Start by marking “Go, Dog. Go!” as Want to Read:
Go, Dog. Go!

Go, Dog. Go!

(Beginner Books)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  72,769 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews
Reading goes to the dogs in this timeless Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. From big dogs and little dogs to red, green, and blue dogs, dogs going up and dogs going fast . . . who knew dogs were so busy? And laughter will ensue at the repeated question “Do you like my hat?” Like P. D. Eastman’s classic Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! has been a go-to favorite for over fifty years, ...more
Hardcover, Beginner Books (Book Club Edition), 64 pages
Published March 12th 1961 by Random House (first published 1961)

·  72,769 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews

Patrick

I know this is a classic and all, but I had a hard time making it through this book. It's full of needless repetition, which makes it longer than it needs to be. What's more, the plot is a mess, leaping from event to event almost randomly at times.

I respect what the author is attempting to do here, thematically. Eastman is asking bold questions about how things are related to one another. Are we a green dog or a yellow one? Is it day or night? These are big questions, and they need to be asked.
Matthew Rappelt
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Truly, nothing has captured the scope of emotion that encompasses Romance such as Go Dog. Go! Part tragedy, part romantic comedy this is a love story for the ages. With such memorable wit and dialog such as the belly laugh inducing "Do you like my hat?" and the heart wrenching reply, "No I do not." You will laugh, and you'll cry. It's not all romance though, the book deftly weaves in several subplots which serve as complex metaphors for various political and philosophical debates. For example, t ...more
Archit Ojha
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Fantastic illustrations. Good for teaching children about numbers and colors. Hilariously humorous at few points.

Do you like my hat?
I do not!
Kazbot
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Igor
Go Dog Go is an exciting tale about a dog on his journey through life. It encompasses all of the major obstacles we confront in our modern western society from his first period to a heart attack at thirty. Most of the text requires use of a dictionary however if you have an internet connection available then looking up the more obscure words becomes a snap. Overall, I found the overarching message of this masterpiece insightful and full of ethically sound judgments. I would without question reco ...more
Anne
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since the school year started, I've been forced to read this to (or, more accurately, read along with) my daughter...about 4 million times.
Ok. Maybe I'm exaggerating.
She's a BIG girl now, so they have to read for 15 minutes every day after school, which I think is GREAT!
Except for the part where I have to listen to this story, and others like it, for the rest of the school year.
Yes, the end result (hopefully, a literate child) is totally worth it.
And for whatever reason, Go, Dog. Go! has becom/>Except(or,
Gary
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic colorful book filled with wonderful illustrations and little sub-stories.
It stimulates a child's imagination while teaching him numbers, colours and social skills.
How about the child is counting the dogs in the bed and the ones underneath the bed.
Or seeing all the things the dogs are doing in their treetop party-the big dogs, little dogs, yellow,
red, blue, pink and green dogs.
This will be great fun for any child aged 4-8 , and will not only be educationa
Matt
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neo literally sped through this book, leaving no word unpronounced or page unturned. Dogs are all over zooming around town in cars, sometimes obeying traffic laws, but also hard-pressed to listen. They congregate together in parks and on the outskirts of town, reds with blacks, greens, and blues. There is no rhyme or reason, but there sure are dogs. Neo loved this one, even after he told me that he’s read this book at school many times, so he knew all the words. Still, it was a fast-paced story ...more
Miriam Axel-lute
Feb 10, 2009 rated it did not like it

All of the plotlessness and pointlessness of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish but none of the wild creativity or language play.

I mean, I know an easy reader needs to have simple language, but there are tons of books that manage that without being this insipid.

And why oh why does the female dog have to win the approval of the male dog by changing her hat, until they ride off into the sunset at the end when he finally likes her hat?

I could go on. I wouldn't even
Brad
When I first met Erika, for some long forgotten reason and situation, someone said, "Do you like my hat?"

I answered: "No. I do not." There was an awkward pause and I added, "Good-bye. Good-bye again," with some totally bizarre, guttural, kiddie voice. It became a fun inside joke for Erika and me, but for the life of us, we couldn't remember where it came from. It sounded familiar; it didn't sound me-invented, but we couldn't place it.

Then we had babes, and I picked up a bunch of boa
Pooja
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The following lines from the book made it too cute.

"Do you like my hat?"

"I do not."

