Start by marking “Holiday by Candlelight (Sutter Creek, Montana)” as Want to Read:
Holiday by Candlelight (Sutter Creek, Montana)

Holiday by Candlelight

(Sutter Creek, Montana #3)

A tragic accident ended the life he once knew

Is a Hanukkah miracle right around the corner?

This year, Dr. Caleb Matsuda could do without holiday cheer. After an avalanche robbed him of his ability to practice surgery, he struggles to make it through each day. He may be intrigued by new colleague Garnet James, but she’s also a search-and-rescue volunteer who could be in
Published November 1st 2019 by Harlequin Special Edition

To ask other readers questions about Holiday by Candlelight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holiday by Candlelight

Start your review of Holiday by Candlelight (Sutter Creek, Montana)
Xan West
DNF at 41%

Content Warnings (view spoiler)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Is this a Hanukkah story?? Is it? Because it sure didn't read like one...

I picked this one up because as a Jew, I'm always looking to read at least one good Hanukkah romance a year. Just one! Is that so much to ask? But, alas, I was disappointed by this one.

To have a Hanukkah romance with an Asian MC is pretty noteworthy, actually. I don't think I've ever read a Hanukkah romance where the MC was a POC, so I found it strange that it was barely mentioned in the story. I mean, I saw the cover and
Smut Report
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc2019
Heat Factor: Let’s tryst on this ski lift!
Character Chemistry: My PTSD is incompatible with your hobbies!
Plot: They are planning a holiday party together, but really it’s about Caleb dealing with his PTSD in a place that triggers his PTSD
Overall: Diversity tokenism done wrong

Before I start ranting about diversity and representation in fiction, let me begin by acknowledging that this is a decent love story, mainly because the central conflict is interesting. See, Caleb was caught in an avalanche
Melinda
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Super irritated how the book handled the PTSD and Garnet was incredibly insensitive to both the hero and side characters multiple times
Susan
A bit of false advertising - not really a "holiday" romance in the true sense of the word. Yes, Christmas/Hanukkah are taking place but they're fairly incidental to the plot. I came for the Jewish/biracial hero but left disappointed.

The romance is fine, I guess. Former hot-shot surgeon Caleb is recovering from the PTSD of surviving an avalanche and losing the use of one of his hands, and he can barely get on a ski lift, much less consider having a girlfriend who takes dangerous risks working
Olivia
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-reviews
HOLIDAY BY CANDLELIGHT is an overall charming holiday-themed romance. Caleb is/was a surgeon until he was caught in an avalanche, and his hand was injured. He is also dealing with some PTSD that he is working to overcome, and which was in part the reason he moved to the small town. He is planning a holiday party for work with Garnet, which is complicated by not having a venue at the last minute.

As they work together on this, the best option seems to be a ski lodge, which brings up a lot of
Pinot & Pickles
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting. This really isn’t a “holiday” romance novel. Yes, Christmas/Hanukkah are taking place but the plot really is about Caleb dealing with his PTSD after being caught in an avalanche that ruined his surgeon career.

Although not a holiday romance novel, it did draw me in right from page one. The trauma, fear, stress and survivor’s guilt Caleb had been through truly pulled at my heartstrings.
Gabbi Grey
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in Sutter Creek

Two years ago there was a bad avalanche in Whistler, British Columbia. A number of Sutter Creek residents and their friends were caught up in it. Some, like Zach and Tavish, survived. Some, like Cadie’s husband, died. And some, like Caleb Matsuda, were injured. In the last book, Zach learned to deal with his survivor’s guilt and eventually he and Cadie came together over their shared grief. Turning to each other, they found love. After the slide, Caleb lost love. He’d been
Leigh Kramer
DNF at 28%

I wanted to read this because it was presented as a Hanukkah romance. While I DNFed fairly early on, according to other reviews, this isn't that. The hero does reference being culturally Jewish a few times (there's also brief reference to his mom being Jewish and his dad being lapsed Methodist) and the heroine offers to make their holiday party inclusive. However, he doesn't want to stick out and says it's fine for it to be a Christmas party instead. So this is basically a Christmas
Katie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In this new release by Laurel Greer, two people will have to learn to work through their trauma in order to find love.

