Start by marking “Sign of the White Foal” as Want to Read:
Sign of the White Foal

Sign of the White Foal

A generation after Hengest and Horsa carved out a kingdom in the east, a hero of the Britons rises in the west...

North Wales, 480 A.D. The sons of Cunedag have ruled Venedotia for fifty years but the chief of them - the Pendraig - is now dying. His sons Cadwallon and Owain must fight to retain their birthright from their envious cousins. As civil war consumes Venedotia, Ar
Published May 24th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Sign of the White Foal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sign of the White Foal

Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
I've been fascinated by Arthurian myths and legends since my mother gave me her copy of Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur to read when I was 12 years old. The romance and chivalry were spellbinding and of course, when I decided to get my Literature degree, I jumped at every opportunity to take classes on Arthurian literature, legends, and history.  So I was more than thrilled to host the blog tour for Sign of the White Foal by Chris Thorndycroft!

Sign of the White Foal is based on the earliest of
Megan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Sign of the White Foal" by Chris Thorndycroft is the first book in the “Arthur of the Cymry Trilogy.”

As this is the first book in the series, we are meeting all of the characters for the first time and seeing their beginnings. The Arthur character is still young and he is only just now meeting the Guinevere character (Guenhuifar) and the other knights. The story takes place in the midst of kingdoms warring against one another and Arthur gets swept up into the battle. Lovers of Arthurian legend
Paul Bennett
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW

You know what I love about Arthurian fiction? This - no matter what version of Arthur is being told - no matter the situation, or the time and place, a believable tale can be spun. In this intriguing tale, Arthur is the foster son of the Pendraig, the High King in Cmry, and has trained as a warrior, but as the story evolves it becomes evident that he is also a natural leader of men. In Sign of the White Foal the author has taken one of the oldest Arthurian texts and given us an exciting lo
Amy Bruno
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based on the earliest Arthurian legends, Sign of the White Foal is a fast-paced adventure that will keep you gripped from page one! Think of it as a Post-Roman Britain 'Game of Thrones' :)

When the King of Venedotia dies his son Cadwallon becomes the Pendraig, but his new reign is threatened with he is attacked and captured. He escapes and thus begins the dangerous expedition to get back his throne, with the help of his brother Owain, and half-brother Arthur. Yep, THAT Arthur!

Rival kingdoms, a m
gwendalyn _books_
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorndycroft gives life to Arthurian legend, in this retelling the characters are more relatable to that time period. His placement of the Arthur into a historical family as a bastard son of Cunedag's heir, is believable.Cunedag and his sons have removed the Irish out of North Wales and set up a bunch of numerous kingdoms throughout the area.The book progression was spot on, and characters come to life under the authors skillful narration, also the supporting characters are definitely worth noti ...more
CoffeeandInk
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know which is more interesting—the stories of King Arthur and his court or how these stories came to be from the myths and ancient traditions of Albion. The Romans abandoned their forts to the people of the isle, but left behind their influence and culture— a potent blend from which to make something new. In this novel, the cauldron Arthur and his band hunt seems to represent the times—change is nothing to fear unless it heralds a return to a baser time.

The author has cooked up his own p
Amy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sign of the White Foal is a novel involving the days from the legend of King Arthur in England. I thought it was a good read. It was interesting to see the author's vision for this time period. The action is throughout the book that made me want to keep reading.
I give Sign of the White Foal four stars. I would love to read more by this author. I recommend this one for readers who love early English history, myths and legends.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own h
J. Else
Review to be posted via the Historical Novel Society at: www.historicalnovelsociety.org
Jackleen
roberta janetos
Aug 07, 2019
James A Gummer
Aug 18, 2019
Chris Thorndycroft is a British writer of historical fiction, horror and fantasy. His early short stories appeared in magazines and anthologies such as Dark Moon Digest and American Nightmare. His first novel under his own name was A Brother's Oath. He also writes under the pseudonym P. J. Thorndyke.

Join his mailing list here: https://mybookcave.com/d/4c5837a7/