Start by marking “Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces #1)

Queen of the Warrior Bees

(Natural Forces #1)

One misfit girl and 50,000 bees. Together they must change the world. As the Mages of the Citadel fight amongst themselves and prepare for war against the Forest, Mielitta, a despised servant, has her own battle to face. Bastien and Jannlou, the boys who terrorised her as a child, have grown into their status as Mages and she cannot escape them forever.

In desperation, she
Published May 19th 2019 by The 13th Sign

To ask other readers questions about Queen of the Warrior Bees, please sign up.
Jean Gill
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces #1)
DarkRaven Reviews
I'm glad this lived up to the buzz of its release. I loved this book and it left me all warm and fuzzy with no sting in its tale. I'm sure this book will fly off the shelves.
Laurette Long
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jean Gill’s new series transports us to the fantasy world of 18-year-old foundling and misfit, Mielitta, who must break free from the society in which she has grown up in order to embrace her wondrous destiny, that of a Bee Queen.
Escaping briefly from the fake, sterile perfection of The Citadel and her relentless tormentors, Bastien and Jannlou, whose fathers are part of its ruling male elite, Mielitta discovers The Forest. This is the ‘lethal’ territory beyond the walls, so toxic that the mere
El Hyrst
Tapping out of this novel at 39%. Not because it's bad, but largely because it's not the book for me and I was struggling with reading it immensely. I received a copy from NetGalley and so I tried to persevere but the (view spoiler) was the final straw for me.

I really wanted to love this book, but the world-building was a bit too rushed for me and I found it confusing at worst and weird at best. I think the plot of this has a lot of potential, but unfortunately I c
Claire
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recap: Mielitta doesn't fit into her perfect society and longs for something different. Circumstance provides her with the password to outside, to the Forest and her new life begins.

Review: A coming of age story with bees! Intriguing world building with insidious antagonists that provoked strong dislike - I think that was to do with all the clever scent and colour descriptions throughout the book that reinforced the characters. There are lots of unanswered questions so I'm looking forward to fin
Ashley Dyer
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A spellbinding book--if you liked "The Bees", you'll LOVE this!

This brilliantly imagined fantasy with its strong environmental message had me spellbound. Jean Gill writes with a beekeeper's clarity about hive structure, and of 'hive mind' with the heart and passion of a talented author and poet. The parallels between the sterile, synthetic 'Citadel' life in Queen of the Warrior Bees, and modern city life in the real world are well argued, here. Gill makes some important points on equality, freed
Iain Hart
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was completely engrossed by this book, yes believe it or not , I was listening to it every chance I got, I loved everything about this enchanting, and beautiful story.

I want to start with the cover art, it’s mystical and magical, draws you in and makes you want to discover what lies within the forest, but shows enough as not give too much away.

The characters were another strong point in this book, our leading lady is Mielitta a servant with a secret but this servant turned unlikely saviour , i
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read about order. Mielitta is a young girl who hasn't reached maturity in a fantasy world where everyone has. She continues her life as a servant despite being dissatisfied with life. One day, she serves wine at a meeting and discovers there is more to this world than she thought with a mysterious Forest nobody is allowed to enter.. Fleeing some bullies, she finds herself there and the wonders of the world are revealed to her. Can she keep it a secret and keep her life?
A great read. Wel
Francis
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen of the Warrior Bees is the first book in Jean Gill’s Natural Forces series. It tells the story of Mielitta, a young woman struggling to find her place in a tightly controlled world where perfection is prized above all else. Developing magical bee powers doesn’t exactly help her fit in but does at least give her a sense of purpose as she now has to consider the bees’ agenda as well as her own.
Something I particularly enjoyed about this book is the focus on scent in descriptions of character
Lesley Walters
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a life devoid of nature: a clinical environment where fear of life beyond the confines of an artificial world is perpetuated by leaders who control all aspects of life...

Such is the world into which Mielitta is born. But she doesn’t fit the female stereotype and her secret foray into the forbidden forest connects her with nature, and in particular, with bees.