Caleb is looking for a way back to normal. After being caught in an avalanche that ruined his surgeon career, he's moved to a sleepy ski town to find himself again and work through his trauma. Garnet has enough trouble knowing herself. She's always changed for others, and wants no part in changing for yet another man. But when the two meet, sparks fly. Will they be able to work
Lynn Brooks
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOLIDAY BY CANDLELIGHT is book three in Laurel Greer's Sutter Creek, Montana series and revolves around a former surgeon turned family physician and a search and rescue member. Caleb is trying to pick up the pieces of his life after an injury in an avalanche robbed him of his ability to perform surgery and thinks settling in Sutter Creek might be just the answer he's been looking for.

He's still suffering from the emotional aftermath of being buried alive and having his future change drastically
3 Stars

Review coming soon...
JoAnne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my review on RomanceJunkies.com by clicking on the link below:

Kimberly
Reviewed for Wit and Sin

You can’t judge a book by its cover, and that’s definitely the case for Holiday by Candlelight . While the couple embracing and lighting the menorah on the cover (not to mention the book blurb) might indicate a warm Hanukkah romance in the vein of the thousands of Christmas romances out there, it honestly has nothing to do with the holiday. Caleb, the Jewish hero of the story, is either an observant Jew or a bacon-loving nonobservant Jew. Either one or somewhere in
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Sorry but it was boring to me. Hardly got through it.
Caiti (The Romance Mom)
I didn't NOT like this book. I liked it.

But...I thought it was going to be a holiday romance. Hanukkah and Christmas are technically happening but it has very little to do with the actual story. So that was a big distraction for me. The cover literally features the couple all snuggly as they light a menorah. Basking in the glow of love and holiday candlelight...

The story is actually about PTSD and how that impacts the couple's relationship. Caleb and Garnet are planning a holiday party but you
Amy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn, this was an *excellent* way to get into the Hanukkah spirit. Caleb and Garnet were extraordinary together. Reading them work through their PTSD and their plethora of issues truly wrenched my heart out. This book is a beautiful, brilliant book.
Jacqueline Francis
This was a cute story. I think the major issue is that the cover really promotes this story as a Hannakuh book but there is hardly any reference to it.

I didn’t particularly like the hero or the heroine, but that’s just a personal preference. I didn’t think they were a great match and I didn’t enjoy where their conflict came from. I thought they both were a little too stuck in their ways about certain things.

That said, it was fun to read about search and rescue!

I received a copy in exchange for
Skye Kilaen
Oct 06, 2019 marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
Nope nope nope, based on this review and multiple other reviews with same/similar observations: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Living My Best Book Life
Holiday by Candlelight is a holiday romance about love and healing. The book is set in a small town which I really loved. It made the characters and town feel like a community!!

The story follows Caleb and Garnet as they work together to plan a work party. Caleb is a former surgeon who was injured during an avalanche. He is still having a tough time moving on from the accident which is understandable. Garnet is a new colleague who always wants to help. When they meet Garnet wants to help Caleb
Erin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So based on the cover (see the giant menorah with the couple lighting it?) and the blurb, you’d think this was a book about Hanukkah, right? Nope. Caleb has one Jewish parent and he invites his friends over for Hanukkah dinner, but there’s no discussion of the holiday itself. At all. There was way more Christmas in this story than Hanukkah. I don’t know if it was the publisher’s decision to market it as a Hanukkah romance, but it was not accurate advertising.

The plot itself was okay, but had
Lovely Loveday
Holiday by Candlelight is the third book in the Sutter Creek, Montana series by Laurel Greer. A lovely holiday romance that is sure to warm your heart this holiday season. The characters are realistic and are struggling with issues that many can relate to. The setting is the perfect backdrop to this touching story that is sure to stay with you long after reading.
Crystal Gray
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I was really looking forward to a good holiday romance. This fell short. This wasn't about the holidays like I though, but more about PTSD and it's effects on starting a new relationship. While there is nothing really wrong with that, I feel it should have been more clear.
Harlequin Books