and I can't wait for the next book!
haletostilinski
Um, I absolutely adored this and already can't wait for the second installment of this.

Zephyr and Gawain had a connection from the offset, and were both incredibly sweet and kind, and their love shined throughout the pages, basically from the get go. And I can't even say it was insta-love exactly, because Zephyr was a dragon at first and Gawain was not attracted to a dragon in dragon form. But they did have an affection for each other quickly, that grew and grew as the book went on.

I've never r
Joyfully Jay
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Oh, this is such a sweet and lovely story, it gave me such a nice warm, fuzzy feeling while reading it. Zephyr and Gawain connect right away and there is bond you can feel between them from the start. Zephyr feels such happiness and safety with Gawain for the first time in his life, and it isn’t long before he claims Gawain as his own. And Gawain returns the feelings, adoring the dragon and wanting to keep him safe.

S.J. Himes gives us a bit of an unusual spin here i
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A light and sweet novella.

This was enjoyable and quite sweet. It ends without the conflict resolution but not an actual cliffhanger.

I’ll keep a lookout for the next book but it’s not something I’m eagerly anticipating.
Eleeze
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75*

So sweet! There was also some action and magic thrown in along with the kind of romance is becoming characteristic of this author in my mind.
I hope we can also have more Tristan centric book in the future!
Morgan  Skye
Shelves: 2019
Hands down my favorite by this author! I SUPER LOVED THIS!!!

I cannot wait for more about these two! This is exactly what you want in a story. It moves along quickly. There’s action, adventure, true love, an adorable dragon with a tragic past, royalty, loads of magic, and some smexy times!
I just couldn’t get enough of Zephyr. I love him!!!! He is cute, a funny, and curious and sweet and loving and fierce – all wrapped up in a delightful package. Even though he has a madman after him, he’s still
Manfred
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story and I liked the idea and the "medieval" feeling of the book. Reading about a dragon who falls in love with a human was entertaining, but at the same time a little irritating and I must say that I never got really comfortable with this union of two completely different species.
I also didn't like that the dragon behaved rather childish and needed protection instead of being strong and confident.
So overall, I had fun with the story but I was not completely convinced an
Daisy
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely ❤ Zephyr is so cute. ...more
Victoria  love books
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a sweet adorable story!!!! Strong characters but with puffiness and all fluff and wings a lot of magic and happiness🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰 just all love and adorable huggable and lovable characters.

This book brought out my mamma bear "protect all" instincts and I just wanted to keep all from harm and protect what is MINE 😜😜😜😜
Shirley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Well for a novella this defiantly packed a punch, it was packed with great characters and the world building was great.
I absolutely loved Gawain and Zephyr and yes there was insta love but who the hell cares they were so perfect together and I totally bought in to it. Zephyr was so damn cute I couldn’t wipe the bloody smile off my face while reading this book and I almost suffered from cuteness overload 😊

I can’t wait for the next instalment I need more of this couple now!!
Kristin
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with Gawain and Zephyr! This was a great blend of fluff and sweet while also setting up a solid plot and an interesting world. I can’t wait for the next story!
Leigh
Loved it

Awesome new series. I can't wait for the next book. I enjoyed the characters, the world, the humor, and of course dragons.
Rachel
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! Love this new series and has everything I wanted in a great read. Zephyr and Gawain are the most unique couple I've read in awhile. Human and Dragon with all the best parts of them pulling towards each other. Zephyr has only known pain and torment by humans and since breaking free wants to stay that way. A sweet heart of adorableness that instantly made him my favorite! Gawain is a knight with honor who isn't prepared for what happens next when tracking down a dragon. Their connection i ...more
Whitney
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I can't wait for the next one.
Meep
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's...ok. It's not awful. I've tried another by this author and not got on with it, but ...Dragons. I like Dragons. Unfortunately this read kinda dull, got to admit the author is not for me. Too much detail and spelling things out. Inspired by medieval times we get the clothing details yet have characters using words like xenophobia and gross; there's also cuspid teeth, cherubic hair and lissom extremities.

There's a lot of clothing and hair detail.

It's insta-insta love. The dragon is naive, hig
Boyslove
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whenever SJ Himes writes a fantasy story, I am never disappointed. The reason I read is for stories like this one.

•••What this story has to offer•••

1. A beautiful and well described world.

2. Adorable, quirky, fun, funny and lovable characters that you instantly fall in love with.

3. Magic! Action! Adventure!

4. Quality, believable writing and story-telling all around.

•••Other Notes•••

* I would rate the steam level at medium. There was on page sex.

* It appears that this will be a multiple book
JoAnn
Super sweet and totally adorable.

And slightly awkward...

I haven’t read a lot from this author but from the several books I have read I’ve annoyed them all.

This was one of those mushy puppy/dragon love type books that makes you soft and gooey for big reptile eyes. But unfortunately that also what made the story kind of awkward.

Spoilerish ahead....

This went from rescuing and innocent, totally adorable and horribly abused little (yet mature) dragon to sex and full blown mating within a few days.
Renee
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and Sweet

When Gawain hears of a dragon attacking a village he is sent to investigate. Zephyr escaped from an evil mage and was hurt. When Gawain shows him kindness he bonds to him.

Super sweet and sexy shifter romance. Set in a Medieval world where magic is common anything can happen. Fun and entertaining read. Ends with the possibility of more, but this installment is wrapped up nicely.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
KNIGHT'S FIRE is available on Amazon, via ASIN: B07SL82VTF. Happy reading!

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website. www.sjhimes.com

I also write a