In the days that follow she becomes increasingly attuned to their struggles and resolves to save them. However, it is Mielitta who
Kath Middleton
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This tale has much in it to enjoy, based as it is on classical fairy story themes. Mielitta, a girl of unknown parentage, grows into her powers. The Citadel in which she lives is sealed from the outside world and its forest. She finds her way outside, meets the bees, and her true life begins. This world is carefully crafted with a believable history. Mielitta herself is a wonderful combination of well-intentioned and anger-fuelled. She has much to be angry about and proves more than adequate to ...more
Eda
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An utterly original story! A delight to read. The story of a bee hive and a girl, in a word that is sealed off by blind ignorance. This is youth fiction at it's best. The story is engaging and thrilling. It’s a Wonderful fantasy and adventure that starts your mind buzzing. Mielitta is a young women stifled by the world around, she has an adventurous spirit that will not allow her to conform. Italy turn down a path that she cannot get off of. In this story she has to find a way to open the mind o ...more
Madilynn Dale
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019read
Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces Book 1) by Jean Gill
5-Stars
Queen Of The Warrior Bees is book one in this creative and magical series. Mielitta is an excellent main character. I was fascinated with the way she comes into her power and also with her ability to block at the start of the book. The author did an amazing job on her and the supporting characters. The setting of this novel was fascinating and it amazed me how they seemed to create their own little world separate from nature.
Amanda Perry
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eco tale involving the citadel and the forest beyond which is forbidden. Growing up all believe that the wonders of the forest cause ‘allergy’ forcing people to pass. But one girl (Mieletta) must show all that the forest is not as daunting as they think it is. Will she change peoples views or will she die trying?

This was an amazing story about a girl and her bees who try and change the views of men. Got a feminist feel and it kinda reminded me of our government today but done in such a cool f
Amie McCracken
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I have never more enjoyed an adventure into the mind of an animal/insect. The bees in this book were my favorite character, and they were truly glorious. The story is complex and interesting and so well-delivered and thought-out that I was enthralled the entire time. There were a few times the main character made a decision and started acting on it before I understood what was going on, so there was a tiny bit of confusion. But it all worked itself out in the end and I was completely satisfied.
Maura
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much to enjoy in this story. It is the first book I've read by this author and certainly not the last. The writing is so detailed and descriptive that it is like watching a movie.

While this is considered Y/A Fantasy, it is also a political "thriller". There is so much more in this story than appears on the surface.

I would recommend this to my younger cousins and adult book clubs alike.

*****
Kathi
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, tbc
The author has created an intriguing world. I definitely got a Handmaid's Tale vibe from life in the Citadel and I did enjoy the forest bits and look forward to reading more about life reconnecting with nature.

Although I found the whole bee thing a little weird, I did enjoy the overall book and would read more by this author.

Thanks to The TBC Reviewer group for a copy of this book.
Claire Stibbe
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many things to love about this book. Bees, a warrior girl and the fight for survival. The premise is unique and sure to summon a wide audience of fantasy and conservationists alike. Written by an author I have followed for her historical Fiction Troubadour series, I thought I’d give this new genre a whirl. I particularly enjoyed the sensitive and thoughtful dedication to another great author with a love of forests.

Written in the author’s distinctive voice, I was drawn right in from
Breny
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My toughts:

I don’t like giving negative reviews, but in this case, I have to. So, to be honest, I DNF the book after reading a couple of the first chapters, why? Because it felt too superficial, rushed, and dark. I didn’t feel a connection with the main character and the magic in the book itself was somewhat weird. There were some bad cuss words and the implication of sexual harassment from young men. The story lacked a LOT of world building and I felt confused and lost in so many descriptions o
Paul Trembling
What’s the difference between historical fiction and fantasy? Well, the obvious answer is that historical fiction is based round times and events that actually happened, even if the story itself is entirely made up. And it follows from that that the writer of historical fiction has to pay careful attention to their research: the fine detail of the world they are writing already exists and they must be careful to fit their story into it.

With fantasy, on the other hand, there is no such background
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
Author Jean Gill has been one of my favorite authors since I read her brilliant historical series The Troubadours Quartet. When she offered an advance copy of “Queen of the Warrior Bees” in return for an honest review I was thrilled. I had no idea what to expect; what I didn’t expect was a book I would fall in love with from the first page.
Gill is an accomplished writer. Her descriptive passages envelop you in settings you might not otherwise imagine. Her characters are vibrant and move through
E.A.
Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces Book 1) by Jean Gill was a different, original read, that kept my attention and kept me flipping the pages.

My first read by this author, I was caught by the beautiful cover and the original elements I found in the synopsis. I dove into this book, and I had it read in one sitting. Now though I say that, I did have some issues.