Stein
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
what a read - what a book. i'll try and finish it up this year.
Billy Jepma
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, faves
Shocking no one, this book was and is a vital part of who I am as a person.

The breadth of human emotion the riveting story pulls the reader through; the stunning and energetic imagery; the profound sense of forward motion and evolution; this is a book that truly transcends what books can be.

It was also my favorite book as a child that my dad would read out loud to me, so I may be slightly biased with my interpretation of this (otherwise inarguable) masterpiece.
Otis Chandler
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter is loving this. Published in the 60's and one of the best I've found!
Jessica
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Heather
A classic!
--Do you like my hat?
--No, I do not.
--Good-bye again.
--Good-bye!
....
--And now, do you like my hat?
[do not want to have to put a spoiler alert! so I'll stop now]
Tess Anderson
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all of humanity
i learned what opposites were. i learned that dogs have enormous parties atop trees. i learned that it is "hot out here in the sun" and that it is "not hot here under the house." and most of all, i loved that two page spread of all the dogs in the bed, and that one is lying there with those wide eyes! yeah, i like that dog.
Sharon
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for children to learn about their world on a bit wider scope, with opposite and colours that are not presented in the usual way. With plenty of colourful illustrations for the younger children to enjoy.
Kat
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-books
Basic plot: Dogs doing things!

I know it isn't really a plot, but the book doesn't really have one. This book uses simple repetition and clear pictures to teach kids about prepositions (under, over, in, on, etc), sizes, and a few other basic concepts. The pictures are funny and have lots of details to talk about with little ones beyond the words on the page. There's a lot of good repeat factor in there because of this. I took this book on a 2-week vacation with my 5-year old and read
Mark Matthews
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book to read to my kids, even down to the size of the book. It uses some tricky moves to get children to learn, and its an incredible story without being a story.

Why is one dog still wide awake with his big, white eyes when the rest are asleep? What is he thinking about? And is this the same dog who is asleep when it is time for the dogs to get up? And how about playing checkers on the boat while your buddy plays guitar? Dreamy. And the poor bird crossing the street
Linda
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites as a girl, and became a favorite again as I raised two daughters.
Fun story, easy vocabulary for little ones, great illustrations, opposites, colors, fast cars, swimming, sleeping, hats and of course (view spoiler)!
John Yelverton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun children's book, but I just wish that it had been a little bit longer.
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Published in 1961, still awesome. Dogs driving cars in scarves and goggles!
Loraine
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 5 1/2 year old grandson wanted to try reading this book today on his own. The pictures are very supportive and he really enjoyed being able to read most of it on his own. This is a great read aloud book for younger children as they enjoy the crazy antics of all the dogs.
Shepherd Thune
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like to find the picture with a fishy in it so I can show mom the fishy sound I can make.
Jim Gorman
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I seriously like this book a lot. Great starter book for kids learning to read. Simple sentences and good visuals to help them along.
mwr
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-30-s
This book gave me troubles in pre-school. It must have been some kind of Montessori situation, I'm not sure. All I can remember is that if I pretended that I could not read well then I would be with the kids whose nap-time involved back rubs. If I could read well then I was allowed into the room with all of the books (including this one, which I more or less wanted to read every day), but nap-time was governed by some awful person who did not rub backs. I was forced to choose between pretending ...more
Jem
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wait...this book isn't by Dr. Seuss:

description

description

Upon reading it, it became painfully obvious that this was no Dr. Seuss book. Being deceived like that makes me wonder if I'll read another book...

</span ...more
Beth
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dr. Seuss without the annoying morality tale.
La Coccinelle
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Holy crap! Why are P. D. Eastman books so long?! (No wonder my mom always hated reading us Are You My Mother? Seventy-two pages make for a long picture book.)

There's no real story to Go, Dog. Go! It's basically just a book of colours, sizes, prepositions, etc. featuring a multitude of dogs. There's plenty to look at. There's a repeating element of two dogs meeting and one asking the other if they like their hat. The pictures are interesting, and clearly show what the dogs are doing.

I'm not sure if this is really a book for storyti
Donna Bijas
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book to read to children. Alas, I read to dogs who didn't even care for the pictures! Haha.
Oliver

• Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • A Fly Went By
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 152 books)
  • The Eye Book
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story
  • The Big Honey Hunt
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words