This book opens on a strong note, and the narrative was smooth and compelling, sucking you in. But at times it felt dull, there w
Jamie Jack
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-2019, fantasy
What an unusual fantasy book! As the title might suggest, this book is about bees and so much more. Mielitta is an outcast in her city when the story begins. She was a foundling, not born in the Citadel like the others in her community. She is subject to bullying and ridicule. The Forest just beyond the Citadel is off limits and not even talked about (as it is forbidden to do so). One day when Mielitta flees the bullying, she goes out into the Forest. Her wonder is palpable as she explores this ...more
Anita Kovacevic
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
DIFFERENT, YET FAMILIAR AND CHALLENGING

It is so difficult to write fantasy for any age group, to create something that's never been read before and yet something that has the elements a fantasy fan would relish. It is like with music – sometimes it seems as if everything's been said already, because how many more new combinations of musical notes and rhythms can one create in centuries?
And then somebody makes it and creates something worthwhile, different yet familiar, and challenging to the mi
Geoff Nelder
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a long affinity with bees dating back to the 1960s when a pal and I were attacked by a swarm while canoeing along the River Severn near Tewkesbury. I retain some of the sting bumps on my neck. I forgive them, indeed I think instead of venom they injected me with apimania – an obsessive love of bees. So much so that I named a spacecraft Apoidea (a taxonomic group within the Hymenoptera containing bees) manned by a feisty astronaut in my first scifi novel, EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEE.
QUEEN OF TH
Emma Morreale
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right off the bat there were so many things that intrigued me about this book. I absolutely adore bees so just reading the words warrior bees made me think "I need this book right now". And I was not disappointed. Mielitta was found as baby and she believes that for this reason, she is kept as a servant and a child while all her peers are now considered adults. Most of her school friends also seem to have forgotten her somewhat. Is this some sort of magic or are they just all just huge jerks?
Th
Kerry Baker
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen of the Warrior Bees by Jean Gill is the first book in the Natural Forces series. This book was an unexpected read that will captivate you more than you would have thought possible.
I will be the first to admit that I wasn’t overly blown away by the title or the description of this book. However the reviews were so overwhelmingly positive for it that I had to give it a go. And I am so glad that I did! I never expected to become so invested in Mielitta’s journey. The struggle she was going th
Katie
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Queen of the Warrior Bees
By Jean Gill
4 stars

I took a step out of my comfort zone when I decided to give this book a read and overall I enjoyed it. It did take me a little time to get into and there were times when I wasn’t completely sure it was the book for me but I persevered and I’m glad I did. I think there is definitely more to the book than the blurb leads you to believe, the author’s detailed writing was good (however a little too much at times) and the story did have a good pace and flow
J.G. Harlond
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book for our time - it is also an excellent read. The author has combined many of our current concerns about the environment with aspects of fantasy and futuristic sci-fi (along Margaret Atwood lines) into a compelling read. The main character, Mielitta, has all the normal worries of a teenage girl about fitting in, but her world is a good deal more complicated and controlled than, hopefully, modern teens have to face. It is also devoid of a natural environment due to human ...more
Alana
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a captivating & intriguing read! At the start I wasn't sure where the story was going to head, based in a clinical, sterile world where nature was forbidden & people were afraid of the unknown. The protagonist, Mieletta, is a headstrong young woman who doesn't fit in the standardised "Perfect" world where women are compared to flowers and men dominate. Born an outsider, she chafes at the environment she finds herself in, and breaks rules by going outside to the Forest. In doing so, she find ...more
Tausha Treadway
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces Book 1) by Jean Gill. I don't normally like these types of books but this book is Amazing! I read through it as fast as I could. Its the story of 18 year old Mielitta who knows she's different but doesn't understand why. The Citadel where she lives is getting ready to to go to War with the Forest. She has been bullied her whole life by 2 boys in the Citadel named Bastien & Jannlou and as they get older it gets worse and more dangerous. She flees to the f ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Smoke & Mirrors (Nite Fire #3)
  • Magic-Price (The Crown of Stones, #1)
  • The Embers We Seek (A Rebel Princess Serial, #1)
  • Orion's Kiss
  • Matt's swirly world
  • Children Of The Future
  • The Mourning Islands
  • The Life We Almost Had
  • Undercover (Billionaire Bodyguards Book 2)
  • Relatively Strange (Strange Series #1)
  • Revive (Rewind #3)
  • Pigs
  • The Flood
  • Ricochet
  • Am I Guilty?
  • Edge of the Storm: Book 2 (Silent Secrets)
  • Michael's Heart
  • Aequitas
Jean Gill is a Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with two scruffy dogs, a beehive named 'Endeavour', a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English in Wales and was the first woman to be a secondary headteacher in Carmarthenshire. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic.

Publications are varied, including prize-winning poetry and novels,

Natural Forces (2 books)
  • Arrows Tipped with Honey (Natural Forces #2)